Knowledge Zenith (KZ) impressions thread
Dec 14, 2020 at 10:19 PM Post #53,146 of 64,383
Also, how to repair old Sennheiser headphones with pantyhoses and bits of adhesive tape :)

Dec 14, 2020 at 10:28 PM Post #53,147 of 64,383
Also, how to repair old Sennheiser headphones with pantyhoses and bits of adhesive tape :)
I remember when Sennheiser HD600/650 was the best headphone of choice back then.

Dec 14, 2020 at 11:05 PM Post #53,148 of 64,383
I remember when Sennheiser HD600/650 was the best headphone of choice back then.
That's was newer one at the turn of the century :) Mine's the older HD565 Ovation which I got for a steal at just over USD$200 at a trade show. Think it was $400 new then. Preferred it over the highly-praised HD580. IMHO, the 565 was a better all-rounder than 580 (and much cheaper at $200+). How's that for a comparison review 25 years too late :)

Dec 15, 2020 at 4:26 AM Post #53,149 of 64,383
KZ DQ6 is on preorder now :) 21.55$ from MissAudio store when using the code.

Dec 15, 2020 at 4:31 AM Post #53,151 of 64,383
What is the code?
4ODK1TBWU84W and if you message them you can get another 1$, when you press that present icon in the messenger :) so it ends up costing 20.55$

Dec 15, 2020 at 6:07 AM Post #53,152 of 64,383
Does anybody know if earphones with a metallic shell design suffer from the condensation? I mean, can it do some damage to the drivers? I heard rumours about TRN having this kind of issues. Now I'm worried about ZAX since it has an open design.

Dec 15, 2020 at 6:19 AM Post #53,153 of 64,383
Does anybody know if earphones with a metallic shell design suffer from the condensation? I mean, can it do some damage to the drivers? I heard rumours about TRN having this kind of issues. Now I'm worried about ZAX since it has an open design.

The TRN BA5 and some sets like LZ A6 mini have this moisture condensation issue where moisture builds up in the mesh/nozzle and causes intermittent sound cut out. Once dried the sound returns. I don't think it has anything to do with the shell but more at the nozzle mesh. And also depends on the humidity in your country and how long duration you listen to it.

Seems later batches have been fixed with changing the meshes.

Dec 15, 2020 at 1:09 PM Post #53,156 of 64,383
Screenshot_20201215_180547.jpg
Screenshot_20201215_180605.jpg

KZ/CCA seems to tune everything the same way lately. DQ6 and CKX :)

Dec 15, 2020 at 1:22 PM Post #53,157 of 64,383
That's was newer one at the turn of the century :) Mine's the older HD565 Ovation which I got for a steal at just over USD$200 at a trade show. Think it was $400 new then. Preferred it over the highly-praised HD580. IMHO, the 565 was a better all-rounder than 580 (and much cheaper at $200+). How's that for a comparison review 25 years too late :)

It's never too late :wink: I'm sure if some of the Senn full size followers saw this they would agree :thumbsup:

Not that I know exactly where the thread is but putting a shred of absorbing cotton type material (in the nozzle of course) will help alleviate the issue and give longer listening periods to moisture prone iem's as long as you use a light porous one:grin:

Let's celebrate everything KZ has brought to Chi-Fi and the hobby in general, viva KZ:beerchug: (seemed like the right thread for this):rolling_eyes:

I'm sure a lot got started with one of these or possibly even earlier like the Rings thang :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

KZ LUV.JPG

Then all the sudden you turn around and.............................

KZ Inventory.JPG

When I say "All the sudden you turn around" it seemed we were introduced to a new release monthly:astonished:

Last edited:
Dec 15, 2020 at 10:25 PM Post #53,159 of 64,383
Same with TwinACStacks.

And who can forget the Marshall Mode guy (in a KZ thread of all places)?

Good memories :)

Yeah, I forgot about Twin but that Marshall Mode guy was unbearable. If my memory serves me correctly that was during the ED7 debut, which was another unique sounding KZ that didn't have many fans. They were cool but tip hunting was extensive for them.

I still have the stupid thing in a ziplock baggie with the false hope that one day I can rebuild it like Steve Austin.

I've got about a dozen projects in ziplock baggies "with the false hope that one day I can rebuild it" and my VJJB just got added to the pile.

A lot of great KZ history in this thread :thumbsup: With all the new and fancy KZ's that have come out in the past 5-6 years I believe this is still one of my favorite looking KZ's ever and sound wise they can almost keep up with my ED9's:grin:

The Old 36.JPG

I do own a set of the DT5 but unfortunately not the rare set you have there. Very cool.

I pulled mine out a few weeks ago but forgot to put them back in their case.
Need to do that, ASAP.

Does anyone here own the DT3?

41Ylfg8yDXL._SX385_.jpg

I always wondered about those and the more rare RX in white that I hesitated pulling the trigger on. They were kind of cool looking with the white cable and Monster Turbine thing going on there.

