Knowledge Zenith (KZ) impressions thread
Nov 17, 2018 at 9:23 PM Post #38,191 of 63,975
I have black/black and the stock cable is fine and they sound excellent. I did get the white cable like the pics showed and its a great sounding cable also. That whole thing about the silver zsn being the only one with a good cable hasn’t been proven yet has it? Did anyone do a specific A/B ? Either way the replacement or upgraded cable is inexpensive anyway.......I may grab a silver version sometime but not sure...
ZSN’s are excellent!

Nov 17, 2018 at 9:39 PM Post #38,192 of 63,975
Gearbest told me today that the Tyrian Purple ZSN on their site has a different colored body than the Silver back/Purple body ZSN they call Viola Purple. However, they didn't say which color the faceplate was or the body, but they did point me to a photo of a Black ZSN. I then messaged them again and said that can't be the right photo.

Last edited:
Nov 17, 2018 at 10:08 PM Post #38,193 of 63,975
I admit "garbage" was too harsh a word, and apologize. "inferior" (compared to the other colours) would've been better to use. I'm just a tad disappointed hearing about these quality differences. Still, no excuse to act all peskily about it. It does seem like I will get a great sounding and looking IEM either way so I'm still quite excited. Thank you both for your encouragement.

The wait for the end of the labour Disruption stalling Canada Post begins. Hopefully, my package can arrive sooner rather than later in the week.
I'm in the same boat as you. I ordered them the 25th of last month. It arrived at Vancouver the 6th and it just made its way to Winnipeg. It's halfway there for me :p.

The KZ ZST Colorful was my first KZ, but it just broke. I was so amazed by it, I literally just bought it for the looks of them. But I didn't expect them to be so much more enjoyable than my Shure SE215... Those 100$ IEMs sound so dark and flat compared to the ZST.

Now I'm waiting to get the KZ AS10 (that I wanted to buy first) and my ZSN in purple/silver (because once again, they looked so cool that I just wanted them). Hope I won't be disappointed with the AS10 :p

Nov 17, 2018 at 11:01 PM Post #38,194 of 63,975
I have black/black and the stock cable is fine and they sound excellent. I did get the white cable like the pics showed and its a great sounding cable also. That whole thing about the silver zsn being the only one with a good cable hasn’t been proven yet has it? Did anyone do a specific A/B ? Either way the replacement or upgraded cable is inexpensive anyway.......I may grab a silver version sometime but not sure...
ZSN’s are excellent!

1clearhead was the only one that has said they sound different (someone correct me if I am wrong). Someone else measured the impedance of the cables and found a difference, but we are talking tenths of an ohm... I would be willing to bet that you could have that variance with the same type of cable and connections. I don't see on any of the listings where there is a different cable other than color of wire, (again someone correct me if I am wrong). Not to discount 1clearhead's hearing, but I am skeptical there is a difference...blind testing would be needed to remove any bias for a color preference.

I have been holding off on buying it, I want a black green myself not a fan of pink. I bought enough recently, and was going to buy one later to scratch the itch of a new toy.

Gearbest told me today that the Tyrian Purple ZSN on their site has a different colored body than the Silver back/Purple body ZSN they call Viola Purple. However, they didn't say which color the faceplate was or the body, but they did point me to a photo of a Black ZSN. I then messaged them again and said that can't be the right photo.

Someone in the reviews on gearbest posted a picture of the Tyrian/purple. It looks like the Silver/purple. Wasn't the viola/purple the newly added color that no one seems to know what it is?

EDIT:

Ok found the cable picture differences and the impedance measurements.
ZSN Cable difference pictures
https://www.head-fi.org/threads/kno...essions-thread.698148/page-2496#post-14569015
https://www.head-fi.org/threads/kno...essions-thread.698148/page-2535#post-14598269

ZSN silver color cable impedance pretty consistent ~650mOhm
https://www.head-fi.org/threads/kno...essions-thread.698148/page-2535#post-14597842

ZSN copper color cable impedance 350-1000mOhm, hmm
https://www.head-fi.org/threads/kno...essions-thread.698148/page-2532#post-14596838

Hard to compare only one sampling, but I don't expect anyone here to do QC testing for KZ :o2smile:

Last edited:
Nov 17, 2018 at 11:01 PM Post #38,195 of 63,975
I'm in the same boat as you. I ordered them the 25th of last month. It arrived at Vancouver the 6th and it just made its way to Winnipeg. It's halfway there for me :p.

