Knowledge Zenith (KZ) impressions thread
Nov 9, 2019 at 3:34 AM Post #48,796 of 64,002
I'm actually impressed with how dumb this sentence is.

For one, there couldn't be a "super instrument" reproducing a full orchestra because how the hell would it be operated?

For two, the world's best full-size headphones are single membrane. Do you seriously think your little chi-fi multi-driver IEMs are competing with the likes of the Audeze, Stax, Focal, or Sennheiser's massive flagships? Or hell, even something like Campfire's TOTL single-driver IEMs?

For three, that which creates sound has absolutely zero bearing on that which reproduces sound.

By your logic, headphones playing a symphony orchestra would need about 60 or 70 drivers, one per instrument. Or a recording of a piano would need 88 different speakers, one per string.

It is humbling to receive such a strong emotional response. It also reminded me of Einstein 's saying. The man was sure only about two infinite things, actually one :)

Your strong arguments seem to be all precedent-based, your citation list of "flagships" is seemingly intimidatingly impressive mind- and wallet-wise.

Though empowered with such strong logic, back upon an introduction of steam engines, seemingly an impeccable precedent-based argument would be to dismiss those engines since the horses are surely faster :)
This logic would also help to be a good target audience that can be easily convinced to buy another horse for your stable since it is the fastest, the "flagship" of the hour. :)

Now from the horses and "flagships" to the sound - those "60-70" symphonic instruments playing at once their individual parts would make for a true cacophony that your ears would not be able to resolve no matter what "flagship" is used. No need to go further with this logic to a piano with its couple of hundred strings (there are even more strings than the (88) keys if you look closely into it:wink:)

Actually, the number of voices that the human brain can simultaneously meaningfully process is 4-6 at best. In fact, one of the unsurpassed masterpieces of classical music is Bach's six-voice fugue from The Musical Offering. Surely, more voices can be written for some "flagship scores" for the fame of the day, yet they may not sound as beautifully intricate and magestic....

Also there are just 10 octaves in the audible range, out of which less than 8 are most important for the music, so 8-12 independent drivers actually will do the job nicely based on both physics and psychoacoustics!

Talking more about precedents, I am blessed to be able to listen to string instruments live closely daily. I can assure you that the sound of a violin up close is even different from its sound at a distance and is quite far what a DD can reproduce physically. BAs (as multiple agile drivers) give a better approximation to my ears, more so less dampened harsher Bellsings than Knowles (sorry to bring another Pandora's box). Strings do sound quite a bit harsh up close when bowed.

Finally...
" For three, that which creates sound has absolutely zero bearing on that which reproduces sound."
This sentence I can only say I have some difficulty to grasp :)
What about a precedent of reproducing the violin sound with drums or drums with a violin, even the "true flagship" Stradivari one :) :)

Nov 9, 2019 at 6:28 AM Post #48,799 of 64,002
And how are concerts recorded ? with 12 balanced armatures per stereo channel? The logic is flawed. A single membrane can capture and reproduce all the frequencies adequately.

Actually, if you look more closely into the difference between dynamic and more advanced condenser and ribbon microphones, the membrane there moves very little and experience less distortion by far compared to DDs that should move quite a bit of air to reproduce sound.
This comparison actually presents a strong case for BAs.
Not that BAs are perfect by any means, they work well rather in a limited range, so many of them is needed. Then coherence is an issue, especially with budget IEMs.

Yet, they make more compelling solution for sound reproduction currently, at least to me.

Nov 9, 2019 at 10:24 AM Post #48,800 of 64,002
I'm actually impressed with how dumb this sentence is.

For one, there couldn't be a "super instrument" reproducing a full orchestra because how the hell would it be operated?

For two, the world's best full-size headphones are single membrane. Do you seriously think your little chi-fi multi-driver IEMs are competing with the likes of the Audeze, Stax, Focal, or Sennheiser's massive flagships? Or hell, even something like Campfire's TOTL single-driver IEMs?

