Knowledge Zenith (KZ) impressions thread
Apr 14, 2021 at 10:53 AM Post #54,901 of 63,845
Nice review. Completely agree with your assessment of the DQ6.

However, sometimes an unexpected synergy between equipment occurs that is completely unexplainable and addictive! I was rolling through my gear with the DQ6, pulled out my old Colorfly C4, which hardly sees the light of day and bam I am hooked! The soundstage is massive, different instruments have plenty of air around them. The attack is fast and tight. Yes, the treble is still peaky but not offensive. The mids aren't as recessed.

It's 10:30pm here and I'm rocking to ZZ Top's Tres Hombres on this set up.

I've hardly taken my Focal Stellia off over the last year and feel a bit of an idiot for gushing over a set of iems that cost less than 30 bucks!
(I dont call that a review lol, more of a short impression.)

It really is a great iem, regardless of price. Now we only have to wait and see if this was a fluke by KZ or if they can replicate and upgrade it with newer models.

Apr 14, 2021 at 1:16 PM Post #54,902 of 63,845
We

all got dark grey model😂
Pewter Gray is probably my fave color in an iem:thumbsup:

TFZ Queen.JPG

However even a Sintered Stainless Steel is a fine shade of gray:wink:

NIN SOLO.JPG

O Crappy-Ola, I'm in the KZ Thread:fearful: Here ya go Gray Lovers:grin:

One Oh One.JPG

Apr 14, 2021 at 3:37 PM Post #54,903 of 63,845
Well, I am truly amazed at my recent accidental discovery and it dispels some of the myths which I had harboured in my head. The infamous 30095 BA is the BA used in BQEYZ KB100 and....it is placed in the nozzle!

Well, I wonder if Penon had released graphics like KZ/CCA does then would they be so successful/appreciated. Kudos to BQEYZ for doing a splendid tuning job and it proves that KZ still hasn't maxed out the capabilities of 30095 as of yet. The question arises why KZ doesn't try and utilize 30095 like Penon/BQEYZ has done. It is such a mature sounding set that my skepticism and disappointment has taken a deeper plunge that KZ with their years of experience aren't able to achieve that level smoothness+airiness from their most beloved BA.

Attachments

• 20210415_005151.jpg
    20210415_005151.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 0
Apr 14, 2021 at 4:43 PM Post #54,904 of 63,845
Thanks for all your great input! Between the DQ6 and CSN, which would you say is more suitable for genres such as black/death/thrash metal, or crust punk? Based on your posts in different threads and the fact that CSN uses a BA, which should work better with fast, complicated tracks, I feel like CCA might have a slight edge over KZ in this scenario.
Both the DQ6 and CSN can perform well with many genre's because of the quick and fast bass response while basically showing a good amount of detail and clarity. But, just remember that the DQ6 can be a little peaky towards the higher MID's and lower treble for the genre's you mentioned above to sound natural. So, you might want to play it safe and go with the CSN, since they have no problem with peaks and higher frequency disturbances. They both have similarities in both their sound signatures, but the CSN will not peak at all due to the incredibly well-tuned BA and DD the CCA team manage to accomplish for such a feat at a bargain price. And, though I have both, I am baffled how KZ and CCA would manage to sell the DQ6 and CSN for such a low price versus performance, which incredibly punches well above many more expensive earphones in the current market today. This today is a step up compared to what they were selling several years back. Somebody in their tuning department must be getting it right with a much better mature sounding signature, IMHO.

Last edited:
Apr 14, 2021 at 4:48 PM Post #54,905 of 63,845
Pewter Gray is probably my fave color in an iem:thumbsup:

TFZ Queen.JPG

However even a Sintered Stainless Steel is a fine shade of gray:wink:

NIN SOLO.JPG

O Crappy-Ola, I'm in the KZ Thread:fearful: Here ya go Gray Lovers:grin:

One Oh One.JPG
I am a fan of the gray...I also really like the black

Apr 14, 2021 at 5:03 PM Post #54,906 of 63,845
Both the DQ6 and CSN can perform well with many genre's because of the quick and fast bass response while basically showing a good amount of detail and clarity. But, just remember that the DQ6 can be a little peaky towards the higher MID's and lower treble for the genre's you mentioned above to sound natural. So, you might want to play it safe and go with the CSN, since they have no problem with peaks and higher frequency disturbances. They both have similarities in both their sound signatures, but the CSN will not peak at all due to the incredibly well-tuned BA and DD the CCA team did to accomplish such a feat at a bargain price. And, though I have both, I am baffled how KZ and CCA would manage to sell the DQ6 and CSN for such a low price versus performance, which incredibly punches well above many more expensive earphones in the current market today. This today is a step up compared to what they were selling several years back. Somebody in their tuning department must be getting it right with a much better mature sounding signature, IMHO.
Thanks for taking the time to write such an extensive and helpful reply!
I'm about to pull the trigger on the CSN. It's hard to believe that they cost only $ 14,49 on AE.

Apr 14, 2021 at 5:11 PM Post #54,907 of 63,845
Nice review. Completely agree with your assessment of the DQ6.

However, sometimes an unexpected synergy between equipment occurs that is completely unexplainable and addictive! I was rolling through my gear with the DQ6, pulled out my old Colorfly C4, which hardly sees the light of day and bam I am hooked! The soundstage is massive, different instruments have plenty of air around them. The attack is fast and tight. Yes, the treble is still peaky but not offensive. The mids aren't as recessed.

