Knowledge Zenith (KZ) impressions thread
Apr 15, 2020 at 6:38 AM Post #49,760 of 63,906
For casual running, i find it okay. The seal is not the tightest for my ears, but that also means that I don't hear as much thumping in my ears compared to something like the Haylou GT1 Plus. I normally just do like 30mins and occasionally 1hour session, and I do feel it loosen a little sometimes, but not enough to feel like it will drop out. So it's still usable for me. Sound wise, depends on what you like to listen to. It has a good quantity of bass, and enough treble to keep things fun. But normally i have it at a slightly higher volume while running, and in those cases, the mids can sound a little behind the mix, which is what I like to hear from my music most of the time. But the bright side is that if the treble isn't too intense for you (i use poweramp to EQ a little), it's able to get really loud, so you can just pump up the volume if you want to.

For like SERIOUS running like a marathon, if you can run a full marathon below 3.5 hours, then this is probably fine? since that's how long the battery typically lasts. haha. Another thing is that while they say it is IPX5... the vent at the top of the earbuds are big. Like i can peer in and see the LED lights that is supposed to be near the bottom of the shell. So... yeah.. :joy: probably not my top choice for sports.

ioqKSkT.png

Many thanks for your detailed reply. Actually my brother in law is the runner and I was thinking to buy one for him as a gift.
Anyone compared the S2 and Fiio LC-BT2 neckband for running?

Apr 15, 2020 at 7:03 AM Post #49,761 of 63,906
Many thanks for your detailed reply. Actually my brother in law is the runner and I was thinking to buy one for him as a gift.
Anyone compared the S2 and Fiio LC-BT2 neckband for running?

No problem at all. I've not used the Fiio LC-BT2, but I do have the KZ aptx HD cable, and used to use neckbuds like the Jaybird X2 for jogging. For my personal taste, I really dislike how those feel while running since I sweat a lot + Singapore's weather is humid AF. when the band is around my neck, it makes it hard to turn my head and check my blindspots when I'm trying to overtake someone in the park, or checking traffic. Maybe the more solid neckband might make it better. Another thing is durability. For me those neckbuds typically last me like a couple of months before being damaged by sweat (normally at the controls area) despite being touted as "sweat-proof". Maybe it's just me and I have a secret super power of extra corrosive sweat, but I got tired of getting them replaced all the time. For me TWS earbuds absolutely made me enjoy my jog more.

Sound wise, the Fiio LC-BT2 which is around S$69.00 is already more expensive than the KZ S2. But it gives the potential of pairing it with something that sounds nicer of course. With my KZ bluetooth cable I could use it with the ZSX, or after I modded the cable a bit, I could even use the Blon BL-03 with it. But then it probably wouldn't be as water resistant, and it'll still be a lot more expensive. I think it would be good if you could get a sense of what type he prefers. Another thing to consider is that some runners like to have some situational awareness too while jogging, so they might not like the in-ear type which blocks out too much noise. But if he has no preference, I do think TWS is the way to go.

Apr 15, 2020 at 9:04 AM Post #49,762 of 63,906
No problem at all. I've not used the Fiio LC-BT2, but I do have the KZ aptx HD cable, and used to use neckbuds like the Jaybird X2 for jogging. For my personal taste, I really dislike how those feel while running since I sweat a lot + Singapore's weather is humid AF. when the band is around my neck, it makes it hard to turn my head and check my blindspots when I'm trying to overtake someone in the park, or checking traffic. Maybe the more solid neckband might make it better. Another thing is durability. For me those neckbuds typically last me like a couple of months before being damaged by sweat (normally at the controls area) despite being touted as "sweat-proof". Maybe it's just me and I have a secret super power of extra corrosive sweat, but I got tired of getting them replaced all the time. For me TWS earbuds absolutely made me enjoy my jog more.

Sound wise, the Fiio LC-BT2 which is around S$69.00 is already more expensive than the KZ S2. But it gives the potential of pairing it with something that sounds nicer of course. With my KZ bluetooth cable I could use it with the ZSX, or after I modded the cable a bit, I could even use the Blon BL-03 with it. But then it probably wouldn't be as water resistant, and it'll still be a lot more expensive. I think it would be good if you could get a sense of what type he prefers. Another thing to consider is that some runners like to have some situational awareness too while jogging, so they might not like the in-ear type which blocks out too much noise. But if he has no preference, I do think TWS is the way to go.

Thanks again :v: Your sweat can be used as a secret weapon later :sweat_smile:
You are quite right these neckbands could be felt after some times like a yoke...

Apr 15, 2020 at 9:13 AM Post #49,763 of 63,906
No problem at all. I've not used the Fiio LC-BT2, but I do have the KZ aptx HD cable, and used to use neckbuds like the Jaybird X2 for jogging. For my personal taste, I really dislike how those feel while running since I sweat a lot + Singapore's weather is humid AF.

To be clear you didn't like the KZ AptX HD or the Jaybird?

What were your overall opinions of the KZ AptX HD? I've got them coming in the mail, really needed something I could take to the gym and use for calls.

