Knowledge Zenith (KZ) impressions thread
Jun 6, 2019 at 8:14 AM Post #44,987 of 63,946
The very reason I think buying kz above 35 usd is not worth. They don't tune their iems.
Well ... they're learning ... and they're learning pretty fast here and there.
If you take a closer look at the AS16 you'll see a 3D printed tubing piece that channels the output of the different BAs towards the nozzle. I have no idea what kind of research went into that piece - material, lengths, diameters and shapes of the individual bores - or if they inserted any dampers, most probably not, but at least it looks like they're getting more serious on acoustic tuning now, at least on this first higher end IEM - good signal.
Where I have my gripes with KZ and some other manufacturers it's quality control, or rather the lack thereof. Damn, the treble on my two latest KZs - the ZS7 and the ZSA is the worst of any of my 30+ IEMs - by far. I don't expect those folks to run a thorough acoustic check on any single IEM that leaves their factory but this level of piercing shrillness is just plain inacceptable IMO.

Jun 6, 2019 at 8:16 AM Post #44,988 of 63,946
Correction they don't tune their iems well enough relative to some offerings at the price point of under 50usd.
I thoroughly enjoy my CCA C16! :)
Hardly, there is a univeral tuning suitable for all tastes and music styles.

Jun 6, 2019 at 8:19 AM Post #44,989 of 63,946
What's so special about the KZ ES4 for hip hop? Vs... any other models?

The only KZ that I have heard, that I would rank "basshead". By that I mean its bassy AF without help, but if you happen to need extra help, it takes eq and amp fairly well for even more rumble. They are warm, and they have a nice stage. Really smooth. Bass is loose and a bit slow. That's great for this type of music IMO, and that's how I like hip hop and reggae.

And they are $12.

Jun 6, 2019 at 8:24 AM Post #44,990 of 63,946
Mounting them is a thing, i was wondering if they stay there for some hours while wearing them.

If you actually have used them like this, they may be worth a shot :thumbsup:

They hold the t200 well. No problems to report. T100 might also fit, but not the t400.
They are rather fine for the price, having a deep bass and not very recessed mids.

Jun 6, 2019 at 8:27 AM Post #44,991 of 63,946
Because my pair of ZSN Pro was too peaky for my ears, i have try on them also a set of OSTRY tips OS300, the black ones.
They are a bit costly and harder then usual silicone tips, so the personal fit may become a bit more shallow and less stable. Anyway, with them i feel the peaks as tamed, so things like sibilance and splashiness now flow with a sense of smoothness, but at the same time the sound isn't become dull at all. That airy feeling and those fuller voices over the previous ZSN are still there.

Not for everyone, but those internal filters seam to work well with IEMs with elevated treble.

Jun 6, 2019 at 8:51 AM Post #44,992 of 63,946
I thoroughly enjoy my CCA C16! :)
Hardly, there is a univeral tuning suitable for all tastes and music styles.

Sure kz has their hits and misses. But most of their iems lack a sense of refinement. They are thriving due to their insane multi BA configs and bass. Would you have 5 slices of pizza that taste mediocre or 2 slices that taste like heaven? (Slices are drivers)

On a positive note they certainly are getting better and at a fast rate. With the ZS10 pro and zsn pro coming out.

Personally I don't consider c16 budget anymore. Rather invest in some Kanas pros after saving up if I really had to upgrade, which I won't be doing soon.

But then like you mention hardly there is a universal tuning suitable for all tastes!

Last edited:
Jun 6, 2019 at 9:21 AM Post #44,993 of 63,946
Well ... they're learning ... and they're learning pretty fast here and there.
If you take a closer look at the AS16 you'll see a 3D printed tubing piece that channels the output of the different BAs towards the nozzle. I have no idea what kind of research went into that piece - material, lengths, diameters and shapes of the individual bores - or if they inserted any dampers, most probably not, but at least it looks like they're getting more serious on acoustic tuning now, at least on this first higher end IEM - good signal.
Where I have my gripes with KZ and some other manufacturers it's quality control, or rather the lack thereof. Damn, the treble on my two latest KZs - the ZS7 and the ZSA is the worst of any of my 30+ IEMs - by far. I don't expect those folks to run a thorough acoustic check on any single IEM that leaves their factory but this level of piercing shrillness is just plain inacceptable IMO.

Wait a minute zs7 shrill? Definitely not shrill. maybe funky tonality but definitely not shrill. If you just got them it may be the case. Even mine were. Almost felt like returning them. They will need a long time to smoothen out. I gave my zs7 about two weeks of play time to accept them. 1 month in, 0 sibilance, still a bit peaky, but tolerable. Also you want to maintain a healthy amount of distance between the nozzle and your ears.

