Knowledge Zenith (KZ) impressions thread
Apr 15, 2021 at 5:55 PM Post #54,916 of 63,924
I forget what TOTL stands for but that's like an end-game IEM right? I would like to try one with that reputation just so I can possibly ruin my budget collection by hearing something a step above that makes me hate what I own. :)

Would the Blessing2 be pretty foolproof if I wanted to try an end-game IEM one of these days?
Even with those class, I still love to try out new KZ/CCA IEMs, it’s more of like food, not that you eat $200 highest grade beef stake for every dinner, even after the stakes, bigmac still taste very good👍
but yes, you would definitely want to try the blessing2, it’s no brainer IEM for sub $1000. And yes TOTL stands for Top of the line, the flagships.

Apr 15, 2021 at 6:01 PM Post #54,917 of 63,924
Of the two the DQ6 has the better coherency, better cable and fits better in the ear. But it lags behind on technicality's and imaging. And the stock tips are rather bad.
The ZSX falls in this weird middle ground where it's slightly better than the ZN10 Pro due to the new DD but falls behind the ZAX which is a far more refined version of it. And with it's shell being larger than those two it might not fit as well. It also has a slight tendency to get shouty on some tracks.

You won't go wrong with either of them but if I had to chose between the two I'd get the DQ6. Even though I don't consider it a beginner IEM (Beginner IEM = everything you need is in the box) as you most likely will need to look for different tips, it is definitely the better of the two.

Personally I'd skip the ZSX and go for the ZAX, it's doesn't cost that much more and significantly better in sound quality, fitment, it has the same cable as the DQ6 and no issues with tips. It's the total package for about €6,- more. Between the ZAX and the DQ6 I'd get the ZAX but it is twice the price.

Other ones you might want to look at are the KBEAR KS1 and Lark. Two highly capable IEM's around the same price as the DQ6.
Agree and Lark recently got retuned “Lark 4K” version, out that may worth some attention too👍

Apr 15, 2021 at 10:23 PM Post #54,918 of 63,924
I still don't understand why people don't like the ASX, but maybe that's because I have no idea what linear phase tuning and a cohesive sound is.
They are one of my favorites, but I do admit all I have is budget stuff.....they were bought on a nice sale so they go into my budget category.

Indeed as Ivisi says trust your ears and as subjective as this hobby is its really only about what sounds great to you and what makes you happy :wink:

Apr 15, 2021 at 11:37 PM Post #54,919 of 63,924
Listening to my DQ6 at the moment (on the ES100 dac/amp), while my new ZAX and new XINHS balanced cable are burning in with music on my computer, using my Fiio Q1MK2. I can honestly say that the DQ6 is excellent for the price, based on my music library. It's one of those iems that punches way over its price range. Ymmv. It depends on your preferred sound signature. Personally, I like V-shaped and the DQ6 does it exceptionally well.

Apr 16, 2021 at 2:01 AM Post #54,920 of 63,924
Of the two the DQ6 has the better coherency, better cable and fits better in the ear. But it lags behind on technicality's and imaging. And the stock tips are rather bad.
The ZSX falls in this weird middle ground where it's slightly better than the ZN10 Pro due to the new DD but falls behind the ZAX which is a far more refined version of it. And with it's shell being larger than those two it might not fit as well. It also has a slight tendency to get shouty on some tracks.

You won't go wrong with either of them but if I had to chose between the two I'd get the DQ6. Even though I don't consider it a beginner IEM (Beginner IEM = everything you need is in the box) as you most likely will need to look for different tips, it is definitely the better of the two.

Personally I'd skip the ZSX and go for the ZAX, it's doesn't cost that much more and significantly better in sound quality, fitment, it has the same cable as the DQ6 and no issues with tips. It's the total package for about €6,- more. Between the ZAX and the DQ6 I'd get the ZAX but it is twice the price.

Other ones you might want to look at are the KBEAR KS1 and Lark. Two highly capable IEM's around the same price as the DQ6.
This is awesome! Thanks for the write-up. I learn something new everyday. Like you said: it seems like the zsx is in this weird no man's land. I guess this also eliminates the zs10pro? That can be has relatively cheap

So it seams it will either be the dq6 Vs kbear KS1 or Lark 4k. In terms of looks I think it will be lark Vs dq6.

The seller I want to buy for sells foam tips, and I will buy a case if I'll buy the dq6. That makes the comparison more fair.

Sounds like a good way to start. I looked at the zax, but can't justify spending that much on my first IEM. Maybe later if I'm in this hobby some more. Don't want to spend more than ≈ €30/35

Last edited:
Apr 16, 2021 at 3:42 AM Post #54,921 of 63,924
Just a quick measurement of CSN (Blue) vs DQ6 (whatever colour that is)
Seems like the XUN driver is responsible for frequencies from 20 (or below) to around 4k
Very similar tuning by graph I say.

