Knowledge Zenith (KZ) impressions thread
Dec 13, 2020 at 4:30 PM Post #53,116 of 64,232
3 dynamic drivers IEM is not new. JVC has that several years back, Unique Melody also has 3 DD on their IEM. Same thing with a single BA driver can cover the entire frequency response, why would we even need multiple BA right?
In the speaker world, the most common speaker configuration is a 3 way system (High = tweeter, Mid = mid-range and Low = woofer).
Hopefully, KZ provided a cross-over circuit somewhere in that 3 way configuration. Who knows?

Dec 13, 2020 at 4:41 PM Post #53,117 of 64,232
3 dynamic drivers IEM is not new. JVC has that several years back, Unique Melody also has 3 DD on their IEM. Same thing with a single BA driver can cover the entire frequency response, why would we even need multiple BA right?
In the speaker world, the most common speaker configuration is a 3 way system (High = tweeter, Mid = mid-range and Low = woofer).

Not to mention the I-into i8, some JVC model that the i8 copied, YINJW P8, a QKZ copy of the YINJW P8, and others

Dec 13, 2020 at 6:15 PM Post #53,118 of 64,232
btw ZAX is one of the IEM that does not need burn in... sounds good to start... under $100 I think... ZAX is in top 3
Nice to know. I had that same experience with my ZS10 PRO. The only set in my collection that sounds awesome right outta the box. I thought they got better with burn in, but straight out, they were great even with the medium pre installed tips. Can't say that about anything else I own. Everything else usually is disappointing without a significant amount of burn in. Glad to know that the ZAX is great right away.

Dec 13, 2020 at 8:30 PM Post #53,119 of 64,232
Nice to know. I had that same experience with my ZS10 PRO. The only set in my collection that sounds awesome right outta the box. I thought they got better with burn in, but straight out, they were great even with the medium pre installed tips. Can't say that about anything else I own. Everything else usually is disappointing without a significant amount of burn in. Glad to know that the ZAX is great right away.

Agree ZAX sounded good out of the box. But I did notice smoother treble (less 'metal' sounding) with use. Lots of use later and I don't think there is any "metal sounding tinge" to the treble...

Dec 13, 2020 at 10:54 PM Post #53,120 of 64,232
Yesterday was a sad day for the whale. It was the first time I'd taken out my VJJB K4 in a few years.

20201213_162430.jpg

I inadvertently stepped on the cable and as luck (or destiny) would have it the cable separated at the mic.

Nooooo!!!

I would have been even more bummed if this had occurred to my ebony K4.

VJJB-K4-K4S-in-ear-Wooden-Bass-In-Ear-earphones-Ebony-Earphone-Bass-DIY-Magic-Sound.jpg

downloadfile-7.jpg

Nevertheless, my first thought was that I now have an "oppoty" to re cable the K4. I started hunting for a suitable cable and came across these inexpensive shells which look terribly familiar.

20201213_083736.jpg

20201213_172110.jpg

20201213_172034.jpg

Can you say CCA CST?

(for the most part)

Then I thought "hey, I could repurpose the K4 drivers in new housing and massage the tuning to my liking. Then I came across all of these inexpensive DIY housings.

20201213_171538.jpg

20201213_171620.jpg

20201213_172000.jpg

20201213_171859.jpg

20201213_171413.jpg

20201213_171447.jpg

and by now I'm thinking "hey, I can be my own guinea pig. Do a little research, employ a little trial and error and I may just wind up with something quite unique that I'll really enjoy. More importantly, I'll get an education in the process.

Of course I kept finding more and more stuff to whet my appetite so down the rabbit hole I went.

20201213_171329.jpg

20201213_171145.jpg

20201213_171104.jpg

20201213_171220.jpg

My question now becomes "why not try my hand at customizing my own stuff?"
If I'm going to spend the money anyway then let that money pay for my education. I have over 100 Chi-Fi in-ears and I wouldn't want to part with maybe 2 out 10 of them. I will still pick up an interesting offering here and there, like the DQ6

20201213_172227.png

but at this point I think I'll have more fun experimenting and tweaking.

