Knowledge Zenith (KZ) impressions thread
Sep 6, 2015 at 11:37 PM Post #6,241 of 63,917
  Aqua core is Large I believe. I have all 4 sizes of hybrids, Pink, Orange, Green and Aqua in ascending order of size. I think Green is medium.

cool.gif
You are Right they are Green, I just ran across my aquas in a bag.

beerchug.gif
beerchug.gif
TWIN

Sep 7, 2015 at 12:12 AM Post #6,242 of 63,917
Alright guys, I've recently heard about these earphones and have been reading this thread for a couple of hours now. There is a lot of information here and it is pretty overwhelming so I just want to make sure that I have got things straight. I have no high end audio experience and the only things that I've owned that have been remotely high end are the grados sr60i's. I'm looking for a cheap pair of iems that I can use everyday while commuting and for the gym. I listen to all genres of music but mainly rock, punk, and metal. Now, from my understanding for these kinds of genres you want more treble. So from reading around this thread it looks like out of all the kz headphones either the ED10 or the ED9 will suit my needs the best. I just want to verify if for the most part I've understood things correctly? Also does anyone know where to get the ED10's? I can't seem to find them anywhere. Somebody posted this link a couple of pages back asking if the earphones were legit but nobody answered:

http://www.aliexpress.com/item/2015-Brand-New-Original-KZ-ED10-3-5mm-In-Ear-Headset-Heavy-Bass-HIFI-DJ-Earphones/32373336369.html?spm=2114.01020208.3.1.9GOwgT&ws_ab_test=201407_4,201444_5,201409_3

Final question for you guys

I've never bought anything from aliexpress before. Do you need a forwarding service or can you just buy directly from the site? It seems like you can order directly from the site because the page advertises free shipping to Canada (the country that I live) but I just want to make sure.

Thanks so much for answering my questions and collecting all this information

Sep 7, 2015 at 12:21 AM Post #6,243 of 63,917
i have two pairs of non mic KZ ATE, one silver and one is black transparent. the sound of two ATEs are different although the two had burned for same 100++ hours, the black transparent ATE is still noticeable bassier than silver one. is there anyone who have same experience with the difference?

Sep 7, 2015 at 12:30 AM Post #6,244 of 63,917
  Alright guys, I've recently heard about these earphones and have been reading this thread for a couple of hours now. There is a lot of information here and it is pretty overwhelming so I just want to make sure that I have got things straight. I have no high end audio experience and the only things that I've owned that have been remotely high end are the grados sr60i's. I'm looking for a cheap pair of iems that I can use everyday while commuting and for the gym. I listen to all genres of music but mainly rock, punk, and metal. Now, from my understanding for these kinds of genres you want more treble. So from reading around this thread it looks like out of all the kz headphones either the ED10 or the ED9 will suit my needs the best. I just want to verify if for the most part I've understood things correctly? Also does anyone know where to get the ED10's? I can't seem to find them anywhere. Somebody posted this link a couple of pages back asking if the earphones were legit but nobody answered:

http://www.aliexpress.com/item/2015-Brand-New-Original-KZ-ED10-3-5mm-In-Ear-Headset-Heavy-Bass-HIFI-DJ-Earphones/32373336369.html?spm=2114.01020208.3.1.9GOwgT&ws_ab_test=201407_4,201444_5,201409_3

I've never bought anything from aliexpress before. Do you need a forwarding service or can you just buy directly from the site? It seems like you can order directly from the site because the page advertises free shipping to Canada (the country that I live) but I just want to make sure.

Regarding them being legit, I don't think there is a big margin in running off $8 knock-offs/fakes !!
I'd be surprised if there was a fake KZ out there. Only thing that might make people think that is wide variance in QC of the sound quality.
You can just buy direct from the aliexpress site with a visa card and they don't need to store your card information. I was surprised that it was so easy vs having to sign-up to some paypal clone site in China to be the middle-man.You have feedback and refund options at your disposal with the purchase so it is as good as ebay for buyer safety.
ED10s should sit in your ear easier without over-ear hooks being needed like I use on ED9s to keep their barrel design in position.

