Knowledge Zenith (KZ) impressions thread
Mar 6, 2019 at 4:20 PM Post #42,361 of 64,388
Thanks for catching my typo... I did mean ZS. That comparison sounds appealing. I will probably be trying the ZS7. What amp are you using?

Mar 6, 2019 at 4:24 PM Post #42,362 of 64,388
It may be caused by the memory wires. Depending on how they are adjusted, they can 'push' the IEM against your ear slightly, which can lead to irritation.

How you can test this is to detach the cables, and just wear the IEM shells in your ears (with no cable at all). If you don't have any irritation, then that was the cause. If the irritation is still there, then it's something with the shell (like the corner voicemaster sanded down).

You can maybe try different tips (specifically, longer tips like triple flange or SpinFits). This will move the shells away from your ears just enough to where they hopefully wouldn’t rub.
That's actually a really great tip. I'm gonna wear them for a few hours without the cable to check if my ears hurt.

Mar 6, 2019 at 4:38 PM Post #42,363 of 64,388
May be it could be a cable issue? Not making a great connection?

Definitely not charging issue because I've though about that, I was charging my phone indeed, I unplugged it and still happened. It's been about 1h since I don't hear the sparks. It's not a constant buzzing, but like tiny sounds of sparks, randomly sounding.

Could it be a hair that got stuck inside and is touching the dynamic driver? I have had that problem with earbuds and it resulted in really annoying clicky sounds.

Decided to break out the Fiio E12a (Mont Blanc Edition) and Sony NW-A45 to pair with the AS10 today. Such a great combo for the desk. Seems to smooth up the midrange and boost the impact a little bit, which is always a plus. Certainly not as energetic as something like the ZS7, but it's a nice all-day-comfort combo.

I have the same amplifier, I should try it with my KZ/CCA earphones, connected to the X7II.

Mar 6, 2019 at 4:48 PM Post #42,364 of 64,388
Thanks for catching my typo... I did mean ZS. That comparison sounds appealing. I will probably be trying the ZS7. What amp are you using?
I'm usually just running them off headphone power from either a Shanling M0 (rated 80mW@32ohms), Sony A45 (32mW@16ohms), or OnePlus 6 (power spec unknown). They're all capable of driving the ZS7 just fine. Even TRN's BT10 and BT20 can handle powering the ZS7. Very efficient pair.

I have the same amplifier, I should try it with my KZ/CCA earphones, connected to the X7II.
Difference probably won't be as big as I'm perceiving considering the extra power you're getting from the X7II (200mW@16ohms). If you've got it on hand, though, definitely worth giving it a shot.

Mar 6, 2019 at 4:58 PM Post #42,365 of 64,388
Guys, my left ZS7 is doing noises, like tiny "electric sparks" noises. My right one is not doing that. Just happened, or noticed, today. Have any of you experienced that?
I've just tried 2 pairs of headphones and they don't behave like that. It's just the KZ ZS7 left headphone.

I experienced and wrote about something similar in my, um, contrarian review here https://www.head-fi.org/showcase/review/21545/

Mar 6, 2019 at 5:35 PM Post #42,366 of 64,388
Zs7 for me and I have both. Not saying it01 bad or anything.

Well, the answer depends.

I like the bass and treble of the IT01, but the mods on the ZS7.

I like the build quality of the ZS7, but the comfort of the IT01.

The ZS7 is easier to drive from anything, whereas the IT01 benefits more from more power.

The ZS7 is almost 1/3 the cost of the IT01.

The stock cable that comes with the IT01 is freaking amazing, whereas the ZS7 stock cable is ‘just ok’.

So if someone was on an a tighter budget, the ZS7 for sure. Heck, if they only had $100 to spend, you could get the ZS7+Upgrade cable +cheap ChiFi DAP for the exact same price as the IT01 by itself.

The fact that the Reddit Andromeda owner was very impressed with the ZS7 says a lot. If you want to know how exact words, I posted the link to his Reddit post.

That’s why I say it depends.

If I was stranded on a desert island, I would be completely happy with either. If I was forced to take 1, I guess I’d take the IT01 if only for the cable haha. Otherwise, I’d have to flip a coin!

Also, please note that my IT01 are modded. I peeled off the black filter layer on the nozzle mesh, and I’m only using a single layer stainless mesh.

Interesting. I have sworn off cheap IEMs this year, but it looks as if I will be ordering a ZS7 here during anniversary sale. I knew it couldn't last.

Mar 6, 2019 at 6:40 PM Post #42,367 of 64,388
Yeah, I'd say this works pretty well for the office. My boss noticed; thought he'd get mad, but he wanted to know how to get the same thing for himself.

I think I've created a monster...

IMG_20190306_153759.jpg

Last edited:
Mar 6, 2019 at 9:46 PM Post #42,368 of 64,388
Yeah, I'd say this works pretty well for the office. My boss noticed; thought he'd get mad, but he wanted to know how to get the same thing for himself.
IMHO, I find the biggest SQ benefits amping CCA C16 and KZ AS06 than KZ AS10. From unamped Hidizs AP80 or Benjie X3 to amped with an old taobao-bought A47 amplifier board is quite an eye(ear)-opener! Not sure how much the amp board kicks out, I vaguely remember 200+ mW at low impedance (can't remember per channel or combined). Personally, with KZ AS10, I find the amped bass overwhelms other areas, I prefer it with just the AP80. But for thumping bass slam, an amped CCA C16 is hard to beat. Not my thing, and makes me nausea! No EQ applied.