That’s the ZS1 v2. It was ok, but nowhere near as good as v1.:)

Regarding the ZS1:

I found both of these on Aliexpress so I'll pick up a few sets and I'll try to recreate the ZS1 v1 with the washers but I need to learn more about crossovers so I can implement one properly in order to resurrect "Lord Bass" (the ZS1 nickname per B9Scrambler).

41QShD27wnL._AC_SY400_.jpg

KZ-ZS2-earphone-with-microphone-ear-hook-eargonomic-eartips-portable-earbuds-noice-reduction-d...jpg

20201213_122618.jpg

20201213_122401.jpg

Of course I will re cable both the ZS1 and ZS2 but I will be tweaking the ZS2 midrange (I remember the upper midrange being slightly shouty.

By the way, Slater, what size is that brass washer installed on the ZS1 v1?

The last KZ iem I tried was the ZS3. The evolution of KZ has been unbelievable!

Regarding the ZS3:

Agreed! KZ has progressed by leaps and bounds since the debut of the ZS3. That said, I still think the form factor of the ZS3 is as relevant today as it was when it debuted.

KZ-ZS3-1DD-Dynamic-Earphones-In-Ear-Audio-Monitors-noise-canceling-HiFi-Music-Sports-Earbuds-W...jpg

Mainly because in-ear housing is half the battle. The housing shell (or the likeness thereof) was good enough for StageDriver at $300, $400 and $500 price points so the $15 ZS3 form factor is good enough for me. Given the current lockdown status I think I'll put the free time to use trying to create a sound signature worthy of the shell's fit and comfort but I first need to acquire more knowledge about crossover implementation and where to actually source in-ear crossovers.

20190423113740_66046.jpg_400x400.jpg

Click and then double tap to expand this image
UASUqCcbFYx0jfnmka9BAN4qPGICSte5mX28Y4nXkPM.jpg

Luke (Vibro) was a wealth of knowledge in these matters.

I took one for the team and ordered the CS16 yesterday.
I probably shouldn't have done it, but they suckered me in with a sale price.

Hold your head up, brother. This is a good thing. We need feedback. If no one tried any of the in-ears we all discuss here then we'd all be in the dark. Thanks for taking the plunge.

Waiting for the DQ6 to be released and I will most likely order it.

I will definitely be ordering at least two sets. That's less than $60. If they issue more than one color I'll probably order more. KZ has a nasty habit of tweaking the sound to address the concerns of some reviewers after a model's initial release (ZS1, ZS3, ZS5, ZS6 and ZSR).

Yes, you read that correctly. The ZSR v1 was a real gem to my ears. So much so that after a few months I ordered all of the other colors. When they arrived I excitedly opened the white ZSR first, hoping to hear exactly what my original ZSR sounds like.

Nope!

All of the new ones sound boomy and slightly muddy.

To anyone with the ZSR:

If your ZSR came with KZ's braided cable then chances are that you have a ZSR v2. The ZSR v1 was only shipped with the rubbery non-braided cable. Some reviewers complained that the upper midrange was too strident on the ZSR and KZ subsequently tweaked the tuning and ruined a great in-ear. My ZSR v1 sounds like an ED16 with a bit more verve and kick. The ZSR v2 sounds dark and veiled with a monotonous one-note base.

They tweaked the ZSR and ruined it.
They tweaked the ZS6 and ruined it.
They tweaked the ZS1 and ruined it.
They tweaked the ZS5 and ruined it.

RUINOUS!

JUST RUINOUS!

KZ DQ6 is now available on Aliexpress, on multiple shops.

3 DD set, going at $27 USD.
Very unique driver config, any takers?

That would be me. Link please!

True, KZ will probably still stick to their V shaped comfort zone in all likelihood. Actually there's a real possibility it may sound worse than a 1 DD. The more drivers one adds in, the higher chance of screwing up something, like crossovers, coherency issues etc. There's probably a reason why there's not many multi DD sets out there.

For the most part I agree with you but I'm hoping that there has been enough progress in R&D to give us something unique and pleasant. Unique Melody has a 3DD offering as well that, rumor has it, should be available for sale about a week from today give or take a few days. I am looking forward to feedback on the Unique Melody unit but I absolutely must have the DQ6 in it's debut iteration before KZ starts tweaking things shortly after the reviews start coming in.