I'll leave it to others to chime in on ED9 vs ED10 for your music taste.

Sep 7, 2015 at 12:36 AM Post #6,245 of 63,917
  Also does anyone know where to get the ED10's? I can't seem to find them anywhere. Somebody posted this link a couple of pages back asking if the earphones were legit but nobody answered:

Pretty much what Lohb said.
I've ordered a lot of things from Aliexpress, and none of them failed to arrive. Just don't expect to track the item easily, and it will arrive anywhere from 2-5 weeks (in my experience).
The normal shop price of the ED10 is around $8-10USD. The 70% OFF $30 RRP is just an marketing tactic; no one actually pays $30 for an ED10. I got mine for $7.99, but the link doesn't work anymore.

Sep 7, 2015 at 1:29 AM Post #6,246 of 63,917

Regarding them being legit, I don't think there is a big margin in running off $8 knock-offs/fakes !!
I'd be surprised if there was a fake KZ out there. Only thing that might make people think that is wide variance in QC of the sound quality.
You can just buy direct from the aliexpress site with a visa card and they don't need to store your card information. I was surprised that it was so easy vs having to sign-up to some paypal clone site in China to be the middle-man.You have feedback and refund options at your disposal with the purchase so it is as good as ebay for buyer safety.
ED10s should sit in your ear easier without over-ear hooks being needed like I use on ED9s to keep their barrel design in position.

I'll leave it to others to chime in on ED9 vs ED10 for your music taste.

Pretty much what Lohb said.
I've ordered a lot of things from Aliexpress, and none of them failed to arrive. Just don't expect to track the item easily, and it will arrive anywhere from 2-5 weeks (in my experience).
The normal shop price of the ED10 is around $8-10USD. The 70% OFF $30 RRP is just an marketing tactic; no one actually pays $30 for an ED10. I got mine for $7.99, but the link doesn't work anymore.

Thanks for the answers. I'm asking because there have been fakes of the piston earphones and those are very cheap as well.I've been looking around aliexpress and apparently there are some KZ earphones like the ED2 that I've never even heard about. So I kinda want to change my question to what do you guys think are the best KZ headphones for my needs?

Sep 7, 2015 at 2:47 AM Post #6,247 of 63,917
  i have two pairs of non mic KZ ATE, one silver and one is black transparent. the sound of two ATEs are different although the two had burned for same 100++ hours, the black transparent ATE is still noticeable bassier than silver one. is there anyone who have same experience with the difference?

I do agree on the silver vs. black being different part. It`s probably from the different enclosure plastic. I found silver ones to have little more "hollow" sound and less pronounced bass.
But imo the difference is quite little. But yeah, QC and production differences etc. may also affect them being different.

Sep 7, 2015 at 2:56 AM Post #6,248 of 63,917

I do agree on the silver vs. black being different part. It`s probably from the different enclosure plastic. I found silver ones to have little more "hollow" sound and less pronounced bass.
But imo the difference is quite little. But yeah, QC and production differences etc. may also affect them being different.

yeah, i do think so. i'm still prefer silver ATE than the black one, to me the sound is more refined. time to mod black ATE, maybe with something like ocharaku did on CKM55 a.k.a Tornado Equalizer.
tongue_smile.gif

Sep 7, 2015 at 3:08 AM Post #6,249 of 63,917
What is Your source gear and its sound signature? In stock configuration I find black ATE better balanced and clearer, without that little "hollowness".
If You going to mod ATE, then try to do something like I did: http://www.head-fi.org/t/698148/knowledge-zenith-kz-impressions-thread/5850#post_11849368
Open-back grill mod + large inner diameter nozzles (ED9 brass, with closed breathing holes) makes them noticeably more detailed, clearer and littlebit better soundstage/separation/imaging/layering.

