Knowledge Zenith (KZ) impressions thread
Sep 28, 2019 at 1:17 PM Post #48,256 of 63,958
That's a really good looking cable

KB ear balanced cable received.

I its a nice sturdy cable. The plastic has some resistance when you rub it.

The plug is also high quality... I like it.

Sep 28, 2019 at 1:23 PM Post #48,257 of 63,958
The $50+ releases of CCA and KZ are good enough even when paired with lower sources like the Walnut or Zishan for me. So much so I'm considering getting rid of a lot of my TOTL gear. My $50 KZ7 sound better than the older TOTL universals in th $300-400+ range from yester year about 5-10 years ago (ie Audio Technica CK10, Ultimate Ears TF10, Westone W3, Westone UM3X, Shure 535, Sennheiser IE8), and I want to play with my car more these days for a while.

Sep 28, 2019 at 1:28 PM Post #48,259 of 63,958
The $50+ releases of CCA and KZ are good enough even when paired with lower sources like the Walnut or Zishan for me. So much so I'm considering getting rid of a lot of my TOTL gear. My $50 KZ7 sound better than the older TOTL universals in th $300-400+ range from yester year about 5-10 years ago (ie Audio Technica CK10, Ultimate Ears TF10, Westone W3, Westone UM3X, Shure 535, Sennheiser IE8), and I want to play with my car more these days for a while.
I'm starting to think the same. I was going to buy some totl iems but you know £50 gets you about 80% there with chi fi.

Sep 28, 2019 at 6:45 PM Post #48,260 of 63,958
There is some variation between units with the ZSX. My original black/silver version sounds great, but the blue/gray version sounds ever so slightly edgier and peaky in the treble, even after extensive burn in. It's unfortunate but isn't surprising given the sheer number of drivers in the iem, especially at the price point. The reviews I've seen that describe a fatigue or peakyness in the treble sounds like what I've heard with my second unit. My first unit sounds more balanced and is fatigue free. Maybe I got lucky on my first unit or maybe my second unit is an outlier, but my first pair sounds good enough that I'm probably selling my V90. It would have been a harder pick between the two if my only unit sounded like the second one

Sep 29, 2019 at 12:19 AM Post #48,261 of 63,958
I would like to thank the KZ community here for their help and advice through the purchase and usage process!

After receiving the ZSX for a couple days and comparing it with my Shure SE215m+ (its not a great comparison but that is the only IEM I had before) here are my thoughts:

TLDR: ZSX > SE215 in instrument separation, clarity, and bass but may need other tips for a better fit for smaller ears (YMMV). Portability + Commute = SE215 / Critical Listening = ZSX

Setup:
KZ Gold-Silver mixed upgrade cable + NewBee Foam tips (IEMS fit nicely in a Shure case) with Macbook 12” as source (Spotify)
package.jpg
earphone_cable.jpg foam_tips.jpg

Size Comparison:
length.jpg width.jpg height.jpg

comparison.jpg

Fit + Comfort:
Having small ears, fit was not that great with the stock eartips or starline tips as it would sit on my ears at an angle (ex. The left iem would sit at an angle “\” if the “|” represented the iem)

With the NewBee foam tips, the fit was more secure and sat closer to my ear.

Sound:

Briefly commenting on the sound since I am not an audiophile at all. The instrument/voice separation, clarity is way better than the SE215. Bass is tight and the “kick” is better compared to SE215m+.

Pros:
  • Gold-Silver cable is very flexible, lightweight, and is very easy to untangle if tangled
  • Sound is great compared to SE215
  • Isolation is fairly good with foam tips
Cons:
  • Stock Brown KZ Cable gets tangled easily (would recommend changing the cable if you want a tangle free experience)
  • Required foam tips to have a better fit (stock and starline tips did not fit well)

Notes:
  • I had a slight hiss on my ZSX, I was able to reduce the hiss by increasing the system volume while reducing the application volume (ie. Spotify volume control)
  • NewBee tips appear to shed black particles when wiped down with a cloth compared to Shure foam sleeves
    • wonder what material Shure Sleeves use to make them so durable. I have had them since 2016 and never had to change the foam tips
    • Would recommend pushing the foam tips as in as possible (i pushed it until i could not see the shiny metal) to reduce the "tunneling" effect that may be sometimes heard on foam tips

