Knowledge Zenith (KZ) impressions thread
Sep 7, 2015 at 9:25 AM Post #6,256 of 63,919
Guys, I wonder how long my ED10 will last?
What would be expected lifespan of these IEM's ?

I gave my ED8s to my daughter months ago. They have been through the washing machine once, the strain reliefs have come apart from the housings, she twirls them around her fingers all the time. With all this abuse, they still work.

Sep 7, 2015 at 10:59 AM Post #6,257 of 63,919
  It's still not known whether or not the ED2 is the EDSE. They look the same, but they used to have different prices from the same "official seller". I ordered both the ED2 and EDSE (from the "official kz store" last year and while they sounded completely different, it might have been manufacturing inconsistencies. I say that because some people have ordered the ED2 and said they were good. Both came in unlabelled KZ cardboard boxes, so I actually don't know which one was which. I kept the one that sounded like the ES with a more natural treble, and threw the other one in the bin immediately (sounded like the GR with hole-less nozzles).

The recent 3 models (ATE, ED10, ED9) have generally been praised over the older models in this thread. The Micro might be an exception, but I can't comment on those because I don't have them. Since you're going to use them outside and in the gym, I would personally recommend the ED10. To my ears, they have the most bass which compensates for outside noise and bone conduction (from jogging). I think the ED10 isolates more than the ED9 and ATE, though isolation still isn't that great. They're also very comfortable, sticking out the least in contrast to the other two. They also feel very durable and solid, though I might be a little biased because my ED9 shorts out on the left ear occasionally due to faulty wiring.

So that's just one opinion about which KZ suits you. Others might not agree with me, so it's best to wait for more opinions and recommendations and you'll have a better idea on which model really suits you. Or, you can buy all three for the price of 1 legit EarPod 
tongue_smile.gif

Do you like any of the KZ IEMs more than the KC06 and Tenore?

Sep 7, 2015 at 12:50 PM Post #6,258 of 63,919
  What is Your source gear and its sound signature? In stock configuration I find black ATE better balanced and clearer, without that little "hollowness".
If You going to mod ATE, then try to do something like I did: http://www.head-fi.org/t/698148/knowledge-zenith-kz-impressions-thread/5850#post_11849368
Open-back grill mod + large inner diameter nozzles (ED9 brass, with closed breathing holes) makes them noticeably more detailed, clearer and littlebit better soundstage/separation/imaging/layering.

Just got 2 more pcs of translucent black ATEs (without mic) and I`m comparing them head-to-head to modded ATE with A/B switch using my portable rig and same silicone tips (atm testing with Porcupine Tree FLAC library).
Honestly I didn`t expect so much difference
blink.gif
 It`s almost like different league IEM. Actually, I think my modded ATE has more things in common with ED10 than stock black ATEs (except littlebit better mids on modded/stock ATE - more natural vocals and dynamics). To those who have skills and opportunity to do similar mod - do it! You have no idea what ATEs are capable of
tongue.gif

Sep 7, 2015 at 1:58 PM Post #6,259 of 63,919
Anyone compare both the TTPOD and ED10, given that they both have similar frequency responses?

Sep 7, 2015 at 2:22 PM Post #6,260 of 63,919
  It's still not known whether or not the ED2 is the EDSE. They look the same, but they used to have different prices from the same "official seller". I ordered both the ED2 and EDSE (from the "official kz store" last year and while they sounded completely different, it might have been manufacturing inconsistencies. I say that because some people have ordered the ED2 and said they were good. Both came in unlabelled KZ cardboard boxes, so I actually don't know which one was which. I kept the one that sounded like the ES with a more natural treble, and threw the other one in the bin immediately (sounded like the GR with hole-less nozzles).

