Knowledge Zenith (KZ) impressions thread
Dec 14, 2020 at 11:55 AM Post #53,131 of 64,300
That Lord B9 knows what he's talking about with the ZS1 :wink: Still love my Garden Hose QKZ ZN1 Mini berry berry mucho:beerchug: I had the fabled ZN1 (I'm still confused to this day over the ZS1/ZN1 naming's) and worked well for a while but too much to fail on that one which the amp finally did but a neat concept for sure, thinking they should have just stuck with the non-amped version:thinking:

ZN-1.JPG

For me once they dropped the amp and kept the garden hose they had something especially back then in a DD:thumbsup:

KZ ZN1 Mini.jpg

@Alpha Whale the K4 is still my favorite wood iem and a tiny killer to boot :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye: Not to mention who don't love a sweet VJJ:open_mouth:

Wood CMOY.JPG

Love the Newman's Own amp and I remember reading about that amped set from KZ veterans like you! I've been following the thread since Wokei and that irritating James Freeman guy (I think that's his name) that tried to force feed everybody his "one set for everything" opinion. I don't think he understood the joy of the hobby.

You, B9Scrambler, Eisenbrecher, Wokei, Slater and a few others were an inspiration to me. Just want to say thanks for your feedback through the years on this 50,000 strong (posts) thread.

Dec 14, 2020 at 11:55 AM Post #53,132 of 64,300
If you go back to page 1846 (or around there) of this thread Circa 2018 you'll see my amped ZN1 rig with some other's, Greg (Slater) states his disappointment in how early his amp failed I believe:rolling_eyes:

You are so right on Freeman not catching the drift, obviously had trouble thinking out the box :smirk: LOL What's the use in being in a hobby if your not having fun with it right!

Not to poo in the KZ thread, think I own enough of them to stray just a wee bit I'm enjoying this little setup today and like so many Chi-Fi iem's here's one underrated especially with BGVP filters in them and dollar for dollar the Benjie DAP's are bang for the buck like my X6 here. Was worried when I bought it that it would not be as sweet as my S5's (seems I've got every color):scream:

Gray Matter.JPG

I talk to WOKEI weekly still and he's done a couple reviews recently but he's pretty busy taking care of his Mum these days and working he has little time for this stuff but he gets a pass from me always :thumbsup:

Last edited:
Dec 14, 2020 at 11:59 AM Post #53,133 of 64,300
KZ once sold an IEM with a built in amp?? I learn something new every day :)

Dec 14, 2020 at 12:06 PM Post #53,134 of 64,300
KZ once sold an IEM with a built in amp?? I learn something new every day :)

Indeed they did and when it worked it was very sweet however as mentioned it was not totally executed with longevity in mind :thinking:

How silly looking was this array:rolling_eyes: The good part was the amp probably weighed less than all the cable!

dumb Cable.JPG

Funny story about this amp as well as my ES100, BTR3K and Qudelix K5. More than once if not a half dozen time I'm asked when people see one of these hanging on or clipped to me they've asked the same thing or told me they thought it was some kind of medical device on me LOL

Last edited:
Dec 14, 2020 at 12:15 PM Post #53,135 of 64,300
Screenshot_20201215-011128.png

This is equal parts insane and cool. Rechargeable battery, tone controls, mic for calls, and an LED status display? All tied to a specific IEM? I'm amazed :)

Dec 14, 2020 at 1:08 PM Post #53,136 of 64,300
Love the Newman's Own amp and I remember reading about that amped set from KZ veterans like you! I've been following the thread since Wokei and that irritating James Freeman guy (I think that's his name) that tried to force feed everybody his "one set for everything" opinion. I don't think he understood the joy of the hobby.

You, B9Scrambler, Eisenbrecher, Wokei, Slater and a few others were an inspiration to me. Just want to say thanks for your feedback through the years on this 50,000 strong (posts) thread.

Haha, Wokei was a trip. I hope he’s been OK nowadays. Same with TwinACStacks.

And who can forget the Marshall Mode guy (in a KZ thread of all places)?

Good memories :)

Dec 14, 2020 at 1:18 PM Post #53,137 of 64,300
If you go back to page 1846 (or around there) of this thread Circa 2018 you'll see my amped ZN1 rig with some other's, Greg (Slater) states his disappointment in how early his amp failed I believe:rolling_eyes:

You are so right on Freeman not catching the drift, obviously had trouble thinking out the box :smirk: LOL What's the use in being in a hobby if your not having fun with it right!

Not to poo in the KZ thread, think I own enough of them to stray just a wee bit I'm enjoying this little setup today and like so many Chi-Fi iem's here's one underrated especially with BGVP filters in them and dollar for dollar the Benjie DAP's are bang for the buck like my X6 here. Was worried when I bought it that it would not be as sweet as my S5's (seems I've got every color):scream:

Gray Matter.JPG

I talk to WOKEI weekly still and he's done a couple reviews recently but he's pretty busy taking care of his Mum these days and working he has little time for this stuff but he gets a pass from me always :thumbsup:

Yeah, I’m still salty about that to this day. It died after 2 months if I remember correctly.

