Knowledge Zenith (KZ) impressions thread
Nov 26, 2016 at 7:03 PM Post #13,743 of 64,158
Safest models to get are the KZ ATR, ZS3, and ED9.  ZST has been semi-popular over the last couple pages.

Nov 26, 2016 at 7:22 PM Post #13,744 of 64,158
I have the thread so far just overflown. I now got the Kz Atr. What models are the best of Kz? What should I get?

I only own the ATE and the ZS3. 

ATE is very neutral sounding, have a surprisingly large soundstage and crisp details.

The ZS3 are bassier earphones, they seem to have V-shaped signature yet I find that highs and some vocals can sometimes feel recessed.

If you like the neutral signature of the ATE, the ATR are considered an upgrade to them and there are some contentious arguments about whether the ATR or ZST are the best from KZ's lineup. Some say the ZST have a lot more intricate details, some say they are muddy. If you consider the ZST you should consider getting the silver upgrade cable which according to some measurements done by a user in this thread, noticeably improve the details and the crispness of the sound.

The ED9 are also very highly regarded and from what I've read I think they are similar to the ZS3 in terms of being bassier headphones.

I can recommend the ATE and ZS3, they are both very good depending on what type of sound signature you prefer. I can't speak for the others because I haven't heard them, I can only repeat what I've read about them.

The ED12 seem to be particularly disliked by many people on this thread, so I would perhaps avoid them at least for now until there are more proper reviews on them.

Edit: I'd like to give a shoutout to the KZ ZS1 which according to some people is the most unique sounding headphone of KZ's lineup. The sound signature is weird, but not in a bad way, according to them. But they were described as being very fun to listen to, so if you'd like to a unique listening experience then they are also a model you should consider.

Nov 27, 2016 at 4:40 AM Post #13,747 of 64,158
ZST's:
Spotify Premium: Toro Y Moi - Day One

Beginning really shows off just how large the soundstage is on the ZST's. Phenomenal. These make the ATE's look like childs play.

Nov 27, 2016 at 4:41 AM Post #13,748 of 64,158
I'm using the smallest tips included for ed3 and ed3m, honestly they're not very compatible with many tips. also i really hate the big housing and the lack of angled nozzle, if it weren't for the fact that i really love ed3 sound, i would throw them away already.

hopefully my double and triple flange tips that i ordered fit them

Nov 27, 2016 at 5:34 AM Post #13,750 of 64,158
ZST's:
Spotify Premium: Toro Y Moi - Day One

Beginning really shows off just how large the soundstage is on the ZST's. Phenomenal. These make the ATE's look like childs play.

That is what I am trying to tell about ZST here from the moment I got them, they are flipping good! :) My ATE, which I like, are no match for ZST.

Yesterday evening I listened to Edgar Meyer - Bass & Mandolin and with ZST it was a real pleasure

Nov 27, 2016 at 6:33 AM Post #13,751 of 64,158
Ordered 2x ATRs because ATE was my favorite IEM and it broke some months ago.
Reading about ZST the opinions are 50-50 some find them mediocre or straight up bad and some really like them.
I figured(from what I read) that it has a superb soundstage but the bass cover up the mids so vocals are recessed, still tempted to get them, I haven't tried BAs and this is really attractive...

Nov 27, 2016 at 6:49 AM Post #13,752 of 64,158
  Ordered 2x ATRs because ATE was my favorite IEM and it broke some months ago.
Reading about ZST the opinions are 50-50 some find them mediocre or straight up bad and some really like them.
I figured(from what I read) that it has a superb soundstage but the bass cover up the mids so vocals are recessed, still tempted to get them, I haven't tried BAs and this is really attractive...

I've read those same types of comments, and I share the same concerns as you, but then I read comments by other people and they say the opposite. They say that the level of details and clarity they get out of the ZST is easily superior to the ATE and not to say one side is lying, everyone has different impressions and preferences about headphones, but when I looked at the profiles of the people making positive comments about the ZST and compared them to some of the people criticizing them, the people who commended the ZST in general seemed to be people who had a lot of experience with many earphones of different brands and much higher budgets whereas those that criticized didn't, or at least some didn't that portion of their profiles updated.

If you read this thread, particularly the last 30ish pages without any context you might assume that the ATE are worth skipping over, whereas I kind of prefer them to the ZS3, even though the ZS3 have better features and have a more engaging sound, particularly with some types of tracks (I'm using them right now). My ZST are on order, have been for at least a couple of weeks and should be arriving sometime next week. If you don't mind waiting a few days longer I will post my impressions on this thread. I'm not saying my opinion is better than anyone else's, but at least I'm coming to the ZST from the same place you are: from adoring the KZ ATE and wanting to try other products from the KZ line.

Nov 27, 2016 at 7:44 AM Post #13,754 of 64,158

I've read those same types of comments, and I share the same concerns as you, but then I read comments by other people and they say the opposite. They say that the level of details and clarity they get out of the ZST is easily superior to the ATE and not to say one side is lying, everyone has different impressions and preferences about headphones, but when I looked at the profiles of the people making positive comments about the ZST and compared them to some of the people criticizing them, the people who commended the ZST in general seemed to be people who had a lot of experience with many earphones of different brands and much higher budgets whereas those that criticized didn't, or at least some didn't that portion of their profiles updated.

If you read this thread, particularly the last 30ish pages without any context you might assume that the ATE are worth skipping over, whereas I kind of prefer them to the ZS3, even though the ZS3 have better features and have a more engaging sound, particularly with some types of tracks (I'm using them right now). My ZST are on order, have been for at least a couple of weeks and should be arriving sometime next week. If you don't mind waiting a few days longer I will post my impressions on this thread. I'm not saying my opinion is better than anyone else's, but at least I'm coming to the ZST from the same place you are: from adoring the KZ ATE and wanting to try other products from the KZ line.

The ZST seems to be quite tip sensitive and performs better with the silver cables. I had shipping issues plus wanted to spend money on a DAP instead so when my ZST seller ran out of stock I requested a refund rather than wait. I'm eagerly awaiting your comparisons since you will have the 3 most commended in the KZ range (ATR is close enough to the ATE for most purposes). Have fun :)

Nov 27, 2016 at 7:48 AM Post #13,755 of 64,158

The ZST seems to be quite tip sensitive and performs better with the silver cables. I had shipping issues plus wanted to spend money on a DAP instead so when my ZST seller ran out of stock I requested a refund rather than wait. I'm eagerly awaiting your comparisons since you will have the 3 most commended in the KZ range (ATR is close enough to the ATE for most purposes). Have fun :)

I will also be receiving the ATR at some point, it might be next week with some luck but I doubt it. I have the silver cables on order but they probably won't arrive until either the end of December or start of January. At some point I'll be able to make comparisons between the KZ ATE, ATR, ZST, ZS3, ED9 and ZS1 (which I've read are very unique and fun) and I'll also test the ZS3 and ZST with silver cable upgrades as I also ordered both of them.

If you guys wish I can also compare them with some other highly regarded IEMs from other brands like the **** UE, Tennmak Pro and Somic V4 but that will probably only happen in January.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back