Knowledge Zenith (KZ) impressions thread
Aug 23, 2018 at 6:40 AM Post #35,746 of 63,878
Very nice clip B, I still have to do a little twist in conjunction with that push especially with new tips on a first time install:wink:

And while I'm in the KZ thread:stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

BENJIE S5, what a good device
I have the AGPTEK M20 which is the same one, dirty cheap but so powerful for its size and price.. i love it

Well, I have made their ''video'' and sent it on, not that will show anything!

It really has to be something like that as a) the cable is good and b) I really cannot see how these can be considered good IEM's in any way. This cannot be in my head!

They have told me to send back the IEMs and they will either give a refund or replace them. I'd say I will go for the refund instead of the replacement, no guarantee I get something right the next time either.

In these cases i always had problems.
Sellers want proofs and u can try to give em proofs, the problem is a video can't show how a pair of headphones is sounding bad
Every time the seller said me to send them back the item and then they would have sent me a new pair.
The problem is that shipping to china is a suicide (at least here in italy) so u just keep a broken headphone if it's faulty or u have to spend 3x the price of the item to ship it back and then without knowing if you will receive a future good headphone or another malfunctioning unit.

Aug 23, 2018 at 7:48 AM Post #35,747 of 63,878
It is interesting and provoking subject.
My wife is pianist and organist as well, and has good sense of music of course.
However she always listen to music through ipad or Galaxy without connection to any audio gear, which is usual trouble to me who has very expensive gears for listening pleasure.
Frequently I question to myself regarding what is really musical pleasure to my wife and me?
There is obvious difference between music lover and audiophile where I belong to, whereas my wife belongs to music??? who does not mind so much for the quality of sound???
The difference between my full size overhead headphones (that do not appeal to my wife) and the earphones or in-ear is not very different to my wife.
Interestingly she loves to go to concert with expensive ticket with me.
These again start to questioning me what is really the music? Perhaps she recreates the quality sonic scene in her brain when she listens to ipad ( not using even earphone at all) to her satisfaction.
I don't think she has hearing problem at all, but she enjoys the music in different way.
These make me think that there is not necessarily bad or good musical gear for the music but there are different phones for somebody's satisfaction.
When you said that you enjoyed ZS6 in the way it is, it also get me rethink about the same question.

Should we set mechanical classification of phones around us and assign different price expectation in order to choose right one, or should we emphasize the uniqueness of the phones where some one can find different value in them?

I think some of the problem is in the ambiguity of the language used. What one person says is "better" may not have any commonality with what someone else defines as "better". In this instance, I interpretted the term better to mean "more technically capable" while the original poster may have intended the term better to mean more musically pleasing. We all know that what pleases an individual is all over the map and thus no two people are pleased to the same degree by the same thing. If we substitute the words "I am more pleased with", for the words, "I find this better", we may avoid a lot of argument due to this disambiguation.

Aug 23, 2018 at 8:02 AM Post #35,748 of 63,878
Speaking about the ED16:
Felt in love at first, but after 2 weeks I'm at a point, where I really hate this treble-peak. Cymbals, Sibilants and other higher frequency stuff can be damn annoying and that's the reason I've decided to gave them away. I prefer my ATE (with the mod of removing the red mesh stuff) and my ZST (after making the slater mod). Its quiet sad, because I like the way the ED16 sounds, when there wouldn't be these peaks... :/
Time for some other chifi stuff :)

Just do the foam mod to the BA driver on the ED16. The procedure would be exactly the same as the ZST foam mod. It solved the sibilance on the 30095 driver in the ZST; it will do the exact same thing to the ED16.

Last edited:
Aug 23, 2018 at 8:09 AM Post #35,749 of 63,878
I think some of the problem is in the ambiguity of the language used. What one person says is "better" may not have any commonality with what someone else defines as "better". In this instance, I interpretted the term better to mean "more technically capable" while the original poster may have intended the term better to mean more musically pleasing. We all know that what pleases an individual is all over the map and thus no two people are pleased to the same degree by the same thing. If we substitute the words "I am more pleased with", for the words, "I find this better", we may avoid a lot of argument due to this disambiguation.