Edit: I like the CSN; the DQ6 isn't for me.

Edit 2: I find the CSN to be "faster" and less peaky and the mid range has a more energetic feel which I highly prefer. The bass has better quality and quantity also. Timbre is similar on both but the CSN has an edge here especially on strings and the bowing is so much clearer which is almost absent on the DQ6. I don't know the exact word to describe but the DQ6 has too much "reverb" for me making the sound unclear. However the DQ6 has better stage and more 3D sounding.

Edit 3: Still.....if the CSN can have a larger stage that would be better.
CSN vs DQ6.PNG

Last edited:
Apr 16, 2021 at 6:43 AM Post #54,922 of 63,924
This is awesome! Thanks for the write-up. I learn something new everyday. Like you said: it seems like the zsx is in this weird no man's land. I guess this also eliminates the zs10pro? That can be has relatively cheap

So it seams it will either be the dq6 Vs kbear KS1 or Lark 4k. In terms of looks I think it will be lark Vs dq6.

The seller I want to buy for sells foam tips, and I will buy a case if I'll buy the dq6. That makes the comparison more fair.

Sounds like a good way to start. I looked at the zax, but can't justify spending that much on my first IEM. Maybe later if I'm in this hobby some more. Don't want to spend more than ≈ €30/35
The DQ6 is a very good take on the KZ V shape. Works for most genres especially metal which is usually a stumbling block for IEM's. I got mine from SA audio which got me a free pack of 4 foam tips for about €17,- with coupons, about €22,- without.
The KS1 a V shaped set with emphasis on the bass. Most cohesive sounding of the bunch as it only has a single DD. It's like a younger sibling of the DQ6 if you'd ask me. Should cost around €15~20,- and is IMO the best single DD under €50,-. Don't discout it because of it's plainer looks. In High gloss piano black it's beautiful and in pure white it's downright gorgeous. But I can get the beauty of having a clear body and seeing the internals, it's my preference too.

The Lark is a very nice balanced set. My pair is a first batch so it's a OG Lark 4K and it's something to behold. It's too good for it's price point but so are the others in this comparison. Having that balanced sound means it sounds a lot more natural on most tracks compared to the others. It has less bass compared to them but it shows how much bass there actually is on the track instead of boosting it. And it's a well textured bass with a good extension. It does come with 7 pairs of tips (2 types in S, M and L and a duplicate pair of the grey M) and a case for about €26,-. But that case is €2,30 to get separately so can easily be added to any of them.

My ranking would be Lark 4K>DQ6=KS1 but I should warn you. If you're used to mainstream headphones/earbuds the Lark will be a culture shock as seems to lack a lot of bass compared to them. The KS1 is most like the mainstream gear and the DQ6 is somewhere in the middle of the two.

Apr 16, 2021 at 9:03 AM Post #54,923 of 63,924
The DQ6 is a very good take on the KZ V shape. Works for most genres especially metal which is usually a stumbling block for IEM's. I got mine from SA audio which got me a free pack of 4 foam tips for about €17,- with coupons, about €22,- without.
The KS1 a V shaped set with emphasis on the bass. Most cohesive sounding of the bunch as it only has a single DD. It's like a younger sibling of the DQ6 if you'd ask me. Should cost around €15~20,- and is IMO the best single DD under €50,-. Don't discout it because of it's plainer looks. In High gloss piano black it's beautiful and in pure white it's downright gorgeous. But I can get the beauty of having a clear body and seeing the internals, it's my preference too.

The Lark is a very nice balanced set. My pair is a first batch so it's a OG Lark 4K and it's something to behold. It's too good for it's price point but so are the others in this comparison. Having that balanced sound means it sounds a lot more natural on most tracks compared to the others. It has less bass compared to them but it shows how much bass there actually is on the track instead of boosting it. And it's a well textured bass with a good extension. It does come with 7 pairs of tips (2 types in S, M and L and a duplicate pair of the grey M) and a case for about €26,-. But that case is €2,30 to get separately so can easily be added to any of them.

My ranking would be Lark 4K>DQ6=KS1 but I should warn you. If you're used to mainstream headphones/earbuds the Lark will be a culture shock as seems to lack a lot of bass compared to them. The KS1 is most like the mainstream gear and the DQ6 is somewhere in the middle of the two.
If all of the iem world is like this than I'm happy to jump in. What a great response! And it teaches me a lot.

Your last point looks very important. I'm used to the m50x, which I guess is very mainstream. It does make me wonder what is possible in different sounds though. I can appreciate good sound, but need a workhorse first. A workhorse that sounds good!

