Knowledge Zenith (KZ) impressions thread
Oct 26, 2020 at 10:47 AM Post #51,931 of 63,914
hi everyone, i’m new here. i ordered the ZSX without realizing that the ZAX is more popular amongst you guys, and it’s arriving tomorrow. do you think i should order the ZAX and sell off the ZSX? are they vastly different? or should i get the ASX instead? i listen to a wide variety of genres, but i do enjoy EDM, hip-hop, vocals-heavy songs. i generally prefer mids driven IEMs but i want the bass to be punchy enough and the trebles to be clear without it being piercing at all.
Hi, Welcome :)

It's nice to have a few different IEM's to swap around during the day, night, weekend, inside and outside - as with anything playing with one sound or device in your ears in long stretches it's nice to be able to swap between them.

You picked a great IEM, and with KZ they have a lot of "older" models that are still just as valid today as when they came out.

The ZSX is a very fun sound and in comparison - after burn-in - the ZSX is just as fun to listen with as the ZAX. The main difference is going to be size. For me the ZSX is comfortable right away, as is the ZAX, and the sound was exciting when new as well. Over time the ZSX really improved, while the ZAX is supposed to be constant - I have only spent about 40 hours on the ZAX and it sounds the same - both were very comfortable and well behaved out of the box for me.

I wouldn't worry about getting rid of the ZSX, I'd enjoy it - get used to an IEM in your ears - and use it to test different "eartips" to get the best "seal" and sound. It took me months and a dozen different sizes, brands, and models to get the right fit and material for long hours of comfortable wear. The KZ tips - "star-tips" named due to the lines in the exit that makes it look like a star face on - are fine for use to start and most people are happy using those only.

For me the Large was too large and the Medium not quite big enough, so I needed a MediumLarge size, and I ended up with the AZLA SednaEarfit series sized in ML. Spinfits wouldn't work for me as well as a range of others suggested - which might work for you.

Foams were ok for a while for me, but after I found the AZLA series I haven't replaced foams that wear out.

Then there's cables. The older brown KZ cables sound fine, but are a bit "janky", don't lay flat for me and get in the way - tangle - more often, but in the end they all tangle :)

Copper cables as provided have better Bass but rolled of treble, Silver plated copper is an improvement, and Pure Silver 99.99% makes the ZAX sound amazing to me, but I haven't had that cable long enough to have pulled out the ZSX to see how it plays. The BQYZ Spring 2's don't sound good on the Pure silver cable, so it doesn't work for everything - the treble is way too "zippy".

Probably more than you thought you needed to hear, but I wanted to let you know there is a breath to the whole IEM enjoyment greater than picking "one" IEM that solves all your listening desires. :)

On 11.11 there are sales on many Chinese sites, like Aliexpress and Hifigo (also on AliExpress), perhaps you can get a ZAX, tips and cables at a nice discount - then there's the Black Friday and Cyber Monday sales too - not much time to pick your targets for purchase and build a favorites list of sites for potential sales.

I hope you enjoy the ZSX and ZAX, I sure do - and if you keep both you can swap new cables and tips between them to compare how they respond. :)

I don't have the KZ ASX yet myself, I am looking forward to it - KZ keeps improving their tuning technique and I am looking forward to how that 10BA + 10BA compares in smoothness to the KZ AS16 8BA + 8BA I have - it's "giant", and sounds amazing -- given how small the ZAX 1DD+7BA is compared to the ZSX 1DD+5BA I'd imagine the ASX's 20BA's will be about the same "large" size as the AS16's 16BA's - amazing tech for only $99 :)

Last edited:
Oct 26, 2020 at 10:55 AM Post #51,932 of 63,914
Yes I did hook it up to my Fiio E7. I am using a wide varieties of files from Flac, mp3 and youtube.
I actually like the sound presentation from ASX. The more I listen to it, the more I am fascinated by it. It takes some time adjusting because it is very different than my other KZ.
Vocal tho sounds sublime on the ASX, very addicting.

Again with this song, the ASX has a better 3Dness than the ZAX. Is it because it has tubing so the sound kinda separated better?

Oh interesting!

I will order it and I will compare with TRN BA8!