For three, that which creates sound has absolutely zero bearing on that which reproduces sound.

By your logic, headphones playing a symphony orchestra would need about 60 or 70 drivers, one per instrument. Or a recording of a piano would need 88 different speakers, one per string.

It would be nice if you would edit out that first sentence. No need to be insulting. We can all have our own views and preferences.

Actually, if you look more closely into the difference between dynamic and more advanced condenser and ribbon microphones, the membrane there moves very little and experience less distortion by far compared to DDs that should move quite a bit of air to reproduce sound.
This comparison actually presents a strong case for BAs.
Not that BAs are perfect by any means, they work well rather in a limited range, so many of them is needed. Then coherence is an issue, especially with budget IEMs.

Yet, they make more compelling solution for sound reproduction currently, at least to me.

think it is possible to appreciate both. I certainly do.

Speaking of single dynamics, I will turn back time a few years here and share this new (to me) KZ ED7 that arrived today. I am only able to find them on Amazon.UK but there could be others. They ship from China.

While listening I was reading @DocHoliday 's review and I can totally relate to all that he has said.

https://www.head-fi.org/showcase/knowledge-zenith-ed7-in-ear-monitor.23035/

The body is made of bamboo. I have put Symbio tips on them (not Symbio Peels but I might try those if I still have a pair somewhere).

I would love to find the mini version.

R0015934.JPG

Nov 9, 2019 at 10:44 AM Post #48,801 of 64,002
It would be nice if you would edit out that first sentence. No need to be insulting. We can all have our own views and preferences.

think it is possible to appreciate both. I certainly do.

Speaking of single dynamics, I will turn back time a few years here and share this new (to me) KZ ED7 that arrived today. I am only able to find them on Amazon.UK but there could be others. They ship from China.

While listening I was reading @DocHoliday 's review and I can totally relate to all that he has said.

https://www.head-fi.org/showcase/knowledge-zenith-ed7-in-ear-monitor.23035/

The body is made of bamboo. I have put Symbio tips on them (not Symbio Peels but I might try those if I still have a pair somewhere).

I would love to find the mini version.

Absolutely.
I enjoy my Blon.
I was just trying to voice some reasoning against the recent hype of single DDs. In terms of an ulimate solution, multi-BAs make a bit more sense, that's all :)

Nov 9, 2019 at 11:15 AM Post #48,802 of 64,002
I was just trying to voice some reasoning against the recent hype of single DDs. In terms of an ulimate solution, multi-BAs make a bit more sense, that's all :)

I find counter-hype just as annoying as hype. It adds a similar kind of noise. When people focus on having a good dialog, the best discussions happen in my experience. Hype will come and hype will go, like fashions in the clothing industry.

Nov 9, 2019 at 8:41 PM Post #48,803 of 64,002
DD...BA...Planar....Est....etc...etc..
Different tools for different situations. No need to argue about which is best.
Even several single DD IEMs/earbuds/headphones can sound different from one another,
The same goes to the several BA IEMs that have the same exact number of driver inside.

Try to listen to your earphones and categorize them by their sound and optimal situational use, and don't mind about the tech and other things written on their spec sheets.
Their specs would only makes things easier for deciding what amps and power you would going to pair them with, how added impedance would affect the changes in sound, etc..

Other than that, no benefit would come from comparing driver techs

Nov 10, 2019 at 12:16 AM Post #48,805 of 64,002
Weird question. Can anyone tell me how (or where to find a tutorial, if you will) to shop 11.11? TIA

1. Go to AliExpress.com
2. Put item in shopping cart
3. Pay for item on 11/11
4. Wait for item
5. Blame 11/11 frequently for being too popular because you wait so long
6. Item arrives
7. Praise 11/11 for being so wonderful

Nov 10, 2019 at 12:30 AM Post #48,806 of 64,002
So has anyone seen a really good 11/11 special on anything audio-related?
Everything I looked at was close to a meaningless discount, so I ordered the earphones I wanted last week for $36 vs $33 on 11/11.
Maybe if I was into more expensive gear I'd see some good sales. I don't really care about $3. I bought a can of coke today which was $1 less than the bottle I could have bought, and I took the slightly longer way home to avoid paying $2 for the toll bridge, so there's $3.

