Knowledge Zenith (KZ) impressions thread
Aug 22, 2018 at 6:28 PM Post #35,731 of 64,137
Your original question was how do the Kz As10s compare to a couple of open back full sized cans which even you admitted was not a reasonable comparison. I merely tried to provide a comparison of things with some similarities to the cans you ask about.
I think most people have expectations based on price point so It is reasonable to use that as a basis. The ESR is designed to be a studio reference as is the HD800s so they do share similar sound quality and level of details if with differing signatures. The b400 has gotten to be one of the best value picks for iems in much the same manner that the HD6xx has in over-ears so, again, some basis for the use of the two.

You can choose to compare and contrast anything you like, but relevance is lost when you go too far with it.

As far as expecting comparisons that don't involve price, it can be done, but most often you get no more than you pay for although sometimes you get a lot less. As I have said before, even in fairy tales, giants are rare and giant killers are the stuff of legend. If you are lucky, there might be one in your lifetime, not the one every other week that has become the expectation with some people.

zk.PNG

What are your thoughts about this?

P.S. Do check the flair.

Aug 22, 2018 at 6:36 PM Post #35,732 of 64,137
Aug 22, 2018 at 6:50 PM Post #35,734 of 64,137
Sorry Slater, don't have to much info, as it's not meant for myself. My sister was just saying that she was looking for some bluetooth IEM to pair with her smartwatch. So for general use, I would say comfort and balanced EQ are the main criteria. Figured something like ED16 with bluetooth cable would be a decent option (I saw on NIceHCK that there is a new AptX cable?).
Tin Audio T2 with MMCX audio cable could also be an option, would be around $40 with the upcoming sale.

Well, whatever you do stay away from the new KZ Bluetooth cable. Get the TRN aptX cable. The KZ cable looks similar and is 1/2 the cost, but it is full of problems. You may as well throw money down a hole, so get the TRN cable. There are 2 TRN cables that look identical to one another; make sure you get the aptX one (unless you don’t need aptX).

I would also personally go with a 2-pin connection over an MMCX. The 2-pin is going to be much more robust in the long run.

As far as which IEM, you could really go with a number of IEMs. Some of these I own and I’d definitely recommend them. Others I don’t personally own, but respected and experienced HF members have said many good things about them.

The below list are all 2-pin compatible IEMs, which would technically work with the TRN aptX Bluetooth cable (although you may have to splay the pins slightly or trim off a tiny bit of the plastic shoulder on the Bluetooth plug to get it to fit perfectly).

Some in the list are a little more balanced, some are a bit more v shaped. But all have a tuning that would appeal to a “generic consumer”, which is a category I would suspect your sister falls into.

In no particular order:

- QKZ VK1
- BQEYZ K2 (a little more v shaped and deeper sub bass compared to the KC2)
- BQEYZ KC2 (a little more balanced compared to the K2)
- TRN V80
- KZ ES4 (some say the ES4>ED16)
- KZ ED16 (some say the ED16>ES4)

I’m sure others will jump in with some opinions and recommendations as well.

Last edited:
Aug 22, 2018 at 6:59 PM Post #35,735 of 64,137
Woah... That's certainly distinctive. What are they cramming in there that it needs to be so massive?

Robot bric a brac, like gears, motors, circuits, antennas, and the like. It’s KZs 1st IEM for androids and humans alike.

Aug 22, 2018 at 9:31 PM Post #35,738 of 64,137

What are your thoughts about this?

P.S. Do check the flair.

My thoughts, while I would never presume to tell someone they were wrong, I can only imagine that either something is wrong with his hearing or his equipment as in no way, shape, or form, is the Zs6 capable of the level of detail or clarity the LCD2C can produce. If I had to guess, I'd say either his gear is very treble shy and the boost of the Zs6 is bringing some of the life back that has been lacking in more balanced setups, or the person may have a little hearing loss in a critical area that is boosted by the Zs6 and thus brings some life back to music for them. I like the Zs6 for what it is, but it is way overhyped at this point. Its a good $50 class in ear - better things exist at $100.

Aug 22, 2018 at 11:02 PM Post #35,739 of 64,137
My thoughts, while I would never presume to tell someone they were wrong, I can only imagine that either something is wrong with his hearing or his equipment as in no way, shape, or form, is the Zs6 capable of the level of detail or clarity the LCD2C can produce. If I had to guess, I'd say either his gear is very treble shy and the boost of the Zs6 is bringing some of the life back that has been lacking in more balanced setups, or the person may have a little hearing loss in a critical area that is boosted by the Zs6 and thus brings some life back to music for them. I like the Zs6 for what it is, but it is way overhyped at this point. Its a good $50 class in ear - better things exist at $100.

