Knowledge Zenith (KZ) impressions thread
Feb 6, 2016 at 4:58 AM Post #9,496 of 63,915
Originally Posted by EISENbricher

ZN1mini has 4 pin connectors but it lacks any switch or mic. 
It's been mentioned on the product page for ZN1mini on KZs own store on Ali.

hi again and ty for the reply
Well now.. how to put it.
Zn1 mini seems to have mic. Actually I am using it right now..........
I am on the phone and use it as hands free
How do they hear me loud and clear as they say?
The phone is the full distance away in my back pocket.
ty

Feb 6, 2016 at 5:15 AM Post #9,497 of 63,915
So I have around $25 refund to spend and my choices are limited.
I am considering to buy Piston 3 ($12.5) and KZ ED9 ($13) or 1More Voice of China ($21) and another extremely cheap KZ maybe?

From KZ line they have ATE ($10.5), EDR1 ($7.5), ATE-S ($14.5), ED4 ($6), EDR2 ($6), ED3 ($12)

Should I still consider Piston 3? I think that ED9 is a solid buy, so should I try another KZ of the above mentioned?
I have HDS1 and I'm pretty satisfied so far by the sound and fitting.
I'm looking for good midrange and I listen mainly to Rock, no amp. (NO EDM ever!)

Feb 6, 2016 at 5:34 AM Post #9,498 of 63,915
So I have around $25 refund to spend and my choices are limited.
I am considering to buy Piston 3 ($12.5) and KZ ED9 ($13) or 1More Voice of China ($21) and another extremely cheap KZ maybe?

From KZ line they have ATE ($10.5), EDR1 ($7.5), ATE-S ($14.5), ED4 ($6), EDR2 ($6), ED3 ($12)

Should I still consider Piston 3? I think that ED9 is a solid buy, so should I try another KZ of the above mentioned?
I have HDS1 and I'm pretty satisfied so far by the sound and fitting.
I'm looking for good midrange and I listen mainly to Rock, no amp. (NO EDM ever!)

Rock zircons and you are done. Also drop Pistons and go for zn1 mini and/or Ate((not the S) patrioti

Feb 6, 2016 at 8:01 AM Post #9,500 of 63,915
Rock zircons and you are done. Also drop Pistons and go for zn1 mini and/or Ate((not the S) patrioti

Probably Zircons are extremely bassy for my tastes and also they're not available at that shop.
From KZ line there are only those I've mentioned above so no zn1 mini either.
I will consider ATE although I don't know how bad is the memory wire

Feb 6, 2016 at 8:12 AM Post #9,501 of 63,915

Probably Zircons are extremely bassy for my tastes and also they're not available at that shop.
From KZ line there are only those I've mentioned above so no zn1 mini either.
I will consider ATE although I don't know how bad is the memory wire

I had the zs1 gave it as a present just because of the over ear wire.
A deal breaker for me.
That's why I suggested the ATE regular.

Feb 6, 2016 at 8:13 AM Post #9,502 of 63,915
Originally Posted by EISENbricher

ZN1mini has 4 pin connectors but it lacks any switch or mic. 
It's been mentioned on the product page for ZN1mini on KZs own store on Ali.

hi again and ty for the reply
Well now.. how to put it.
Zn1 mini seems to have mic. Actually I am using it right now..........
I am on the phone and use it as hands free
How do they hear me loud and clear as they say?
The phone is the full distance away in my back pocket.
ty

Just for the sake I did testing on both my mobile phones (Lumia 520, Gionee E7) and sister's phone (Lenovo P1).

None of the phone shows mic icon when connected (it does with my HDS1 mic version) and doesn't function as expected.

Phone mics are very sensitive, maybe it's picking your voice even from far? But from my own testing as well as from kzs product page all I can say is that ZN1mini lacks mic.

Feb 6, 2016 at 8:18 AM Post #9,503 of 63,915
Just for the sake I did testing on both my mobile phones (Lumia 520, Gionee E7) and sister's phone (Lenovo P1).