Exactly why when someone says “yO dAwG what’s the best IEM for $25” I’m like :face_palm:

Aug 23, 2018 at 8:16 AM Post #35,750 of 63,878
Just do the foam mod to the BA driver on the ED16. The procedure would be exactly the same as the ZST foam mod. It solved the sibilance on the 30095 driver in the ZST; it will do the exact same thing to the ED16.

I wonder if this could be solved with different tips. I do not hear sibilance, nor piercing highs. I needed Spinfit tips to get them seated properly.

I do think they are very revealing so if the source is at fault ...for example a poorly mastered recording or a badly mic-ed singer, the ED16 might not be very forgiving.

Last edited:
Aug 23, 2018 at 8:17 AM Post #35,751 of 63,878

Ok, I thought about that, but I got a nice deal for a different pair of IEMs, so they are already on the way to another person :)

Aug 23, 2018 at 9:48 AM Post #35,752 of 63,878
I wonder if this could be solved with different tips. I do not hear sibilance, nor piercing highs. I needed Spinfit tips to get them seated properly.

I do thek they are very revealing so if the source is at fault ...for example a poorly mastered recording or a badly mic-ed singer, the ED16 might not be very forgiving.

Bingo, I'd say a piss poor recording/file will sound crappy on 99.9% of the gear out here! As well a finely recorded piece/file will sound pretty darn good on an El Cheapo rig:rolling_eyes: I've had some great recordings sound phenomenal on this $11 dollar obscure DAP mated to these $1.69 clip ons:open_mouth:

Buck Sixty Nine Clipper.JPG

Of course for just a few dollars more ($38.44 to be exact) that same file can sound absolutely killer!

5190 Uh Huh.JPG

Last edited:
Aug 23, 2018 at 10:11 AM Post #35,753 of 63,878
The below list are all 2-pin compatible IEMs, which would technically work with the TRN aptX Bluetooth cable (although you may have to splay the pins slightly or trim off a tiny bit of the plastic shoulder on the Bluetooth plug to get it to fit perfectly).

Some in the list are a little more balanced, some are a bit more v shaped. But all have a tuning that would appeal to a “generic consumer”, which is a category I would suspect your sister falls into.

In no particular order:

- QKZ KD4
- BQEYZ K2 (a little more v shaped and deeper sub bass compared to the KC2)
- BQEYZ KC2 (a little more balanced compared to the K2)
- TRN V80
- KZ ES4 (some say the ES4>ED16)
- KZ ED16 (some say the ED16>ES4)
- phb EM-023

I’m sure others will jump in with some opinions and recommendations as well.

Isn't the EM-023 MMCX?

Aug 23, 2018 at 12:10 PM Post #35,755 of 63,878
I was finally able to get the stock eartips onto the ZS6 and it sounds great. The treble spikes doesn't bother me as i was led to expect from reviews

But i have one problem: When inserting them into ears, they make pop sound. I think its the air seal formed by the tips that causes this.

Is there a fix to this popping sound? its kind of annoying each time they are inserted into ears

Aug 23, 2018 at 12:18 PM Post #35,757 of 63,878
I was finally able to get the stock eartips onto the ZS6 and it sounds great. The treble spikes doesn't bother me as i was led to expect from reviews

But i have one problem: When inserting them into ears, they make pop sound. I think its the air seal formed by the tips that causes this.

Is there a fix to this popping sound? its kind of annoying each time they are inserted into ears

3 different ways to help with the issue:

1. Try holding your mouth wide open while you insert them. Then once they’re in place, close your mouth.

2. You can also try 1 size smaller tips than what you’re using.

3. Finally, you can try memory foam tips instead of silicone tips.

Last edited:
Aug 23, 2018 at 1:52 PM Post #35,758 of 63,878
3 different ways to help with the issue:

1. Try holding your mouth wide open while you insert them. Then once they’re in place, close your mouth.

2. You can also try 1 size smaller tips than what you’re using.

3. Finally, you can try memory foam tips instead of silicone tips.
Thanks. Option 1 did not work. I will try smaller tips when i get home today

Aug 23, 2018 at 5:19 PM Post #35,760 of 63,878
Go for @Slater number 3 choice; foam tips. Works for me every time I get driver flex.

I wasn't bothered by the treble spike either, but foams do attenuate the highs a little and make the ZS6s sound even better IMO.

Yup, agreed. On the ZS6 foams are a great option, and kill multiple birds with 1 stone.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back