It's 10:30pm here and I'm rocking to ZZ Top's Tres Hombres on this set up.

I've hardly taken my Focal Stellia off over the last year and feel a bit of an idiot for gushing over a set of iems that cost less than 30 bucks!
Haha that happened to me too, listening to full size large cans, actually requires energy. Like having a sapper at restaurant with dress code, IEM like DQ6 comes in handy, very fast food experience but that burger is juicy!

Apr 15, 2021 at 1:08 PM Post #54,908 of 63,845
...agree, ASX was a mistake..KZ still lacks linear phase tuning to make sound cohesive especially for ASX.
I still don't understand why people don't like the ASX, but maybe that's because I have no idea what linear phase tuning and a cohesive sound is.
They are one of my favorites, but I do admit all I have is budget stuff.....they were bought on a nice sale so they go into my budget category.

Apr 15, 2021 at 1:12 PM Post #54,909 of 63,845
Tru
I still don't understand why people don't like the ASX, but maybe that's because I have no idea what linear phase tuning and a cohesive sound is.
They are one of my favorites, but I do admit all I have is budget stuff.....they were bought on a nice sale so they go into my budget category.
Trust your ears

Apr 15, 2021 at 1:47 PM Post #54,910 of 63,845
I also liked the ASX alot, but because of its size and enormous fin, it hurt my ears after awhile.

Apr 15, 2021 at 4:40 PM Post #54,911 of 63,845
I also liked the ASX alot, but because of its size and enormous fin, it hurt my ears after awhile.
I'd seriously be just fine if the ASX was the last IEM I ever bought and I had to use it forever.
I'm usually heavily influenced by reviews, and yet I still like it even with all the bad reviews out there.
I did get lucky as it fits my ears perfectly just like a custom IEM, so that's a big part of the reason I like it so much.
(I have the CCA CS16 too, and it does hurt my ears a bit as it's built slightly different.)

Apr 15, 2021 at 5:03 PM Post #54,912 of 63,845
What about zsx vs dq6 for a beginner? Asked a more detailed question in the sub100 thread, but like to ask here too. I'm intrigued by the high-tech zsx (since people are excited about it and say it's better than the zs10pro if you have neither of them), but wonder if the qd6 might be a better start and allrounder. Neither of them is a bad buy I think, but as a first IEM id like to know which is better. The zxs was recommended to me and is high on a lot of lists, closely followed by the zs10pro. Dq6 seems newer and maybe a bit boring?

Last edited:
Apr 15, 2021 at 5:33 PM Post #54,913 of 63,845
I'd seriously be just fine if the ASX was the last IEM I ever bought and I had to use it forever.
I'm usually heavily influenced by reviews, and yet I still like it even with all the bad reviews out there.
I did get lucky as it fits my ears perfectly just like a custom IEM, so that's a big part of the reason I like it so much.
(I have the CCA CS16 too, and it does hurt my ears a bit as it's built slightly different.)
I’d recommend find a used moondrop blessing2, that should come to some 100-200 usd range, blessing2 is what linear phasing is all about, and that’s the main reason why that $320 IEM is being hyped to be referred TOTL competitor.

Apr 15, 2021 at 5:50 PM Post #54,914 of 63,845
I’d recommend find a used moondrop blessing2, that should come to some 100-200 usd range, blessing2 is what linear phasing is all about, and that’s the main reason why that $320 IEM is being hyped to be referred TOTL competitor.
I forget what TOTL stands for but that's like an end-game IEM right? I would like to try one with that reputation just so I can possibly ruin my budget collection by hearing something a step above that makes me hate what I own. :)

Would the Blessing2 be pretty foolproof if I wanted to try an end-game IEM one of these days?

Apr 15, 2021 at 5:54 PM Post #54,915 of 63,845
What about zsx vs dq6 for a beginner? Asked a more detailed question in the sub100 thread, but like to ask here too. I'm intrigued by the high-tech zsx (since people are excited about it and say it's better than the zs10pro if you have neither of them), but wonder if the qd6 might be a better start and allrounder. Neither of them is a bad buy I think, but as a first IEM id like to know which is better. The zxs was recommended to me and is high on a lot of lists, closely followed by the zs10pro. Dq6 seems newer and maybe a bit boring?
Of the two the DQ6 has the better coherency, better cable and fits better in the ear. But it lags behind on technicality's and imaging. And the stock tips are rather bad.
The ZSX falls in this weird middle ground where it's slightly better than the ZN10 Pro due to the new DD but falls behind the ZAX which is a far more refined version of it. And with it's shell being larger than those two it might not fit as well. It also has a slight tendency to get shouty on some tracks.

You won't go wrong with either of them but if I had to chose between the two I'd get the DQ6. Even though I don't consider it a beginner IEM (Beginner IEM = everything you need is in the box) as you most likely will need to look for different tips, it is definitely the better of the two.

Personally I'd skip the ZSX and go for the ZAX, it's doesn't cost that much more and significantly better in sound quality, fitment, it has the same cable as the DQ6 and no issues with tips. It's the total package for about €6,- more. Between the ZAX and the DQ6 I'd get the ZAX but it is twice the price.

Other ones you might want to look at are the KBEAR KS1 and Lark. Two highly capable IEM's around the same price as the DQ6.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back