Knowledge Zenith (KZ) impressions thread
Jun 29, 2015 at 11:45 AM Post #4,891 of 64,304
  Okay here are my initial impressions (mind you i'm still a noob at describing sound):

To my ears, the ED10 sounds mid-centric/bright and fairly cold sounding especially when comparing it to the ATE. It does seem to have quite a large soundstage but I would say it's slightly below that of the ATE. Bass seems to be recessed and there doesn't seem to be much sub-bass. I find the sound to be very similar to the ED9 but without ANY warmth. 

So in order of preference: ED9, ATE (although with a dac, I would say this is pretty close to the ED9), ED10, GR

Now to test the ANV!

EDIT: They sound very different with the black "normal tips" than with blue spiral tips. I've got to learn to stop using using the fancy tips KZs come with.......Back to the listening board

Okay so I went back and listened to the ED10 with the large black tips (which have  much narrower bore and a better seal for me). The sound still seems to have elevated mids but the focus is really the bass. There's quite a bit of it, particularly sub-bass. I reckon these have as much if not slightly more sub-bass than the tenore. While I find the sound signature comparable to the ATE, the ATE have a much bigger soundstage and more laid-back/relaxed sound to them. These are much more in your face but make for quite a fun sound and listening experience. 

Thanks! Glad I didn`t rush into buying ED10. Atm I`m loving my black ATE very much. Been "torturing" it with more powerful desk amp for some time and it seems to have "opened & cleaned up" more. Definitely best soundstage and imaging out of KZ IEM`s I have. Despite ANV being little more detailed, I find ATE more fuller/dynamic and pleasant sounding... I`m enjoying music again without trying to "pick" on sound and that makes ATE best KZ IEM to me (with little edge over ANV/ED9).
I think I have finally found my endgame budget IEM 
wink.gif

Now all I have to do is littlebit modding (cable change + wood + grill mod) and I`m happy to "leave" this thread and become frequent observer. Will post some pics when I finish modding.

Cheers fellow KZ maniacs! Was fun being part of KZ rally
beerchug.gif

Jun 29, 2015 at 1:07 PM Post #4,892 of 64,304

Thanks! Glad I didn`t rush into buying ED10. Atm I`m loving my black ATE very much. Been "torturing" it with more powerful desk amp for some time and it seems to have "opened & cleaned up" more. Definitely best soundstage and imaging out of KZ IEM`s I have. Despite ANV being little more detailed, I find ATE more fuller/dynamic and pleasant sounding... I`m enjoying music again without trying to "pick" on sound and that makes ATE best KZ IEM to me (with little edge over ANV/ED9).
I think I have finally found my endgame budget IEM 
wink.gif

Now all I have to do is littlebit modding (cable change + wood + grill mod) and I`m happy to "leave" this thread and become frequent observer. Will post some pics when I finish modding.

Cheers fellow KZ maniacs! Was fun being part of KZ rally
beerchug.gif

ATE has better soundstage and ED9 is more detailed. It would be great if KZ could have a future product to combine the pros. of both of them.

Jun 29, 2015 at 1:34 PM Post #4,894 of 64,304
  ATE has better soundstage and ED9 is more detailed. It would be great if KZ could have a future product to combine the pros. of both of them.

Actually I find ATE being more detailed 
rolleyes.gif
 ATE has better balanced/neutral (with tinybit warmth) sound signature, separation (especially in width), transparency, imaging and soundstage... this all results overall better details. 
I think You are confusing Your ears with ED9 "brighter" sound signature (litttlebit harsh highs) and thus find it more "detailed". 
Details are not only in one frequency range and ATE does details better if whole FR is taken into account.
Btw, can You remind me and others what You are using for source gear? SQ depends A LOT from source gear also.

IMO

One can never stop buying IEMs!!
Well, I just hope you can make it. 
biggrin.gif

Well, just some more ATE`s incoming soon (for gift and backup) 
tongue.gif

Jun 29, 2015 at 3:12 PM Post #4,895 of 64,304
  Actually I find ATE being more detailed 
rolleyes.gif
 ATE has better balanced/neutral (with tinybit warmth) sound signature, separation (especially in width), transparency, imaging and soundstage... this all results overall better details. 
I think You are confusing Your ears with ED9 "brighter" sound signature (litttlebit harsh highs) and thus find it more "detailed". 
Details are not only in one frequency range and ATE does details better if whole FR is taken into account.
Btw, can You remind me and others what You are using for source gear? SQ depends A LOT from source gear also.