True. Maybe KZ is trying to revive the multi-DD craze - the cult favourite OG Tin T2 did have two DDs on each side after all! There have also been a few BQEYZ sets with dual DDs and BAs, and KZ ZS5/ZS6 of course :)

Agreed

and those hybrids were all chart-topping Chi-Fi in their $50 price bracket.

By the way, what ever happened to this promising model?

BQEYZ BQ6 a (0).jpg

The BQEYZ BQ6

Last edited:
Dec 13, 2020 at 11:36 PM Post #53,121 of 64,232
Regarding the ZS1:

I found both of these on Aliexpress so I'll pick up a few sets and I'll try to recreate the ZS1 v1 with the washers but I need to learn more about crossovers so I can implement one properly in order to resurrect "Lord Bass" (the ZS1 nickname per B9Scrambler).

What are you going to do about the crossover that’s in the ZS1 v1, but eliminated in the ZS1 v2 and ZS2?

Dec 13, 2020 at 11:57 PM Post #53,122 of 64,232
What are you going to do about the crossover that’s in the ZS1 v1, but eliminated in the ZS1 v2 and ZS2?

It'll be a process. I have to figure it out. First I need to get more educated about crossover implementation, meanwhile I'll be trying to find a good source for crossovers.

Any information or links would be great.

Thanks in advance.

Last edited:
Dec 13, 2020 at 11:59 PM Post #53,123 of 64,232
Dec 14, 2020 at 12:15 AM Post #53,124 of 64,232
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005001879050215.html

Strange, I saw it on at least 3 shops yesterday, now it only seems to be selling on this one.

Look forward to your impressions if you are getting it!

AWESOME!!

Yes, I'll definitely be getting it.

Screenshot_20201213-210820_Samsung Internet.jpg

If this store's listing is legit then I'll pick up the DQ6 in silver, red and blue.

To me, $90 is an acceptable wager for several sets of a multi-DD KZ.

In other news, the Unique Melody 3 dynamic driver in-ear is $399.
20201213_213119.png

20201213_212947.png

20201213_213342.png
It comes with a neat case but I'd probably look to upgrade the cable.

The QDC Magic 3 dynamic driver in-ear is $1,650.
20201213_213916.jpg

20201213_214026.jpg

and the QDC DMagic frequency response is reminiscent of my KZ BA10. I bet it'll sound good.
Both the Unique Melody and the QDC use a compound (back to back) set-up for their 7mm and 8mm drivers, respectively for the lower frequencies and a 10mm driver for the upper. There is little information on the KZ set-up but looking at the DQ6 housing it should be a similarconfiguration. The housing simply looks too compact for the drivers to be separated in an individual layout.

Me, I won't be spending $1,650 or $400 on any one set of earphones but $90 is an acceptable wager for several sets of a multi-DD KZ.

It might be a train wreck but it might just be a revelation.

Regardless, thanks for the link, Shark!

Last edited:
Dec 14, 2020 at 1:08 AM Post #53,125 of 64,232
AWESOME!!

If this store's listing is legit then I'll pick up the DQ6 in silver, red and blue.

To me, $90 is an acceptable wager for a multi-DD KZ.

By the way, the Unique Melody 3 Dynamic is $399
20201213_213119.png
20201213_212947.png
20201213_213342.png

The QDC Magic 3 dynamic driver is $1,650.
20201213_213916.jpg
20201213_214026.jpg

and the QDC DMagic frequency response is reminiscent of my KZ BA10. I bet it'll sound good.

Me, I won't be spending $1,650 or $400 on any one set of earphones but $90 is an acceptable wager for several sets of a multi-DD KZ.

Respect! U are buying 3 of these???!!! I mean it is relatively affordable but why are you getting 3 of the same? Unless u really dig the design or are a true KZ pokemon collector! Well, I think there might be unit variation among identical CHIFI sets, but by and large, they should sound somewhat similar I suppose.