Last edited:
Mar 6, 2019 at 10:18 PM Post #42,369 of 64,388
Well, the answer is ‘it depends’.

I like the bass and treble of the IT01, but the mids on the ZS7.

I like the build quality of the ZS7, but the comfort of the IT01.

The ZS7 is easier to drive from anything, whereas the IT01 benefits more from more power.

The ZS7 is almost 1/3 the cost of the IT01.

The stock cable that comes with the IT01 is freaking amazing, whereas the ZS7 stock cable is ‘just ok’.

So if someone was on an a tighter budget, the ZS7 for sure. Heck, if they only had $100 to spend, you could get the ZS7+Upgrade cable +cheap ChiFi DAP for the exact same price as the IT01 by itself.

The fact that the Reddit Andromeda owner was very impressed with the ZS7 says a lot. If you want to know his exact words, I posted the link to his Reddit post.

That’s why I say ‘it depends’.

If I was stranded on a desert island, I would be completely happy with either. If I was forced to take 1, I guess I’d take the IT01 if only for the cable haha. Otherwise, I’d have to flip a coin!

Also, please note that my IT01 are modded. I peeled off the black filter layer on the nozzle mesh, and I’m only using a single layer stainless mesh.

What is the purpose of that mod? Is it a foam piece that you are removing? Is the stainless mesh easy to stick back on??? I love my IT01 and would be scared to tweak it.

Am intersted in kZ7. Although the fit of the KZ5 bothered me for weeks (real pain!!! No pain no game!!!)
I soon got use to it and adore its soundstage, and the fit as well...Like shoes, you need break in :D

Mar 6, 2019 at 10:37 PM Post #42,370 of 64,388
Yes, it’s on my to do list. I’m also planning some CCA reviews as soon as they arrive.

In the mean time, there’s a number of ZS7 reviews:

https://www.head-fi.org/showcase/kz-zs7-knowledge-zenith.23485/reviews#review-21447

https://www.ramenaudio.com/2019/02/kz-zs7-review-more-good-stuff-from-kz.html?m=1

https://www.head-fi.org/threads/kno...essions-thread.698148/page-2725#post-14721332

@TechnoidFR posted a video review, but it’s in French and wasn’t sure if you spoke French or not.

Thanks !
I love them ! One of the best choice under 50$ !

Mar 7, 2019 at 12:26 AM Post #42,371 of 64,388
Interesting. I have sworn off cheap IEMs this year, but it looks as if I will be ordering a ZS7 here during anniversary sale. I knew it couldn't last.

Have you thought about the C16 instead? Supposedly that is the bees knees.

Mar 7, 2019 at 12:31 AM Post #42,372 of 64,388
Well, I’m flattered, but you should really take my opinion with the same grain of salt as the next person’s! Remember, we all have different ear shapes/sizes, different sound preferences. I may like something that someone else hates. Everyone’s opinion counts (unless they’re just a paid shill).

With that said, my opinion on the ZS7 doesn’t require waiting for my review. It’s an excellent IEM. It’s one of my top favorite IEMs, and is my daily driver.

Be aware that I don’t personally own other popular IEMs like ZS10, AS10, BA10, DM6, DMG, Kanas Pro, IT01S, C10, C16, etc. some of those could be better than the ZS7. Everything I own is always in my profile.

And you still would want to figure out if the signature of the ZS7 is what you like. For example, if you listen to classical music and want a pancake-flat neutral tune, that’s not the ZS7. But if you like a shallow U shape with a clean detailed sound (and great treble without being harsh or peaky like the ZS6), you’re going to have a hard time finding something better than the ZS7 at the asking price.
I actually love the Zs6 sound. Clear and clean I love it so I already ordered the ZS7 because I think it's a Worthy upgrade after the Zs6

Mar 7, 2019 at 12:50 AM Post #42,373 of 64,388

Mine's somewhere in the mail system. Should be able receive it in another 10 days or so.

But this will probably be one purchase for quite some time yet. I am already very happy with the AS10 and the ZS7 as they are.

Mainly because of the very good offer from Aliexpress that is ... :stuck_out_tongue:

(I paid sub-US$80 for mine. )

Mar 7, 2019 at 1:15 AM Post #42,374 of 64,388
I actually love the Zs6 sound. Clear and clean I love it so I already ordered the ZS7 because I think it's a Worthy upgrade after the Zs6

For me they sound different but day better.

Today I don't like zs6. Metallic and overboost treble which miss natural tonality and give more am artificial sound.
It was my favorite but not today. ZS7 is far better

Mar 7, 2019 at 8:20 AM Post #42,375 of 64,388

Yea I have thought about it, but am hesitant to go all BA. I'm a bass head and prefer DD's. ZS7 sounds "exciting".

Seeing as how its currently possible to get a C16 for $85, maybe they will be $70ish soon, and I might get one. We will see.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back