Knowledge Zenith (KZ) impressions thread
Feb 5, 2019 at 7:51 AM Post #41,537 of 63,917
I am starting to wonder if I received a rare golden quality ZS7, I think they sound amazing. The great instrument separation, 3D soundstage, deep, powerful, punchy, tight, textured bass and clear sparkly treble (can be slightly harsh at times). Very energetic and fun. The AS10 sounds good, but a bit dark, stronger mids, soundstage is small, much less airy sounding than the ZS7, serious and slightly boring sounding in comparison to the ZS7.

I am using the basic silver KZ balanced cables on a FiiO X7 MK II with wide bore spiral dots, maybe that is making the difference? I noticed the nozzles on the ZS7 are angled forward a lot, maybe this works better for some people and worse for others?

My C10 has been burning in for a bit. It has a wider soundstage than the ZS7 but not 3D. Bass and instrument separation are still much better sounding on the ZS7. Treble on the C10 is smoother and some instruments are more natural sounding.

Oh and I might have ordered the CCA C16 :beyersmile: now I'll have to wait four weeks because of the lunar new year :^|
My zs7 sounds great too. Maybe it’s the Dutch weather :)

Feb 5, 2019 at 8:59 AM Post #41,538 of 63,917
KZ comes from China. If you buy it in US or Europe, it’s still coming from China. You only fill the pockets of Jeff Bezos.
Right on. Holy conversion, Batman. I'm in Canada and can get the AS10 at Ali for $55 CAD compared to $90 CAD at Amazon Canada with free shipping. Both "Ships From China".
A check of the friendly neighborhood Ebay Canada shows around $80 with combined shipping but I had to laugh to see it shipping from California with "First Class package International Service".
Yeah, right.
That translates into, "you'll still get it after waiting for shipping from China".
I'll personally stick to ordering from Ali, which I have much experience with.

Last edited:
Feb 5, 2019 at 10:04 AM Post #41,539 of 63,917
I am starting to wonder if I received a rare golden quality ZS7, I think they sound amazing. The great instrument separation, 3D soundstage, deep, powerful, punchy, tight, textured bass and clear sparkly treble (can be slightly harsh at times). Very energetic and fun.

I agree. One of the best KZs I’ve heard to date.

Mine has no harshness; certainly not compared to other models. Are there particular tracks that you find harsh, so I can take a listen?

I will also say if someone doesn’t like the ZS7, it could be due to many reasons, including:
  • Maybe it’s not their preferred sound signature
  • They could be used to higher end IEMs ($200+)
  • Expectations are too high (its budget ChiFi after all)
  • They may not be using a decent source (mine sound better with my X3+amp vs my iPhone)
  • It could have some QC issue (like a sideways capacitor, 1+ drivers wired out of phase, wire short, etc)
  • Fitment issue, seal issue
Good thing there’s no shortage of choices! What a time to be in the hobby. We’ve come a long way from transistor radios and Gemini/GPX walkmans lol

Last edited:
Feb 5, 2019 at 10:05 AM Post #41,540 of 63,917
To Our Chinese Friends in This Community:

:boom::champagne_glass: Happy Chinese New Year!

Wishing You All Peace, Love, Happiness,
Good Health and Prosperity
in this New Year and Always! :champagne::tada:
Indeed, adding my voice to the congratulations and wishing you a good social credit score in the new year and all the coming ones, too!

Feb 5, 2019 at 11:26 AM Post #41,541 of 63,917
I'll keep on burning in and testing my C10's. It seems the soundstage has already widened on them. I am really looking forward to the C16 (and the **** as well).

Feb 5, 2019 at 11:38 AM Post #41,542 of 63,917
I agree. One of the best KZs I’ve heard to date.

Mine has no harshness; certainly not compared to other models. Are there particular tracks that you find harsh, so I can take a listen?

I will also say if someone doesn’t like the ZS7, it could be due to many reasons, including:
  • Maybe it’s not their preferred sound signature
  • They could be used to higher end IEMs ($200+)
  • Expectations are too high (its budget ChiFi after all)
  • They may not be using a decent source (mine sound better with my X3+amp vs my iPhone)
  • It could have some QC issue (like a sideways capacitor, 1+ drivers wired out of phase, wire short, etc)
  • Fitment issue, seal issue
Good thing there’s no shortage of choices! What a time to be in the hobby. We’ve come a long way from transistor radios and Gemini/GPX walkmans lol

Sorry, for the double-post, I apparently didn't refresh my browser.

I'll keep an ear out for something that sounds slightly harsh compared to on my other earphones, or maybe the others I have are just too rolled off. Though listening to them right now, they might have already tamed a little bit since I've left them running all night last night.

Indeed, don't expect top of the line with cheap earphones that relatively offer a lot, and QC will be variable at these prices. I really like the ZS7 for what they are.
Yes, a good source, good quality music and good tips are important.

I love that we have so many interesting options to compare at these low prices.

Feb 5, 2019 at 11:47 AM Post #41,543 of 63,917
I am thinning the herd so anyone interested in some KZ models and located in the US or Canada contact me. For sale thread is in my sig. I have some other non-KZ stuff for sale too. Package deals and freebies available.

Feb 5, 2019 at 5:11 PM Post #41,545 of 63,917
What's the relationship between the companies KZ and CCA? I read in passing here that they are sister companies. Any more details about that?

Anyway, just ordered a CCA C10 and CCA C16. This mirrors my earlier purchase of KZ ZSN (hybrid, like C10) and KZ AS06 (BA only, like C16).
I liked the AS06 paired with my amped DAP. Has decent timbre & resolve across the FR, though a bit too much on 5k-6k sibilant frequencies for my taste.
Hoping the CCAs will impress on a bigger scale for their higher price range.

Last edited:
Feb 5, 2019 at 6:36 PM Post #41,546 of 63,917
I'm in Canada and can get the AS10 at Ali for $55 CAD compared to $90 CAD at Amazon Canada with free shipping. Both "Ships From China".
A check of the friendly neighborhood Ebay Canada shows around $80 with combined shipping but I had to laugh to see it shipping from California with "First Class package International Service".
That translates into, "you'll still get it after waiting for shipping from China". I'll personally stick to ordering from Ali, which I have much experience with.
I got 'screwed' on an order from Gearbest. I thought it was Canadian pricing, but nope, it was US. I paid $5 more for a KZ ZS4 than I would have on Aliexpress. I don't even like it. The fit is terrible (feels like someones fingers are in my ears) and the sound mediocre (with minor burn in).

Last edited:
Feb 5, 2019 at 7:08 PM Post #41,547 of 63,917
If someone just listens to CD rips does buying expensive earphones negate a waste of money?

People keep pushing the newest earphones from KZ but what if the majority of people aren't listening to high quality music files? Will they be wasting their money when a KZ ZSN or whatever could be good enough?

Last edited:
Feb 5, 2019 at 7:23 PM Post #41,548 of 63,917
If someone just listens to CD rips does buying expensive earphones negate a waste of money?

People keep pushing the newest earphones from KZ but what if the majority of people aren't listening to high quality music files? Will they be wasting their money when a KZ ZSN or whatever could be good enough?

That's a personal decision between you and audio god. Most people are fine with the earphones that come with their phones or cheap skull candies ect. They just enjoy the music with whatever they have. Only those of us that have taken the "Red Pill" are awakened to realize that we will never be happy unless we spend an endless amount of money on things that generally all sound pretty much the same.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back