The recent 3 models (ATE, ED10, ED9) have generally been praised over the older models in this thread. The Micro might be an exception, but I can't comment on those because I don't have them. Since you're going to use them outside and in the gym, I would personally recommend the ED10. To my ears, they have the most bass which compensates for outside noise and bone conduction (from jogging). I think the ED10 isolates more than the ED9 and ATE, though isolation still isn't that great. They're also very comfortable, sticking out the least in contrast to the other two. They also feel very durable and solid, though I might be a little biased because my ED9 shorts out on the left ear occasionally due to faulty wiring.

So that's just one opinion about which KZ suits you. Others might not agree with me, so it's best to wait for more opinions and recommendations and you'll have a better idea on which model really suits you. Or, you can buy all three for the price of 1 legit EarPod 
tongue_smile.gif

Once again, thanks for the answer? How is the treble on the ED10 I've read that it is pretty good but the more opinions I get the better :p Also, you mentioned the bass I've never tried a bassy headphone/earphone before and I don't think I'm going to like that kind of sound signature. Which KZ models do you think I should stay away from if you take that into account. From my understanding, it seems like all the old models are pretty base emphasized. Just want to confirm if I came to the right conclusion or not?

I'd love to know which one is preferred as well. The KC06 sounds like my dream earphone but everyone says that it has poor isolation :frowning2:

Sep 7, 2015 at 2:27 PM Post #6,261 of 63,919
  To those who have skills and opportunity to do similar mod - do it! You have no idea what ATEs are capable of
tongue.gif

Will do and post results here, if i manage to make some custom backplates(probably 3D printing from a local service provider) else I will just make them open back by opening some holes behind and try to paint them(like your first mod).

Sep 7, 2015 at 2:48 PM Post #6,262 of 63,919
Yeah, try it!
wink.gif
 Backplates and grill-mod is quite easy. It gets difficult when it comes to sanding down the body, cutting nozzle shorter + drilling holes for ED9 nozzles. Nozzle mod is quite important in resulting sound of my FF mod ("Forest Fairy"). Btw, I have grinded brass nozzles shorter by one "line" on top of tip, so it is little shorter and also phased the edge on barrel circle.
Will take additional pics tomorrow so everyone would understand what I did.

Sep 7, 2015 at 9:29 PM Post #6,263 of 63,919

Yes there is one, but it is OOAK thanks to inconsistent QC. The very first DT3 I purchased was faulty. It has horrible driver flex BUT has a unique sound signature which I can only describe as a junior version of the SE846. I liked it so much that I ordered 10 more DT3s, only to find out my original one was unique. The other 10 DT3s sound identical, but have the usual KZ sound signature.

Other than that, unfortunately no 
frown.gif
 All KZ IEMs I've heard have two noticeable peaks that makes the signature sound not-so-natural. The first is in the 3-4khz region, and the second in the 7-8khz region. The first peak causes the high mids to sound slightly plasticky, and this is more apparent when A/B'ing with other earphones.

For the money, KZ IEMs are still unbeatable. They destroy the old Meelec models that cost around 3 times more, and I would take the ED10 over the Klipsch S4 anyday (even if the S4 was reduced to $10).

KZ IEMs are basically $10 "giant killers", where the giants are around the $50 range. However, the KC06 and Tenore are also "giant killers", arguably on par with the GR07 which used to be a "giant killer" itself. That term isn't as relevant anymore, because VFM has increased/improved significant in the past year. Five years ago, the Klipsch S4 was actually a good IEM for the money lol, whereas now we have KZ, T1E, MH1, Pistons etc. I have to say that the best VFM earphone I have is the Tenore which I purchased for 1900 yen. I hope it doesn't break though (them horror stories)!

Sep 8, 2015 at 1:26 AM Post #6,264 of 63,919
Hi guyz
I was using sony mdr-xb90ex and they are broken now so i want very similar or better then iems then that any available in kz ?
Sony mdr-xb90ex comes in extra bass but not only about bass it has a great sound stage and feels like a theater itself in ears so any possibility under kz?