I guess the dq6 fits my needs more as a first buy. I'm risking not liking the sound of the larks, which would be a shame. My strategy should probably be: buy the dq6 as a stepping stone into the iem world and a piece that compliments my ATH-M50X and can be used everyday. It makes more sense if it's between the KS1 and the larks. Making it a nice step into the more serious direction. Probably a safer way to start.

If I'm liking it or are curious for more. Than I'll probably go for the larks, to have something with a different sound. And the SAX after that, which should be higher end, and easier for me to appreciate after starting with the dq6.

Well, call me surprised. I normally go for what's best in my price range. I thought that would be the zxs or zx10pro's. But after the enthusiastic response on the qd6, and your informative answers I'll buy the dq6 first and work from there. I guess it's not always necessary to go max what your budget can handle, but sometimes go under it.

Apr 16, 2021 at 9:45 AM Post #54,924 of 63,924
If all of the iem world is like this than I'm happy to jump in. What a great response! And it teaches me a lot.

Your last point looks very important. I'm used to the m50x, which I guess is very mainstream. It does make me wonder what is possible in different sounds though. I can appreciate good sound, but need a workhorse first. A workhorse that sounds good!

I guess the dq6 fits my needs more as a first buy. I'm risking not liking the sound of the larks, which would be a shame. My strategy should probably be: buy the dq6 as a stepping stone into the iem world and a piece that compliments my ATH-M50X and can be used everyday. It makes more sense if it's between the KS1 and the larks. Making it a nice step into the more serious direction. Probably a safer way to start.

If I'm liking it or are curious for more. Than I'll probably go for the larks, to have something with a different sound. And the SAX after that, which should be higher end, and easier for me to appreciate after starting with the dq6.

Well, call me surprised. I normally go for what's best in my price range. I thought that would be the zxs or zx10pro's. But after the enthusiastic response on the qd6, and your informative answers I'll buy the dq6 first and work from there. I guess it's not always necessary to go max what your budget can handle, but sometimes go under it.
I think the CCA CSN would be a safer bet as an all-rounder IEM. The DQ6 can be a bit fatiguing for me due to its peaks in the treble region.

The following post has the frequency response of both and it shows that the CSN is less peaky compared to the DQ6. From 2kHz and below they seem very similar.
Seems like the XUN driver is responsible for frequencies from 20 (or below) to around 4k

Edit 2: I find the CSN to be "faster" and less peaky and the mid range has a more energetic feel which I highly prefer. The bass has better quality and quantity also. Timbre is similar on both but the CSN has an edge here especially on strings and the bowing is so much clearer which is almost absent on the DQ6. I don't know the exact word to describe but the DQ6 has too much "reverb" for me making the sound unclear. However the DQ6 has better stage and more 3D sounding.

Apr 16, 2021 at 10:15 AM Post #54,925 of 63,924
I think the CCA CSN would be a safer bet as an all-rounder IEM. The DQ6 can be a bit fatiguing for me due to its peaks in the treble region.

The following post has the frequency response of both and it shows that the CSN is less peaky compared to the DQ6. From 2kHz and below they seem very similar.
Thanks! But too late. Already ordered the DQ6. Curiouw what they'll bring. For the price: there's not much to go wrong. We'll see! Chose the Grey version

Apr 16, 2021 at 1:23 PM Post #54,926 of 63,924

CSN vs DQ6.PNG
If you happened to have an 8 core copper cable, try swapping it with the CSN's current cable, then you'll get the larger soundstage you'll need.
Cheers! :beerchug:
C-type 8 core copper cable.jpg

-Clear

Apr 16, 2021 at 1:33 PM Post #54,927 of 63,924
If you happened to have an 8 core copper cable, try swapping it with the CSN's current cable, then you'll get the larger soundstage you'll need.
Cheers! :beerchug:
C-type 8 core copper cable.jpg

-Clear
Is that new KZ cable series pink copper? Good to hear that, I may try get the cable,

Apr 16, 2021 at 1:44 PM Post #54,928 of 63,924

CSN vs DQ6.PNG
Great to see measurements! So CSN is warm W-shaped with the main focus on vocal it seems! :L3000: CCA maxed out tuning a single KZ30095 it seems!
I see CCA also tuned 2k peak to elaborate footsteps for FPS gamers.

Apr 16, 2021 at 3:49 PM Post #54,930 of 63,924
You're welcome :grin:
Always happy to help a newcomer, especially a fellow Dutchman (or woman idk). I was in your shoes about 2 years ago myself.
If you have any more questions just ask anyone (in the appropriate tread, be it your own or brand/subject specific) or if you want you can send me a PM. I don't know much but I can help with most of the basics.

But sadly not the entire IEM world is like this, there are some faction wars going on. But most here like me want nothing to do with that and just enjoy the gear we have.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back