Knowledge Zenith (KZ) impressions thread
Oct 26, 2016 at 2:23 PM Post #13,036 of 63,917
@B9Scrambler , @Ruben123 & @Podster - call me crazy, but after my ATR has had ~50h playtime with "burn-in" tubes and after modding them + using with KZ "starline" tips - they are superior even over **** 4in1, LZ A2S, Magaosi BK50, HLSX 808 (modded).

Been listening to Riverside - Eye of the Soundscape, Porcupine Tree, Devin Townsend - Casualties of Cool for last few hours out of my modified Aune T1 desk setup and modified DX50 (high gain).
Incredibly dynamical but clear, transparent, detailed sound with very good soundstage and accurate imaging. Great decays/reverbs and mids are just spot on "life-like" natural in vocals and mid-based instruments. KZ has done amazing job tuning this single dynamic driver. Just wish they could put more effort in housing design, materials and cable quality.

This is BEST KZ IEM out yet imho and it`s highly recommended by me. Not saying those words often... they are simply just that good.

Oct 26, 2016 at 2:30 PM Post #13,037 of 63,917

So are you going to post some pics of your modded pair??? You know I like my ATR's but like all my ATE's they just are not as comfortable as most of my other iem's
frown.gif

Oct 26, 2016 at 2:48 PM Post #13,038 of 63,917
Nothing much to see and photoshoot atm - they are without back covers and port holes closed with "starline" tips. 
There are still some "weaknesses" compared to FF-mod but at same time they have their good sides.
They will be modded further and will post pics after I`m done but it will take some time because this time I`m going to take ear-impressions and make whole shelling out of wood (I think no-one has done it to IEM yet) and it take some trial-and-error to get them "perfect".
They probably will be my "last" and best handcrafted modification. 

Remember - this is purely my subjective opinion with my gear and preferences. Others opinion may differ. 
But they just sound so good that it`s almost impossible to find faults (there isn`t such IEM though and will never be). There just are few small things they could improve upon but that possible "improvement" will be heard after I`ve tried all my skills and tricks have been tested and "consumed".

Oct 26, 2016 at 2:59 PM Post #13,040 of 63,917
Oct 26, 2016 at 3:02 PM Post #13,041 of 63,917
  Nothing much to see and photoshoot atm - they are without back covers and port holes closed with "starline" tips. 
There are still some "weaknesses" compared to FF-mod but at same time they have their good sides.
They will be modded further and will post pics after I`m done but it will take some time because this time I`m going to take ear-impressions and make whole shelling out of wood (I think no-one has done it to IEM yet) and it take some trial-and-error to get them "perfect".
They probably will be my "last" and best handcrafted modification. 

Remember - this is purely my subjective opinion with my gear and preferences. Others opinion may differ. 
But they just sound so good that it`s almost impossible to find faults (there isn`t such IEM though and will never be). There just are few small things they could improve upon but that possible "improvement" will be heard after I`ve tried all my skills and tricks have been tested and "consumed".

So that's it. Breaking the back off and tape/glue the ports closed with a wide bored tip and voila.

Oct 26, 2016 at 3:07 PM Post #13,042 of 63,917
Like I said - some things can be improved with further modding but this is the easiest modifications that do make them better and very good to my personal preferences out of my gear. Try it and if You don`t like it, then reverse it and share Your impressions to everybody.

NB! Not just wide bore tips - use KZ "starline" tips. Otherwise - voila! - yes, that easy
wink.gif

Go listen to the music I mentioned earlier and hear improvements... or not.

Edit: Btw, forgot to mention one thing earlier about port holes shut thingy - they can be turned quieter about 2-3 clicks from the normal listening level You usually are using. They should have tighter bass/percussion and benefit from lower vol level (they are little louder after port closing due to pressure increase inside ear-canal).

Oct 26, 2016 at 3:26 PM Post #13,043 of 63,917
I ordered new ATRs since I gave away mine lol. Might give a try to the new KZ tips, never bought tips as I already have dozens. 

