Knowledge Zenith (KZ) impressions thread
Sep 27, 2019 at 10:03 PM Post #48,242 of 63,834
T800 a good purchase?

Well the Audiosense T800 excels at instrument separation, details and clarity but is pretty bright. So if u are treble sensitive, not the best option, unless u wanna play with knowles filters, eartips +/- cables.
It is also pretty source sensitive so to get the most out of it, a good DAC/Amp is advised rather than just driving it from a lowend smartphone. But otherwise, it is quite suitable for all genres and is my endgame multi BA set, I think it is worth it for a 8 Knowles BA for the price ($298 USD). Definitely more pricey than the usual sub 50 bucks CHIFI fare, but it would be an upgrade over most of the CHIFI stuff I have so far.

Sep 27, 2019 at 10:09 PM Post #48,243 of 63,834
Don't get me wrong, the Be is probably my favorite IEM to date (from memory, it's been a while since I lost them), but even with the Be I had an "adjustment period" of sorts before I fully appreciated it. The ZSX was love at first listen, and I say with no hyperbole that I haven't had a moment like that since I tried out the Audeze LCD-X for the first time.

Now, obviously, the ZSX isn't in the same solar system as something like an Audeze, but it gave me that same moment of "ohhhhhh I love these" that I don't often get with headphones. I really do think if their tuning fits your tastes that the ZSX might quell any desire for upgrades.

And this is spot on. I've heard really expensive gear that I just plain wasn't a fan of. HiFiMan's top offerings, Stax, a bunch of other IEMs. Yeah they had all the "technical" prowess, but I'm not buying headphones for measurements and to be impressed with the tech, I'm buying them to make me love my music and that's what the ZSX do better than most of what I've owned over the years.
+1,×2! Especially the part of "oooo, I love these!" That was MY reaction to the ZS10 PRO. Next was: "these cost how much, again??!!". KZ (and CCA) has really been putting out some incredible sounding iems in the past several months. The SQ is really hitting far beyond their price and as a person with limited disposable income, I love how far these Chifi iems have gone to get close to TOTL quality and sound, for a fraction of the price. If all that was available was Western $500+ gear, I wouldn't be able to afford playing in this hobby. Thanks to Chifi, I can afford to have excellent sounding gear for fairly affordable prices. Gear that let's me enjoy my music without stressing my bank account as much, anyways. Lol!

Sep 27, 2019 at 10:25 PM Post #48,244 of 63,834
Well the Audiosense T800 excels at instrument separation, details and clarity but is pretty bright. So if u are treble sensitive, not the best option, unless u wanna play with knowles filters, eartips +/- cables.
It is also pretty source sensitive so to get the most out of it, a good DAC/Amp is advised rather than just driving it from a lowend smartphone. But otherwise, it is quite suitable for all genres and is my endgame multi BA set, I think it is worth it for a 8 Knowles BA for the price ($298 USD). Definitely more pricey than the usual sub 50 bucks CHIFI fare, but it would be an upgrade over most of the CHIFI stuff I have so far.

KZ ZXS and/or CCA C12 are the ones to get from the from the KZ family tree.. their best releases so far...and IMO priced absolutely reasonable... Audiosense T800 is a step up, maybe not so much in tuning/frequency presentation, but in resolution, imaging and soundstage then the T800 is much closer to $1000+ IEM's than $50 vs. $300.... if that makes any sense :) But again $300 is not cheap either...

Sep 27, 2019 at 10:50 PM Post #48,245 of 63,834
Depends on what you mean by "top of the line" and "compete". Diminishing returns do happen and while I don't think anyone here is saying a KZ is going to legitimately beat an Andromeda, the Chi-Fi market is definitely getting to a point where the desire to spend 10x more for a 10% increase sorta vanishes. They absolutely "compete" in the sense that they offer so much for such a low price point that unless someone really wants "best on the market" my first recommendation is becoming to look into the Chi-Fi products before worrying about any of the big names.
Can't disagree on that. Chi fi products are good enough for most of the consumers out there and it probably beats most entry level outdated American fi products from Shure and westone. However to many others, sometimes good enough isn't good enough for them

Sep 27, 2019 at 10:59 PM Post #48,246 of 63,834
KZ ZXS and/or CCA C12 are the ones to get from the from the KZ family tree.. their best releases so far...and IMO priced absolutely reasonable... Audiosense T800 is a step up, maybe not so much in tuning/frequency presentation, but in resolution, imaging and soundstage then the T800 is much closer to $1000+ IEM's than $50 vs. $300.... if that makes any sense :) But again $300 is not cheap either...

Yep agreed.

I don't have the KZX or CCA C12, but when I compare the Audiosense T800 to the KZX predecessor (KZ ZS10 Pro), if both are driven from just a lowend smartphone without amping/good DAC, the KZ ZS10 pro is not too far away in sound quality from the T800. Maybe the ZS10 Pro loses out in soundstage and timbre and some microdetails/imaging with a smartphone.
But if a good source file, dedicated DAC +/- amping is used, the T800 can draw out much much more microdetails and give better imaging than the ZS10 Pro.

Depends on what you mean by "top of the line" and "compete". Diminishing returns do happen and while I don't think anyone here is saying a KZ is going to legitimately beat an Andromeda, the Chi-Fi market is definitely getting to a point where the desire to spend 10x more for a 10% increase sorta vanishes. They absolutely "compete" in the sense that they offer so much for such a low price point that unless someone really wants "best on the market" my first recommendation is becoming to look into the Chi-Fi products before worrying about any of the big names.

Can't disagree on that. Chi fi products are good enough for most of the consumers out there and it probably beats most entry level outdated American fi products from Shure and westone. However to many others, sometimes good enough isn't good enough for them

Fully agreed.

