Knowledge Zenith (KZ) impressions thread
Dec 5, 2018 at 8:00 AM Post #39,031 of 63,921
Copy-pasting my short take @ purple ZSN from another thread:
Wait till "new toy" syndrome is over and then assess ZSN again.

Yes, ZSN does lot things right and better (especially within KZ family) than many others... but... it still has some tiny flaws (at least to me):
- treble (cymbals) decay and tonality is not so "dynamical" as I would wish and it should sound. But this is BA nature and I haven`t yet heard BA capable offering dynamical highs as dynamic drivers.
- frontal soundstage layering and depth could be better as with complex music instruments+vocals+effects it gets somewhat mixed in that area
- missing littlebit weight/naturality in lower highs/higher mids. Some guitars(distorted)/sax sound littlebit lacking natural tonality/weight.

on the other side:
+ bass up to midrange is done pretty good. great balance between mid-bass and sub-bass without muddling lower mids
+ midrange is quite well behaved and not noticeably recessed but with some records, again, misses littlebit natural tonality

overall, KZ has accomplished amazing value IEM 14$ for such SQ? Insane where chi-fi has come.

While I still find IT01 better for sure, I also highly recommend to get ZSN.

ZSN is must have KZ, that I have to agree.

Dec 5, 2018 at 9:14 AM Post #39,032 of 63,921
It all comes down to the personal preferences after all...
:)
And maybe i wouldn't use an eq too...
I've never had my first DAP yet.. but i have used Mi A1 which has an excellent output.. powered by Dirac HD... I loved it..
And that takes me to my question again ...
Best Portable DAP/ Amp under 60 to 80 ?
Why would you need a DAP/Amp if you have a Mi A1? The A1 has a dedicated amplifier and the integrated Qualcomm DAC is completely adequate. The only thing that might be useful would be something like the iFi iEMatch or Ear Buddy to deal with the impedance with sensitive headphones. You'll have an easier time with the UI on the A1 than just about any DAP.

Last edited:
Dec 5, 2018 at 9:23 AM Post #39,033 of 63,921
Why would you need a DAP/Amp if you have a Mi A1? The A1 has a dedicated amplifier and the integrated Qualcomm DAC is completely adequate. The only thing that might be useful would be something like the iFi iEMatch or Ear Buddy to deal with the impedance with sensitive headphones. You'll have an easier time with the UI on the A1 than just about any DAP.
Gave my A1 to my brother..:triportsad:

Dec 5, 2018 at 9:28 AM Post #39,034 of 63,921
I only have a problem with the reasoning behind never using eq.
It makes no sense to me. :p

My reasoning makes sense to me. Take a look at my list and tell me how much time I would need to set the EQ on each of my sources for each of my iems,buds or headphones. Then possibly add in one of my amps. How thick a notebook would I need to keep track of it all? Would there be any time left to enjoy my music? Would I even care at that point?

L A U G H - O U T - L O U D ! ! !

I'd no idea there's another Doc on Head-Fi.

Kind of weirded out about it now, to be candid.

Lol.. when you first appeared I thought you were him, but something seemed off. Finally figured it out.

Dec 5, 2018 at 9:32 AM Post #39,035 of 63,921
Gave my A1 to my brother..:triportsad:
My recommendation would be the cheapest Hibylink-capable DAP you can find. The Hidizs AP60 Pro might be a good option at $90, I'm not sure what else is out there that might be cheaper. I've had a pretty good experience with the AP60II, apart from some issues with the Bluetooth DAC functionality which I think may be a problem with my phone rather than the DAP.

Dec 5, 2018 at 10:40 AM Post #39,037 of 63,921
Have you looked into the Benjie K11? I want to buy one because of how cool it looks.

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/Ori...ni-Portable-Audio-Players-FM/32871619169.html

If you order the K11 let me know how it sounds and what you think of the UI, reminds me of the Redant which is on it's way to me now:scream: Yes Podster (some have said it needs to change to Dapster) has yet another DAP in route:rolling_eyes: Because I simply don't have enough:smirk: MuHaHaHaHa

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/MP3...002.html?spm=a2g0s.9042311.0.0.27424c4dGxN976

@mbwilson111 , are you referring to drblue? Cracking me up @Mellowship :grin:

IMHO some of these high end/dollar DAP's could learn a thing or two from Benjie, oh no he deent just say that:smiling_imp:

Dec 5, 2018 at 11:17 AM Post #39,038 of 63,921
I would go with DX120 ...it`s a crazy little beast for the price it goes :wink: Want one but I`m "stuck" with my DX5X until it dies :D

@DocHoliday I believe I concur with Coil on this one, I've been tempted on many occasions to grab an iBasso myself and wished I'd tried a Zune back in the day! I was really an iPod guy in the beginning and once I decided to start with DAP's I bought the wife the little 128GB Nomad which she loved until she went back to music on her iPhones and my first foray into the DAP world was this:rolling_eyes:

ImgW.ashx

I know don't be a playa hater on me:grimacing: Sure wished I had bought one of these (Zunes) but was afraid to spend that much at the time on uncharted waters for me:fearful:

54c70d369335898577c00cfa6ad86912

Yikes, almost forgot to get Politically Thread correct here! All I can say is "Holy Smokey Robinson" this combo rocks-it:astonished:

Holy Smokey Z Robinson.JPG

Last edited:
Dec 5, 2018 at 11:41 AM Post #39,043 of 63,921

No eq needed.

Hey BRP, I've been curious about the TRN BT modules! What do you think of them? Besides the obvious SQ how would they perform under physical activity? THX

Dec 5, 2018 at 11:41 AM Post #39,044 of 63,921
My reasoning makes sense to me. Take a look at my list and tell me how much time I would need to set the EQ on each of my sources for each of my iems,buds or headphones. Then possibly add in one of my amps. How thick a notebook would I need to keep track of it all? Would there be any time left to enjoy my music? Would I even care at that point?

Lol.. when you first appeared I thought you were him, but something seemed off. Finally figured it out.

Actually, I was talking about the over zealous elitist types that offer up their myopic opinions as fact, and come up with ridiculous arguments for why people should not use eq.

You just don't feel like using it. That's cool. As far as I know your not telling anybody they are silly for equeing, which afterall is my only complaint about the whole thing.

Dec 5, 2018 at 11:45 AM Post #39,045 of 63,921

Can you point me at that particular upgrade cable? THX

@LaughMoreDaily , might ping @crabdog and ask what cable he ended up using on the BA-10, if memory serves me right they have a straight connector vs. angled but then again I'm delusional sometimes:rolling_eyes: Probably onset dementia:grin:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back