Knowledge Zenith (KZ) impressions thread
Oct 25, 2020 at 7:16 PM Post #51,916 of 63,917
I kind of agree. For lack of a better term, the ASX lacks "musicality". Its like you are mixing a song, you have all these tracks (drums, bass, guitar, vocal, etc) then you adjust the positioning like oh I want guitar a little bit left panning, bass in the middle, another guitar on the right panning, etc. You can hear everything basically, but it lacks the finishing touch that makes a music as a whole.
That sounds like the analytical signature of CCA C16 (not CA16) with less bass energy, merged with AS10's bottom-end. Not for everyone, I guess.

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2020 at 7:50 PM Post #51,917 of 63,917
That sounds like the analytical signature of CCA C16 (not CA16) with less bass energy, merged with AS10's bottom-end. Not for everyone, I guess.
Add to that the shell type just like ZSX (even worse than ZSX imho) so not everyone can have a good fit. .
Comparing the ASX with ZAX, for vocal, I like the ASX better as it has this warmth, but not muddy. The ZAX vocal sounds really thin especially female compared to ASX.
Nothing beat the airiness of ZAX yet tho, at least from my IEM collection.

Listen to minute 3:37 and those snare beat the crap out of my brain with the ASX.

Oct 25, 2020 at 7:55 PM Post #51,918 of 63,917
Add to that the shell type just like ZSX (even worse than ZSX imho) so not everyone can have a good fit. .
Comparing the ASX with ZAX, for vocal, I like the ASX better as it has this warmth, but not muddy. The ZAX vocal sounds really thin especially female compared to ASX.
Nothing beat the airiness of ZAX yet tho, at least from my IEM collection.

Listen to minute 3:37 and those snare beat the crap out of my brain with the ASX.

How is the isolation on the ASX?

Oct 25, 2020 at 8:00 PM Post #51,919 of 63,917
How is the isolation on the ASX?
Slightly better than ZAX. It is vented, but when the music is playing, hardly hear anything from outside tho.
Oh and it can sit deeper than ZAX because of the smaller diameter nozzle.

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2020 at 8:18 PM Post #51,920 of 63,917

That pretty much rules most pop bands before electronic drum era! Is the snare unnaturally thin? Or too boosted? Or both? I think some of the folks here can probably do some filter tuning with that.

Any news on the ASF?

Oct 25, 2020 at 8:27 PM Post #51,921 of 63,917
That pretty much rules most pop bands before electronic drum era! Is the snare unnaturally thin? Or too boosted? Or both? I think some of the folks here can probably do some filter tuning with that.

Any news on the ASF?
Its natural but very up front lol. The ASX has a more "complete" sound dynamically than the ZAX. On the ZAX, the snare sound thin (like metallic tsssst sound) where on the ASX is more full (thuggghhh sound lmao). You can hear the snare drumhead sound better with the ASX.

My ASF is leaving China as of today.

Oct 25, 2020 at 11:03 PM Post #51,924 of 63,917
20201024_190059.jpg20201024_190039.jpg
I am using this foamies that I bought for my Nuarl N6P.
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07RXKF79T/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_i_r5nLFbWTWT5R5?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

Oh and the 4 holes on the face plate, three of them are see through, I don't know if it is open or not.
Have you hook up ASX to better source besides the TRN BT20S pro? What audio files are you listening on ASX? I remembered my TRN BA8 was not suitable for TRN BT20S Pro ( bluetooth)listening, until I switched to wired and a little EQ made it sing well.

Oct 25, 2020 at 11:39 PM Post #51,925 of 63,917
Just received my ASX today. First impression is ...interesting. Build quality is okay not as good as ZAX, closer to CA16 with those noticeable seam on the clear body. Whereas ZAX, ZS10 pro, C12, etc don't have that. The silicone tip is okay, but I like KZ starline tip better and the nozzle is smaller than ZAX. This new silicone tips make the IEM sit deeper inside the ear canal thus making the isolation/fit similar to a custom mold IEM.