Last edited:
Sep 29, 2019 at 1:11 AM Post #48,262 of 63,958
Using my phone mic and a silicone tip (so take grain of salt) here are my measurements from the ZSX, V90, and BLON. Take from it what you will
z7pEFhP.jpg

Xe83MEP.jpg

PuzMsMu.jpg

Last edited:
Sep 29, 2019 at 1:34 AM Post #48,263 of 63,958
And here is the Sony MH755, Moondrop Crescent and Tin T2 for good measure and comparison
aEbfBP0.jpg

L318i1c.jpg

PZUPqEY.jpg

Sep 29, 2019 at 1:48 PM Post #48,264 of 63,958
Full ZSX Sound Review is up :beerchug:
Tracks used for testing in the video description.

Last edited:
Sep 29, 2019 at 1:55 PM Post #48,265 of 63,958
Nice review, and I love the Shure 215, used one for many years for gym duty

I would like to thank the KZ community here for their help and advice through the purchase and usage process!

After receiving the ZSX for a couple days and comparing it with my Shure SE215m+ (its not a great comparison but that is the only IEM I had before) here are my thoughts:

TLDR: ZSX > SE215 in instrument separation, clarity, and bass but may need other tips for a better fit for smaller ears (YMMV). Portability + Commute = SE215 / Critical Listening = ZSX

Setup:
KZ Gold-Silver mixed upgrade cable + NewBee Foam tips (IEMS fit nicely in a Shure case) with Macbook 12” as source (Spotify)

Size Comparison:

Fit + Comfort:
Having small ears, fit was not that great with the stock eartips or starline tips as it would sit on my ears at an angle (ex. The left iem would sit at an angle “\” if the “|” represented the iem)

With the NewBee foam tips, the fit was more secure and sat closer to my ear.

Sound:

Briefly commenting on the sound since I am not an audiophile at all. The instrument/voice separation, clarity is way better than the SE215. Bass is tight and the “kick” is better compared to SE215m+.

Pros:
  • Gold-Silver cable is very flexible, lightweight, and is very easy to untangle if tangled
  • Sound is great compared to SE215
  • Isolation is fairly good with foam tips
Cons:
  • Stock Brown KZ Cable gets tangled easily (would recommend changing the cable if you want a tangle free experience)
  • Required foam tips to have a better fit (stock and starline tips did not fit well)

Notes:
  • I had a slight hiss on my ZSX, I was able to reduce the hiss by increasing the system volume while reducing the application volume (ie. Spotify volume control)
  • NewBee tips appear to shed black particles when wiped down with a cloth compared to Shure foam sleeves
    • wonder what material Shure Sleeves use to make them so durable. I have had them since 2016 and never had to change the foam tips
    • Would recommend pushing the foam tips as in as possible (i pushed it until i could not see the shiny metal) to reduce the "tunneling" effect that may be sometimes heard on foam tips

Sep 29, 2019 at 10:14 PM Post #48,266 of 63,958
Sep 30, 2019 at 4:29 AM Post #48,268 of 63,958
for KZ ZS10 Pro, spinfit CP500 or CP155 ?? whats the pro and con ??

I use spinfit CP 100 with my KZ ZS10 Pro and it fits 100%. Never used the other 2 models (CP500 or CP155) so I can't advise whether they will fit or not.
Spinfit CP100 gives better comfort and isolation than stock tips. It does make treble a little bit increased.

Sep 30, 2019 at 4:47 AM Post #48,269 of 63,958
Sep 30, 2019 at 4:48 AM Post #48,270 of 63,958
just found out what the Zs10 Pro does better than all of my other IEMs, it works really great for playing games on my PS4. it's really spacious, conversations are clear, and pin-pointing sound is easy.
it's almost similar to my Kanas, but the Kanas has a more "analog" sounding mids and upper treble, making the ZS10 Pro sounding more sparkly and cleaner. for music though the Kanas is still better for my ears

Users who are viewing this thread

Back