Knowledge Zenith (KZ) impressions thread
Feb 4, 2019 at 4:50 PM Post #41,521 of 63,936
Got me a second pair of ZS7 being that the first one didn't had the capacitor soldered right, checked and everything is wired correctly on this set. Everyone praise these to be an improved ZS6 which I don't think it is, this is a different IEM. To me the vocals sound shouty and artificial, overall sound is pretty congested and inferior to ZS6. No matter how much EQ I try to apply I just can't seem to get them to sound right. Bass is the only part that is better. Sure, the ZS6 is painful to listen as default, but with some EQ they reach a level ZS7 is not capable of no matter how much I try. I find ZS7 maybe just slightly above average in the $50 price bracket, ok to listen but not 5 star IEMs, to give them 5 stars I think is doing a disservice to other IEMs which are better. It seems everything new that can produce sound gets 5 stars nowadays.

Last edited:
Feb 4, 2019 at 5:16 PM Post #41,522 of 63,936
Hey Slater or Panda when you guys swap cables between iems even though they may be the same exact pin size do they eventually loosen and become a PITA?
I’m interested in dabbling in cables and I’m trying to avoid potential problems....I have other cables but I’m afraid of loosening the fitting and have falling iems!

Also is there any basic rules like silver brings out ?? frequencies or copper heghtens or tones down ?? frequencies?
Different cores, like I see 8 core cables and other kinds, how do they change the sound? In general..as I’m sure there probably is little hardcore proof as to how they change sound. IM me if its way off topic here as it is, but I didn’t want to forget my question another week...lol....
Thanks guys

Feb 4, 2019 at 6:37 PM Post #41,523 of 63,936
I notice a difference in silver or copper cables. silver tends to make an iem brighter, copper warms them. I have not really noticed a difference between amounts of cores

Feb 4, 2019 at 6:49 PM Post #41,524 of 63,936
Got me a second pair of ZS7 being that the first one didn't had the capacitor soldered right, checked and everything is wired correctly on this set. Everyone praise these to be an improved ZS6 which I don't think it is, this is a different IEM. To me the vocals sound shouty and artificial, overall sound is pretty congested and inferior to ZS6. No matter how much EQ I try to apply I just can't seem to get them to sound right. Bass is the only part that is better. Sure, the ZS6 is painful to listen as default, but with some EQ they reach a level ZS7 is not capable of no matter how much I try. I find ZS7 maybe just slightly above average in the $50 price bracket, ok to listen but not 5 star IEMs, to give them 5 stars I think is doing a disservice to other IEMs which are better. It seems everything new that can produce sound gets 5 stars nowadays.
It’s a matter of taste. But I’ll get your point. For me the zs7 are enjoyable because they don’t irritate and are great in separate the instruments. In my case the vocals are just fine, a bit forward, but comparable to my Kef ls50 speakers.

Feb 4, 2019 at 6:52 PM Post #41,525 of 63,936

Agree. Spend a few more bucks, get the AS10 and call it a day from KZ.

Feb 4, 2019 at 7:50 PM Post #41,527 of 63,936
I use Amazon and look for prime I can’t stand waiting. I ordered a case for Fiio m6 on AE and its over a month and nothing. Last scan was 1/12 and everybody there is on holiday (which is fine really everybody needs time off) but I’m toast until they decide to read their messages.

Fiio on AE sent my M6 via DHL 5 days before Christmas and I got it on the 24th...but the price was up $30 for rush DHL....

Feb 4, 2019 at 10:32 PM Post #41,529 of 63,936
Hey Slater or Panda when you guys swap cables between iems even though they may be the same exact pin size do they eventually loosen and become a PITA?
I’m interested in dabbling in cables and I’m trying to avoid potential problems....I have other cables but I’m afraid of loosening the fitting and have falling iems!

Also is there any basic rules like silver brings out ?? frequencies or copper heghtens or tones down ?? frequencies?
Different cores, like I see 8 core cables and other kinds, how do they change the sound? In general..as I’m sure there probably is little hardcore proof as to how they change sound. IM me if its way off topic here as it is, but I didn’t want to forget my question another week...lol....
Thanks guys

I’ve only ever noticed a sound difference when cable X has a significant impedance difference than cable Y.

If I have 2 cables of the same impedance, thickness, and they have the same plug ends, but one is silver plated and the other is some fancy single crystal oxygen free copper, I cannot really hear a noticeable difference. But I’m just 1 person, and my ears aren’t a valid piece of scientific measurement equipment.