On to the sound, now this is the interesting part. The vocal is very middle centric, meaning if you ever heard a 5.1CH surround sound system, the vocal/dialog comes on the center channel speaker, now the ASX is kind of sound like that. Voice is very inside your head like it seriously feels coming from the middle of the brain. This can create a somewhat busy sound because the vocal is really cramped inside the head, even I have to adjust a little bit. It can be overwhelming when first listening to it. Usually, if I put ZSX and ZAX on each side, the sound will be quite similar, it might sound a little bit different like more airy on the ZAX, etc, but when I put the ASX and ZAX together, they sound totally different.

This ASX is very very detailed IEM. I said the ZAX is quite detailed, but ASX is even more detailed. Like I can hear the compression on the snare drum which usually washed out in the mix and all the little nuances too.
Treble is good, but the ZAX is more airy where ASX is more like the ZSX. Vocal has this warmth but not thick, male voice has some weight to it. Definitely warmer than the ZAX. There is a spike in the upper mid where it can exaggerate snare beat sound.
Bass hits hard, deep and fast. I am quite impressed by the bass from this new BA, it rumbles just like a DD, but it is very punchy/clicky too. No bass bleed fortunately. In term of quantity, the ASX sounds bassier than the ZAX.
Sound separation is very good, but they are different than ZAX. Its like vocal has its own space and the instruments just filling in the surrounding space.
This is just my initial listening observation tho so it can changed for the better or worse. For now, this ASX is very very interesting because it is totally different than the ZAX. I am not talking about the curve (I think it is closer to W instead of V), but the sound presentation as a whole is totally different than any other KZ/CCA I've heard so far.

my wallet thanks you... I am very picky about the vocal

Oct 25, 2020 at 11:55 PM Post #51,926 of 63,917
Oct 26, 2020 at 12:07 AM Post #51,927 of 63,917
a2484711074_10.jpg

Making my way through the second instalment of El Ten Eleven's Tautology record this morning on the ZAX. Great record on a great IEM - the tracks feature layered and complex soundscapes driven primarily by bass guitar and synth drums, which the ZAX reproduces with impact, clarity and air. It does make me wonder if I even need another new IEM this coming 11/11. Heresy? I hope not :)

Oct 26, 2020 at 1:29 AM Post #51,928 of 63,917
Have you hook up ASX to better source besides the TRN BT20S pro? What audio files are you listening on ASX? I remembered my TRN BA8 was not suitable for TRN BT20S Pro ( bluetooth)listening, until I switched to wired and a little EQ made it sing well.
Yes I did hook it up to my Fiio E7. I am using a wide varieties of files from Flac, mp3 and youtube.
I actually like the sound presentation from ASX. The more I listen to it, the more I am fascinated by it. It takes some time adjusting because it is very different than my other KZ.
Vocal tho sounds sublime on the ASX, very addicting.

Again with this song, the ASX has a better 3Dness than the ZAX. Is it because it has tubing so the sound kinda separated better?

Oct 26, 2020 at 1:43 AM Post #51,929 of 63,917
a more monitoring sound then.. thanks for the heads up
Yes this ASX is tuned more toward monitoring. I just listened to my old recording from an event and it sounded just the way I mixed it with many flaws lol. Even the nuance from the mic and the room sounded just like that.

Oct 26, 2020 at 10:25 AM Post #51,930 of 63,917
hi everyone, i’m new here. i ordered the ZSX without realizing that the ZAX is more popular amongst you guys, and it’s arriving tomorrow. do you think i should order the ZAX and sell off the ZSX? are they vastly different? or should i get the ASX instead? i listen to a wide variety of genres, but i do enjoy EDM, hip-hop, vocals-heavy songs. i generally prefer mids driven IEMs but i want the bass to be punchy enough and the trebles to be clear without it being piercing at all.

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back