Knowledge Zenith (KZ) impressions thread
Nov 13, 2018 at 8:05 PM Post #37,981 of 63,966
@antdroid i think your graph matches what I hear more closely with a peak at around 11khz.

Never liked the reviews from Phonograph as they seem to contradict themselves constantly.

As someone pointed out, it seems to be less a review site and more a site to pick up coupon codes (which phonograph gets affiliate credit for).

Whether that’s good or bad depends on your point of view.

Nov 13, 2018 at 8:16 PM Post #37,984 of 63,966
The phonograph site is hard to read for me personally. Too many ads strung across the the actual content that I cant even tell what is an Ad and what is a photo that's part of the review. The only thing I end up doing is scrolling to the FR measurements.

Nov 13, 2018 at 8:19 PM Post #37,985 of 63,966
All this positive outcome from the ZSN makes me want the Black on Black! ...Then, I'll have all three ZSN's!
This is surely for me a bad habit. :cry:

While I am not a big believer in cables making a significant impact (unless they really are terrible cables), just for reference, the KZ I measured is the normal black/clear one. I measured with my own balanced 2.5mm cables as I do with every measurement unless cables are not detachable.

Nov 13, 2018 at 8:55 PM Post #37,987 of 63,966
What do you mean, "it's the most conductive cable from KZ stock ones."

Does that mean its better, equal to, or the only company doing cables as good as KZ?
zsn stock cable is made by kz, isn't it?
compared with other kz stock cables (made by kz), this kz zsn stock cable uses better wire, so it had the chance to be the most conductive from kz stock cables (made by kz), if solders were right.
i've not mentioned other brands, i'm talking about stock kz cables (made by kz, or at least, distributed by kz).

Nov 13, 2018 at 9:07 PM Post #37,988 of 63,966
The phonograph site is hard to read for me personally. Too many ads strung across the the actual content that I cant even tell what is an Ad and what is a photo that's part of the review. The only thing I end up doing is scrolling to the FR measurements.

Ever been to the bottom of the Aliexpress coupon page on the phonograph? There’s a lot of stuff down there that’s, ummm, not audio related in the least bit.

Nov 13, 2018 at 9:23 PM Post #37,989 of 63,966
Ever been to the bottom of the Aliexpress coupon page on the phonograph? There’s a lot of stuff down there that’s, ummm, not audio related in the least bit.

LOL good thing I am at home and not at work :)

Nov 13, 2018 at 9:58 PM Post #37,990 of 63,966
look what i have found

https://www.aliexpress.com/store/pr...pter-For-SE535-UE900/1825606_32955022313.html

this is what i was hoping for for a long time (not really fully wireless like this, it would have been also ok if there was a wire between the two)
basically i wanted the housing behind the ears, because its just frustrated to have this hanging down on each side or worse on only one side. every time you turn your head the side with the housing pull the cable down so you end up with no cable on the other side and the next turn rips the headphone of the "no housing" side from your ear.

end even if you have the housing on both sides, its still **** to use it in the gym. every time you lay down to bench press you still have to adjust the headphones because you end up ripping them from your ears while laying down

and i also don't want the mini fully wireless headphones because of the sound quality, battery time and because they are more heavy they can also fall out and because there is no cable to hold it, it drops on the floor (and when you are on the go in the city or so, you may even lose them this way)

so this TRN BT20 receiver/cable looks good for this kind of things because they cant fall out and you don't have to adjust the cable.

the only question is now which chipset was used, the old CSR8670 (CSR8675) or the new QCC5100 series. the new QCC5100 series should have much better battery live.

i have asked NiceHCK about that

this kind of bluetooth receiver would be perfect wireless setup for people like us, who value good sound quality :D

EDIT: now i have asked every seller of TRN BT20 on aliexpress :p

Hi guys... mmh things are getting complicated... I came here to find help and choose between the BT3 and the BT10... and now another one :p well, actually more than another one :s I've seen also KZ has a new cable and other brands are also proposing their BT cables...

https://www.aliexpress.com/store/119089/search?origin=y&SearchText=bluetooth+cable

So... which one should I get (up to 20 USD)? a few months ago I was suggested the trn, but nobody had tried the BT10 yet so I decided to wait and see if there was any comparison with the BT3. But also the new KZ and that **** BT2 maybe...

Nov 13, 2018 at 10:40 PM Post #37,991 of 63,966
I ordered a MMCX and a 2-pin version of the TRN BT20. Will report back on one of these head-fi threads about it. Probably be the Discovery thread or the sub-$100 one since I dont even listen to KZ IEMs much. :)

Nov 13, 2018 at 10:51 PM Post #37,993 of 63,966
I see, that explains things.

That just spurred a marathon reading session about raw Vs compensated curves and I now feel a little more enlightened and less of an ignoramus.

Thanks!

Cool. Just be aware of compensation curves because most of them dont actually tell you HOW they are compensated which is the most important thing to know. That's why RAW is useful, but its hard to read -- but at least its relatively standard as long as you know the limitations of the measurement device. (my MiniDSP EARS definitely has some for Over-Ear headphones and some for IEMs)

For MiniDSP EARS "Compensation" for IEM, they provide a calibrated dataset that is compensated using Diffuse Field compensation with the Etymotics ER4 IEM as the standard. Some other compensation curves may use the Harman Target curve, which also can vary since they release new versions of it every couple years. The most current for IEMs (and only one for IEMs) is 2017. The big difference between IDF (old standard) and Harman IEM curve is the harman curve has a 3-8 dB bass boost but shares similarities in mids/treble.

More fun reading: https://www.innerfidelity.com/content/harman-tweaks-its-headphone-target-response

Last edited:
Nov 13, 2018 at 11:05 PM Post #37,994 of 63,966
Cool. Just be aware of compensation curves because most of them dont actually tell you HOW they are compensated which is the most important thing to know. That's why RAW is useful, but its hard to read -- but at least its relatively standard as long as you know the limitations of the measurement device. (my MiniDSP EARS definitely has some for Over-Ear headphones and some for IEMs)

For MiniDSP EARS "Compensation" for IEM, they provide a calibrated dataset that is compensated using Diffuse Field compensation with the Etymotics ER4 IEM as the standard. Some other compensation curves may use the Harman Target curve, which also can vary since they release new versions of it every couple years. The most current for IEMs (and only one for IEMs) is 2017. The big difference between IDF (old standard) and Harman IEM curve is the harman curve has a 3-8 dB bass boost but shares similarities in mids/treble.

More fun reading: https://www.innerfidelity.com/content/harman-tweaks-its-headphone-target-response

Thanks! Well the compensation You're using seems to match what I'm hearing with ZSN.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back