Knowledge Zenith (KZ) impressions thread
Jun 6, 2014 at 12:53 AM Post #76 of 63,915
  They are gr07 BE "like" with a similar signature. The gr07 BE is pretty epic and still better. Then again, the gr07 BE is a good iem for $200 IMHO. I put it away, test and demo the budget models, then go back to either them or the dnk. They are both lovely, and a reminder of how good these two are. I'm waiting for something under $100 to sound better than either of those two. Maybe it will be the vsd3? I hope so!

KZ ed3 is an absolute steal for 25 and well worth the 50 usd asking price. It's build quality and ergonomics are fantastic.

So is everyone's favourite KZ in-ear the ED3? 

Jun 6, 2014 at 2:51 PM Post #78 of 63,915
  They are gr07 BE "like" with a similar signature. The gr07 BE is pretty epic and still better. Then again, the gr07 BE is a good iem for $200 IMHO. I put it away, test and demo the budget models, then go back to either them or the dnk. They are both lovely, and a reminder of how good these two are. I'm waiting for something under $100 to sound better than either of those two. Maybe it will be the vsd3? I hope so!

KZ ed3 is an absolute steal for 25 and well worth the 50 usd asking price. It's build quality and ergonomics are fantastic.

Do you like them more than Tenore and KC06?

Jun 6, 2014 at 3:23 PM Post #79 of 63,915
Do you like them more than Tenore and KC06?
I'm not going to say I like one more than the other. I will compare them though...

Tenore- They isolate as well as tenore (I had to use aftermarket tips) they have a better cable and larger housings than the tenore. They are more midcentric than the tenore. They have equal bass quantity, or maybe slightly more than tenore, but bass quality on tenore is better. Treble seems more natural to me than on the tenore and is brighter (this could change with burn in)

KC06-Build quality is about a tie, but ed3 has better strain reliefs. KC06 has a more ergonomic fit. Neither of them have a cinch cable (bummer). This is harder to explain so I'll just give my opinion of which wins in each category.

Bass: ed3
Low mids: ed3
High mids: kc06
Treble: kc06
Soundstage: it's a tie
Detail: kc06
Isolation: ed3

Ed3 sounds fuller and richer to me. Kc06 sounds more balanced and more reference. ED3 is balanced more than most budget iems, but kc06 is just that good in terms of being flat. I honestly couldn't pick one over the other, they are both great.

These are just my opinions on the two. Hope it helps give you an idea of what they sound like.

Jun 6, 2014 at 3:50 PM Post #80 of 63,915
The thing I like about the ed3 (I'm sure someone is going to disagree) is that there's more high bass/low mids than on the tenore. The ed3 puts weight on male vocals and low notes of the piano. I feel like that was missing on the tenore. It's fixable on the tenore via an eq adjustment. Mids are more forward on the ed3 than the tenore. They are easier to drive than the tenore. The tenore is better in micro details. The treble and symbals on the ed3 are crisp and sharp. I'm starting to appreciate it when manufacturers tune their stuff to push the limits on treble just to the point that it's sharp but not annoyingly sibilant. The ed3 does just that.

Jun 8, 2014 at 5:01 PM Post #81 of 63,915
ED3 vs Pistons, which one wins? I think I lost my old Pistons, so I need a new pair 
mad.gif

Jun 8, 2014 at 5:34 PM Post #82 of 63,915
They have 2 different sound signatures so it's hard to put them against each other. I say that it's a tie. If you listen to many different kinds of music and want something more midcentric and balanced go with ed3. If you listen to a lot of edm, and electronic music and want lots of bass and a v signature, get the piston.

Jun 8, 2014 at 6:46 PM Post #83 of 63,915
  ED3 vs Pistons, which one wins? I think I lost my old Pistons, so I need a new pair 
mad.gif

ED3 in my books. The Pistons (2.0) were a surprise when I popped them in at first, but I struggled with the fit and the short cable and the sound signature gets tiresome after a while. So I got rid of them.

The ED3 looks better in real life than in the photos and feels smoother to my finger tips compared to the Pistons too 
etysmile.gif

Jun 14, 2014 at 11:03 AM Post #85 of 63,915
I have recieved KZ ED3 and want to say that they are not so great as Xiaomi Piston 2.1 with mod and tea bag. Scene of KZ ED3 is average, treble a bit sharp. But bass and treble are near to be perfect. As for quality, it is really cool, better that a lot of headphones that I had (UE600, Sennheiser IE8, Sunrise Xcape). Sound is incredible for price, but Pistons are better. In my opinion with mod and tea bag they are so great as Sennheiser IE8 or Audio-Technica M50.

Jun 26, 2014 at 8:23 AM Post #86 of 63,915
KZ ED3 now $19.25

http://www.aliexpress.com/item/-/1869010918.html?tracelog=rowan&rowan_id=ae_pay_low_mail_template_en_US_2014-06-25

Jun 26, 2014 at 12:09 PM Post #89 of 63,915
Jun 26, 2014 at 1:00 PM Post #90 of 63,915
I have received ED1, GR and C56R. C56R is not very bad, but only average headphones. ED1 is same level earphones with ED3. More dark, but more accurate at high mids. GR is my new favorite. It is really better than ED1 and ED3. Great scene, tasty powerful and fast bass, beautiful and full mids, excellent highs, more detailed than ED3 (one level with modded Pistons). 

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back