Knowledge Zenith (KZ) impressions thread
Dec 14, 2019 at 4:28 PM Post #49,111 of 63,917
Hi All,
I have done the total mode and removed BA tweeters completely !
It's the best thing I've ever done with headphones. Sound isn't V-shaped anymore, but neutral, with surprisingly great/smooth/laidback extension to the top end. I really do not understand why the heights are so well tuned now, It's an audiophile dream. Bass and mids aren't affected.
That 30095 BA thing is there for nothing (or for trebleheads :))

(If anyone is interested in trying this, I'll write a some tips how to remove it)

I have the CCA C12 which could benefit from the same thing. Easy to do?

Dec 14, 2019 at 4:34 PM Post #49,112 of 63,917
Hi All,
I have done the total mode and removed BA tweeters completely !
It's the best thing I've ever done with headphones. Sound isn't V-shaped anymore, but neutral, with surprisingly great/smooth/laidback extension to the top end. I really do not understand why the heights are so well tuned now, It's an audiophile dream. Bass and mids aren't affected.
That 30095 BA thing is there for nothing (or for trebleheads :))

(If anyone is interested in trying this, I'll write a some tips how to remove it)

Tastes differ a lot, I guess.
Just recently I removed a treble filter of AS12 and so happily listened to all the sparkles, no more striangulated brass, quite similar to C12 and A10 (no filters, I double checked)

Dec 14, 2019 at 7:23 PM Post #49,114 of 63,917
Thanks for the reply, I listen to lots of rock, hip hop, and EDM so the bass impact would be preferred and it looks like the ZSX is the successor as well as community favorite here.

Zsx is the latest offer from KZ and they are better in most section but thay have more balanced presentation.
If you are looking for a bass slam, ZSX will do good but just good enough.
You may want to consider TRN V90 for punchier bass and rattles to your inner head. They are on same level abilities with ZSX and same price too, only different in presentation with more v shaped, slamming bass and more boosted highs than ZSX, but ZSX have more forwarded mids.

Dec 14, 2019 at 7:43 PM Post #49,115 of 63,917
Zsx is the latest offer from KZ and they are better in most section but thay have more balanced presentation.
If you are looking for a bass slam, ZSX will do good but just good enough.
You may want to consider TRN V90 for punchier bass and rattles to your inner head. They are on same level abilities with ZSX and same price too, only different in presentation with more v shaped, slamming bass and more boosted highs than ZSX, but ZSX have more forwarded mids.
I definitely need my inner head rattled, and my older ears have no problem dealing with the highs being boosted. Any fatigue from extended listening? I'm often listening for 8+ hrs a day.

Dec 14, 2019 at 8:11 PM Post #49,116 of 63,917
I definitely need my inner head rattled, and my older ears have no problem dealing with the highs being boosted. Any fatigue from extended listening? I'm often listening for 8+ hrs a day.

the V90 while boosted in highs they are pretty smooth, not piercing or harsh. Im treble sensitive and still can take them without any problem

Dec 14, 2019 at 10:26 PM Post #49,117 of 63,917
Thanks for that very detailed reply to my original question. You know, coming from non-Chi-Fi, all I did was read these reviews of KZs from various websites after hearing about them shortly before 11.11 in 2018. There's this huge zoo of KZ IEMs, so I didn't know what to get [other than the cheap EDR1 and ATE during 2018]. It seemed KZ was offering something for everyone, so I started with the ZS-10 Pro after many positive reviews, even though the ZSX had just launched this summer.

Now that they're not as steely going forward, that's really good news, and I might pick up a ZSX when it goes down to $30.

I really appreciate that the lower prices of Chi-Fi allow ordinary people to experiment with a lot of different IEMs and signatures. My first KZs (EDR1+ATE) arrived alongside TRN V80/Tin T2/Banned V2, and now I have quite a stable. I'm using the ZS-10 Pro as a generalist IEM except for classical/jazz, and it's doing fine.
You said it and I agree. This less expensive Chi-fi stuff allows people to experiment with different sound signatures without breaking the bank. I absolutely love my ZS10 PRO, and have no regrets buying them. They work great with the types of music I listen to most often, and make me happy. After more than 6 months of owning them, I still can't believe that they sound as good as they do, for the amount of $ I paid.

