Knowledge Zenith (KZ) impressions thread
Jun 19, 2015 at 8:31 PM Post #4,681 of 63,917
  What are You talking about?
blink.gif
They are ultra-comfortable, perfect size and lightest IEM I`ve ever had! 

biggrin.gif

Btw, I tested many things and so far only way to boost littlebit ANV sub-bass is to cover breathing holes on black plastic... BUT... it can cause damage to drivers when inserting tips into ears because air doesn`t escape from chamber and membrane gets "squeezed" backwards. If done gently then ok but I already got one "click" and right channel sounded weird. Had to do some same moves that membrane got back to its own shape again. I have some other ideas how to get that little sub-bass boost but need to experiment more.
I will probably also do nozzle-change mod (for using ED9 nozzles) because for my ears ANV nozzle is littlebit short.
Fun fun fun...
tongue.gif

smily_headphones1.gif
You were trying to Bait me. But alas..... You forgot I am a Master Baiter.
tongue_smile.gif

Beautiful job Coil. What kind of wood is that and how do they sound in comparison with the original?

beerchug.gif
beerchug.gif
TWIN

Jun 19, 2015 at 8:34 PM Post #4,682 of 63,917

I personally like them more, but I'll definitely be in the minority here. They're pretty old and build quality isn't nearly as good as, well, pretty much anything else KZ offers, lol. They still offer up quality sound though; quick yet deep bass (more than ATE, but not as much as ED9 [gold]), warm and forward mids (similar to ATE), great soundstage, detailed treble (it lacks that sparkle the ED9 [gold or brass] has, and is more like ATE). They're right up there with the ANV as my fav KZ iems. 

I more posted that link for those who mentioned they wanted a pair much, much earlier in the thread, in case they haven't bought them and were still interested. More of a "complete the collection" kinda thing.

I dont know which one to get now,ED9,ATE or Micro ring.

Jun 19, 2015 at 8:54 PM Post #4,685 of 63,917
smily_headphones1.gif
Now onto Twin's TWINS: I just received my 2nd Pair of ATEs, this time in Clear, today. So I took an hour or so to directly compare Both. Flashback to 2 weeks ago: I got the silvers listened to them and liked them immediately, rolled tips, and did a mod similar to Coil's by venting the Backs with some 3/32 and 1/16 Holes. I also removed the copper covers completely from the drivers, then sealed them back up permanently with Super Glue. I tried them with the backs off first then on several times and thought that I heard a difference so I went with the Mod.

Today, I A/B'd them directly and was quite surprised by the results. 1. I really can hear very little if any difference between modded and un-modded and MUCH to my surprise, 2.  (as you may have guessed I'm a big proponent of Burn-in), I found that the Older pair with 180+ hours on them and the New ones OTB sound IDENTICAL. In THIS case, I am wrong concerning burn in. It does nothing to the ATEs.

Believe me I have heard changes occuring from use in many 'Phones. Just not these. unfortunately I'm a creature of habit and I just KNOW that I won't be happy with the new pair until I put 200 Hours on them anyways.

I'm off to the Races now boyeeee....

cool.gif
cool.gif
TWIN

Jun 19, 2015 at 9:04 PM Post #4,686 of 63,917
smily_headphones1.gif
Scrambler, Have you seen these Micro Rings? they are GK branded same as the ANV:

http://www.aliexpress.com/item/High-Quality-apparatus-of-5-8-MM-acme-micro-dynamic-in-ear-headphones-high-resolution-penetrating/1948329841.html

cool.gif
cool.gif
TWIN

Jun 19, 2015 at 10:52 PM Post #4,687 of 63,917
Jun 20, 2015 at 1:46 AM Post #4,688 of 63,917
What are You talking about?:blink: They are ultra-comfortable, perfect size and lightest IEM I`ve ever had! 

:D

Btw, I tested many things and so far only way to boost littlebit ANV sub-bass is to cover breathing holes on black plastic... BUT... it can cause damage to drivers when inserting tips into ears because air doesn`t escape from chamber and membrane gets "squeezed" backwards. If done gently then ok but I already got one "click" and right channel sounded weird. Had to do some same moves that membrane got back to its own shape again. I have some other ideas how to get that little sub-bass boost but need to experiment more.
I will probably also do nozzle-change mod (for using ED9 nozzles) because for my ears ANV nozzle is littlebit short.
Fun fun fun...:p  

Wow CoiL those those look AMAZING!! How'd you do it? Gah all this ANV talk..

:) You were trying to Bait me. But alas..... You forgot I am a Master Baiter. :tongue_smile:

Beautiful job Coil. What kind of wood is that and how do they sound in comparison with the original?

:beerchug: :beerchug: TWIN

Seems like he's mastered baiting you hurhur.

Jun 20, 2015 at 3:32 AM Post #4,689 of 63,917

Mahogany. Compared to original, I think same. Maybe just a fraction more "open" due to the hole on wood backplates (just for experimenting). Soundstage/imaging seems also littlebit better but more likely it is just my psychoacoustic memory playing trick. Anyway, soundstage/imaging is very good on ANV.
This is probably not yet finished design. If only ANV didn`t have little lack of sub-bass - it would be probably best KZ IEM for my taste, details and neutrality/balance through all spectrum is great. Objectively, I would still rate ANV best KZ regarding all SQ aspects. Subjectively, ED9 (brass+foam) still my personal favourite... till I wood-mod my ATE 
tongue.gif

they are GK branded same as the ANV:

http://www.aliexpress.com/item/High-Quality-apparatus-of-5-8-MM-acme-micro-dynamic-in-ear-headphones-high-resolution-penetrating/1948329841.html

Seems like they have upgraded old micro-ring but driver is same, according to their "gibberish" description. Hmmm... maybe going to try out some day but not atm.

I want my ATE ! Now -.- ! I`m hoping after modding it will be my "final" KZ IEM.

Jun 20, 2015 at 8:56 AM Post #4,690 of 63,917
Jun 20, 2015 at 9:08 AM Post #4,691 of 63,917
Those who wish to try, KZ ANV is selling for 9$ atm: http://www.aliexpress.com/item/100-Original-KZ-ANV-Grade-Fever-Linear-Equalizer-Ear-Earphones-Monitor-Headphones-Perfect-Sound-Dynamic-Structure/32317811425.html

Jun 20, 2015 at 9:17 AM Post #4,692 of 63,917
So it seems the filter was the problem, my ED9s now shine. They sound relatively dark with brass filters, just a tad more bassy than Havi B3 that makes Mozart's piano concertos really exciting (have a listen to the 20th!!!!!!!!). Still some peaks and dips in the frequency range but it's so much better than with the holes in the filters open, or whatever it caused them to sound bad.

Value for money these are much better than Havis, almost same build quality, maybe 95% of its sound quality, 1/8th the price (bought ED9 for $6, Havi for $48).

Yes I like them now. Tad too few lower mids, tad too much upper mids... but all just tads. Now reading about ANV, micro ring, ANV... doesnt really make me buy them. By trying them one could also buy a more expensive one instead, so I keep it with ED9 for now.

Jun 20, 2015 at 9:20 AM Post #4,693 of 63,917
They sound relatively dark with brass filters

I think You are misusing audio describing terms.

Dark - A tonal balance that tilts downwards with increasing frequency. Opposite of bright. Weak high frequencies.

http://www.head-fi.org/t/220770/describing-sound-a-glossary

Users who are viewing this thread

Back