Oct 26, 2020 at 10:59 AM Post #51,933 of 63,914
The KZ tips - "star-tips" named due to the lines in the exit that makes it look like a star face on - are fine for use to start and most people are happy using those only.

For me the Large was too large and the medium not quite big enough, so I needed a MediumLarge size, and I ended up with the AZLA SednaFit series sized in ML. Spinfits wouldn't work for me as well as a range of others suggested - which might work for you.

Foams were ok for a while for me, but after I found the AZLA series I haven't replaced foams that wear out.

If you turn a M Starline into a FlipTip, it will be ML size. Since you already own them, it won’t cost you anything.

Oct 26, 2020 at 11:19 AM Post #51,935 of 63,914
Hi, Welcome :)

It's nice to have a few different IEM's to swap around during the day, night, weekend, inside and outside - as with anything playing with one sound or device in your ears in long stretches it's nice to be able to swap between them.

You picked a great IEM, and with KZ they have a lot of "older" models that are still just as valid today as when they came out.

The ZSX is a very fun sound and in comparison - after burn-in - the ZSX is just as fun to listen with as the ZAX. The main difference is going to be size. For me the ZSX is comfortable right away, as is the ZAX, and the sound was exciting when new as well. Over time the ZSX really improved, while the ZAX is supposed to be constant - I have only spent about 40 hours on the ZAX and it sounds the same - both were very comfortable and well behaved out of the box for me.

I wouldn't worry about getting rid of the ZSX, I'd enjoy it - get used to an IEM in your ears - and use it to test different "eartips" to get the best "seal" and sound. It took me months and a dozen different sizes, brands, and models to get the right fit and material for long hours of comfortable wear. The KZ tips - "star-tips" named due to the lines in the exit that makes it look like a star face on - are fine for use to start and most people are happy using those only.

For me the Large was too large and the medium not quite big enough, so I needed a MediumLarge size, and I ended up with the AZLA SednaFit series sized in ML. Spinfits wouldn't work for me as well as a range of others suggested - which might work for you.

Then there's cables. The older brown KZ cables sound fine, but are a bit "janky", don't lay flat for me and get in the way - tangle - more often, but in the end they all tangle :)

Copper cables as provided have better Bass but rolled of treble, Silver plated copper is an improvement, and Pure Silver 99.99% makes the ZAX sound amazing to me, but I haven't had that cable long enough to have pulled out the ZSX to see how it plays. The BQYZ Spring 2's don't sound good on the Pure silver cable, so it doesn't work for everything - the treble is way too "zippy".

Probably more than you thought you needed to hear, but I wanted to let you know there is a breath to the whole IEM enjoyment greater than picking "one" IEM that solves all your listening desires. :)

On 11.11 there are sales on many Chinese sites, like Aliexpress and Hifigo (also on AliExpress), perhaps you can get a ZAX, tips and cables at a nice discount - then there's the Black Friday and Cyber Monday sales too - not much time to pick your targets for purchase and build a favorites list of sites for potential sales.

I hope you enjoy the ZSX and ZAX, I sure do - and if you keep both you can swap new cables and tips between them to compare how they respond. :)

I don't have the KZ ASX yet myself, I am looking forward to it - KZ keeps improving their tuning technique and I am looking forward to how that 10BA + 10BA compares in smoothness to the KZ AS16 8BA + 8BA I have - it's "giant", and sounds amazing -- given how small the ZAX is compared to the ZSX with the same 1DD+5BA I'd imagine the ASX's 20BA's will be about the same "large" size as the AS16's 16BA's is. Amazing tech for only $99 :)

thank you so much for the very detailed response! i really appreciate it. :) i’ve been using westone for years, since 2012 (i currently have the AM pro 30) and a couple of weeks ago, one of my friends told me that he had been using ZST and he liked them more than his 900 dollar IEMs. i was really skeptical and decided to do more research and found out that chi-fi has come a long way. the first and only KZs i’ve tried was the KS6. i didn’t like it that much because the trebles were too harsh for my liking.

anyway, i decided to get the ZST X instead after doing some research and i was pretty impressed (bc they sounded great for its price point) and got a pair for my “non-audiophile” boyfriend as well, who likes them a lot. i ended up in this rabbit hole and went ahead and ordered the ZSX from aliexpress since shipping is not THAT slow to california. i’m really tempted to get the ZAX too (since many of you guys love it) but if they’re pretty similar to the ZSX, i don’t know if i should spend the extra money getting it too.