Dec 14, 2019 at 10:54 PM Post #49,118 of 63,917
You said it and I agree. This less expensive Chi-fi stuff allows people to experiment with different sound signatures without breaking the bank. I absolutely love my ZS10 PRO, and have no regrets buying them. They work great with the types of music I listen to most often, and make me happy. After more than 6 months of owning them, I still can't believe that they sound as good as they do, for the amount of $ I paid.
I agree as well. I really enjoy my ZS10pros and I'm looking forward to trying out the TRN V90s and maybe the ZSX.

Dec 15, 2019 at 2:56 AM Post #49,119 of 63,917
Let’s be honest.
KZ is the best Chi Fi company currently.
No, they don’t make the ultimate best IEMs, not even amongst only Chi Fi companies.
But they make the most good , cheap, nice sounding IEMs.
I would bet that most people that are “into” Chi Fi, started with KZ’s, and
That’s what got them into this scene to begin with. If not for KZ, many of us wouldn’t
Even know about all the other good Chi Fi companies.
Thank you Knowledge Zenith. :)

Dec 15, 2019 at 9:27 AM Post #49,120 of 63,917
I came to Chi-Fi several years ago, looking for an alternative to the Sennheiser CX series and Jay's A-Jay's 3 headphones, I found the legendary xiaomi piston 2 which hooked me. Stumbling on to KZ almost never happened!

The journey took in trips through later Xiaomi models, Musicmaker models culminating in the TK13 (TO12), which was my standard at the time. I had a few KZ's like ED3 sport and classic, HDS 1 & 3 which I enjoyed but didn't consider to compete with my (more expensive) Toneking's.

The headphone that truly ignited my passion for KZ was the ZS5v1, I was floored by the jump in sound quality and value.

Current favourites would be AS10 > ZS7 > ZS6 > ZS5v1 > As12 > ZS10. The AS10 with Trn BT20s is now by far my favourite, I love the (for KZ) forward mids, the bass is a great balance between speed and weight which works perfectly for my ears.

Thanks to those members of the thread who helped inform those buying decisions with their insightful reviews and robust discussion.

Dec 15, 2019 at 10:11 AM Post #49,121 of 63,917
Let’s be honest.
KZ is the best Chi Fi company currently.
No, they don’t make the ultimate best IEMs, not even amongst only Chi Fi companies.
But they make the most good , cheap, nice sounding IEMs.
I would bet that most people that are “into” Chi Fi, started with KZ’s, and
That’s what got them into this scene to begin with. If not for KZ, many of us wouldn’t
Even know about all the other good Chi Fi companies.
Thank you Knowledge Zenith. :)

I was a straight up Japanophile my whole life. JVC, Audio Technica, Sony, ect. Got hooked into the KZ ZST hype. Was blown away with what I got for $20. Then Ed8, Ed9 Edr1, Ect. Then it moved to other Chifi manufacturers. Now my life in hitting rock bottom and I see no way out.

KZ is a gateway drug basically.

:)

Dec 15, 2019 at 3:50 PM Post #49,122 of 63,917
I was a straight up Japanophile my whole life. JVC, Audio Technica, Sony, ect. Got hooked into the KZ ZST hype. Was blown away with what I got for $20. Then Ed8, Ed9 Edr1, Ect. Then it moved to other Chifi manufacturers. Now my life in hitting rock bottom and I see no way out.

KZ is a gateway drug basically.

:)

lololol. Oh my god so true. Gateway drug is so accurate. But now, I need more drugs!!! Hahaha

Dec 15, 2019 at 4:17 PM Post #49,123 of 63,917
lololol. Oh my god so true. Gateway drug is so accurate. But now, I need more drugs!!! Hahaha
Yup. I have already had multiple interventions and I get that disappointed look from everyone in my family. In fact I just stopped hanging out with everyone because of it. Those people are crazy. I don't need them. I don't have a problem. They do.

Dec 15, 2019 at 4:20 PM Post #49,124 of 63,917
Yup. I have already had multiple interventions and I get that disappointed look from everyone in my family. In fact I just stopped hanging out with everyone because of it. Those people are crazy. I don't need them. I don't have a problem. They do.
it's okay, inanimate objects can be your friend too. they are the best type, easy to change when you don't like and only make noise when you want them to.

Dec 15, 2019 at 4:34 PM Post #49,125 of 63,917
it's okay, inanimate objects can be your friend too. they are the best type, easy to change when you don't like and only make noise when you want them to.
jerk.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back