Knowledge Zenith (KZ) impressions thread
Apr 15, 2020 at 11:33 PM Post #49,771 of 63,907
What cable is that? I'm looking for an upgrade for my ZSX.

THX @courierdriver , KB Ear 16 core KZ QDC on the matching gray cable. I have the same cable on my ZS7 but obviously with KZ 2 pin. :beerchug: Wait I lied, ZS7's have the silver gray TRN 16 core but my TFZ Queens and Secret Gardens have the KB EAR TFZ 16 cores!

Last edited:
Apr 15, 2020 at 11:49 PM Post #49,772 of 63,907
Can anyone please compare KZ ZSX and CCA C12 to the ZS7?

The ZS7 is my favorite KZ from the first time I heard it.

I’d love to know how it compares to the ZSX and C12. I don’t care about driver count, fit, accessories, etc. I’m talking from the standpoint of sound signature only.

Apr 16, 2020 at 12:20 AM Post #49,773 of 63,907

I’d love to know how it compares to the ZSX and C12. I don’t care about driver count, fit, accessories, etc. I’m talking from the standpoint of sound signature only.
Yeah, I second that. Don't have the ZS7, but luvin my ZS10 PRO. Even with all the other newer stuff and brands coming out, I still wanna try some of the newer offerings from KZ and CCA. I'm torn between the ZSX and the C12. It's tough because I listen to so many different genres of music. Right now, I'm listening to Blues...Walter Trout, specifically. Last night, I was jammin Black Keys and Nethanial Rateliff and the Night Sweats. Night before, it was Rap and Hip Hop. I'm all over the spectrum. My ZS10 PRO works with it all. No, it ain't perfect with all these genres, but it doesn't let me down or suck with anything I listen to. Lots of more expensive sets only cater to one or 2 genres, and fall short on the other stuff. Kz works great with alot of music. I've got Urbanfun ISSO14 on the way, as well as a kilobuck iem from Fearless audio (Lancelot). Curious to see how either of them stack up to my current favorite KZ.

Apr 16, 2020 at 12:59 AM Post #49,775 of 63,907

Well Greg, never bought any of the CCA's as I've considered them the sheep's clothing versions of KZ and I also don't care for there look (Shallow Hal again)! For my old ears the ZSX gives just a little more of everything over my ZS7 and as you know I loved the ZS6 (Had all 4 colors) but honestly the changes on the ZS series were minimal for me with exception of the ZS5 v2 which for me was a step back from the v1. The ZS6 was the real upgrade to the ZS5 v1 and the ZS7 was just a little better around the edges than the ZS6 and along comes the ZSX Terminator and as mentioned it just offers a little more push than the ZS7's. I will say you guys finally got to me on the ZS10 Pro and I've ordered a pair but I'm thinking it may be somewhere in between the ZS7 and ZSX probably closer to the latter. I've been a KZ fan since the single DD's Rings and ED9's all the way thru these hybrids and in my honest opinion the ZSX is their finest effort and as you mention really good with all kinds of music. They really shine with good power and a high end DAP. I personally think everyone should own a pair but I guess it really just depends on what you prefer SS wise but for me they cover all the bases well and are my fave sub $50 iem. Got mine on right now listening to Bon Iver mix coming off my laptop thru the original Shanling up and they are just easy to listen too.

Here's a little ZS7th Heaven though, iPhone 4, Blue Bird U3 Mini and 7's with TRN 16 core, still like my 7's but for me the ZSX just edges them out :wink:

ZS7th Heaven.JPG

Last edited:
Apr 16, 2020 at 5:02 AM Post #49,776 of 63,907
Zsx vs as16?
A good comparison to ask.

Both are the top of their line KZ models: ZSX of a hybrid line, AS16 for all-BAs.

At the same time, different tuning philosophies/approaches: ZSX is tuned to cater to more common preferences, while the elevated upper mids and treble of AS16 is more of an acquired taste.

I do enjoy both. For not that treble-rich music, I use AS16; while for the recordings with more treble - ZSX, as well as CCA C16 for their rich mids.

A good milder leaner version (and a predecessor) of AS16 is BA10 with its beautiful shell and a brick-like fit :)

Yes, and ZSX, being smaller, fit much easier than AS16, while no problems for me with fit for both.