IMO

Well, just some more ATE`s incoming soon (for gift and backup) 
tongue.gif

I did not AB them. It's from my memory and without burning in. From other posts, it seems not only I think ED9 is more detailed. Analysis of ATE is most weak at high frequency (compared to itself).
I use laptop with MusicBee or Nexus 7 with Neutron, amplified by NX1. They are not that high end like IE80, no detectable improvement with better source.

Jun 29, 2015 at 3:32 PM Post #4,896 of 64,304
Hmm... well coil is the only one so far to say the ED9 is less detailed than the ATE. For rock and classical would the ATE or ANV be a good buy? I need isolation, and there have been reports the ATE bizzarely doesn't seal well. How is the ANV for rock music?

Jun 29, 2015 at 3:48 PM Post #4,897 of 64,304
Of course, ED9 with mods/material stuffed in nozzles would sound less detailed than ATE. Any material would block passage of certain frequencies. Just like pulling down specific knobs on EQ.

As per my comparison after spending some quality time, ED9 with stock brass filter sounds more detailed, provides rich micro details. Gold nozzle kind of kills the details while emphasizing on low end. ATE is smooth, warm sounding IEM with fair amount of details while keeping respectable slam in lows. (ATE is very tip dependent though).

Jun 29, 2015 at 4:08 PM Post #4,899 of 64,304
BTW, when I say 2D, I mean it lacks height, not depth. But only in those high end like KEF M200, IE80, 800 can I find height of the soundstage, so fully 3D sound. So it does not mean that the presentation of ED9 is not good. On the contrary, it's great for a budgeted product.

Jun 29, 2015 at 4:10 PM Post #4,900 of 64,304
I have said all I have to say about ED9 vs. ATE details. Wish ppl could read my posts properly and think along what I`m saying. Unfortunately many here just grab onto one thing ripped out of context and "amplify" it. I really don`t bother to comment anymore and "prove" something. I have found what I was looking for and ATE it is
wink.gif

Seeya next time with mod pics! :wink:

Jun 29, 2015 at 6:57 PM Post #4,902 of 64,304
cool.gif
Has anybody tried the Moxpad (X3 and X6) Yet?

cool.gif
cool.gif
TWIN

Jun 29, 2015 at 11:40 PM Post #4,903 of 64,304
:cool: Has anybody tried the Moxpad (X3 and X6) Yet?

:cool: :cool: TWIN

http://www.head-fi.org/t/684159/chinese-asian-brand-info-thread-headphones-iems-amps-dacs/16545#post_11727237

This is the right place for that. I've seen lot of moxpad discussions here.

Jun 29, 2015 at 11:50 PM Post #4,904 of 64,304
  I have said all I have to say about ED9 vs. ATE details. Wish ppl could read my posts properly and think along what I`m saying. Unfortunately many here just grab onto one thing ripped out of context and "amplify" it. I really don`t bother to comment anymore and "prove" something. I have found what I was looking for and ATE it is
wink.gif

Seeya next time with mod pics! :wink:

Excuse me, please clarify this? Who amplified what and how it's wrong that a material inside nozzle doesn't affect details. I'll be glad to know.
The context is same as always, source gear and etc, everyone knows it... we are on head-fi dude.

Jun 30, 2015 at 3:33 AM Post #4,905 of 64,304
  Actually i had a bad fitting with Sony hybrids, i probably had a syntax "error" on my post xD, well my Sony hybrids are a bit different either way, i tried the normal ones too though. 
Anyway everything is subjective, but the fact is that ATE is indeed tip sensitive.

Ooops, my mistake XD, but yea i get best fit and seal with hybrid tips, maybe just different person different ear canals. I have JDM spinfit but ATE nozzles are too large to insert, I'm afraid it will break the spinfit :\

Users who are viewing this thread

Back