The KZ ZST Colorful was my first KZ, but it just broke. I was so amazed by it, I literally just bought it for the looks of them. But I didn't expect them to be so much more enjoyable than my Shure SE215... Those 100$ IEMs sound so dark and flat compared to the ZST.

Now I'm waiting to get the KZ AS10 (that I wanted to buy first) and my ZSN in purple/silver (because once again, they looked so cool that I just wanted them). Hope I won't be disappointed with the AS10 :p

My first KZ product was the latest generation KZ ATE, and my bridge into the Chi-Fi world. Admittedly I also bought them for their looks and their supposedly awesome sound (the gold-coloured weights for keeping the wire tucked around your ear was a nice touch). Paired with the AGPtek A02 (aka Ruizu X02) and some FLAC files, I was truly shocked by how much you could get out of so little money compared to other products. I've never actually owned any high-end audio products before that point so it may be strange for me to say but I've still become even more critical about dropping triple or even quadruple as much money for IEMs from "big name" brands than I was before.

This is probably a song sung so many times on this thread before, but now that I'm a First-year university student I'm so very grateful for what the Chi-Fi market offers for those willing to look inside and I hope more students realize there are many more audio products outside their local Best Buy that could help their budget. Seriously, if you came to my university you might be shocked to see the amount of Beats and Sony Extra Bass headphones. Maybe bass is the thing for my generation - I'm not judging if it is just because I also appreciate neutral sound sigs, I mean there's a reason why "V-Shaped" is synonymous with "Consumer-Oriented." But otherwise from my perspective - if I may put it so bluntly - they are all being... well, woefully robbed unaware. Even if they like a lotta bass, there are so many Chi-FI IEMs that can pump out enough of it to satisfy and often even more for a fraction of the cost (KZ EDR1, KZ ED9, KZ ZS3, KZ ZS5 v1, etc.) that I was SO overjoyed to meet A student who used the ATE as their daily driver. I swear we both connected on a spiritual level when we agreed KZ was the way to go lol.

Anyways, I've got the NiceHCK Fukubukuro Lucky bag already in Canada too but it'll probably be delayed also. I'm surprised they used Expedited shipping for the package... no wonder why it arrived very quickly for some. Though I'm horrid with audiophile lingo I might share my thoughts on mine when it arrives (I got the black with no mic), idk. I hope you enjoy your KZ AS10! Though I don't own it myself, it seems to stand as a symbol for how far KZ has come!

Last edited:
Nov 17, 2018 at 11:39 PM Post #38,196 of 63,975
Is kz usb type c cable worth buying
I have zte axon 7 and ipad pro as source now
Will it be upgrade over both
My iems r kz zs5 kz es3 kzes4 now zsn
Kz zs5 sounded thin bassless due to high output impedance on axon 7
Will kz cable make difference
Or are there any better cable of sorts
Has anyone compared kz type c cable to dap audiophile smartphone like lg axon vivo meizu etc

Nov 18, 2018 at 12:51 AM Post #38,198 of 63,975
Not sure if slater posted this yet, but hopefully I'm not spoiling his work :p. I went ahead and fixed my out of phase BT10's.

1ctpo1V.jpg

For TRN BT10 Out Of Phase

* You will probably need a decent soldering iron with a small tip and some needle nose tweezers. These are extremely fragile small gauge magnet wire. This may break one or more of the plastic pins holding the case on, either glue it shut (probably won't need to be in here ever again) or see slater's later post on another solution.

Open case with the buttons and take off the side with the microphone. You can do this by squeezing it, using a plastic smudger/pry tool, or do the stupid things I do and put it in a pair of pliers and gently squeeze until one side cracks allowing you to pull up the case. Once open, the fix is fairly trivial, simply first double check which side is out of phase and then swap R+ & R-, or L+ and L- (circled in the image). There is no need to touch B+ and B-. The case should snap back together when finished. Make sure to align the rubber grommets so they sit inside the case, and make sure to check that the mic hole aligns with the microphone (grey component with holes on the board).