Oct 26, 2020 at 11:28 AM Post #51,936 of 63,914
thank you so much for the very detailed response! i really appreciate it. :) i’ve been using westone for years, since 2012 (i currently have the AM pro 30) and a couple of weeks ago, one of my friends told me that he had been using ZST and he liked them more than his 900 dollar IEMs. i was really skeptical and decided to do more research and found out that chi-fi has come a long way. the first and only KZs i’ve tried was the KS6. i didn’t like it that much because the trebles were too harsh for my liking.

anyway, i decided to get the ZST X instead after doing some research and i was pretty impressed (bc they sounded great for its price point) and got a pair for my “non-audiophile” boyfriend as well, who likes them a lot. i ended up in this rabbit hole and went ahead and ordered the ZSX from aliexpress since shipping is not THAT slow to california. i’m really tempted to get the ZAX too (since many of you guys love it) but if they’re pretty similar to the ZSX, i don’t know if i should spend the extra money getting it too.
Yup, Chifi has become quite refined, the ZAX for me was smooth and pleasant right out of the box, I thought my review copy had been broken in by someone else already - but it was new and unused, fresh out of the box the ZAX was ready to go on long listening sessions.

Well, the ZSX had a break-in time for me before it was "tamed", while the ZAX comes out of the box sounding to me already broken in... so if you are put off by the initial "zippy sharp" treble of the KS6, the ZSX might also seem a bit similar initially. For that reason I'd recommend getting the ZAX too and that way you can immediately start listening to the ZAX while the ZSX is breaking in.

Break-in can be done without listening to it yourself - set up a player to play 24/7 - stuff the IEM's in a pillow - so the sound doesn't bother, and burn the hours - say 60 hours total, but check at 10, 20, 30, 40, 50 hours to see when it's tamed enough for your ears to run it the rest of the way live while you are listening.

For me the ZSX treble fresh out of the box wasn't too offensive - I broke them in while listening to them, so perhaps it will be the same for you too. Some people have more sensitive ears for certain frequencies so some off-line break-in is helpful - and some IEM's seem to need break-in for everyone - like the TinHifi P1's / Blon BL-05's come to mind.

Please let us know how your new KZ IEM's work out for you :)

Last edited:
Oct 26, 2020 at 11:32 AM Post #51,937 of 63,914
Well, the ZSX had a break-in time for me before it was "tamed", while the ZAX comes out of the box sounding to me already broken in... so if you are put off by the initial "zippy sharp" treble of the KS6, the ZSX might also seem a bit similar initially. For that reason I'd recommend getting the ZAX too and that way you can immediately start listening to the ZAX while the ZSX is breaking in.

Break-in can be done without listening to it yourself - set up a player to play 24/7 - stuff the IEM's in a pillow - so the sound doesn't bother, and burn the hours - say 60 hours total, but check at 10, 20, 30, 40, 50 hours to see when it's tamed enough for your ears to run it the rest of the way live while you are listening.

For me the ZSX treble fresh out of the box wasn't too offensive - I broke them in while listening to them, so perhaps it will be the same for you too. Some people have more sensitive ears for certain frequencies so some off-line break-in is helpful - and some IEM's need break-in for everyone - like the TinHifi P1's / Blon BL-05's come to mind.

Please let us know how your new KZ IEM's work out for you :)

thanks for the tip! i’ll definitely do that once mine arrives. how does a pair of ZSX that’s been broken in compare to the ZAX?

Oct 26, 2020 at 11:39 AM Post #51,938 of 63,914
thanks for the tip! i’ll definitely do that once mine arrives. how does a pair of ZSX that’s been broken in compare to the ZAX?
KZ's have a sound that can be similar across models - but some are more special than others in their tuning and merging of components that really stands out. For me both the ZSX and ZAX are those special models - for me I noticed the ZAX has more Bass and smoother transitions between the BA's than the ZSX out of the box.