5384078_301115f5-e464-41d2-8f2b-6abbaa8a24af.jpg

I've no idea how either of them sound.

@Alpha Whale no KZ EDX in your list? For ~$7 or less, you should grab it. Pretty impressive for what it is. They aren't too difficult to pop open either, the crystal color would be good for projects.

I'll probably get a white EDX and two clear EDX.
Not interested in the gray, black or Smokey EDX.

Can anyone comment on how the EDX compares to the ATR (either v1 or v2) or the most recent ATE?

Each time you show this image - it reminds me of my first Audiophile (KZ-heritage(?)) IEM that came after Sony XB50, and cost about $36 alone from Amazon... took all the physical abuse, and still strong and very competitively sounding :)
20201214_174138.jpg

That Ferro looks like a rebranded DT5 but I've never heard it so I can't confirm my suspicions. It does have dual dynamics and the KZ tips on it though.

411Be7DBGeL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

Speaking of new, and call it an expectation bias, I am very-very happy with wide-nozzle ASX:
20201214_175726.jpg
No frequency gaps, no choking and quite extended but not harsh treble, and very airy :)

I'll think I'll now get a black one (the poor nozzle donor will be less-loved ZSN Pro X).

I have everything ready for the swap when my black ASF arrives. I can't bring myself to do it on the blue/silver model. They're just too stately. I've been swamped at work so I won't get to swapping the nozzles until next week, anyway.
I'm hoping I don't destroy the new ones in the process. A slow pace and steady hand should result in a good fit and finish.

Glad to hear your feedback on the presentation. Looking forward to hearing the upgraded presentation on my ASF. I took my unmodified ASF with me while grocery shopping and the experience just confirmed my initial impression of them.
They are a bit too bassy for classical but they simply aced the following tracks.

Sounds rich, warm and natural. Forward midrange and no unpleasant peaks.

Again, rich, warm and natural. Centered midrange and no unpleasant peaks.
Not as bassy as some are led to believe but there is a great sense of weight in the notes and vocals.

The trumpet, sax, drums and vocals sound so natural here.
A virtual one on one performance to my ears.

and here I feel like I'm on site with Tina Dico and the boys.

The high resolution is definitely still present but the BAs have a more DD-type of presentation to me. The crisp leading edge of each instrument and voice that I have come to expect with balanced armatures is less present.

Does the timbre or tonality on your ASX change for the better or for the worse once modified ?

Thanks in advance.

I also ordered DQ6 today to fully experience the might of multi-DD KZs!

My first post (and the main reason to join HeadFi) was in this thread, and now it is my 1000-th post here :gs1000smile::beerchug::gs1000smile:

It'll be cool comparing notes on the DQ6. I don't imagine they'd be released if they aren't perhaps at least a four star in-ear which I'm ok with but a four star plus 3DD
in-ear would be such a steal at $25. I'm really looking forward to them.

Congrats on the 1k milestone. It'll probably be a few years for me to hit that milestone.

the KZ thread has a huge number of posts and subscribers. What this shows is that there are many more people who want great sound, without spending a fortune.

stuff from brands like KZ became something I could aspire to.

My raison d'etre.

Let's celebrate everything KZ has brought to Chi-Fi and the hobby in general, viva KZ:beerchug: (seemed like the right thread for this)

KZ Inventory.JPG

Great collection!

I'll have to post pictures of some of my favorite in-ears in the near future.

Actually, it would be helpful if everyone can post a photo of their favorite KZ/CCA with a statement of why it's favored over other KZ/CCA models. Maybe the discussions around those photos could inspire a healthy interest in models that some of us have lost sight of.

I think everybody knows my favorite KZ by now but this little unassuming $23 2+1 hybrid was quite an achievement considering its bang-for-buck ratio. The ZSR v1 is more fun but since that is no longer available this puppy is the next best thing if you can find one.

f0b16b8b98924a1862435c197bb7d970.jpg

Plenty of "air" and definition.

https://www.head-fi.org/showcase/kz-ed16.23179/reviews

Dec 15, 2020 at 11:13 PM Post #53,160 of 64,383
A few people were asking about the KZ DQ6, with its 3xDynamic drivers.

KZ is certainly not the first to do this. This is a sample of some of the triple dynamics that I personally know of. I’m sure there are others.

7FED5610-3839-4F2D-AFCF-320AF96A7C7F.jpegFDAEF51A-35DA-4BAD-87AB-FDD107BC8895.jpegBD1E17E6-EBCD-4B26-AEA0-DAD80BD2FE2C.jpegCD4D5E43-0B81-487F-AF18-9048A8C11F8A.jpegF8AAA96B-7F53-48CD-AC3B-7141F42F6DC7.jpeg64CDF9EB-18B3-4A4A-B1D4-BC11BBE8BE13.jpegABF62BBC-92DF-4B89-A4C6-AA0FF95AAD0C.jpeg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back