I do buy spares of some gear I like, like the BLONs, Vidos, the Tempotec Sonata HD Pro, some banned piezo set. But I've recently stopped doing that as I realize the costs do add up for identical sets, and sooner or later they may add up to a midfi gear! And the way some of these CHIFI go (especially KZ), a pro version of what you bought can very well come out a few weeks later!

Dec 14, 2020 at 1:18 AM Post #53,126 of 64,232
AWESOME!!

To me, $90 is an acceptable wager for a multi-DD KZ.

By the way, the Unique Melody 3 Dynamic is $399
20201213_213119.png
20201213_212947.png
20201213_213342.png

The QDC Magic 3 dynamic driver is $1,650.
20201213_213916.jpg
20201213_214026.jpg

wow... TWO THUMBS UP...

Dec 14, 2020 at 3:07 AM Post #53,127 of 64,232
Respect! U are buying 3 of these???!!! I mean it is relatively affordable but why are you getting 3 of the same?

I've recently stopped doing that as I realize the costs do add up for identical sets, and sooner or later they may add up to a midfi gear! And the way some of these CHIFI go (especially KZ), a pro version of what you bought can very well come out a few weeks later!

For me, it's the chase. I enjoy chasing down entertaining gear at a more than reasonable price.

I came to the realization that with audio gear there will always be something better released next week. That goes for summit-fi gear as well as entry level gear. That goes for earphones, headphones, DAPs, amplifiers, etc..

Through the years I've learned that it's best to keep my hobby expenses at a manageable level so I can enjoy the hobby without regrets. I have no regrets in owning several of the same exact model from KZ/CCA, BQEYZ, BossHiFi/Blon, SoundMAGIC, Sony and several other brands. I bet the Tin HiFi T2 is a revelation because everybody raves about it. I never picked it up because the consensus was that it was bass-light and it has MMCX issues. I know myself. Everybody might rave about it but I would rarely use it if I had purchased it. The bass in a song should be heard. I get the whole minimizing the bass to facilitate clarity but I know myself well enough to know that the entire time that I'd be listening to the T2 would be like eating cereal without the milk. I could say "hey this is just like trail mix" but really, where's the milk?

By the way, my understanding is that those Tin HiFi MMCX issues were never properly addressed and they plagued the T3 and T4 as well. I did, however, pick up the Tin Audio T1 with its fixed cable and I like it very much. It has the perfect amount of low frequency response and is well suited for a lot of genres.

Once coupled to my DAP an in-ear should hold my attention and keep me connected with the wide variety of music I enjoy. I've got about two dozen in-ears that do that very well.

$5 Sony MH755
$50 KB100
$70 AS12
$70 BA10
$50 KC2
$50 ZS6
$35 Tin T1
$35 Boss HiFi B3
$6 HDS3
$9 ED9
$23 ED16
$27 ZSR
$25 DZAT DF10
$10 ATR
$5 EDR1
and on and on....

and I'm having a blast!

I have three AS12's. Why three?

The AS12 handles classical, jazz, standards, EDM, R&B, synth-pop and singer/songwriter genres very well. This is mostly due to the AS12's versatility and its synergy with my DAP. The BBE function works wonders for bass-forward genres on the AS12 while the slightly forward midrange and upper frequency detail checks practically every box for the remaining genres.

It's not a perfect in-ear but it's perfect for me. It does everything I expect a competent in-ear to do with the slight exception of the BA timbre. But BA timbre issues are not exclusive to KZ in-ears. BA timbre is a common issue for entry level gear as well as summit-fi gear. Incidentally, this is the reason I find the ASF/ASX so interesting. I don't pick up the "BA timbre" issue with it. It's not a perfect in-ear but I like the way it sounds and I think it may be a notable in-ear worth having (like the ZS5 v1 or ZS3) because it may be an important timestamp in the company's progress. I know there are a lot of KZ haters and some of it is justified but for the most part I like the company.

For years I've been reading reviews of mid-fi and summit-fi gear. Whether it's a $200 set or a $2,000 set of in-ears I hear the same key words and phrases (sibilance, congested, recessed, strident, piercing and so on). I'm sure that the $2,000 HiFiMan RE2000 sound better than most of my collection but several reviewers that I have mad respect for (Currawong, B9Scrambler, HiFiChris and a few others) gave the RE2000 4 out of 5 stars and sometimes less (Nymphonomaniac and HiFiChris).

