Knowledge Zenith (KZ) impressions thread
Aug 24, 2019 at 4:08 PM Post #47,026 of 64,076
Got my ED9s today... They're not perfect by any stretch, I'd like a filter that was halfway between the two in sound quality...

Pro tip: For a sound between the 2 filters, take the foam out of the shiny gold nozzles using tweezers or even a toothpick, and install them into the full brass nozzles.

Aug 24, 2019 at 4:18 PM Post #47,027 of 64,076
Anyway has anybody gotten the new KZ NSX (I think), and heard them? The new TRN V90 (?) is also intriguing.....Slater did you order the “Terminator” from KZ, the NSX?

No, honestly I’ve been so happy with the ZS7 and ZS10 Pro, that I really haven’t longed for any new KZs. I can’t really imagine that adding 1 more BA driver to the ZSX will make them magically blow away the ZS7 or ZS10 Pro (regardless of what the new model name would imply). I assumed it was just going to be another side grade. But I could be wrong; I’ll wait and see once some trusted impressions roll in.

As far as the TRN, the V90 on midnight blue looks sexy as heck. It’s tempted me, but TRNs IEMs are always very iffy. So just like the ZSX, I’ve resisted ordering a V90 until some trusted impressions roll in as well.

P.S. - Glad to hear you’re getting better. We’ve missed you around here. I’m recovering from an injury myself, and spent the last few weeks bed ridden and in pain myself. It sucks when your body doesn’t cooperate lol

Aug 24, 2019 at 4:21 PM Post #47,028 of 64,076
The issue is that they are supposed to be worn straight down, so the weight of the IEMs may yank them out of your ears if u don't have a good ear tip fit and walk about.
I know some headfiers wear them over ear and rotate them to fix this issue.
The stock tips ain't too good IMO, but I got a perfect fit with them using KZ starlines, YMMV.

Yup, the goofy red stock tips suck.

I use Starlines or Auvios on mine.

And I’m one of those folks that wear them up and sides reversed (although since they’re mmcx, you can swap the cable so the actual stereo channels are correct).

Aug 24, 2019 at 4:34 PM Post #47,029 of 64,076

And I’m one of those folks that wear them up and sides reversed (although since they’re mmcx, you can swap the cable so the actual stereo channels are correct).
Any brand that sells an iem with those weird red eartips and the cheap uninspiring **** packaging doesnt really care about how people think of their brand.

It's not 1990 anymore. The design of the packaging for the **** **** is unacceptable. Havent they heard of hiring someone on Fiverr?

Last edited:
Aug 24, 2019 at 4:37 PM Post #47,030 of 64,076
Any brand that sells an iem with those weird red eartips and the cheap uninspiring XX packaging doesnt really care about how people think of their brand.

It's not 1990 anymore, the design of the packaging for the XX us unacceptable. Havent they heard of hiring someone on Fiverr?

Well, generally speaking, I’d rather buy a good sounding earphone in a crap generic box, than a crap sounding earphone in a beautiful wooden box with gilded inlay. I can’t listen to the packaging.

Last edited:
Aug 24, 2019 at 4:42 PM Post #47,031 of 64,076
Well, generally speaking, I’d rather buy a good sounding earphone in a crap generic box, than a crap sounding earphone in a beautiful wooden box with gilded inlay. I can’t listen to the packaging.
Ditto. I can't listen to the **** **** because it doesn't work well with any eartips or methods in my ears. I probably should have known that if I saw the packaging first.

PS: I have a **** **** for sale.

Last edited:
Aug 24, 2019 at 9:09 PM Post #47,032 of 64,076
What about the weight?
Are they annoyingly heavy when walking long walks?

I use Starlines or Auvios on mine.

I also wear my 3-in-1 driver sampler pack IEMs cable-up. No problems with falling out or weight once you find the right tip, though I will comment that since they're *intended* for cable-down cables with pre-formed ear guides can be a bit awkward - the part that's supposed to loop up in front of the topmost part of where your ear meets your head instead loops up a tad behind it before hooking over to behind the ear, thanks to the angle of the cable port. Not impossible to work with, but cables without any guides work better IMO.

Aug 24, 2019 at 9:39 PM Post #47,033 of 64,076
If they are falling out because they are too loose, put a donut foam on top of the regular foam. If they are falling out because they are not fitted into your ear securely, make sure you have tucked as much as you can of the shell under the tragus and then pull down a bit on the stem to secure it angled in the intertragic notch area I make sure that the stem is not just sticking out of my ear but resting against my face. There are other shell types to consider if you keep having a problem.

It will be more difficult if you do not have much of a tragus or antitragus as those hold it in place.

To keep a bit on topic for the KZ thread, the shape and size of the concha will determine how well certain models of KZs will fit.

Ear.jpg
Thanks for the great info. I will order some donut foams on Aliexpress or maybe Amazon, if I can find a good deal on them there. I did try to wear them with the cable over ear (fortunately, my new balanced mmcx cable that I purchased specifically for this earbud, does not have a preformed memory guide) and it seemed a bit better, but the earbuds still seem to work themselves loose and out. Only way I can get the RY4S to sound great, is by keeping finger pressure on them, and pressing them firmly into my ears.

Aug 24, 2019 at 11:23 PM Post #47,034 of 64,076
Use one of the shirt clips that come with iems to take weight off the earbuds. Or silicone fins
I might just give fins a try, but they look complicated to seat. Heck, I'm just now beginning to get proficient at inserting my iems into my ears. LOL! The action of looping a cable over my ears and inserting at the same time, was complicated to me at first. Back in February of this year, when I first got my KPE, I screwed it up everytime; and my ISN C16 cable doesn't even have preformed ear hooks. I've got 4 iems now, with ear hook memory forms on the cables, and I am getting much better at it.

Aug 25, 2019 at 12:56 AM Post #47,036 of 64,076
Just got the ZS7, and they are better than I was expecting (I like them better than the CCA C10). My usual favorite tips have interesting impacts on the sonics... Tenmak Whirlwinds seem like a good match. What's everyone else using?

Medium Auvio tips.

Aug 25, 2019 at 3:56 AM Post #47,037 of 64,076
No, honestly I’ve been so happy with the ZS7 and ZS10 Pro, that I really haven’t longed for any new KZs. I can’t really imagine that adding 1 more BA driver to the ZSX will make them magically blow away the ZS7 or ZS10 Pro (regardless of what the new model name would imply). I assumed it was just going to be another side grade. But I could be wrong; I’ll wait and see once some trusted impressions roll in.

As far as the TRN, the V90 on midnight blue looks sexy as heck. It’s tempted me, but TRNs IEMs are always very iffy. So just like the ZSX, I’ve resisted ordering a V90 until some trusted impressions roll in as well.

P.S. - Glad to hear you’re getting better. We’ve missed you around here. I’m recovering from an injury myself, and spent the last few weeks bed ridden and in pain myself. It sucks when your body doesn’t cooperate lol

Do you mean the Ed16 too as ed16 = zs7?

Aug 25, 2019 at 12:28 PM Post #47,039 of 64,076
I asked before but since you're discussing eartips I'll ask once more. What's the correct size for KZ AS10? Are there eartips that are unanimously considered better for sound/fit?
Thanks in advance.

Aug 25, 2019 at 2:23 PM Post #47,040 of 64,076
The RY4s is an earbud not an iem.

HTB1PD2NcBGw3KVjSZFwq6zQ2FXaI.jpg

Guess spinfit isnt an option, then... not sure how earhooks would work or not, but they are cheap enough to try.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back