Knowledge Zenith (KZ) impressions thread
Nov 14, 2020 at 8:14 AM Post #52,531 of 64,168
Been using the ASX for a little while now and it is a disappointment. I had high hopes for what it could have been but it just was not meant to be. My opinions match the reviews on head-fi.

I have used them with the SMSL Idea, Tempotec Sonata HD Pro and Sonata BHD as they are clean sources and have low output impedance. I will update if they drastically change sound signature which I highly doubt. KZ ZAX is the best model so far.

Nov 14, 2020 at 8:38 AM Post #52,535 of 64,168
Zax leak sound like zs6 or are they actually closed?
How is the noise isolation?

No apparent sound leakage that I can perceive. Isolation is average due to the vents.

Nov 14, 2020 at 8:47 AM Post #52,536 of 64,168
Zax leak sound like zs6 or are they actually closed?
How is the noise isolation?
It leaks a bit more than zsx.

Nov 14, 2020 at 9:21 AM Post #52,537 of 64,168
Nov 14, 2020 at 9:24 AM Post #52,538 of 64,168
True but it is still a better product than this plus it's much cheaper and has a better fitment.
Imagine a (let's say purely hypothetical) situation, the KZ product is really great, e.g. ASX for its ~$75$, and then there are reviewers, who are reviewing much more expensive IEMs (especially free samples for their absolutely unbiased opinion, of course). What then these reviewers will be able to say about these other IEMs if KZ (again, purely hypothetically) IEMs are so much better?

This is quite a bit perplexing dilemma, is not it?

Nov 14, 2020 at 9:32 AM Post #52,539 of 64,168
Imagine a (let's say purely hypothetical) situation, the KZ product is really great, e.g. ASX for its ~$75$, and then there are reviewers, who are reviewing much more expensive IEMs (especially free samples for their absolutely unbiased opinion, of course). What then these reviewers will be able to say about these other IEMs if KZ (again, purely hypothetically) IEMs are so much better?

In this case the ZAX which is a cheaper product than the ASX is the better performer in multiple ways. I am unfortunately not a reviewer who gets expensive IEMs and the most expensive one I have is the Audiosense T800 which I bought with my own money.

Nov 14, 2020 at 9:37 AM Post #52,540 of 64,168

I would hope that a reviewer would be honest and say that the KZ is better. For me, I've not thus far found any KZ I could recommend wholeheartedly. Don't get me wrong, I like the ZAX especially but sub $100 is a congested price point and I personally prefer other sets. That my favourite sets by KZ are the Z1 TWS and the EDX (after fitting a TRN cable and Xelastec tips at greater expense than the EDX itself) says much. I'm just a DD kinda guy.

Nov 14, 2020 at 10:02 AM Post #52,541 of 64,168

You have any links for the $70 price for KZ ASX? As of the time of this post, it still seems to be about $100 for most shops on Aliexpress. It is more expensive on other non Aliexpress sites, eg Amazon too, and I have some friends that don't want to buy from Aliexpress for some reasons eg CS/returns doubt or they just don't deliver to some countries eg Aliexpress seems to have issues with delivering to India due to some conflicts. And I assume we are not talking about having price post coupons or flash sale or 11/11 sale prices.

I think u can get it slightly cheaper if u follow some Aliexpress stores for a fan discount, have seen it is at the OPA Audio store for $79 - 81 USD depending on mic vs non mic version. Haven't tried OPA store, so can't vouch for their reliability.
But haven't seen that at $70 before coupons/11/11 sale. Plus as discussed, maybe Aliexpress or even taobao (their local market seller) may be cheaper, but a lot of folks are still gonna be buying their CHIFI from other online platforms due to peace of mind/better CS, so I think on average most folks are still gonna be paying close to $100 for it. Though with the polarizing reviews coming out and the usual mark up of just released CHIFI, I would bet the ASX will drop in price over the next few weeks.

Some Aliexpress shops like to sneakily bundle cheaper gear in their posting for an IEM eg BLON BL-03 is frequently bundled with a cheaper cable to act as a clickbait, but the actual IEM itself is at the usual price. From brief screening, it will look like the BL-03 is $7.54, only when u go in then u realize that was a trick.

Just before 11.11 sales, it was common to see ASX @ €66. I saw a store @62.

2 weeks before sales, Price drop to 85
During sales, coupons stacking down it to 60.

Now, I just take a tour on AE and can see them @60€ on MissAudio...

Screenshot_2020-11-14-15-58-41-997_com.alibaba.aliexpresshd.jpg

Last edited:
Nov 14, 2020 at 10:44 AM Post #52,542 of 64,168
Just before 11.11 sales, it was common to see ASX @ €66. I saw a store @62.

2 weeks before sales, Price drop to 85
During sales, coupons stacking down it to 60.

Now, I just take a tour on AE and can see them @60€ on MissAudio...

Screenshot_2020-11-14-15-58-41-997_com.alibaba.aliexpresshd.jpg
11.11 prices were absolutely not that good in most cases, even after stacking coupons and coins. I was eyeing the Moondrop SSR and I didn't see those below $33 on 11.11, they were $28 two weeks prior. The only unbeatable 11.11 deal I remember was Tin T2 Plus at $34. It's supposed to retail for $60.

Nov 14, 2020 at 10:44 AM Post #52,543 of 64,168
Honestly, only for obsessed curiosity or review, pass this and choose another, it's one the worst iem I had this year.

The old kz as10 is better ( less deep bass, but better signature, and for me They got old comparing to another choice on market

Nov 14, 2020 at 11:12 AM Post #52,545 of 64,168

Users who are viewing this thread

Back