Knowledge Zenith (KZ) impressions thread
Jan 27, 2016 at 4:49 AM Post #9,242 of 63,998
  My HDS 3 has arrived.

Hi to all,
I received today the "new" HDS3.
My first comments are as follows.
Acoustics.
They contain the same excellent Japanese driver that HDS1 has been famous for.
therefore the same excellent acoustic profile and leave it here.
The cable has been improved to a less sticky opaque black which is more agreeable to the touch.
The microphone has been moved as a single enclosure with the splitter. A new design splash. Not bad looking.

And now some design flaws
the plastic sleeve that shines nicely in the 3'5 jack is far too thick and you will need to open a bigger hole in your telephone's protective cover. Otherwise it will not go all the way in .... funny

Also
There is no L,R marking. Just Red and Green Colour code.
And here I need your input. Is red always right in Kz?
At least in ATE's that I know of Red is the right earpiece.
(Pls help with an easy way of making sure thx)
Summary.
As you have guessed my favourite KZ are the ATE's and the HDS1&3.
But some how I tend to like more the colours of HDS1 but with the cable of the HDS3 and the mic at the splitter.
The 3.5 jack flaw is naively .....funny.
I think KZ should steal one of Rock Zirgon's designers. which is the pair that concludes my holy trinity of cheap earphones.
I hope this might have been of some help.
Thnx a lot

There is blue=>Left , Right => Red . the same as EDSE. 
or this picture could earlier to memory. I hope they could put a "hump" in one side, so that could easy to touch.

Jan 27, 2016 at 6:22 AM Post #9,243 of 63,998
Hi guys, can u recommend a kz for me? I dont know wether the kz's are better than stock earphone of my phone.

Source: galaxy s6
Music: hiphop, rnd, techno, rock, acoustics, and some orchestra.
Features: mic, non grippy wires
TIA

Sent from my SM-G920I using Tapatalk

Jan 27, 2016 at 6:24 AM Post #9,244 of 63,998
Hi guys, can u recommend a kz for me? I dont know wether the kz's are better than stock earphone of my phone.

Source: galaxy s6
Music: hiphop, rnd, techno, rock, acoustics, and some orchestra.
Features: mic, non grippy wires
TIA

Ed9 with which you can choose the nozzle (bassy sound or neutral sound) seems to fit you well regarding your preferences.

Jan 27, 2016 at 6:30 AM Post #9,245 of 63,998
Ed9 with which you can choose the nozzle (bassy sound or neutral sound) seems to fit you well regarding your preferences.

..except that the cable is pretty grippy and, IMHO, pretty annoying (at least mic version). Then again, most KZ seem to come with a sort of grippy wire, the only one I can remember that doesn't have one is my old EDSE..

Jan 27, 2016 at 7:42 AM Post #9,246 of 63,998
So recently i've tried my kz lp3 again after a month its being stored in some shelf. The sound quality is a very bright and detailed one, for my reference, I compared it to my samson sr850 headphone which is a copy of superlux hd668b. I tested it again because my taste has changed and i'm one of those people who can say that supelux isn't very sibilant, so my impression of kz lp3 is quite similar in detail retrieval like the samson but has a less bass and might increase the sense of detail when hearing one. Fitting is a hit and miss, my head is quite large and I need to twist the headphone to my liking, even then fit is still quite uncomfortable, very low clamping force for me, maybe changing pads can help. Sorry for my English, i'm Asian and writing these in a hurr.y

Jan 27, 2016 at 7:45 AM Post #9,247 of 63,998
..except that the cable is pretty grippy and, IMHO, pretty annoying (at least mic version). Then again, most KZ seem to come with a sort of grippy wire, the only one I can remember that doesn't have one is my old EDSE..
that varies from batch to batch imo. My old edse has grippy sort of cable and ed9 has less grippy one.