I tried to buy another, but they were sold out by then. The problem was compounded by the fact that the ZN1 Mini came out, and a lot of sellers were confused by the 2 because the ZN1 Mini actually said ZN1 on it. So there were listings for the ZN1 (ie the amp version), but what you received was the ZN1 Mini (I know because it happened to me).

I even tried to take mine apart to fix it, and the circuit board and solder joints etc was made so cheaply it basically self destructed in my hands to the point that it was beyond repair.

I still have the stupid thing in a ziplock baggie with the false hope that one day I can rebuild it like Steve Austin.

Dec 14, 2020 at 2:16 PM Post #53,138 of 64,300
Yeah, I’m still salty about that to this day. It died after 2 months if I remember correctly.

I tried to buy another, but they were sold out by then. The problem was compounded by the fact that the ZN1 Mini came out, and a lot of sellers were confused by the 2 because the ZN1 Mini actually said ZN1 on it. So there were listings for the ZN1 (ie the amp version), but what you received was the ZN1 Mini (I know because it happened to me).

I even tried to take mine apart to fix it, and the circuit board and solder joints etc was made so cheaply it basically self destructed in my hands to the point that it was beyond repair.

I still have the stupid thing in a ziplock baggie with the false hope that one day I can rebuild it like Steve Austin.

Well you would have to build it like Steve Austin if you wanted to last say more than 2 months :rolling_eyes: Eric is doing well but his Mum is getting up there and requires a lot of care. I'll send him your regards next time we are up on what's app:wink:

Dec 14, 2020 at 2:44 PM Post #53,139 of 64,300
A lot of great KZ history in this thread :thumbsup: With all the new and fancy KZ's that have come out in the past 5-6 years I believe this is still one of my favorite looking KZ's ever and sound wise they can almost keep up with my ED9's:grin: The craziest thing is this entire setup cost me a hair over $36 and it still can please most listeners:wink:

The Old 36.JPG

Dec 14, 2020 at 6:06 PM Post #53,141 of 64,300
A lot of great KZ history in this thread :thumbsup: With all the new and fancy KZ's that have come out in the past 5-6 years I believe this is still one of my favorite looking KZ's ever and sound wise they can almost keep up with my ED9's:grin: The craziest thing is this entire setup cost me a hair over $36 and it still can please most listeners:wink:

Each time you show this image - it reminds me of my first Audiophile (KZ-heritage(?)) IEM that came after Sony XB50, and cost about $36 alone from Amazon... took all the physical abuse, and still strong and very competitively sounding :)
20201214_174138.jpg

Speaking of new, and call it an expectation bias, I am very-very happy with wide-nozzle ASX:
20201214_175726.jpg

No frequency gaps, no choking and quite extended but not harsh treble, and very airy :)

I'll think I'll now get a black one (the poor nozzle donor will be less-loved ZSN Pro X).

I also ordered DQ6 today to fully experience the might of multi-DD KZs!

My first post (and the main reason to join HeadFi) was in this thread, and now it is my 1000-th post here :gs1000smile::beerchug::gs1000smile:

Last edited:
Dec 14, 2020 at 7:39 PM Post #53,142 of 64,300
Each time you show this image - it reminds me of my first Audiophile (KZ-heritage(?)) IEM that came after Sony XB50, and cost about $36 alone from Amazon... took all the physical abuse, and still strong and very competitively sounding :)
20201214_174138.jpg

Speaking of new, and call it an expectation bias, I am very-very happy with wide-nozzle ASX:
20201214_175726.jpg
No frequency gaps, no choking and quite extended but not harsh treble, and very airy :)

I'll think I'll now get a black one (the poor nozzle donor will be less-loved ZSN Pro X).

I also ordered DQ6 today to fully experience the might of multi-DD KZs!

My first post (and the main reason to join HeadFi) was in this thread, and now it is my 1000-th post here :gs1000smile::beerchug::gs1000smile:

same here, without KZ, there will be no Head Fi prolly.

KZ got me started with this hobby

Dec 14, 2020 at 7:56 PM Post #53,143 of 64,300

KZ ZS6 along with an LG V30 purchased around the same time re-ignited my interests with headphones/earbuds/iems and helped me to further appreciate my CD/FLAC rips collection.

Dec 14, 2020 at 8:20 PM Post #53,144 of 64,300

Headfi was around before KZ but they were about either DIY or crazy expensive iems and headphones. While this super expensive stuff is still available and talked about on the forums, I think that the KZ thread has a huge number of posts and subscribers. What this shows is that there are many more people who want great sound, without spending a fortune. When I joined headfi back in 2005, it seemed kinda like an online version of Stereophile. Lots of great reviews and opinions of stuff I couldn't afford. Ten years+ later, the less expensive stuff from brands like KZ became something I could aspire to.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back