Knowledge Zenith (KZ) impressions thread
Feb 15, 2015 at 11:52 AM Post #2,701 of 64,402
  Hard to put a single opinion on each IEM, what are you listening to? 320?...256mp3, Flac and also what is powering it? Phones tend to fall a little short I feel if you are using IEMs...treble on an MP3 can be felt more while a Flac seems warmer. its all a mix and match as some will sound the best for you with your set up but rubbish for another. If you listen to mp3 with your KZ maybe dig out your old CD player and try with that or play a flac or mp3 through the pc it is good to get an all round opinion for yourself :)

Fidelity appreciation here on Head-Fi is at times like religion. Count me as a skeptic. Dozens of blind listening tests point to the conclusion that most people can't tell the difference between a properly encoded v0/320k mp3 vs. FLAC. And for those that can tell the difference it's close enough that it doesn't matter. The main benefit of FLAC is the option to transcode to new audio encoding formats as they become available in the future. Or to convert to other lossless or lossy formats.

Feb 15, 2015 at 11:56 AM Post #2,702 of 64,402
Speak for yourself and this is not the thread to start discussing about FLAC vs. MP3.

Feb 15, 2015 at 12:24 PM Post #2,704 of 64,402
I`m not being rude. Just a reminder that this is KZ IEM thread and this subject is offtopic (topic that raises flame quite often, so better not to start with it).

Feb 15, 2015 at 12:55 PM Post #2,705 of 64,402

Fidelity appreciation here on Head-Fi is at times like religion. Count me as a skeptic. Dozens of blind listening tests point to the conclusion that most people can't tell the difference between a properly encoded v0/320k mp3 vs. FLAC. And for those that can tell the difference it's close enough that it doesn't matter. The main benefit of FLAC is the option to transcode to new audio encoding formats as they become available in the future. Or to convert to other lossless or lossy formats.

It was not an attempt to do a Flac vs MP3 just a view on how different devices will change a persons perception on KZ headphones being it MP3, WMA, FLAC etc and how the device pairs up with the EDSE for example. Some say its muddy sounding IEM but througha portable CD player it may sound different. Not in anyway a format vs format kick off. 

Feb 15, 2015 at 1:56 PM Post #2,706 of 64,402
True. I agree. One should be trying something better than smartphone to get the true nature of certain IEM.

Feb 15, 2015 at 11:13 PM Post #2,707 of 64,402
What about the size of the ED8 vs EDSE nozzles? Are these the same? I just don't want to buy tips that won't fit my EDSE.

ED8 nozzle has larger diameter than EDSE nozzle. Comply s400 fit on EDSE, while ED8 needs s500.

Feb 16, 2015 at 1:42 PM Post #2,708 of 64,402
I just found this thread.... Very interesting! However, I think it is quite difficult to get an overview. Could any of you please tell me what are the most popular models, and what are their sound characteristics, or how do they compare?
And how is build quality for the most popular models? Have you experienced that anything broke?

Thanks 

Feb 16, 2015 at 3:09 PM Post #2,709 of 64,402
I just found this thread.... Very interesting! However, I think it is quite difficult to get an overview. Could any of you please tell me what are the most popular models, and what are their sound characteristics, or how do they compare?
And how is build quality for the most popular models? Have you experienced that anything broke?

Thanks 

Hi and welcome to KZ thread. IMO KZ has best vfm among all eatphome brands.

So, the popular and easily available ones include

KZ EDSE : Thread darling, most satisfaction rate among KZ models. Balanced sound with enough bass (subjective to opinion), good fit, decent cable and build quality, metal construction. Sturdy L jack.

KZ DT3 : Another nice sounding KZ. Warmer than EDSE. Lightweight because of plastic build. Known for warm sig and good details.

KZ ED3 : More emphasis on treble. Look fantastic and built well.

KZ ED8 : Latest model by KZ. Great build quality and good sound for money. Bass can be overwhelming. Too heavy and can be used for self defence.

KZ R1: Cheapest KZ model, still recently being praised by KZ veterans. Looks like Senn CX300. Very good fit and nice cable.

Also please buy KZ stuff from KZ official flagship store, they sell these for the cheapest price.

I hope this helps.

Feb 16, 2015 at 3:37 PM Post #2,710 of 64,402

Thanks 

Hi and welcome to KZ thread. IMO KZ has best vfm among all eatphome brands.

So, the popular and easily available ones include

KZ EDSE : Thread darling, most satisfaction rate among KZ models. Balanced sound with enough bass (subjective to opinion), good fit, decent cable and build quality, metal construction. Sturdy L jack.

KZ DT3 : Another nice sounding KZ. Warmer than EDSE. Lightweight because of plastic build. Known for warm sig and good details.

KZ ED3 : More emphasis on treble. Look fantastic and built well.

KZ ED8 : Latest model by KZ. Great build quality and good sound for money. Bass can be overwhelming. Too heavy and can be used for self defence.

KZ R1: Cheapest KZ model, still recently being praised by KZ veterans. Looks like Senn CX300. Very good fit and nice cable.

Also please buy KZ stuff from KZ official flagship store, they sell these for the cheapest price.

I hope this helps.

I'll only add the aliexpress.com KZ flagship store...

Feb 16, 2015 at 4:46 PM Post #2,711 of 64,402
Balanced sound with enough bass (subjective to opinion), good fit, decent cable and build quality, metal construction. Sturdy L jack.

Good fit, decent cable and metal construction are also subjective to opinion. Personally, I wished tinybit more bass. Though build quality was ok, fit sucked because of heavy and too long/thin metal construction and cable caused also problems.
Though EDSE sounded very good, I find R35 to be better IEM all things considered. Very similar sound to Xiaomi Piston v2 (if same tips used and back sticker removed).

Feb 16, 2015 at 9:51 PM Post #2,712 of 64,402
Good fit, decent cable and metal construction are also subjective to opinion. Personally, I wished tinybit more bass. Though build quality was ok, fit sucked because of heavy and too long/thin metal construction and cable caused also problems.
Though EDSE sounded very good, I find R35 to be better IEM all things considered. Very similar sound to Xiaomi Piston v2 (if same tips used and back sticker removed).

How can metal construction be subjective to opinion? And btw when I see overwhelming majority of opinion about some fact, added into that my personal experience, I'd not call it subjective. Honestly, I don't remember if it was you, but last time when someone griped about edse cable, everyone objected. Of course man, it's a nice cable! Gotta acknowledge the facts. I'm sure you're not comparing it to Dita Truth xD

Now you always promote R35 so much, I respect your opinion but I've never seen much air here regarding those. I've seen seniors loveing micro ring but R35? Never.

Feb 17, 2015 at 12:30 AM Post #2,713 of 64,402

I have a DT3 where the front (chrome looking) part of the left housing separated from the back (grey) part of the housing, but it didn't affect the sound. It's my favourite sounding KZ earphone, with a huge bump in the low end (sub and mid-bass).
Not sure if it's related to build quality, but my DT3 has crazy amounts of driver flex so I use them with a shallow fit.

Feb 17, 2015 at 2:34 AM Post #2,714 of 64,402
I just noticed by accident that I've been using my EDSE in reverse, as I went intuitively for red - right...
biggrin.gif

Feb 17, 2015 at 3:52 AM Post #2,715 of 64,402
  I just noticed by accident that I've been using my EDSE in reverse, as I went intuitively for red - right...
biggrin.gif

Red = Right
Blue = Left 

on my EDSE

Users who are viewing this thread

Back