Knowledge Zenith (KZ) impressions thread
Feb 3, 2019 at 7:27 PM Post #41,507 of 63,914
Hola everyone! I'm strictly hit and run these days, so my apologies for the combined posts.

Wow, you seem really happy with the CCA C10; given the price it may be a good option, too. How would you compare it to the AS10 though, in case you listened to both?

Don't sell your LG V30 Plus short. It's one of the best sources that you can have for your C16.

Here's androidauthority on its audio capabilities:

https://www.androidauthority.com/lg-v30-audio-797447/

About 5 months ago amirm over at audiosciencereview reviewed and measured the audio performance of the V30+'s more recent incarnation, the G7 ThinQ which uses the same ESS Technology ES9218P Quad DAC chipset as the V30+. He was suitably impressed and recommended it:

https://www.audiosciencereview.com/...o-measurement-of-lg-g7-thinq-smartphone.4468/

TechnoidFR may be right, though. The only new phone that might stand toe-to-toe with, or perhaps even better LG's quad dac audio implementaton is the Vivo NEX S with the Cirrus Logic CS43199 DAC chipset (the regular Vivo NEX A has the AKM AK4376 DAC chipset):

http://eng.soomal.com/edoc/10100000237.htm

On the other hand, perhaps when you were listening you didn’t ensure that the LG V30+’s high-impedance or “HI-Fi Quad Dac mode” was enabled..? This might help (works on V30+):

https://www.head-fi.org/threads/lg-v20-sound-quality.816024/page-175#post-13534071

Anyway, despite inherent Android limitations, and its own headphone impedance-power output quirks, your LG V30+ is one heck of a truly great-sounding HI-Fi audio source for your C16 or for any headphone.

Yes, the KZ ZS7 is what you want. You cannot resist it. It's calling to you, in your sleep, in your daydreams... telling you Get Me! And thus you're bound to KZ and the KZ Impressions thread. :ksc75smile:

Well, at least for the next couple of months.

But if you're in the US and would love an upgrade and a bargain, the Simgot EN700 Pro is currently selling for only $105.99 at Amazon. It used to be $145.99 and is listed in AliExpress for that amount. Also available at Musicteck for $119 (before $149.99). My husband's favorite for its unique aesthetics, outstanding build quality and balanced, detailed yet smooth listen-for-hours sound, despite the fact that his $199 Simgot EM3 is just better in almost every other department. Rated 4.5-5 Stars at its $145.99 listed price by many of our favorite (that word again) reviewers, including KZ fan B9Scrambler. Here's a 5-star review:

https://www.head-fi.org/showcase/simgot-en700-pro.22692/reviews?page=2#review-19294

Without reaching for calipers or knowing any brand names, here's a convenient rule of thumb: any ear tip whose opening is just slightly smaller or at least equal to the IEM nozzle opening is wide-bore; any ear tip whose opening is about the same or smaller than approximately half the nozzle opening is small-bore; and of course any ear tip whose opening falls in-between would be medium-bore. :smile_phones:

+2. The CCA C10 is a balanced, sub-$30 hybrid that is the serious upgrade to the ZSN. It would pair ideally with the slightly warm Cayin N3. I should know because it’s my pairing and I’m happy as a kid in a candy store. And never you mind this “BAs are fragile” bit. Unless you intentionally drop them or use them for bolas practice they’d be fine.
:kissing_heart: :smile_phones:

Feb 3, 2019 at 7:43 PM Post #41,508 of 63,914
The Hidizs Sonata HD has about the same size as a stock USB/3.5mm converter. The Tempotec Sonata HD is almost the same, but often cheaper to get (<$25).
Since I don't own this phone, I can't say if it's worth to use an external DAC, but I think this is the smallest/cheapest of them with good reviews.

Thanks just ordered the Hidizs Sonata HD, $28 on Ali Express atm

Feb 3, 2019 at 8:09 PM Post #41,509 of 63,914
It seems like it would be a good fit :) ZS7 is still not listed in Gearbest I wonder why. I was reading about unsoldered wires on some of the units as well.Is it safe to purchase ZS7 from Aliexpress now?

Im actually willing to pay up to $250 for a great pair of earphones but I havent had time to research. I'll try to read a little more this week on iBasso and Massdrops which were highy reccommended.

The wire issue has been resolved. It is a normal part of the design, and there is no cause for alarm.

2 of the BA drivers are wired in series, and because of this 2 of the wires are connected to one another.

Feb 3, 2019 at 9:38 PM Post #41,510 of 63,914
Good point. I keep forgetting about EP10.

It’s too bad it doesn’t get talked about much. There’s just so many different options nowadays; it’s mind boggling.