If I pay two grand for a set of in-ears I'd feel the self-induced pressure to use them often due to the investment. Ironically, I've spent approx $2,000 on my current collection and that pressure is nowhere to be found. I just pick up a set that I think I'm in the mood for. I connect them to my DAP and I'm off to enjoy my music. No other concerns. Not a one.

So, why three sets of the DQ6?

I find that, for the most part, some of the best models that KZ has released (ZS5, ZS6, ZSR, probably the ZS1) are tuned properly the first time around. Unfortunately, KZ has a penchant for rearranging the apples in their apple cart when someone snarles "I like red apples, I don't care for KZ's green apples". KZ then grabs a can of spray paint and tries to paint their green apples red. I buy KZ's green apples because I like green apples. When they spray paint them red I want to grab them by the collar and ask them why.

It's a green apple. Just let it be a green apple. Some of us like green apples. Red apples are fine but I'm at their cart to buy green apples.

They can't be all things to all people all of the time. If they want to offer red apples then open a cart that offers red apples but leave the green apples alone. Put down the spray paint.

If I really like the DQ6 I want multiple sets right off the bat and here is why.

I will definitely be ordering at least two sets. That's less than $60. If they issue more than one color I'll probably order more. KZ has a nasty habit of tweaking the sound to address the concerns of some reviewers after a model's initial release (ZS1, ZS3, ZS5, ZS6 and ZSR).

Yes, you read that correctly. The ZSR v1 was a real gem to my ears. So much so that after a few months I ordered all of the other colors. When they arrived I excitedly opened the white ZSR first, hoping to hear exactly what my original ZSR sounds like.

Nope!

All of the new ones sound boomy and slightly muddy.

To anyone with the ZSR:

If your ZSR came with KZ's braided cable then chances are that you have a ZSR v2. The ZSR v1 was only shipped with the rubbery non-braided cable. Some reviewers complained that the upper midrange was too strident on the ZSR and KZ subsequently tweaked the tuning and ruined a great in-ear. My ZSR v1 sounds like an ED16 with a bit more verve and kick. The ZSR v2 sounds dark and veiled with a monotonous one-note base.

They tweaked the ZSR and ruined it.
They tweaked the ZS6 and ruined it.
They tweaked the ZS1 and ruined it.
They tweaked the ZS5 and ruined it.

RUINOUS!

JUST RUINOUS!

Here's to hoping that KZ tunes the DQ6 with a bad*** sound signature.
I'm hoping it has kick-to-the-head bass with equally impressive upper frequencies (like the old skool ED8, which itself was never a perfect in-era but man is that thing fun).

https://www.head-fi.org/threads/knowledge-zenith-kz-impressions-thread.698148/page-362

In the meantime, please KZ, lose the spray paint.

__opt__aboutcom__coeus__resources__content_migration__mnn__images__2015__01__grannysmith-04145...jpg

Last edited:
Dec 14, 2020 at 10:17 AM Post #53,129 of 64,232
I have three AS12's. Why three?

Yes, you have a good point. It's good to understand that there is something better almost every other day and it's not the reason to blame yourself for not having something new even though it might be slightly better. Constant gear updates & consumerism leads to losing nerves. It doesn't matter if it's a PC, audio gear, cameras, lenses or something else.

Dec 14, 2020 at 11:25 AM Post #53,130 of 64,232

That Lord B9 knows what he's talking about with the ZS1 :wink: Still love my Garden Hose QKZ ZN1 Mini berry berry mucho:beerchug: I had the fabled ZN1 (I'm still confused to this day over the ZS1/ZN1 naming's) and worked well for a while but too much to fail on that one which the amp finally did but a neat concept for sure, thinking they should have just stuck with the non-amped version:thinking:

ZN-1.JPG

For me once they dropped the amp and kept the garden hose they had something especially back then in a DD:thumbsup:

KZ ZN1 Mini.jpg

@Alpha Whale the K4 is still my favorite wood iem and a tiny killer to boot :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye: Not to mention who don't love a sweet VJJ:open_mouth:

Wood CMOY.JPG

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back