I personally tend to buy cables based on looks, reduced microphonics, better ear wires, better quality ends, features such as chin slider, etc.

It’s really up to you. No one should think that installing a $30 cable on a $50 or $100 budget IEM sound is going to make it sound like a CA Andromeda.

You can tip roll different tips and get a much more apparent change in sound. Wide bore generally reduces low end and increases sound stage, foam usually improves isolation and lowers treble. So I don’t rely on cables to try and tune or tweak the sound. That doesn’t mean that you can’t use cables with different impedances to do so however!

As far as the loose plugvstuff, in my experience, I’ve found that due to normal manufacturing tolerances some female 2-pin sockets are just loose or tight from the factory. In the case of a loose fitting female socket, I’ve never tried to use 0.78mm cables to make up the difference. I just splay the legs of the pins a tiny amount, or else tin the cable pins with a small coating of solder. In other words, I don’t sweat it too much.

As far as number of wires, I have a personal preference of 8-core cables. I think they look the best, and they are heavy enough to be able to use with NO ear guides at all and still stay in place behind my ears. But I have some nice 4-wire cables too, such as the stock IT01 cable. It uses less wires but they are thicker gauge, so the net effect is the same. I don’t have any experience with 16-wire cables. I don’t plan on buying any though, as I imagine it would be a big PITA in case I ever had to replace a plug or repair the cable. I would MUCH rather solder 4 or 8 wires than 16, but again that’s just personal preference.

I hope that helps!

Last edited:
Feb 4, 2019 at 10:58 PM Post #41,530 of 63,936
I buy based on looks too Slater..& Panda thanks you two for the information!. I’m not looking for any major sound change just curious if there were sort of known or unknown things before I buy a maybe $20 ish cable I’m not fond of the kz stock ones.....they need neck ties and smaller size y split....trn stuff is good and the BQ3 has my favorite.........

Feb 4, 2019 at 11:11 PM Post #41,531 of 63,936
I buy based on looks too Slater..& Panda thanks you two for the information!. I’m not looking for any major sound change just curious if there were sort of known or unknown things before I buy a maybe $20 ish cable I’m not fond of the kz stock ones.....they need neck ties and smaller size y split....trn stuff is good and the BQ3 has my favorite.........

No problem friend.

I like the TRN 8-wire cables, and have a number of them. Great value, looks, quality, etc. There are better cables available, but there are worse cables too. The TRN 4-wire silver plated cable is nice as well. It performs well, and is less bulky than the 8-wire TRN cables.

As far as BQ3, I've always wanted one, but they would be pretty redundant since I have the K2 which sound very similar.

Good luck, and let us know how you like whatever cable you end up buying :wink:

Feb 5, 2019 at 3:15 AM Post #41,533 of 63,936
Agree. Spend a few more bucks, get the AS10 and call it a day from KZ.

I am starting to wonder if I received a rare golden quality ZS7, I think they sound amazing. The great instrument separation, 3D soundstage, deep, powerful, punchy, tight, textured bass and clear sparkly treble (can be slightly harsh at times). Very energetic and fun. The AS10 sounds good, but a bit dark, stronger mids, soundstage is small, much less airy sounding than the ZS7, serious and slightly boring sounding in comparison to the ZS7.

I am using the basic silver KZ balanced cables on a FiiO X7 MK II with wide bore spiral dots, maybe that is making the difference? I noticed the nozzles on the ZS7 are angled forward a lot, maybe this works better for some people and worse for others?

My C10 has been burning in for a bit. It has a wider soundstage than the ZS7 but not 3D. Bass and instrument separation are still much better sounding on the ZS7. Treble on the C10 is smoother and some instruments are more natural sounding.

Oh and I might have ordered the CCA C16 :beyersmile: now I'll have to wait four weeks because of the lunar new year :^|

Feb 5, 2019 at 5:42 AM Post #41,535 of 63,936
My C10s took awhile to settle out but totally worth it....the first week if they weren’t in my ears they were hooked to my tv/hifi system listening to tv.......my tv stays on 24/7 pretty much...so a solid week then just listening each day....clearhead has notes with times it took to change various ways....he is way more patient than I.

C10s are excellent......if you get the 16s enjoy the 10s while the holiday is going on....C16 is really fun for me at least to get lost in the sound. Both feel invisible to me after a few minutes so its fun, fun!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back