Knowledge Zenith (KZ) impressions thread
Dec 27, 2018 at 6:33 AM Post #39,946 of 63,957
Someone told me on here that the ZSN silver plated cable was a waste of money. I'm assuming because of how good the purple zsn copper cable is. What do you think?
I own the cyan colorway with the darker cable, not the silver purples, so I've no idea how the lighter cable with the SPs sound. From posts in this thread it sounds like the lighter cable does have a more forward presentation with toned down bass, so in that respect the silver cable would indeed be a waste of money (although it is just 8 bucks). The darker cable that comes with my cyans is bassier with a touch less clarity, moving to the silver cable is a clear upgrade for vocals and treble response. Again, 8 bucks, so why not. We're not talking 100-dollar Silver Dragon cables here, so I'm much more inclined to experiment with KZ cable upgrades since they're so cheap.

Dec 27, 2018 at 6:48 AM Post #39,948 of 63,957

I own the cyan colorway with the darker cable, not the silver purples, so I've no idea how the lighter cable with the SPs sound. From posts in this thread it sounds like the lighter cable does have a more forward presentation with toned down bass, so in that respect the silver cable would indeed be a waste of money (although it is just 8 bucks). The darker cable that comes with my cyans is bassier with a touch less clarity, moving to the silver cable is a clear upgrade for vocals and treble response.

Is the silver plated ZSN cable the same tonality etc as the copper purple ZSN cable and that's why it's a waste of money? You seem to know if this is true or not without owning it.

So if someone buys it, its more for the looks?

Last edited:
Dec 27, 2018 at 7:45 AM Post #39,951 of 63,957

Is the silver plated ZSN cable the same tonality etc as the copper purple ZSN cable and that's why it's a waste of money? You seem to know if this is true or not without owning it.

So if someone buys it, its more for the looks?
Like I just said, there have been discussions in this thread that mentioned the differences between the 2 stock cables. Guys in here have purchased different ZSNs and made comparisons...I forgot exactly who though.

Until I listen to the lighter cable, I won't be able to tell you if switching cables will just be for aesthetics. I can tell you that the darker cable does sound different from the silver one. Even if somebody does switch up cables purely for aesthetics, hey...8 bucks.

Last edited:
Dec 27, 2018 at 9:01 AM Post #39,954 of 63,957
That green ZSR looks sexy even though I'm not sure why green/cyan is such a popular color. I like blue. :wink:

PS: I heard the ZSR sounds like a ED16? Is that true?

I have both, I find them very different:
ZSR have very strong bass & sub (even more than ZS6), slightly recessed voices, rather sibillant trebles, I do like its bass much.
ED16 has smaller size, more sub than bass, that do not bleed on mediums, clear voices not recessed, more details than ZSR, trebles softer,
I preffer ED16 because it gives a more detailed sound
For me, both are improved with the KZ thin silver plated cables

Dec 27, 2018 at 11:19 AM Post #39,955 of 63,957
I have both, I find them very different:
ZSR have very strong bass & sub (even more than ZS6), slightly recessed voices, rather sibillant trebles, I do like its bass much.
ED16 has smaller size, more sub than bass, that do not bleed on mediums, clear voices not recessed, more details than ZSR, trebles softer,
I preffer ED16 because it gives a more detailed sound
For me, both are improved with the KZ thin silver plated cables

You think like this :) (Sorry for poor pic quality)

upload_2018-12-27_17-18-8.png

Dec 27, 2018 at 11:26 AM Post #39,956 of 63,957
Someone told me on here that the ZSN silver plated cable was a waste of money. I'm assuming because of how good the purple zsn copper cable is. What do you think?

This is a great way to start grenades flying as two camps exist:
Those who swear cables can be a huge game changer
and
Those who claim that cables causing any change is impossible.

Regardless of where your truth lies, you will find those who are quick to tell you are wrong and others just as quick to defend you. Good luck.

Dec 27, 2018 at 2:48 PM Post #39,957 of 63,957
Still waiting for comparison/impressions about ZS7... AS06 seems no-go for me.

Anyway, guys&girls, before spending around 100$ or above for 3-4 different KZ`s, I recommend You seriously to think about saving and getting something else - Moondrop Kanas Pro, IT01S, DM6, Anew U1, IT01 etc.

Dec 27, 2018 at 3:17 PM Post #39,958 of 63,957
Still waiting for comparison/impressions about ZS7... AS06 seems no-go for me.

Anyway, guys&girls, before spending around 100$ or above for 3-4 different KZ`s, I recommend You seriously to think about saving and getting something else - Moondrop Kanas Pro, IT01S, DM6, Anew U1, IT01 etc.
Why is the AS06 a no go? Is it because of the advice in the next sentence? Why didn't you tell me this months ago? I have 10+ KZ's now.

The Moondrop Kanas Pro is $180USD, The Ibasso IT01 is $340CAN, The S is the newest version? The BGVP DM6 is $200USD. Why would I spend that much? Some of us aren't rich. :wink:

My Zishan Z3 DAP was only $50 USD so those would be four times the cost. I like the KZ's for the affordability. My KZ AS10 was $44USD/$60CAN. That's more affordable than $200USD/$275CAN

Are the more expensive models going to really knock my ears socks off that much?

Last edited:
Dec 27, 2018 at 3:24 PM Post #39,959 of 63,957
This is a great way to start grenades flying as two camps exist:
Those who swear cables can be a huge game changer
and
Those who claim that cables causing any change is impossible.

Regardless of where your truth lies, you will find those who are quick to tell you are wrong and others just as quick to defend you. Good luck.
I bought a bunch of $10 cables and so far my favourite is the KZ 8 core silver plated cable. The TRN 8 core cable is okay but I have a feeling it's not as good. My current gold version doesn't sound as good... (just arrived, no break in).

Dec 27, 2018 at 3:28 PM Post #39,960 of 63,957
I bought a bunch of $10 cables and so far my favourite is the KZ 8 core silver plated cable. The TRN 8 core cable is okay but I have a feeling it's not as good. My current gold version doesn't sound as good... (just arrived, no break in).

Ok, I'm really not sure you can argue cable break in/ burn in is a thing - that is stretching the possible a bit.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back