Knowledge Zenith (KZ) impressions thread
Mar 12, 2019 at 8:57 AM Post #42,451 of 64,394
ik, i used to but it ruins the zsn signature sound and it sounded weird, thats why i switched back to silicone, its about tradeoffs by this point

just EQ down at 2.5-3khz and youre all set buddy

Mar 12, 2019 at 9:54 AM Post #42,452 of 64,394
just EQ down at 2.5-3khz and youre all set buddy

Another option would be to install some red KZ nylon filters. They can be stuck right on top of the existing ZSN stainless nozzle filter.

They knock down that exact frequency range a couple of dBs. Should be the perfect amount.

https://www.head-fi.org/threads/kno...essions-thread.698148/page-1932#post-14097059

The filters come installed on EDR1 and EDR2 ($3 pair) among other KZ models such as the ZS3. And on all 3 of those models, it’s actually beneficial to remove the red filters and run with normal stainless mesh filters. So basically you have leftover red nylon filters that you can use on other earphones. I save them on a scrap of non-stick wax paper (for cooking/baking). They stay sticky and in perfect condition, ready to use when I need them.

Last edited:
Mar 12, 2019 at 12:31 PM Post #42,453 of 64,394
Another option would be to install some red KZ nylon filters. They can be stuck right on top of the existing ZSN stainless nozzle filter.

They knock down that exact frequency range a couple of dBs. Should be the perfect amount.

https://www.head-fi.org/threads/kno...essions-thread.698148/page-1932#post-14097059

The filters come installed on EDR1 and EDR2 ($3 pair) among other KZ models such as the ZS3. And on all 3 of those models, it’s actually beneficial to remove the red filters and run with normal stainless mesh filters. So basically you have leftover red nylon filters that you can use on other earphones. I save them on a scrap of non-stick wax paper (for cooking/baking). They stay sticky and in perfect condition, ready to use when I need them.
welp **** me i guess, i ripped them off my ES4 and threw it away and i gave away both of my HD9's
and im low on cash right now, great combination *sigh*

Last edited:
Mar 12, 2019 at 1:20 PM Post #42,454 of 64,394
Amen MB:wink: Not too mention even some of my iem's (got a pair or two you know) can sound different on any given day:stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye: I do love when people are dead set on an <$20 sounding bad (to them) or less than their favorite and want to go on and on about it:stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye: By the way I just ordered a nice black 16 core for my BA10's, who on earth would buy a cable that cost half as much as the iem:scream: I think my :scream_cat: even thinks I'm crazy:grin:

How do you like those BA10's, Pod?

Mar 12, 2019 at 1:42 PM Post #42,455 of 64,394
I like them and am now waiting on the ZS7's to get hear so I can compare them to the BA10's, you know I got some big old ears and to get a little extra length on my tips I cut some collars out of an old small pair of Auvio's like I did with my HQ12's and perfect. Different than my ZS6's but not twice the SQ IMO, they are really smooth and inviting but being a mid's/High's guy I like a little sizzle on the very top end (Pretty much what all the KZ haters dislike):rolling_eyes: I'm afraid with the latest iterations of KZ they will never get to the >$100 iem and I think they are satisfied with selling several bazillion <$75 ones:grin:

Mar 12, 2019 at 1:50 PM Post #42,456 of 64,394
I'm afraid with the latest iterations of KZ they will never get to the >$100 iem and I think they are satisfied with selling several bazillion <$75 ones:grin:

I’m willing to bet the upcoming CCA C20 will break that barrier.

Mar 12, 2019 at 2:08 PM Post #42,457 of 64,394
I’m willing to bet the upcoming CCA C20 will break that barrier.

Well I'll let you test and be the judge on that one buddy as the $76 BA10 was my limit on KZ, too many other brands interest me over the Benji mark and really once we got over $50 the budget luster has faded for me with them. Now you can always send me your (or one of your CCA 20's) and I'll compare that to my Modded ED9's and tell you if I think they are 10 time better:wink: To be really fair I could put Shaky's MMCX Mod and a nice 16 core on them and the gap may be narrowed both ways:stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

Mar 12, 2019 at 2:22 PM Post #42,459 of 64,394
Hi guys,
I happen to be in Shenzhen tomorrow. I wondered if anybody knows a physical store or stores that would sell KZ iems, cables for them and tips. Or Chi-Fi audio gear in general.
Preferably in Huaqiang area.

...oh! And somewhere to buy the Xiaomi Roborock S50 vacuum robot. The Xiaomi flagship store does not sell them (I know I know not related to this site, Sorry).

Thank you.

