Knowledge Zenith (KZ) impressions thread
Jan 1, 2021 at 6:58 PM Post #53,432 of 63,884
My Z1's no longer charge after leaving them in my backpack for awhile unused. Anyone know of any KZ or other chifi TWS IEM's that are worth buying? The Z1 Pro's?

Love the Z1 for its sound, but not so much the battery life, and the Z1 pro's rated 2 hours playback time is not encouraging at all. If that is true, my guess is they will become unusable in like half a year. FIIL's are pretty decent i think. Very well received by most. I have the T1XS and T1X and both are pretty good. It doesn't sound as "fun" as the Z1, but it's enjoyable enough. Though the fit is just meh. it's tight and secure which is good if you want better isolation, but the soundstage is a bit more in my head. the sound is also quite sensitive to fit imo. Also if you want to use them for sports there is more thumping sound from footsteps as well. The T1 Lite has a glowing review from Scarbir as well.

If you want a similar fit to the KZ Z1, the TRN T300 could be an option too, just reuse the KZ Z1 tips and you're good to go. Sound wise the TRN T300 will be more fun than the FIILs too and I actually enjoy using them more than the FIILs. Battery life isn't as good as the FIIL though, and they are more expensive as well. But you might be able to get more recommendation in the TWS thread.
:beerchug:

ovZasfe.png

Last edited:
Jan 2, 2021 at 12:39 AM Post #53,433 of 63,884
Recently iv'e been wearing the ZS6 in reverse (right piece in left ear, Left piece in Right ear, with the cable going downwards) + shallow TWS tips and let me tell ya - i get one of the best fits ever this way. For some reason when it's upside down they sit comfortably on my ears and the nozzle never comes out. Just a nice consistent sound throughout.

I advise everyone to try this with their ZS6s (maybe even ZS5).
Now you know that is exactly what I thought and all I can say is I learn something new every day:astonished: I mean truly:astonished: So much so I did the Watusi right in my den with them and it's the Mechanical Bull test next:stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

Up-Side-Down ZS6.jpg

I was finally able to try out this channel swap + upside down trick tonight. Amazing! I love this setup with the ZS7.

As I suspected, it fits more naturally with the 90 degree 2-pin plugs (which is nice because the BT20 uses that style).

2FDAFF82-FE36-46F9-AF71-15487FD613D7.jpeg

Jan 2, 2021 at 3:13 AM Post #53,435 of 63,884
Cable show time? :)20210101_174320.jpg
Ha ha that's great! I notice you have fitted the lilac Kinboofi cable to your BA10. Is that a good combination?

Jan 2, 2021 at 3:59 AM Post #53,436 of 63,884
I got $10 compensation coupon from Aliexpress and I wanna upgrade my ZSX cable but I don't know much about cables. Should I go for silver plated cable or gold silver mixed cable?
thanks

The FAAEAL cables are super nice, currently my favorite 2.5mm balanced cables, but the 3.5mm are nice as well. Anything silver with the ZSX can be a little harsh for treble. The Hibiscus is actually a really good single DD, very flat bass response from 1khz down, but subbass can be easily boosted with some micropore tape for a more exciting sound. And the mid bass doesn't get muddy. Its still a single DD but done well. Cheap enough you can buy it just for the cable. If you need to do any real monitoring/mixing its a good neutral IEM.

Anyway, long live FAEEAL litz cables.

Jan 2, 2021 at 4:58 AM Post #53,437 of 63,884
anyone who has a DQ6 and a ZS7? In my opinion, the ZS7 is the closest KZ came to a basshead IEM. everything else is just playing around with the highs and mids.
I'm hearing nice things about the xun driver, and I'm hoping for a nice warm bassy set of DD IEMs - are the DQ6's close ?

Jan 2, 2021 at 5:43 AM Post #53,438 of 63,884
anyone who has a DQ6 and a ZS7? In my opinion, the ZS7 is the closest KZ came to a basshead IEM. everything else is just playing around with the highs and mids.
I'm hearing nice things about the xun driver, and I'm hoping for a nice warm bassy set of DD IEMs - are the DQ6's close ?

DQ6 is bassy enough for me.
It have decent punch, some rumble, and a bit of texture. but it's not overpowering other sound or always present even tough the music doesn't call for it like Sony ExtraBass did.
So it's depend on how much bass do you need.

It's been awhile since i tried ZS7 (or ZS10), all i remember is how airy ZS7 is due to semi open back design and the boomy bass.
it's boomy and slower compared to tighter and faster bass in ZS10.
Also, my impression at the time the ZS7 and ZS10 didn't have proper texture or details compared to TFZ King series that i audition at the time.

I don't remember enough to do A-B comparison.
But if my memory right, i think DQ6 is a step up in rumble and texture compare to ZS10 and ZS7. Again, it's been really awhile since i tried those two.
DQ6 does have a bit of problem when it need to deal with double pedal. It's not fast enough so the sound kinda got muddled.

That being said, i barely use the DQ6 for around 10 hour, so burn in my change the sound a bit. not to mention stock cable and eartip. But so far, i'm impressed how "rounded" DQ6 is. especially my last daily drive KZ is the sharp ZS5.

Jan 2, 2021 at 9:53 AM Post #53,441 of 63,884
Ha ha that's great! I notice you have fitted the lilac Kinboofi cable to your BA10. Is that a good combination?
Lilac is a nice colour, and this Kinboofi cable is one of my first 16-core cables; somehow they came together with BA10 and are now inseparable. I did get and tried TRI Through for BA10 and AS10.
I did not find BA10 to be as cable sensitive as AS10 (different crossovers) and A10 (being all-BA at 15 Ohm and with sparkly treble, A10 served as a most sensitive IEM for cable testing).

I do prefer the cables without ear guides for the most flexibility of the fit. Fit is a very important factor for me with cables.

Then with all the cables, I hear very little difference with all of them - copper, spc, pure silver, when the resistance is less than 0.5 Ohm per wire.

@hakuzen & @RikudouGoku have nice databases of cable measurements to consult.

Beyond the resistance measurements and the documented effect of resistance, there are hearing the difference and imagining the difference.
For the later, lilac, blue and blue-green cables are my absolute favourites for the shimmering holographicity, expanding and extending above and beyond, and nicely accentuating the positives :)

There are no measurements to prove any difference between pure copper and spc of the same thickness, and to suggest that OCC, SPOC are any better (and I am not even starting about graphene and palladium...)

So the nice lilac cable got the best match with BA10 for the colours, comfortable listening and overall most enjoyable listening experience :)

Last edited:
Jan 2, 2021 at 10:17 AM Post #53,442 of 63,884
I bought the lilac cable to match my lilac KBEAR Lark, it looks great and sounds good too. I found that a pure copper cable works best with my BA10.

Jan 2, 2021 at 12:53 PM Post #53,444 of 63,884
Do switching cables really make a difference in sound? As long as its conductive shouldn't it make no difference in sound?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back