Knowledge Zenith (KZ) impressions thread
Apr 13, 2021 at 10:54 PM Post #54,886 of 63,844
Just received the DQ6, they is my first IEM with the newer "c type" connector. Sadly using the stock cable I cant get a correct fit because of the angled connector. I've swapped to the TRN M10 cable and the fit is perfect. Anyone know of other C type cables that have a straight 2 pin connector? I'd prefer an earhook and thicker cable but have not seen any. Thanks.

Apr 14, 2021 at 12:07 AM Post #54,888 of 63,844
Listening to the DQ6 now, using a Tripowin Zonie balanced cable, via 2.5 balanced output from my ES100 Dac/amp. Source is Samsung S20 ( with Bluetooth set to LDAC) with Spotify. The DQ6 is sounding great right now with this music:

Apr 14, 2021 at 12:58 AM Post #54,889 of 63,844
DQ6 is my first ChiFi IEM. I'm massively impressed by how good they are.
Replaced the cable with a Xinhs one from Ali.
Really nice cable for the price and comes with a nice carry case.
Makes a good improvement over the stock cable.

IMG20210413151535.jpg

Last edited:
Apr 14, 2021 at 5:20 AM Post #54,890 of 63,844
Yea, all I can say is that CCA got it right with the CCA CSN.

Silver cables:
Video game time, movie time, or just at the gym, go with the silver cables.

Copper cables:
Music, monitoring, or just want to go to cloud 9, go with the copper cables.

PS. Just make sure to get rid of those dreaded default ear tips for some new silicone aftermarket ear tips!

Enjoy!
Thanks for all your great input! Between the DQ6 and CSN, which would you say is more suitable for genres such as black/death/thrash metal, or crust punk? Based on your posts in different threads and the fact that CSN uses a BA, which should work better with fast, complicated tracks, I feel like CCA might have a slight edge over KZ in this scenario.

Apr 14, 2021 at 6:13 AM Post #54,891 of 63,844
KZ DQ6 rank A-.

DQ6.png

It’s been a few years since I got a KZ and WOW, it is a great iem.

Tight, fast and well textured bass that’s fun because of the elevation but is clean because of the tightness and speed.

Mids are recessed giving it a V-shaped sound, but is very natural because of the timbre and tonality (although the tonality is leaning a bit more towards brightness, so some male vocals do need more warmth).

Treble, while it is very airy and the quantity isn’t too much for me, it is a bit unrefined and peaky. Which is the biggest weakness along with the technicalities (except soundstage) where it is actually good for this price, but doesn’t punch much higher (same level as the blon bl-03 (mesh mod)). Soundstage is very big though, probably the biggest soundstage you can get at this price and it definitely can rival stuff in the 100-200 usd range. Timbre is also very good along with coherency.

DQ6 VS FD5.png

It is like a mini Fiio FD5 but a bit more recessed mids and more unrefined/peaky treble and technicalities arent in the same league. If you like the DQ6, the upgrade to it would be the FD5.

Apr 14, 2021 at 6:17 AM Post #54,892 of 63,844
KZ DQ6 rank A-.

DQ6.png

Tight, fast and well textured bass that’s fun because of the elevation but is clean because of the tightness and speed.

Mids are recessed giving it a V-shaped sound, but is very natural because of the timbre and tonality (although the tonality is leaning a bit more towards brightness, so some male vocals do need more warmth).

Treble, while it is very airy and the quantity isn’t too much for me, it is a bit unrefined and peaky. Which is the biggest weakness along with the technicalities (except soundstage) where it is actually good for this price, but doesn’t punch much higher (same level as the blon bl-03 (mesh mod)). Soundstage is very big though, probably the biggest soundstage you can get at this price and it definitely can rival stuff in the 100-200 usd range. Timbre is also very good along with coherency.

DQ6 VS FD5.png
It is like a mini Fiio FD5 but a bit more recessed mids and more unrefined/peaky treble and technicalities arent in the same league. If you like the DQ6, the upgrade to it would be the FD5.
Did you rolled tips on DQ6 to counter the peaks? JVC dot ++ seems to counter that on my end.

Apr 14, 2021 at 6:19 AM Post #54,893 of 63,844
Did you rolled tips on DQ6 to counter the peaks? JVC dot ++ seems to counter that on my end.
I am using the elecom ehp cap 20. Even the type e doesn't help it much.

(I always tip roll)

Apr 14, 2021 at 9:22 AM Post #54,894 of 63,844
Thanks for all your great input! Between the DQ6 and CSN, which would you say is more suitable for genres such as black/death/thrash metal, or crust punk? Based on your posts in different threads and the fact that CSN uses a BA, which should work better with fast, complicated tracks, I feel like CCA might have a slight edge over KZ in this scenario.
DQ6 is more impactful, and gives you a live house presentation with JBL speakers and marshall amps.

Apr 14, 2021 at 9:34 AM Post #54,896 of 63,844
DQ6 is more impactful, and gives you a live house presentation with JBL speakers and marshall amps.
Could you elaborate? Based on what I've read CSN is the darker sounding of the two, meaning it's bass is more accentuated, hence should have more impact. Or am I getting it wrong?

Apr 14, 2021 at 9:36 AM Post #54,897 of 63,844
You guys piqued my interest. So the CSN has the same 10mm DD as the DQ6?
Yea from the backside shape of both unit, i’m pretty certain that’s XUN
tuning is very differen, DQ6 for U shape with some wet coloring on lower mid, CSN is slight W shape with very warm tuning and main focus on vocal range.

Last edited:
Apr 14, 2021 at 10:31 AM Post #54,899 of 63,844
Ahem... great minds think alike 👀

Indeed and it does no matter the make or model :wink: And of course (IMO) the satin finishes are always the classiest:beerchug:

The Gray-OFF.JPG

Last edited:
Apr 14, 2021 at 10:48 AM Post #54,900 of 63,844
KZ DQ6 rank A-.

DQ6.png

DQ6 VS FD5.png
Nice review. Completely agree with your assessment of the DQ6.

However, sometimes an unexpected synergy between equipment occurs that is completely unexplainable and addictive! I was rolling through my gear with the DQ6, pulled out my old Colorfly C4, which hardly sees the light of day and bam I am hooked! The soundstage is massive, different instruments have plenty of air around them. The attack is fast and tight. Yes, the treble is still peaky but not offensive. The mids aren't as recessed.

It's 10:30pm here and I'm rocking to ZZ Top's Tres Hombres on this set up.

I've hardly taken my Focal Stellia off over the last year and feel a bit of an idiot for gushing over a set of iems that cost less than 30 bucks!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back