Sep 7, 2015 at 3:42 AM Post #6,250 of 63,917
  What is Your source gear and its sound signature? In stock configuration I find black ATE better balanced and clearer, without that little "hollowness".
If You going to mod ATE, then try to do something like I did: http://www.head-fi.org/t/698148/knowledge-zenith-kz-impressions-thread/5850#post_11849368
Open-back grill mod + large inner diameter nozzles (ED9 brass, with closed breathing holes) makes them noticeably more detailed, clearer and littlebit better soundstage/separation/imaging/layering.

currently, i'm using iPod Touch 2nd Gen as source connecting to Sony PHA-1 as DAC-AMP. slightly bright, crisp treble and forward mids.
it's weird that my silver ATE didn't suffer from "hollowness". i don't know what's wrong with my ears, but after i have KZ ATE, i start to disliking my Shure SE215, IM50, and VSD3S because of this silver ATE is better (for me) and i'm enjoying that much, and order black ATE, but after listen to black ATE, i'm displeased with it's sound
confused_face.gif

oh yeah, i'm using Sony Hybrid tips on top of them.

Sep 7, 2015 at 3:53 AM Post #6,251 of 63,917
With ATE try large bore silicone tips :wink: Imo sony hybrids doesn` t sound good with ATE, too tiny bore raises littlebit bass quantity. 

Sep 7, 2015 at 4:14 AM Post #6,252 of 63,917
  With ATE try large bore silicone tips :wink: Imo sony hybrids doesn` t sound good with ATE, too tiny bore raises littlebit bass quantity. 

do you have picture or tutorial for step by step opening ATE housing, it's glued stronger than my VSD3S
biggrin.gif

Sep 7, 2015 at 4:43 AM Post #6,253 of 63,917
It`s not glued at all :wink:

If anyone wanna open back covers of your ATE, here is how I did it. 

Gently twist it... slowly 

Here it is.... very easy

R.I.P. my sweet mod victim ATE! 
biggrin.gif

Do not try to remove Your ATE drivers! Even if You get somehow clear from the glue, it is very easy to damage membrane connection wires. I tried second driver more carefully but still killed it.

Will order new ATE`s for modding
tongue.gif

Sep 7, 2015 at 9:14 AM Post #6,255 of 63,917

Thanks for the answers. I'm asking because there have been fakes of the piston earphones and those are very cheap as well.I've been looking around aliexpress and apparently there are some KZ earphones like the ED2 that I've never even heard about. So I kinda want to change my question to what do you guys think are the best KZ headphones for my needs?

It's still not known whether or not the ED2 is the EDSE. They look the same, but they used to have different prices from the same "official seller". I ordered both the ED2 and EDSE (from the "official kz store" last year and while they sounded completely different, it might have been manufacturing inconsistencies. I say that because some people have ordered the ED2 and said they were good. Both came in unlabelled KZ cardboard boxes, so I actually don't know which one was which. I kept the one that sounded like the ES with a more natural treble, and threw the other one in the bin immediately (sounded like the GR with hole-less nozzles).

The recent 3 models (ATE, ED10, ED9) have generally been praised over the older models in this thread. The Micro might be an exception, but I can't comment on those because I don't have them. Since you're going to use them outside and in the gym, I would personally recommend the ED10. To my ears, they have the most bass which compensates for outside noise and bone conduction (from jogging). I think the ED10 isolates more than the ED9 and ATE, though isolation still isn't that great. They're also very comfortable, sticking out the least in contrast to the other two. They also feel very durable and solid, though I might be a little biased because my ED9 shorts out on the left ear occasionally due to faulty wiring.

So that's just one opinion about which KZ suits you. Others might not agree with me, so it's best to wait for more opinions and recommendations and you'll have a better idea on which model really suits you. Or, you can buy all three for the price of 1 legit EarPod 
tongue_smile.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back