Edit
I assume coil changing tips makes the least difference? Try before buy lol

Oct 27, 2016 at 1:21 AM Post #13,046 of 63,917
  Where is the ATR the cheapest now?

I agree with Coil on the starline tips. They almost match up with how my JVC Spiral Dots sound. Everyone should have a pair at the whole $1 or so they cost.

ATR @ gearbest for 4.39 € : http://www.gearbest.com/earbud-headphones/pp_431999.html?wid=21
I got all my 8x ATR from GB and they are flawless. KZ "Starline" tips link I posted before.

Edit
I assume coil changing tips makes the least difference? Try before buy lol

What do You mean by that? 
Yes, changing tips can actually make huge difference how IEM sounds depending on IEM. Some doesn`t show almost any change, some are like "night and day".

Oct 27, 2016 at 1:25 AM Post #13,047 of 63,917
  ATR @ gearbest for 4.39 € : http://www.gearbest.com/earbud-headphones/pp_431999.html?wid=21
I got all my 8x ATR from GB and they are flawless. KZ "Starline" tips link I posted before.

What do You mean by that? 
Yes, changing tips can actually make huge difference how IEM sounds depending on IEM. Some doesn`t show almost any change, some are like "night and day".

That is what I meant, sorry, was not being clear. I have not heard any much difference between tips on my earphones, well I did, but I could eventually believe it's a placebo effect for me. After all I ordered the KZ tips so we will see :)

Oct 27, 2016 at 3:28 AM Post #13,048 of 63,917
Well, lets not forget about other pieces in chain also - You need also revealing source gear and great mastering high quality file format. If one has "muddy" sounding source gear, differences between tips are less noticeable. For example I can`t hear changes with tips so well with typical heavily compressed pop-dance-music in mp3 etc. compressed files, it is noticeable, but not so much as with 16/44 FLAC for example. I don`t want to start debate here on mp3 vs. flac etc. ,just that there are more into play than just tips and IEM. Great mastering of music is basis of all and next comes source gear.

For what it`s worth, I have done A/B switch comparing with 2 same IEM from same source gear playing loop but using different tips - differences are noticeable quite easily and definitely not placebo with certain IEM`s. 

Oct 27, 2016 at 3:44 AM Post #13,049 of 63,917
I've always found myself with very significant changes by rolling tips; not significant enough to make a bad earphone good, but good enough to make a good earphone great. I do not have a good enough source gear, just my cheap smartphone(which to me sounds great) and yet I still find changes.
I think it's more about the kind of music we test our earphones with. I do not test with classical music, rock, or edm as I find them quite forgiving. I usually test with my select Jpop/Anime songs that I know very well: the ones that have a lot of spatial effects,vocals and bass/treble notes. And then I always look for tips that provide me the best instrument separation and least fuzziness, and take away sibilance if present. Wide bore tips seem to do this well enough for me.

Oct 27, 2016 at 12:31 PM Post #13,050 of 63,917
  Received my ZS3 (bought from Gearbest for 8 US$) an hour back. OOTB (with KZ's Star shape medium sized tips), these are very impressive for my ears. This is how I wanted (and expected) my ZST to sound. 

A quick A-Bing of ZS3 with ATR shows the latter ones are leaner across frequencies.There is more body to the overall sound signature in ZS3 with (mid)bass being the prominent one without bleeding into other frequencies. Vocals appear clear and natural. Treble is smooth but still detailed. Overall, a warm sounding phones with good Clarity.

This is just an hour's impression I have had with ZS3 and could change with more listening time.

(Sourcegear used: Fujitsu laptop, AIMP music player with WASAPI output, system volume at 25. Music listened to;  Mixed playlist consists of Armin van Buuren, Arno Cost, Alesso, Aerosmith, Ilaiyaraja, FM-84, Santhosh Narayanan in MP3 320 kbps or M4a 256 kbps)

Did GB show the tracking details? Mine shipped on 14th Sep hasn't been delivered or even show the tracking.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back