Sometimes it makes me think that's the reason I found the as10 to be harsh as well. I might have not given them enough time.

Last edited:
Jun 6, 2019 at 10:22 AM Post #44,995 of 63,946
Personally I think warm bass heavy phones with a smooth laidback character are best for reggae and dub. ZS7(which I don't have), might be a bit too energetic. I dunno. Its all about preferences. I personally would be alright listening to reggae with kanas pro with a bit of bass boost. Also I will always and forever rec KZ ES4 for hip hop and reggae. $12 too. But hey its all about personal preferences. I also fully rec EMX500 earbuds. Will set you back a whole $8-$9 but are so smooth and warm with the biggest stage. Great for reggae if you can get on with an earbud.

BTW, this summer in STL is looking pretty good for reggae. We have The Wailers playing here this month, Ky-Mani Marley next month, and Stephen Marley and Protoje coming in Aug. The wife and I already have our tickets for all of them. :)
Congrats on getting those concert tickets! I'm sure it will be a blast. Thanks for chiming in with your suggestions. I have also played with the EQ settings on the Hiby app on my phone, and have obtained really good results on the ZS10 PRO and my KanasPro. I'd say I enjoy the KZ more with Reggae than the Moondrop though, as there's a bit more overall warmth with that sound signature. The KanasPro has great low end sub bass but even with EQ there's just not enough mid bass warmth to satisfy me. Usually I'm in love with the KPE for most everything I listen to, but on Reggae it's just not as satisfying. That's not to say it's not good, just that i prefer a bit more of that warm thumpy stuff that Reggae is known for. Is the KZ ES4 an iem or a bud? I don't do earbuds cause I don't like how they just hang out the ears. I need something with a good fit that I can wear over ear to help them stay in my ears

Jun 6, 2019 at 10:32 AM Post #44,996 of 63,946
Which headphone amp did you think would be better for KZ's sound signature?

Liquid Spark measurements:
https://www.audiosciencereview.com/...of-monoprice-liquid-spark-headphone-amp.5224/

JDS Atom measurements:
https://www.audiosciencereview.com/...ents-of-new-jds-labs-atom-headphone-amp.5262/
I haven't heard either of them, I'm just going on what I've read or watched on YouTube about the two. Zreviews compared both, and said they are both very close, and if he had to say, he thought the Liquid Spark had a bit more warmth to the sound compared to the Atom. Personally, I like the Spark better overall, just based on the build quality. The Atom, with it's plastic case, looks cheap. If JDS changed out the case for something made from metal, I might be more interested in it.

Jun 6, 2019 at 10:34 AM Post #44,997 of 63,946
Sure kz has their hits and misses. But most of their iems lack a sense of refinement. They are thriving due to their insane multi BA configs and bass. Would you have 5 slices of pizza that taste mediocre or 2 slices that taste like heaven? (Slices are drivers)

On a positive note they certainly are getting better and at a fast rate. With the ZS10 pro and zsn pro coming out.

Personally I don't consider c16 budget anymore. Rather invest in some Kanas pros after saving up if I really had to upgrade, which I won't be doing soon.

But then like you mention hardly there is a universal tuning suitable for all tastes!
Tastes are different, exactly.
I really like BAs compared to DDs and perhaps less refined KZ BAs sound great for me for strings in classical. Not perfect but much closer to live performance when you hear the bow making a sound.

More drivers worked more or less for KZ/CCA since AS10, in my opinion.

I am eagerly awaiting CCA A10 :) :)

Jun 6, 2019 at 10:47 AM Post #44,998 of 63,946
Tastes are different, exactly.
I really like BAs compared to DDs and perhaps less refined KZ BAs sound great for me for strings in classical. Not perfect but much closer to live performance when you hear the bow making a sound.

More drivers worked more or less for KZ/CCA since AS10, in my opinion.

I am eagerly awaiting CCA A10 :) :)

Same here hope the a10 turns out to be a more balanced as10. :ksc75smile: and there are less sssnakes in the treble region

Last edited:
Jun 6, 2019 at 10:56 AM Post #44,999 of 63,946
Same here hope the a10 turns out to be a more balanced as10. :ksc75smile:
Since I love my AS10 - any changes are welcome :) :)
I also ordered TRN X6 for a comparison...

Jun 6, 2019 at 11:00 AM Post #45,000 of 63,946
I also ordered TRN X6 for a comparison...

I will be interested in your thoughts after you give it some time. Such mixed reactions. I love it.... but I also love others...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back