Apr 15, 2020 at 3:00 PM Post #49,764 of 63,906
To be clear you didn't like the KZ AptX HD or the Jaybird?

What were your overall opinions of the KZ AptX HD? I've got them coming in the mail, really needed something I could take to the gym and use for calls.

In general i just didn't like the way the cable goes around the neck, and that's the same for both. I don't really use the KZ cable much at all, but whenever i do, I kinda like being able to enjoy better sounding IEMs somewhat wirelessly. I find it decent in terms of sound quality. Some have complained about some noise when there is silence is a track, but i'm not particularly sensitive to that since I probably have a bit of tinnitus.

I've not tried using it for calls though, but I find them a bit finicky in terms of how the cable hangs. It's a little too long for my liking, and too fiddly. The pre-formed ear-hooks are formed in a way that doesn't quite fit my ears too, so over time they kinda feel like they keep trying to pull the IEMs out of my ears. But because they're cheap, and I don't really use them much in the first place, I ended up experimenting and modding it a little. I used a lighter to heat up and reshape the ear hooks so they fit my ears better, and used a tiny bit of heat shrink tubing (something like electrical tape would probably be easier) to sort of shorten the cable a little and make it move around a bit less.

zQEiehR.jpg

Apr 15, 2020 at 3:15 PM Post #49,765 of 63,906
Hi All! I have age related high frequency hearing loss. I have the ZSR. The boosted high end helps. How do the other models compare? Is anything in their line brighter?

ZSR is a big old one from the times of the ZS6
ZSN is brighter than ZSR, if you need more resolution & level in the highs and overall, try AS10 (all BA)

Apr 15, 2020 at 4:39 PM Post #49,766 of 63,906

Wow, looks nice. I love the colored accents on the face plates.

I also like the look of the special Royal Blue version of the ZSN Pro and the Royal Blue ZS10 Pro.

13D44B70-E534-4B56-BD99-9CCEAB33BBD1.jpeg
D39412EA-7AAA-48CF-B9A5-C930B992ADD2.jpeg

I think it’s cool that KZ comes out with special color versions, for those that want that extra little touch of personalization.

To this day I regret not getting one of the special edition colors of the ZST. Those were uber rare, and there are a few lucky HeadFiers who own not only 1 but even multiple versions!

F391D348-37CD-459A-B504-2A80B2E6E406.jpeg
040F032E-DA07-4E2D-9CD2-6031DCEE908A.jpeg
91FB4AFA-FC06-4741-936B-A7FC0AB6EC65.jpeg
E7C25996-084B-4859-9412-BA6132917FE5.jpeg

You and me both brother! To the gentleman with the high end hearing loss the ZST is another model many complained of extra high frequency as a consideration:thinking: Just ordered two more pairs of ZSX because after all this time in this hobby the ZSX has become for me in portable speakers what the Vandersteen 2C is to home speakers (possibly the best bargain in iem's today but remember that's just one moron's opinion):rolling_eyes:. I know it was said that the Terminators may be the end of the hybrid road for KZ and I'm inclined to believe that is a true statement and at this point in the hobby and what I've spent on iem's alone I could easily own 300 pairs of ZSX's:scream: LOL

Sexy N They Know It.JPG

Apr 15, 2020 at 5:09 PM Post #49,767 of 63,906
You and me both brother! To the gentleman with the high end hearing loss the ZST is another model many complained of extra high frequency as a consideration:thinking: Just ordered two more pairs of ZSX because after all this time in this hobby the ZSX has become for me in portable speakers what the Vandersteen 2C is to home speakers (possibly the best bargain in iem's today but remember that's just one moron's opinion):rolling_eyes:. I know it was said that the Terminators may be the end of the hybrid road for KZ and I'm inclined to believe that is a true statement and at this point in the hobby and what I've spent on iem's alone I could easily own 300 pairs of ZSX's:scream: LOL

Sexy N They Know It.JPG
You can always get CCA C12 for the diversity, especially if you appreciate (just a touch more) treble :)

How does ZSX compare to ZS7?
(ZS7 is the only one I am currently missing for the last two years of KZ & CCA) :wink:

Apr 15, 2020 at 8:32 PM Post #49,768 of 63,906

What cable is that? I'm looking for an upgrade for my ZSX.

Apr 15, 2020 at 8:55 PM Post #49,769 of 63,906

Sexy N They Know It.JPG
I feel the same about the ZS10 PRO, yet all the great things that are being said about the ZSX are making me want to order a set to try for myself. Nice pic of your set, btw. What cable are you using on it because it looks killer. Nicehck perhaps??

Apr 15, 2020 at 10:39 PM Post #49,770 of 63,906
You can always get CCA C12 for the diversity, especially if you appreciate (just a touch more) treble :)

How does ZSX compare to ZS7?
(ZS7 is the only one I am currently missing for the last two years of KZ & CCA) :wink:
I love the ZS7. I personally prefer it to the ZSX, though they are both excellent and in my top 5 KZ: (BA10, ZS7, ZSX, ED9, ZSN Pro). Edit: ZS10 Pro, not ZSN. Sorry!

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back