I agree though that most KZs have grippy cable. It could be from moderate to high. DT3 and R1 had different colored opaque cables which were less or not grippy at all. This can be mitigated by application of little talcum powder.

Jan 27, 2016 at 7:46 AM Post #9,248 of 63,998

Thanks guys. i will check out the iems you have mentioned. I find it very hard to choose kz's because i cant find a list or we site with all the specs of each.

Jan 27, 2016 at 9:15 AM Post #9,249 of 63,998
Thanks guys. i will check out the iems you have mentioned. I find it very hard to choose kz's because i cant find a list or we site with all the specs of each.

Its okay... I'll list few KZs and their unique attributes that I have tried and consider better among the lineup..

ATE : Smooth/Mellow sound, very good mids and nice soundstage.

ED9 : Versatile and likely to be liked by most people.

HDS1 : Very comfortable, high resolution and very good mainstream sound.

ZN1 mini : Spacious soundstage, mellow sound with fairly high details.

Or get these 4 and be happy!

My terminology may conflict with some people but this is just my opinion about my top KZs.

Jan 27, 2016 at 9:19 AM Post #9,250 of 63,998
Its okay... I'll list few KZs and their unique attributes that I have tried and consider better among the lineup..

ATE : Smooth/Mellow sound, very good mids and nice soundstage.

ED9 : Versatile and likely to be liked by most people.

HDS1 : Very comfortable, high resolution and very good mainstream sound.

ZN1 mini : Spacious soundstage, mellow sound with fairly high details.

Or get these 4 and be happy!

My terminology may conflict with some people but this is just my opinion about my top KZs.

ED3 Acme Youth is also very good IMO.

Jan 27, 2016 at 9:19 AM Post #9,251 of 63,998
EDR2 arrived! They certainly lack the visual flair of the EDse. Housing looks identical in proportions, but they are much lighter. Now to see how they sound...

Edit: Oh yeah....these are very nice.

One is aluminum and the other pot metal right? Same thing applies to the HDS1 and ED9's
wink_face.gif

Jan 27, 2016 at 9:27 AM Post #9,252 of 63,998
One is aluminum and the other pot metal right? Same thing applies to the HDS1 and ED9's:wink_face:

Yeah, I'm guessing steel vs. aluminium. Makes a surprisingly big difference in comfort and fit given the mold is identical.

I think my HDS3 should be arriving soon. Curious to see/hear the differences vs. The HDS1.

Jan 27, 2016 at 9:38 AM Post #9,253 of 63,998
Thanks for your impressions EISEN! I only have ATE from KZ atm, but ZN1 Mini on order, really can't wait :). I really enjoy my ATE's, but would like to get a bit more present midbass but especially: treble extension. Listening to songs I know well it becomes pretty apparent that they're (my pair at least) pretty rolled off at the top end. I'm also a soundstage buff :). If ZN1 Mini improves on these areas, I think I'm gonna be one happy camper ! (OT: Just got my VE Monks in - holy crap - ATE will probably just be used for my electronic music fix - psytrance / dub stuff like Bluetech & Shpongle :) )

Jan 27, 2016 at 10:08 AM Post #9,254 of 63,998
My top fav KZ's
drum roll please...

#1~ED9 brass
#2~ED3 Acme Youth
#3~EDSE

Good but getting no head-time...
ED3 Perfection
HDS1
ED10

didn't enjoy due to sound or fit issue's...
ATE-S
ZS1
CM9

JMHO YMMV

Jan 27, 2016 at 10:12 AM Post #9,255 of 63,998
  My top fav KZ's
drum roll please...

#1~ED9 brass
#2~ED3 Acme Youth
#3~EDSE

Good but getting no head-time...
ED3 Perfection
HDS1
ED10

didn't enjoy due to sound or fit issue's...
ATE-S
ZS1
CM9

JMHO YMMV

What is your sound preference and your usual kind of music? That will help some people to know which KZ is good for what :b

Users who are viewing this thread

Back