Another interesting note, I didn't see these doing AAC at first, only SBC...they've since linked up to bluetooth using AAC and sound great. My Pixel has aptX but I don't think it sounds any better than AAC.

Last edited:
Nov 18, 2018 at 1:26 AM Post #38,199 of 63,975
The sad thing, is that when 1st released, NO ONE wanted the ZS5 v1! You probably couldn’t have given one away!
That`s the sad thing about chi-fi - some hidden "producers" use feedback from ppl who have lousy or mediocre source gear(typical smartphone) to "re-adjust" their products.
ZS5v1 is like Havi B3Pro 1 - no amping - no rewarding sound! :wink:
When I had B3P1, I didn`t have proper gear like now, unfortunately. But I would have sold them anyway cuz I hated the cable and fit.
Thanks to the ZSN you might not have any takers. :wink:
Doubt it because ZS5v1 "holographic" soundstage is something to have and ZSN can`t match it :wink:

Last edited:
Nov 18, 2018 at 2:03 AM Post #38,201 of 63,975
What's so special about this 'lucky bag' and how did you hear about it? Just searching NiceHCK's Aliexpress site?
So apparently NiceHCK sells a new "lucky bag" product around the time each 11.11 is. If you're not familiar with the concept of the lucky bag (in the Canadian anime conventions I've been to they've been called "grab bags"), it's basically something you're not 100% sure what it is exactly you've bought until you've opened it, though you are given a general idea of what may be inside. GearBest loves doing these more than AliExpress from what I hear.

Anyways NiceHCK's lucky bags have given respectable IEMs and Earbuds in the past which were apparently new products at the time their lucky bags were being sold. Apparently this year the product inside is also new. Notably, the lucky bags are much much cheaper around 11.11 and then skyrocket in price soon afterwards. For example, they were $13.22 CAD for a black IEM with no mic (I paid $7.58 CAD for mine because of an AliExpress coupon) but now it is $35.46 CAD.

I learned about the lucky bag from this chat: https://www.head-fi.org/threads/bes...nd-impressions-sharing-reference-list.805930/ and the page for the bag itself is: https://www.aliexpress.com/item/201...lgo_pvid=2b7dfa35-ee76-4d61-9181-47514e0d668b

Last edited:
Nov 18, 2018 at 5:09 AM Post #38,203 of 63,975
After hearing many good things about the zsn, i can't wait for mine to arrive so i can hear how it stacks up the planar i10.
I've been seeing some more photos of the Black and then the Cyan lately and think the Black wins! But the Cyan seems to be more popular. However, the Silver/Purple will eventually kill them all.

Last edited:
Nov 18, 2018 at 5:15 AM Post #38,204 of 63,975
R there any news about new type c cable or bluetooth cable
I saw trn bt20 it seem amazing thougg

Who's gonna take the leap? I haven't had the best experience with truly wireless bluetooth myself but maybe the source will make a difference this time. Recently got the Samsung Note 9. So, I saw that it the BT20 is bluetooth 5.0 and wonder if it includes APTX?

Nov 18, 2018 at 5:20 AM Post #38,205 of 63,975
Not sure if slater posted this yet, but hopefully I'm not spoiling his work :p. I went ahead and fixed my out of phase BT10's.

1ctpo1V.jpg

For TRN BT10 Out Of Phase

* You will probably need a decent soldering iron with a small tip and some needle nose tweezers. These are extremely fragile small gauge magnet wire.

Open case with the buttons and take off the side with the microphone. You can do this by squeezing it, using a plastic smudger/pry tool, or do the stupid things I do and put it in a pair of pliers and gently squeeze until one side cracks allowing you to pull up the case. Once open, the fix is fairly trivial, simply first double check which side is out of phase and then swap R+ & R-, or L+ and L- (circled in the image). There is no need to touch B+ and B-. The case should snap back together when finished. Make sure to align the rubber grommets so they sit inside the case, and make sure to check that the mic hole aligns with the microphone (grey component with holes on the board).

Another interesting note, I didn't see these doing AAC at first, only SBC...they've since linked up to bluetooth using AAC and sound great. My Pixel has aptX but I don't think it sounds any better than AAC.

Nice job! Just finished a project myself by changing from 2 pin to mmcx connections on my IMR R1. It's in that thread if anyone wants to see. I have some adaptors but they make the plugs way too long.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back