Mar 12, 2019 at 2:28 PM Post #42,460 of 64,394
My thoughts on the ZS7 are up. Enjoy. :point_right:
https://primeaudio.org/kz-zs7-review/

KZ ZS7 connector ports with plaque.jpg

Mar 12, 2019 at 2:39 PM Post #42,461 of 64,394
Thanks to Slater!
I was able to get the KZ ZS7 by special order in China and they are worth every penny! :handshake: NOTE: The ZS7's target audience is only "outside of China". :thinking:

The ear tips that satisfied me the most on the ZS7 are the medium silicone E-series by Final. Excellent speed, texture, and details! Bass is nicely tamed with a nicer enhanced sub-bass while clarity effortlessly comes through incredibly clean and clear! These are seriously fun and intriguing!...I consider them keepers!

-Clear :beerchug:

Mar 12, 2019 at 3:49 PM Post #42,462 of 64,394
i got an unsolicited (and wholly unexpected) pair of kz zs7 from an ali seller and submit herewith my initial impressions (i'll post a fuller review on otto motor's site):

Soundwise, these are slightly warm, energetic and very spacious-sounding, with a rich note texture. Signature is balanced, in the (technical) sense of not unduly emphasizing a particular frequency, though by no means audiophile flat—there’s a certain adrenalized quality throughout the spectrum, though less so than the hyperfrenzied ZSN. Low end has good extension, depth and impact and shows much better control and speed than the bloomy ZS5 or ZSR, which tended to bleed over into the higher frequencies—midbass in particular has less quantity and focus than the ZS6, resulting in a cleaner presentation. Midrange (especially lower mids) sounds full and forward; guitars and male vocals in particular have a lot of body, albeit with a “chesty,” heavy quality on some material. As noted, treble is noticeably less extended here and these have little of the sharpness and shrillness of the ZS5/ZS6, although the ZS7 rolls off sooner and presents less information (they’re also less exhausting); there’s some sparkle but drums and cymbals lack just a little snap and realism. Soundstage isn’t as wide as the ZS5 or ZSR but nonetheless uncongested, enveloping and 3D; the effect is closer to open-air headphones. As with most KZs, imaging and instrument placement are excellent for this price class. While not seamless, driver coherence is much better on these than the ZS5 or ZSR; bass in particular is better-integrated and there are fewer audible peaks and dips.

Where these trail the pricey universals they’re aping is in the naturalness of the presentation and reproduction of low-level details like fingertips and reverberations--you remain conscious of hearing a reproduction of instruments rather than the actual instruments. Owing, I’d assume to the quality of the drivers used, the subtlest elements are somewhat repressed; compared to something the UE900s, these sound artificially juiced and slightly coarse. These differences may not be cost-effective if, like me, you typically listen to lossy files on less-than-optimal sources, and lots of times one prefers this less delicate presentation. In the same price range, the smaller-sounding Bosshifi B3 or BQEYZ BQ3 may sound more accurate, though the ZS7 is more fun and is a definite step-up from its predecessors. Recommended.

That said, going forward I'd like to see KZ change the formula and move, at least on some models, towards that amorphous higher resolution--as viscerally enjoyable as it is the ZS7 is nonetheless an enhancement of their party-hearty house sound, as opposed to a new tuning; broadly speaking there's not a ton of differentiation between the $50 ZS7 and the $15 ZSN. Maybe that's what they're doing with CCA, which I haven't heard (as an inappropriate aside, my beloved bride, a prolific artist, tends to paint the same face over and over again. she use different mediums and colors, and some are better than others, but it's still the same face). hire different engineers. embrace the unknown. have a good time.

Last edited:
Mar 12, 2019 at 5:23 PM Post #42,463 of 64,394
I'm planning to buy the KZ ZSR because I was looking for under-$30 earphones with the best noise isolation possible. Any other KZ alternatives I should consider preferably with a brighter sound signature?
zs4 isolates like a mofo

Mar 12, 2019 at 6:16 PM Post #42,464 of 64,394

Fantastic info as usual Slater. Did the mod immediately, also on my ED16's which are very enjoyable now. Do you happen to know if these nylon filters can be bought separately?

Mar 12, 2019 at 6:35 PM Post #42,465 of 64,394
Definitely agree with you that they're easy to drive, which is why I was really surprised at his feedback. His source is usually a S9+ which is pretty middle-of-the-road in terms of ability to power equipment. But a monster...yeah, I definitely own up to that. Half the team uses KZ now. The others are hopelessly bound to their Airpods and will probably never transcend. Can't win 'em all.

My s9+ has the worst sq of any phone I've ever owned*. It gets blown away by my little xduoo x2.

Edit: it's not bad. My little x2 keeps up. S9+ isn't the worst phone I've heard...I didn't even get it for music I don't have more than 10 tracks on it. I mostly just listen to streamed podcasts on it. If I needed it for music and had no other means, I'd be ok with it. Sorry for any s9 owners out there possibly offended.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back