None of the phone shows mic icon when connected (it does with my HDS1 mic version) and doesn't function as expected.

Phone mics are very sensitive, maybe it's picking your voice even from far? But from my own testing as well as from kzs product page all I can say is that ZN1mini lacks mic.

Tnx.
If I knew then what I know now.
But soooo much commentry on zn1 and no mentioning of such an important issue?
Rgds

Feb 6, 2016 at 8:58 AM Post #9,504 of 63,915
  I use my IEMs a lot on public transport, so I've made real life tests. ATE was one I had a lot of expectations on regarding isolation, but frankly it doesn't isolate much at all. HDS1 with the right tips is way way better, IMO. Might be that I never got as good a seal with ATE, but to be honest I don't think that's the whole  reason.

Anyway. HDS1 isolates better, and they're pretty damn good for the price. 

I have the ED10 as well, but they have a weird shape, and it was really hard for me to get decent isolation since I couldn't get a good deep insertion. ED9 actually isolated better than I expected, and with the brass nozzles and the right tips they are also really good.

Anyway, out of all those, I'd go for the HDS1 or HDS3 (although I think the jury's still out on that one, even though a few people seem to like it).

Just my $0.02 :)

i oredered ED11 should i cancel the order?

Feb 6, 2016 at 9:04 AM Post #9,505 of 63,915
i oredered ED11 should i cancel the order?

Nope, ED10/11 actually the most comfortable IEM that I've ever had. Fit is very personal. Please don't judge any IEMs 'fit' from a single opinion.

I'd suggest to gather opinion of multiple ED10/11 owners and go with majority.

Feb 6, 2016 at 9:11 AM Post #9,506 of 63,915
Tnx.
If I knew then what I know now.
But soooo much commentry on zn1 and no mentioning of such an important issue?
Rgds

ZN1 (with amp) has mic while ZN1mini doesn't. Let's first eliminate that ambiguity.

I think most people on head fi forum use their earphones with DAP/DAC or other sources. Main reason is that most phones' output suffer from typical low end audio gear such as poor impedance match, frequency roll off and low output current.

Personally I've always preferred non mic versions because they have one less weak point in build (the mic cable joint)

Feb 6, 2016 at 9:32 AM Post #9,507 of 63,915
Nope, ED10/11 actually the most comfortable IEM that I've ever had. Fit is very personal. Please don't judge any IEMs 'fit' from a single opinion.

I'd suggest to gather opinion of multiple ED10/11 owners and go with majority.

i used the search tool in the thread and i guess people seem to like it. but is it durable? i lost my sony nc31em because cable torsion. my budget is 20$ if there is a better recommendation for higher price and i was going to purchase piston 3

and i really like the ROCK Zircon

Feb 6, 2016 at 9:41 AM Post #9,508 of 63,915
i used the search tool in the thread and i guess people seem to like it. but is it durable? i lost my sony nc31em because cable torsion. my budget is 20$ if there is a better recommendation for higher price and i was going to purchase piston 3

Earpiece, check. Built like tank.
Cable, check. Usual KZ cable.
Connector, check. Usual L shape KZ.

You'll know KZ build quality if you've even used any model in past.

Can't comment about earpiece joint though, no KZ joint has ever failed me and I'm not gonna pull it for the sake of testing, haha.

Feb 6, 2016 at 10:07 AM Post #9,509 of 63,915

and i really like the ROCK Zircon

Piston 3's kevlar cable tend to drag out if pulled hard, or so I've heard, other than that, it seems rugged, with decent materials

Feb 6, 2016 at 10:13 AM Post #9,510 of 63,915
  Piston 3's kevlar cable tend to drag out if pulled hard, or so I've heard, other than that, it seems rugged, with decent materials

i tried the piston 3 for about 5 mins. not enough time to make an opinion but i like it's materials. 

however i will keep ED11 and buy another IEM

Piston 3, some people say it doesn't fit with any tips
Rock Zircon
ATE
HDS1

i really like the Rock Zircon

Users who are viewing this thread

Back