Anyways, you’re right the EP10 would meet the signature he’s describing. It’s built like an army tank, comfortable to wear, nice cable, included carry case.

My only complaint is the short nozzles, which wouldn’t give me a deep enough seal and a secure enzough fit. But that is an individual thing that may not affect most people. Nothing some Spinfits, along with keyboard orings couldn’t fix. Now it’s perfect.
I got 2 pairs of the EP10 and i can't really understand.
Both pairs have the left earbud that sounds way better than the right one, which sounds loose, like a bad source, bad bass..
Plus, i can't really find a good fit for them.. seriously dunno what to do.

Feb 3, 2019 at 10:10 PM Post #41,511 of 63,914
I got 2 pairs of the EP10 and i can't really understand.
Both pairs have the left earbud that sounds way better than the right one, which sounds loose, like a bad source, bad bass..
Plus, i can't really find a good fit for them.. seriously dunno what to do.

Well, I wasn’t really getting a good fit either. The SpinFit+keyboard oring fixed all of my fit issues.

As far as the poor sound, that sucks especially with the same problem on 2 sets! Have you tried contacting NiceHCK? I’m sure they’ll stand behind it, since it’s one of their own in-house products.

Feb 3, 2019 at 10:52 PM Post #41,512 of 63,914
Thanks just ordered the Hidizs Sonata HD, $28 on Ali Express atm
Same phone, Mate 20 Pro. I use the Sonata HD as well, just remember to flash it to Music D if you are going to use 24/96 files. That'll remove microphone usage, but pause and play button will still work.

Feb 4, 2019 at 12:18 AM Post #41,514 of 63,914
Feb 4, 2019 at 1:43 AM Post #41,515 of 63,914
Feb 4, 2019 at 2:07 AM Post #41,517 of 63,914
What's the best option listening to the ZSNs via a USB c port only phone? (Mate 20 PRO)

USB replacement cable https://m.gearbest.com/headphone-accessories/pp_009148295640.html

Stock Huawei USB to 3.5mm converter

Buy a cheap DAC (Least favoured option due to bulk/convenience) https://www.amazon.co.uk/Cyrus-Soundkey-DAC-Headphone-Amplifier-Gaming/dp/B07C6XL4JC/ref=mp_s_a_1_6?ie=UTF8&qid=1549205841&sr=8-6&pi=AC_SX236_SY340_FMwebp_QL65&keywords=cyrus+soundkey&dpPl=1&dpID=31PwrNjy5AL&ref=plSrch&th=1&psc=1

The Apple USB-C to 3.5mm jack dongle has incredible measured performance and is pretty cheap.

Feb 4, 2019 at 5:41 AM Post #41,518 of 63,914
Well, I wasn’t really getting a good fit either. The SpinFit+keyboard oring fixed all of my fit issues.

As far as the poor sound, that sucks especially with the same problem on 2 sets! Have you tried contacting NiceHCK? I’m sure they’ll stand behind it, since it’s one of their own in-house products.
Yes. Jim from NiceHCK helped me and they're very good in serving their customers.
He sent me another pair after the first one was faulty from the fukubukuro.
The new pair had the same problem, and i even requested another colour (maybe it could be a matter of color, chi-fi is always a surprise you know).
Then at the second sample i stopped that, i thanked him for the help but i'm not angry about it.
He tried everything he could do and said that i would have a discount for my next one if bought from them, so they were amazing in terms of customer support.

Feb 4, 2019 at 11:18 AM Post #41,519 of 63,914
After constantly listening to the C16s I’m not sure if they are balanced sounding or neutral sounding....Everything is there and they can get bright, no sibilance, but bright. Low end is there when called for but not excessive......If the C10s are balanced Correct? Then I would say the 16s are leaning toward neutral. I’m still tapping my toe and having fun listening to them. Today I will listen to C10s and listen for differences if any.
I wish I could find the right way to fit my BA10s so I could compare....I ordered some larger spinfits to try..mine are Orange!.....I’m having a blast checking out stuff all over Spotify, looking for newer stuff I like...... :smile_phones:

Last edited:
Feb 4, 2019 at 2:58 PM Post #41,520 of 63,914
I sometimes wish a bunch of us were closer so we could get together and try stuff we don’t have yet. People could hear my iem and vice versa before spending the money. A lot of plane fares would immediately bollocks the idea but I could see our screen names all sitting around a living room groovin on some tunes. Speaking of which check out this coat I found on Posh-mark...different toons,
1A0B0FB3-8002-4A25-A24A-01D7659EDBAC.jpeg
A9F16C8D-FD94-4193-9BEC-99862D16A815.jpeg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back