It is interesting and provoking subject.
My wife is pianist and organist as well, and has good sense of music of course.
However she always listen to music through ipad or Galaxy without connection to any audio gear, which is usual trouble to me who has very expensive gears for listening pleasure.
Frequently I question to myself regarding what is really musical pleasure to my wife and me?
There is obvious difference between music lover and audiophile where I belong to, whereas my wife belongs to music??? who does not mind so much for the quality of sound???
The difference between my full size overhead headphones (that do not appeal to my wife) and the earphones or in-ear is not very different to my wife.
Interestingly she loves to go to concert with expensive ticket with me.
These again start to questioning me what is really the music? Perhaps she recreates the quality sonic scene in her brain when she listens to ipad ( not using even earphone at all) to her satisfaction.
I don't think she has hearing problem at all, but she enjoys the music in different way.
These make me think that there is not necessarily bad or good musical gear for the music but there are different phones for somebody's satisfaction.
When you said that you enjoyed ZS6 in the way it is, it also get me rethink about the same question.

Should we set mechanical classification of phones around us and assign different price expectation in order to choose right one, or should we emphasize the uniqueness of the phones where some one can find different value in them?

Aug 22, 2018 at 11:55 PM Post #35,740 of 64,137
It is interesting and provoking subject.
My wife is pianist and organist as well, and has good sense of music of course.
However she always listen to music through ipad or Galaxy without connection to any audio gear, which is usual trouble to me who has very expensive gears for listening pleasure.
Frequently I question to myself regarding what is really musical pleasure to my wife and me?
There is obvious difference between music lover and audiophile where I belong to, whereas my wife belongs to music??? who does not mind so much for the quality of sound???
The difference between my full size overhead headphones (that do not appeal to my wife) and the earphones or in-ear is not very different to my wife.
Interestingly she loves to go to concert with expensive ticket with me.
These again start to questioning me what is really the music? Perhaps she recreates the quality sonic scene in her brain when she listens to ipad ( not using even earphone at all) to her satisfaction.
I don't think she has hearing problem at all, but she enjoys the music in different way.
These make me think that there is not necessarily bad or good musical gear for the music but there are different phones for somebody's satisfaction.
When you said that you enjoyed ZS6 in the way it is, it also get me rethink about the same question.

Should we set mechanical classification of phones around us and assign different price expectation in order to choose right one, or should we emphasize the uniqueness of the phones where some one can find different value in them?
The first thing that comes to mind is that for low impedance gear smartphones are a very good source. The graphs at GSMArena are flat for a lot of phones, especially flagships like Galaxies; THD, signal-to-noise, etc. are also mostly top-notch. Stereo crosstalk is the weakest usually, also output power, of course, but that's less of a problem.
Then the full sized headphones only give extra soundstage by interacting with the outer ear (also the head, if speakers). Everything else is pretty much the same as with IEMs.
Also, when I'm not comparing IEMs or doing other weird nitpicking with the gear or the tracks, music is a holistic, emotional experience. A lack of spacial cue or detail here and there doesn't really make up the most important part of the music.

Aug 23, 2018 at 1:37 AM Post #35,741 of 64,137
Speaking about the ED16:
Felt in love at first, but after 2 weeks I'm at a point, where I really hate this treble-peak. Cymbals, Sibilants and other higher frequency stuff can be damn annoying and that's the reason I've decided to gave them away. I prefer my ATE (with the mod of removing the red mesh stuff) and my ZST (after making the slater mod). Its quiet sad, because I like the way the ED16 sounds, when there wouldn't be these peaks... :/
Time for some other chifi stuff :)

Aug 23, 2018 at 4:14 AM Post #35,743 of 64,137
Hi have the KZ ED09 I know they’re old and not everyone’s cup of tea but I love them .
Are there any 2 pin alternatives that have the same type of signature . Have a new TRN BT3 cable so want to use them with this .

Aug 23, 2018 at 4:42 AM Post #35,744 of 64,137
That sounds like a phase issue, any time you get distant and hollow in the definition I'd start wondering if it is wired out of phase.

Well, I have made their ''video'' and sent it on, not that will show anything!

It really has to be something like that as a) the cable is good and b) I really cannot see how these can be considered good IEM's in any way. This cannot be in my head!

Aug 23, 2018 at 6:17 AM Post #35,745 of 64,137
Well, I have made their ''video'' and sent it on, not that will show anything!

It really has to be something like that as a) the cable is good and b) I really cannot see how these can be considered good IEM's in any way. This cannot be in my head!

They have told me to send back the IEMs and they will either give a refund or replace them. I'd say I will go for the refund instead of the replacement, no guarantee I get something right the next time either.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back