Hence I alluded to in a previous post that the past 2 years, the CHIFI companies have really been giving us good bang for buck with their releases, and their sub 50 bucks IEMs are already very good in quality. Anything higher end would be improvements, but are they worth the diminishing returns relative to costs? That's up to the individual to decide.

Last edited:
Sep 28, 2019 at 1:59 AM Post #48,247 of 63,834
Hey I've noticed hissing for kz zsx on my desktop, I heard cheap dac/amp combo can remedy the issue but upon googling I found even some dac/amp can produce hiss on iems. Is there a recommendation for cheap dac/amp simply for eliminating hiss? Maybe someone in a similar situation can help me out.

I also see some suggestions for some kind of really cheap usb dac/ sound card decoder you can find on aliexpress? that might works?

Maybe someone in a similar situation can help me out ty

Sep 28, 2019 at 2:16 AM Post #48,248 of 63,834
Hey I've noticed hissing for kz zsx on my desktop, I heard cheap dac/amp combo can remedy the issue but upon googling I found even some dac/amp can produce hiss on iems. Is there a recommendation for cheap dac/amp simply for eliminating hiss? Maybe someone in a similar situation can help me out.

I also see some suggestions for some kind of really cheap usb dac/ sound card decoder you can find on aliexpress? that might works?

Maybe someone in a similar situation can help me out ty

https://www.head-fi.org/threads/kno...essions-thread.698148/page-3210#post-15209679

Hi friend, I made a post about hiss in KZs a few pages ago.
It can be fixed with an amp, cheap in line volume controller or impedance mismatch device. I bought some cheap inline volume controllers from my neighbourhood provision shop for less than five bucks, it works like a charm. I'm pretty sure aliexpress will have cheaper and better quality ones. Just max your source volume and titrate upwards from the volume controller.

Last edited:
Sep 28, 2019 at 2:20 AM Post #48,249 of 63,834
https://www.head-fi.org/threads/kno...essions-thread.698148/page-3210#post-15209679

Hi friend, I made a post about hiss in KZs a few pages ago.
It can be fixed with an amp, cheap in line volume controller or impedance mismatch device. I bought some cheap inline volume controllers from my neighbourhood provision shop for less than five bucks, it works like a charm. I'm pretty sure aliexpress will have cheaper and better quality ones.
Don't those heavily reduce the sound quality?

Sep 28, 2019 at 2:36 AM Post #48,251 of 63,834
Don't those heavily reduce the sound quality?

I do feel an inline volume controller or impedance mismatch device does lower sound quality just a little bit. My portable fiio A3 amp is what i usually use to fix the hiss, but the volume controller is a quick cheap fix that is smaller in profile.

The hiss is actually not obvious inside the home or outside when music is playing. So maybe try using your KZX a few days and if u are really irritated by the hiss with music playing then those are the options if u really need to fix it.

Sep 28, 2019 at 2:42 AM Post #48,252 of 63,834
I do feel an inline volume controller or impedance mismatch device does lower sound quality just a little bit. My portable fiio A3 amp is what i usually use to fix the hiss, but the volume controller is a quick cheap fix that is smaller in profile.

The hiss is actually not obvious inside the home or outside when music is playing. So maybe try using your KZX a few days and if u are really irritated by the hiss with music playing then those are the options if u really need to fix it.
Yea I think an amp/dac is what I need, fiio A3 hmm does it fully eliminate the noise when playing on really low volume?
I could use more suggestions for dac/amp (preferably cheaper options) that is for sure gonna eliminate the hiss

Sep 28, 2019 at 3:14 AM Post #48,253 of 63,834
Yea I think an amp/dac is what I need, fiio A3 hmm does it fully eliminate the noise when playing on really low volume?
I could use more suggestions for dac/amp (preferably cheaper options) that is for sure gonna eliminate the hiss

I don't have the KZX but I'm using the KZ ZS10 Pro (both have exactly same impedance and sensitivity) with the Fiio A3 right now and can confirm there is no hiss at low volumes or even when no music is playing. So far there is no hiss on it with all my other IEMs too, which in general are all low impedance compared to some headphones.
But strangely, if u max the Fiio A3 volume pot to near maximal volumes (which even my high impedance headphones don't require so much juice), then there is a hiss (like maybe 8/10 on volume pot). For comparisons, I don't usually require more than 2/10 on volume pot for my IEMs, and it starts getting painful at 4/10 onwards for IEMs.
The Fiio A3 is a pure amp though, no DAC component in it. And it is really an entry level amp that has been on the market for some years, so there might be better DAC/AMP combos that are newer and better out there, maybe the others can advise.

Sep 28, 2019 at 10:10 AM Post #48,254 of 63,834
IMG_20190928_160703.jpg
KB ear balanced cable received.

I its a nice sturdy cable. The plastic has some resistance when you rub it.

The plug is also high quality... I like it.

Sep 28, 2019 at 11:22 AM Post #48,255 of 63,834
I don't have the KZX but I'm using the KZ ZS10 Pro (both have exactly same impedance and sensitivity) with the Fiio A3 right now and can confirm there is no hiss at low volumes or even when no music is playing. So far there is no hiss on it with all my other IEMs too, which in general are all low impedance compared to some headphones.
But strangely, if u max the Fiio A3 volume pot to near maximal volumes (which even my high impedance headphones don't require so much juice), then there is a hiss (like maybe 8/10 on volume pot). For comparisons, I don't usually require more than 2/10 on volume pot for my IEMs, and it starts getting painful at 4/10 onwards for IEMs.
The Fiio A3 is a pure amp though, no DAC component in it. And it is really an entry level amp that has been on the market for some years, so there might be better DAC/AMP combos that are newer and better out there, maybe the others can advise.
Do you think Fiio A1 will have the same effect or should I just go for a3?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back