KZ spent 16 months tuning the ZSX, but they haven't said yet - that I've seen - how long it took to get the ZAX so smooth merging the BA's, such a wide soundstage, or how they got more Bass out of the same sized 10mm DD.

As I recall I was very happy with the ZSX 10 hours in to use, so perhaps you will be too and you won't want to do the independent break-in for the ZSX either. :)

Last edited:
Oct 26, 2020 at 11:48 AM Post #51,939 of 63,914
KZ's have a sound that can be similar across models - but some are more special than others in their tuning and merging of components that really stands out. For me both the ZSX and ZAX are those special models - for me I noticed the ZAX has more Bass and smoother transitions between the BA's than the ZSX out of the box.

KZ spent 16 months tuning the ZSX, but they haven't said yet - that I've seen - how long it took to get the ZAX so smooth merging the BA's or how they got more Bass out of the same sized 10mm DD.

As I recall I was very happy with the ZSX 10 hours in to use, so perhaps you will be too and you won't want to do the independent break-in for the ZSX either. :)

i may very well get the ZAX as well if i get to score some good deals for 11.11! i really look forward to getting my ZSX. i’ve been thinking about the ASX a lot but i’m hoping to read more reviews before deciding haha

Oct 26, 2020 at 2:07 PM Post #51,940 of 63,914
i may very well get the ZAX as well if i get to score some good deals for 11.11! i really look forward to getting my ZSX. i’ve been thinking about the ASX a lot but i’m hoping to read more reviews before deciding haha
The only negative thing with zsx is the body style. Some people won't fit quite well with the zsx whereas the zax body style doesn't have this problem. Otherwise, they both good.

Oct 26, 2020 at 2:45 PM Post #51,941 of 63,914
The only negative thing with zsx is the body style. Some people won't fit quite well with the zsx whereas the zax body style doesn't have this problem. Otherwise, they both good.

i guess i’ll have to find out for myself once they get here haha. would you say they sound similar?

also, i saw that you’ve gotten your ASX. would you recommend it to non musicians who are not planning to use them for monitoring?

Oct 26, 2020 at 6:06 PM Post #51,942 of 63,914
i guess i’ll have to find out for myself once they get here haha. would you say they sound similar?

also, i saw that you’ve gotten your ASX. would you recommend it to non musicians who are not planning to use them for monitoring?
They both still share the same KZ sound signature. If you can try both and can easily return whichever you like less then I suggest you do.
Now, the ASX is quite an interesting IEM imho. In some songs, it sound absolutely amazing and in some songs it sounds like something is wrong lol. I am guessing it is to do with the mastering of the song, but I am not sure either. I am not saying they sounded bad when playing youtube or low bitrate file, but it is just how they present the music like the instrumental placement, etc can be quite different from the ZAX or other IEMs.

Oct 26, 2020 at 6:39 PM Post #51,943 of 63,914
I really enjoy my ZSX's. Took a bit of burn in time and new cables but they sound terrific. I am partial to my Periodic Audio sets but when I want something I can put in and leave without a care the ZSX work wonders and for $40 how can you be unhappy?

Oct 26, 2020 at 9:22 PM Post #51,944 of 63,914

Holy molly... now this is crazy. I compared this song using the ZAX and ASX.
With the ZAX, you get a pretty nice openness, separation and all, but its mostly 2 dimensionals. Doug's voice is moving in and out, left and right, forward and back, but in the ZAX its only moving left and right.
Now with the ASX, damn... I can feel I am in the room and when his voice move, it move in 3D like inside the head. It is freaking unbelievable.

Another favorite song for my IEM testing. On the ASX, I can hear clearly the timpani drum skin vibrated on the right side, whereas the ZAX just mostly sound bum bum bum. Also there is a sk sk sk sk sound (maracas?) on the right side where in the ASX it sounds natural and not bright while on the ZAX it is very thin and bright.

Oct 26, 2020 at 9:36 PM Post #51,945 of 63,914
Just checked aliexpress and the AS16 are less than $70 in a few places, should be around $60 during the next sale if you get your coupons right. Worth a look maybe? Probably not for me, got too many similar ones already (C16, CA16, ZAX) but a heads up for anyone looking.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back