Sep 8, 2015 at 1:51 AM Post #6,265 of 63,919
  Yeah, try it!
wink.gif
 Backplates and grill-mod is quite easy. It gets difficult when it comes to sanding down the body, cutting nozzle shorter + drilling holes for ED9 nozzles. Nozzle mod is quite important in resulting sound of my FF mod ("Forest Fairy"). Btw, I have grinded brass nozzles shorter by one "line" on top of tip, so it is little shorter and also phased the edge on barrel circle.
Will take additional pics tomorrow so everyone would understand what I did.

what kind of wooden backplate did you use for mod? kind of exotic wood :)

Sep 8, 2015 at 7:19 AM Post #6,266 of 63,919
Just typical european Oak. Hand selected wood-pattern + green stain + natural oil
wink.gif

Sep 8, 2015 at 10:47 AM Post #6,267 of 63,919
  Yes there is one, but it is OOAK thanks to inconsistent QC. The very first DT3 I purchased was faulty. It has horrible driver flex BUT has a unique sound signature which I can only describe as a junior version of the SE846. I liked it so much that I ordered 10 more DT3s, only to find out my original one was unique. The other 10 DT3s sound identical, but have the usual KZ sound signature.

Other than that, unfortunately no 
frown.gif
 All KZ IEMs I've heard have two noticeable peaks that makes the signature sound not-so-natural. The first is in the 3-4khz region, and the second in the 7-8khz region. The first peak causes the high mids to sound slightly plasticky, and this is more apparent when A/B'ing with other earphones.

For the money, KZ IEMs are still unbeatable. They destroy the old Meelec models that cost around 3 times more, and I would take the ED10 over the Klipsch S4 anyday (even if the S4 was reduced to $10).

KZ IEMs are basically $10 "giant killers", where the giants are around the $50 range. However, the KC06 and Tenore are also "giant killers", arguably on par with the GR07 which used to be a "giant killer" itself. That term isn't as relevant anymore, because VFM has increased/improved significant in the past year. Five years ago, the Klipsch S4 was actually a good IEM for the money lol, whereas now we have KZ, T1E, MH1, Pistons etc. I have to say that the best VFM earphone I have is the Tenore which I purchased for 1900 yen. I hope it doesn't break though (them horror stories)!

This is bad news for me having purchased both the ATE and ED10.  My fault though for an impulsive purchase.  Gotta stay away from these forums!

Sep 8, 2015 at 11:38 AM Post #6,268 of 63,919
This is bad news for me having purchased both the ATE and ED10.  My fault though for an impulsive purchase.  Gotta stay away from these forums!
it's not that bad. Remember, they cost less than ten dollars each, so you really can't expect them to beat something like your VSD1, which was designed to be 80% as good as a GR07. Worst case you can give them to your non-audiophile friends/relatives :)
I've been using the ED10 exclusively for the past week and I have to say I'm still enjoying them very much, especially its sub-bass. The mids are recessed, but not recessed enough to really bug me (and I do care about mids, check my IEM inventory in my sig :p)
Most if not everyone here will tell you that the ATE is a great purchase (some say it sounds like the IM-50), especially when you factor in the price you paid.
If anything, I probably made the mistake of buying 3 pairs of the "KZ S6", which isn't even by KZ... and going by recent impressions, ordering the ZN1 might've been a mistake too, though it looked great on paper...

Sep 8, 2015 at 1:54 PM Post #6,269 of 63,919
My ED10s shipped August 16th. They just arrived today. After that long of a wait I'm practically praying there are no QC issues, which is a lot coming from an agnostic. I'll post my thoughts at a later point in time, especially as to how they compare to my ED9s.

Sep 8, 2015 at 2:10 PM Post #6,270 of 63,919
  My ED10s shipped August 16th. They just arrived today. After that long of a wait I'm practically praying there are no QC issues, which is a lot coming from an agnostic. I'll post my thoughts at a later point in time, especially as to how they compare to my ED9s.

I have two pairs that function perfectly and as a believer will be praying that yours will also! 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back