Nov 10, 2019 at 12:41 AM Post #48,807 of 64,002
Everything I looked at was close to a meaningless discount, so I ordered the earphones I wanted last week for $36 vs $33 on 11/11.
Maybe if I was into more expensive gear I'd see some good sales. I don't really care about $3. I bought a can of coke today which was $1 less than the bottle I could have bought, and I took the slightly longer way home to avoid paying $2 for the toll bridge, so there's $3.

Well since we are in the KZ thread, the KZ resin ABS hard cases are going at 1 buck for 11/11. Good quality, I bought a few 3 years back and they're still working today. There are many stores selling it, just get the cheapest.

A certain store on AE is selling the new TFZ King Edition @ $129, but will give a free My Love Edition with purchase of the King Edition on 11/11. Quite a good deal IMHO, as the My Love is about $50 USD just by itself. The TFZ Edition is supposedly based on the same driver as the TFZ No. 3/No. 3 TI, but it has tuning switches to change the sound signature. I'm very very interested in getting it. But I just bought the BLON Cardinal (higher end bigger brother BLON of the hypetrain BLON BL-03). So I need to find a way to convince my wife about this King Edition. Somebody give me some good ideas LOL.

Otherwise the NICEHCK copper 8 core cables are going at $6ish USD at some stores, super good price IMHO.

I think the higher discounts would be in audio gear > $150 USD as the select coupons on 11/11 give more discounts for minimum spend of $150. This year's discounts for the budget CHIFI don't seem as good as the previous years though.

Nov 10, 2019 at 5:56 AM Post #48,808 of 64,002

The secret to the Aliexpress sales are the coupons, plus using the mobile app.

For example, I have a $5 off $35 Aliexpress (not store) coupon that can be used on anything:

46D89CF6-03A9-460A-9F9F-C2BA892EBAC3.jpeg

So now your $36 earphones go down to $28.

On top of that, most stores have store coupons. I very often see small store coupons pop up mid sale, like $1 off $10 or $2 off $15 for example. The store coupons stack with Aliexpress coupons.

So if the store has a store coupon (say, a $2 off $15 coupon), then the price drops even further down to $26 (vs the $36 you paid).

In addition, prices of every product are almost always cheaper on the mobile app vs the website. It doesn’t matter if it’s during a sale or not. Sometimes it’s only a few pennies cheaper, but other times it’s 5% cheaper. So I never use the website anymore, and exclusively use the mobile app to maximize my savings.

Now, I’m sure one could make the same argument of “I’ll just take the long way home to avoid the toll bridge 5 days in a row to save the same $10”, but one could make that argument about everything in life. I could buy a brand new car for free if I “took the long way home to avoid the toll bridge” enough times lol

But the point is that there are extra savings to be had by doing coupon fu. And guess what? That $10 saved on the earphones could have paid for a balanced cable for the earphones (in other words, a ‘free’ balanced cable).

Last edited:
Nov 10, 2019 at 6:46 AM Post #48,809 of 64,002
... A certain store on AE is selling the new TFZ King Edition @ $129, but will give a free My Love Edition with purchase of the King Edition on 11/11. Quite a good deal IMHO, as the My Love is about $50 USD just by itself...

...So I need to find a way to convince my wife about this King Edition. Somebody give me some good ideas LOL...
Are we not allowed to reference AE stores by name ?

Every Queen should have a King, unless said Queen prefers the presence of another Queen

Nov 10, 2019 at 7:25 AM Post #48,810 of 64,002
Are we not allowed to reference AE stores by name ?

Every Queen should have a King, unless said Queen prefers the presence of another Queen

That's a good one haha.
I dunno what are the forum rules about store names (that are not outrightly banned of course) and links actually. Any idea?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back