Knowledge Zenith (KZ) impressions thread
Mar 11, 2019 at 2:36 PM Post #42,436 of 64,392
Holy Heaven!
I've just received a pair of 2nd generation KZ ZSN and I can totally say that the KZ ZS7 are better, noticeable better. The KZ ZSN have even slightly annoying highs/treble. I've bought them as a gift to a friend and also because they are so famous here and wanted to try them out, but I'm glad I purchased for myself the KZ ZS7 because I can say there's a clear big difference between the two. If you can go for the KZ ZS7, just go for them. The ZSN have the professional look and quality, may be they are more ergonomic and comfortable for some people, but in terms of sound I just got a little upset. I was expecting a very similar sound quality to the KZ7, almost unnoticeable difference; sad but true, they sound worse.
I nabbed the ZSNs as a "I want to try out IEMs, see if they work better for me than earbuds, and I might as well get a pair that might even sound pretty good too" experiment. Had no complaints about them, though while I didn't find the treble annoying it did feel kinda' like it was compensating for having stretched not-quite-enough-treble to cover everything. Like the audio equivalent of someone relying a bit too hard on Photoshop's sharpen tool to compensate for a slightly blurry image. By the time my ZSN arrived the CCA C10 reviews were rolling in and I ended up getting that and being similarly satisfied with a similar opinion. :p The ZS7s were tempting, but they were a bit over twice the cost of the C10s and since the ZSNs were "good enough" for me I decided to go for the cheaper of the options. Still, for what I paid for the ZSNs they are awesome and and I've no real regrets for having gotten them.

Mar 11, 2019 at 3:35 PM Post #42,437 of 64,392
Still, for what I paid for the ZSNs they are awesome and and I've no real regrets for having gotten them.

I have no regrets having gotten two pairs. I think they sound great and I really don't care if someone else does not. We all hear differently anyway.

Mar 11, 2019 at 3:44 PM Post #42,438 of 64,392
I have no regrets having gotten two pairs. I think they sound great and I really don't care if someone else does not. We all hear differently anyway.

Amen MB:wink: Not too mention even some of my iem's (got a pair or two you know) can sound different on any given day:stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye: I do love when people are dead set on an <$20 sounding bad (to them) or less than their favorite and want to go on and on about it:stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye: By the way I just ordered a nice black 16 core for my BA10's, who on earth would buy a cable that cost half as much as the iem:scream: I think my :scream_cat: even thinks I'm crazy:grin:

Mar 11, 2019 at 3:46 PM Post #42,439 of 64,392
Amen MB:wink: Not too mention even some of my iem's (got a pair or two you know) can sound different on any given day:stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye: I do love when people are dead set on an <$20 sounding bad (to them) or less than their favorite and want to go on and on about it:stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye: By the way I just ordered a nice black 16 core for my BA10's, who on earth would buy a cable that cost half as much as the iem:scream: I think my :scream_cat: even thinks I'm crazy:grin:

The balanced cable that I have for my cyan ZSN cost as much as the ZSN... in fact I might have been a dollar more.

Mar 11, 2019 at 3:49 PM Post #42,440 of 64,392
The balanced cable that I have for my cyan ZSN cost as much as the ZSN... in fact I might have been a dollar more.
Speaking of, any feedback on whether it'd be prudent to order a balanced 2-pin cable to use with the Opus#1 for the growing KZ collection? If the output via SE is more than adequate, I'll try to save a little, but was curious what impressions you had.

Mar 11, 2019 at 3:54 PM Post #42,441 of 64,392

Yeah, I got 2.5 to .75 two pin. Cable was $34 so a little less than half the $76 I paid for my BA10's but I find them very complimentary of each other:beerchug:

Mar 11, 2019 at 4:19 PM Post #42,442 of 64,392

Totally agree.

I can’t think of a single IEM that’s better for the same price I paid for my ZSNs ($12). Especially one that has the same build quality, 2 sets of nice tips, and a really nice (removable) copper braided cable.

MH755 is a possible candidate, but it needs a recable mod and the build quality is nothing like the ZSN.

C4108456-6DE1-465C-8DD9-8D32FE93238A.jpeg

Last edited:
Mar 11, 2019 at 5:48 PM Post #42,443 of 64,392
Woah, what a visceral experience. This might not be of much use to those who don't listen to electronic music, specifically Drum & Bass, but I've been playing Camo & Krooked's Cross the Line with the ZS7/E12a/A45 combo and I'm having trouble staying still at the desk. Such clean, powerful, steady basslines. Usually this album comes across as muddy and lifeless, but there's something magical happening between my ears right now.

Also seem to have identified a new torture track for headphones. If they can stay coherent on this song, I think you've got a worthy pair. The ZS7 are worthy:

Yes, this is a very un-DnB track. The album as a whole tends to cross genres quite a bit. This is, after all, the duo that I watched break into Mr. Oizo's Flat Beat right after a whole mess of Neurofunk tracks.

Mar 11, 2019 at 9:16 PM Post #42,444 of 64,392
Half the team uses KZ now. The others are hopelessly bound to their Airpods and will probably never transcend. Can't win 'em all.
Have you tried giving earbuds to Airpods users? I find they drop the Apple-only shield more readily when given earphones that look like from 1980s; they're just humouring me. But when their eyeballs nearly pop their sockets - that's another new convert. The earbud forum will have some effective and cheap recommendations :)

Mar 12, 2019 at 12:45 AM Post #42,445 of 64,392
imo ZSN fits more on DNB, on high vocals or electric guitar zsn treble is slightly overwhelming, like the zs6 harsh peaks but on a lower freq, its just a very energetic sounding earphone

Last edited:
Mar 12, 2019 at 5:31 AM Post #42,446 of 64,392
imo ZSN fits more on DNB, on high vocals or electric guitar zsn treble is slightly overwhelming, like the zs6 harsh peaks but on a lower freq, its just a very energetic sounding earphone

You can always dampen the peaks with foam tips, or the ZST foam mod.

Mar 12, 2019 at 6:06 AM Post #42,447 of 64,392
You can always dampen the peaks with foam tips, or the ZST foam mod.
ik, i used to but it ruins the zsn signature sound and it sounded weird, thats why i switched back to silicone, its about tradeoffs by this point

Mar 12, 2019 at 6:28 AM Post #42,448 of 64,392
ik, i used to but it ruins the zsn signature sound and it sounded weird, thats why i switched back to silicone, its about tradeoffs by this point

Yup, everything comes with trade offs.

You could also try a higher resistance cable (check @hakuzen’s cable database), or an impedance adapter. That will also tone down the treble.

And of course there’s always EQ.

Mar 12, 2019 at 8:12 AM Post #42,449 of 64,392
HAHA. My favorite part about ZSN is the insane energy. Punk and Metal guitars are all up in your face, and the lowend is tight and fast. Makes me want to air guitar like a mofo. Totally get what your saying though. You can smoothen them out with eq, but I like them the way they are.

Mar 12, 2019 at 8:23 AM Post #42,450 of 64,392
HAHA. My favorite part about ZSN is the insane energy. Punk and Metal guitars are all up in your face, and the lowend is tight and fast. Makes me want to air guitar like a mofo. Totally get what your saying though. You can smoothen them out with eq, but I like them the way they are.
yeah thats why i havent sold them, zsn is one of those earphone which only says "yes or no". its either no impact or too much impact (adrenaline rush for no reason rolf)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back