Apr 16, 2020 at 4:08 PM Post #49,777 of 63,907

Slater, I hope this gives you an idea...:grin:

Brightest (upper MID's and highs):
1) C12
2) ZS7
3) ZSX

Smoothest (overall range):
1) ZSX
2) ZS7
3) C12

Deepest (sub-bass and lower rumble):
1) ZSX
2) ZS7
3) C12

Timbre (overall natural sounding):
1) ZSX
2) ZS7
3) C12

Technicality (most noticeable details, less smoothness)
1) C12
2) ZS7
3) ZSX

Comfort (according to my personal experience)
1) C12
2) ZS7
3) ZSX

-Clear :thumbsup:

Apr 16, 2020 at 4:49 PM Post #49,778 of 63,907

1) C12
2) ZS7
3) ZSX

1) ZSX
2) ZS7
3) C12

1) ZSX
2) ZS7
3) C12

1) ZSX
2) ZS7
3) C12

1) C12
2) ZS7
3) ZSX

1) C12
2) ZS7
3) ZSX

Very helpful Clear! Thanks a ton.

It seems like the ZS7 is kind of a melding together of ZSX and C12. It’s the middle choice in every category you listed.

If sounds like I should just stick with the ZS7 since I’m so happy with it.

Apr 16, 2020 at 9:47 PM Post #49,779 of 63,907
In that comparison, The ZSX appeals to me.
Eventually I may have to pick one up.
:THUMBS-UP:

Apr 16, 2020 at 9:59 PM Post #49,780 of 63,907

1) C12
2) ZS7
3) ZSX

1) ZSX
2) ZS7
3) C12

1) ZSX
2) ZS7
3) C12

1) ZSX
2) ZS7
3) C12

1) C12
2) ZS7
3) ZSX

1) C12
2) ZS7
3) ZSX

Spot on Clear and I have no fit issues with my ZS7 or ZSX so I;m sure if I were interested in the C12 it would fit as well but I have 12 BA's in my YY HQ-12's not to mention I actually prefer my BA10 to my HQ-12's (Sorry Peter) :fearful: I just ordered ZS10 Pro's, the black and red BA10's and two backup ZSX's cause I hope to never go with a ZSX!

Apr 17, 2020 at 12:08 AM Post #49,781 of 63,907
Jeez, you guys! None of you are making it any easier for a KZ upgrade path. Right now, I'm listening to Tool (Fear Innoculum album) on my ZS10 PRO and I'm having a hard time imagining anything better. It's the same thing every time I listen to this set, no matter what kinda music or genres I'm spinning. I think I may have to buy ZS7, ZSX and CCA C12 to add to my collection. Only concern is shell size and comfort. ZS7 scares me because of the shell size.

Apr 17, 2020 at 1:10 AM Post #49,782 of 63,907
For me, I prefer the ZSX over C12. The C12 has this peak on the upper mid that while pushing the vocal a bit more forward, but it really bothering me after awhile. The ZSX was pretty sibilant when I first got it, but after burn in, it is no longer sibilance.

Apr 17, 2020 at 10:09 AM Post #49,784 of 63,907
Jeez, you guys! None of you are making it any easier for a KZ upgrade path. Right now, I'm listening to Tool (Fear Innoculum album) on my ZS10 PRO and I'm having a hard time imagining anything better. It's the same thing every time I listen to this set, no matter what kinda music or genres I'm spinning. I think I may have to buy ZS7, ZSX and CCA C12 to add to my collection. Only concern is shell size and comfort. ZS7 scares me because of the shell size.
ZS7 shell size is fine. ZSX is much larger. CCA C12 is the most comfortable of the three for me but of course YMMV. If it wasn't for comfort being a concern I would recommend the BA10 which is my favourite KZ.

Apr 17, 2020 at 10:22 AM Post #49,785 of 63,907
I want to be a sub-150 iem. You guys prefer KZ ZSX or the ie 40 pro ?
Of all the things i've wanted to be. I've never thought of being an iem. :L3000:

Just kidding, i have the zs7 and can vouch for that with swapped cables and spinfits! (Dont have the others though)

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back