Knowledge Zenith (KZ) impressions thread
Dec 9, 2018 at 11:53 AM Post #39,301 of 63,836
Just finished my first mod on an old favorite, the ATRs.
IMG_1707.JPG

Dec 9, 2018 at 11:55 AM Post #39,302 of 63,836
Dec 9, 2018 at 12:24 PM Post #39,303 of 63,836
Just finished my first mod on an old favorite, the ATRs.
Nice! Needs some attention to contact points and I personally would do cover with natural oil.

Btw, why didn`t You change that crappy cable?

Dec 9, 2018 at 2:21 PM Post #39,304 of 63,836
No problem. Just Your jokes can be sometimes taken insulting (sarcastic) and provocating into general thread trashing. Sorry if I responded harsh.
I`m just trying to provide my personal experience and information. If something needs clarifying, then I`m open to answering if asked nicely :wink:
I didn't realize I made enough bad jokes to do that. I'll try my best to stay on topic from now on... the best topic, KZ! :p

Dec 9, 2018 at 7:24 PM Post #39,306 of 63,836
i had actually placed, somewhat reluctantly, the zsr atop my kz pantheon (having not heard the as10 or ba10). great energy/stage/imaging. i will acknowledge, however that its high end is somewhat "artificial," a characteristic i've found with most kzs other than the ed9/edr1--it's lively but not stage monitor-accurate. the zsn awaits....

Last edited:
Dec 9, 2018 at 10:31 PM Post #39,308 of 63,836
I got a ZSA & ZSR in the last two months. Also a Type-C cable. I've been lurking here for some time.

I wanted a spare cable for my ZSA. I ordered the grey upgrade cable from GearBest. It worked OK, except the IEMs kept falling out ! I wondered why. When I compared the upgrade cable to the original I saw that the connector of original was much slimmer. I thought that the upgrade cable was 'defective' and asked GearBest to look into it.

Then I compared the upgrade cable with the cable that came with the ZSR. The connectors were identical. Also the connector of the Type-C cable was the same as the upgrade cable.

I examined the ZSA and found it did have a slimmer socket & connector. So no KZ replacement cable will fit it properly.
See attached pic. I'm surprised no one here has mentioned this.

GearBest actually offered me a refund for that order. Feeling a bit guilty since it's not their fault.

Which brings me to this : Why have replaceable cables on the ZSA if there are no replacement cables ? None of the KZ replacement/upgrade cables, Type-C cable or the BT cables can be used. Wonder why KZ did this ?

Dec 9, 2018 at 10:39 PM Post #39,309 of 63,836
GearBest actually offered me a refund for that order. Feeling a bit guilty since it's not their fault.

Which brings me to this : Why have replaceable cables on the ZSA if there are no replacement cables ? None of the KZ replacement/upgrade cables, Type-C cable or the BT cables can be used. Wonder why KZ did this ?

My educated guess?

Some other company made the ZSA for KZ, and screwed up on the cable. KZ may have just specified ‘the cable requires a 0.75mm 2-pin connection’, and the other company was unaware KZ already had a specific A and B cable standard for interchangeability with upgrade cables.

Even the shape of the end, it’s angle, and the cable strain design is different than any other KZ models. The ZSA cable really is a one of a kind cable out of all KZ 2-pin models, which is why it screams ‘made by someone else’ to me.

KZ contracts out the manufacture of many of their IEMs to other ODM companies, especially older models.

Supposedly they now have their own factory, but I don’t know which models they make in it and what its production capacity is. It’s highly likely they still contract out manufacturing to one degree or another.

Last edited:
Dec 9, 2018 at 10:50 PM Post #39,310 of 63,836
It's a shame their USB C cable doesn't fit the ZSA. I brought it and the ES4 with me on my business travels this week. The KZ USB C really wakes the ES4 up. They don't do well with mids on overly compressed modern rock (probably more a function of bad mixing, stupid loudness wars) but the bass and especially highs are fantastic. I wasn't initially a fan of the ES4 but I'm starting to reevaluate...

Dec 9, 2018 at 11:11 PM Post #39,311 of 63,836
This, of course, is even more present when I'm using them with an 8 core TRN cable, which I now regret buying, less so with the stock one. (call me crazy, but I hate the memory plastic thingie around the ear, and I'm considering removing it with a sharp object, on both cables that is).

I removed the ear guides on all of my TRN 8-core cables. It is sooooooo much nicer without the ear guides. I'm jamming with my BQEYZ K2 paired with a TRN 8-core cable as I type this.

The TRN 8-core cables are heavy enough that they don't even need the ear guides. Without the guides, they are softer and infinitely more comfortable (especially when wearing glasses).

You just have to be very careful and go slowly when removing the guides. I use very small and sharp precision micro-sized scissors made for sewing, cut the guide a few mms at a time, and did so under strong light so I could see exactly what I was doing at all times.

I am not responsible if anyone damages their cables from improper ear guide removal.

Last edited:
Dec 9, 2018 at 11:54 PM Post #39,312 of 63,836
I'm having some problems ordering from Penon Audio, it says "Security header not valid." and won't allow me to make an order.

I happened the same when ordering a zs10, I could only use paypal

Just curious, has anyone else had fraudulent charges on the card they tried to use at Penon if they saw this error? I had this error and ended up using paypal after. The very next day I had 5 charges to the card I tired to use, 3 were dietery supplements, 1 to hulu, and 1 to some lottery. I know it was probably just coincidence and the card was probably hacked well before this, but I can't help but think it's possible. The card is only used for a couple of re-occuring monthly charges and Amazon. I did try to order multiple times until I finally used paypal. I know Penon is a reputable seller, in the back of my mind I was thinking their site may have been hacked. Then again, I think this is the 3rd time this has happened with this credit card company in about a year timeframe.

Last edited:
Dec 10, 2018 at 12:01 AM Post #39,313 of 63,836
Just curious, has anyone else had fraudulent charges on the card they tried to use at Penon if they saw this error? I had this error and ended up using paypal after. The very next day I had 5 charges to the card I tired to use, 3 were dietery supplements, 1 to hulu, and 1 to some lottery. I know it was probably just coincidence and the card was probably hacked well before this, but I can't help but think it's possible. The card is only used for a couple of re-occuring monthly charges and Amazon. I did try to order multiple times until I finally used paypal. I know Penon is a reputable seller, in the back of my mind I was thinking their site may have been hacked. Then again, I think this is the 3rd time this has happened with this credit card company in about a year timeframe.

You might get hacked or

That's why I always try to use paypal if it is available, no matter from whichever sites (AE, Gearbest, etc).

Dec 10, 2018 at 12:12 AM Post #39,314 of 63,836
For me, they charged me $ 80 usd on Apple Store, just after trying to buy Penon's audio. Now I am struggling to try to recover my money, sorry for the bad translation that I am Chilean

Last edited:
Dec 10, 2018 at 12:38 AM Post #39,315 of 63,836
For me, they charged me $ 80 usd on Apple Store, just after trying to buy Penon's audio. Now I am struggling to try to recover my money, sorry for the bad translation that I am Chilean
Sorry to hear of your misfortune. I hope you get your money back. Discover card caught it before I did.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back