Knowledge Zenith (KZ) impressions thread
Aug 22, 2018 at 12:29 PM Post #35,716 of 63,906
Maybe try to dry it out? Leaving it in a bowl with uncooked rice or silica gel for 1-2 days can be helpful.

Sometimes I wish I had saved all those silica gel packets that come with so many things.

... I am laughing picturing someone placing an iem or device into a bowl of cooked rice:) Good thing you mentioned it needs to be uncooked:)

Aug 22, 2018 at 12:34 PM Post #35,717 of 63,906
Maybe try to dry it out? Leaving it in a bowl with uncooked rice or silica gel for 1-2 days can be helpful.

It's not taking a charge at all and the device is currently dry. I think i might be out $23. I doubt there is a warranty on these.

Aug 22, 2018 at 12:41 PM Post #35,718 of 63,906
Sometimes I wish I had saved all those silica gel packets that come with so many things.

... I am laughing picturing someone placing an iem or device into a bowl of cooked rice:) Good thing you mentioned it needs to be uncooked:)

Ask your pharmacist for a handful of the big desiccant packs. All the drug shipments come with one the size of a softball in them and usually the drug stores throw out a ton of them.

Aug 22, 2018 at 12:42 PM Post #35,719 of 63,906
Ok, I have listened to a good range of music on the AS10's now. My previous comment on bass response was wrong, I believe I was listening to a badly mastered track that just didn't actually have any.

-Bass is fine.
- Treble is not great. It's just not that ''detailed''? The ZST I have is far more detailed.
- The mids and highs appear like they are 'far away' if that makes any sense?

That sounds like a phase issue, any time you get distant and hollow in the definition I'd start wondering if it is wired out of phase.

Aug 22, 2018 at 2:28 PM Post #35,721 of 63,906
Is this helpful?

Very nice clip B, I still have to do a little twist in conjunction with that push especially with new tips on a first time install:wink:

And while I'm in the KZ thread:stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

Budget Magic.JPG

Aug 22, 2018 at 4:37 PM Post #35,723 of 63,906
Hey all, I've been gone for a while, so not up to date with the latest KZ products.
What is the best option for bluetooth IEM <$30
Something like ZS5 + bluetooth cable? Or the ZSR?

Aug 22, 2018 at 4:37 PM Post #35,724 of 63,906
You don't - no iem is going to have a soundstage or comfort like an open back over ear headphone so comparing these is the like comparing a Ferrari and a school bus since they are both technically vehicles.
A more fair comparison would be to a IEM in the same price range with the HD600s or the HD800s. So for that, lets take the Brainwavz b400 at $200 as the HD600 price range and the Empire Ears ESR as the HD800 analogue.

AS10 vs b400 - these are reasonably close in overall with the extension at the low end being better on the AS10 while the detail and timbre is a bit better on the b400. The b400 is flatter than the As10 which is V shaped and a bit elevated in the mid-bass by comparison. For fit, the b400 wins hands down as it is smaller and more rounded while the AS10 feels kind of blocky.
This shows that the AS10 can indeed compete with things in the $200 price point and does show that Kz is learning and improving. Comparatively, I wouldn't put the Zs10 on the same playing field with the b400 as the b400 wipes the floor with it. Kz should have skipped the Zs10 entirely in my estimation as it did little well when compared to other models they already had and fit was a BIG problem for many as large as it is.

As10 vs ESR - no contest at all. ESR wipes the floor with the As10 in every possible category. More detail, better neutrality, better build , better fit, more responsive to EQ, better timbre. I cannot think of one thing where the As10 comes even close enough to make me stop and think about it. Put simply these are not in the same class nor should they be treated as if they were.

Then, The ESR can be compared to HD-800 with respect to SQ only?

My impression of your posting is that if the price level should be comparable, then a comparsion can be possible.
But somebody here including me might expect to see some other way of comparsion that is independent of those prices, for example suprising productivity of Chinese manufacturer with their own added value with different perspective of sonic landscape can be realised.
Or we might start to realize that there might be some sonic value that might deviate from standard or traditional way but a sonic quality of these chinese one can be justified regardless of the price.
After all all things here are for sound generated by the simplest device known as voice coil motor driven by again simplest amplifier, 2 of which are regarded as entrance points on to all electronic and electric devices with respect to technology.
In morden day those simplest ones can be packaged very well with unthinkable price by developing nations with lots of skilled workforces.

Aug 22, 2018 at 5:05 PM Post #35,725 of 63,906
Then, The ESR can be compared to HD-800 with respect to SQ only?

My impression of your posting is that if the price level should be comparable, then a comparsion can be possible.
But somebody here including me might expect to see some other way of comparsion that is independent of those prices, for example suprising productivity of Chinese manufacturer with their own added value with different perspective of sonic landscape can be realised.
Or we might start to realize that there might be some sonic value that might deviate from standard or traditional way but a sonic quality of these chinese one can be justified regardless of the price.
After all all things here are for sound generated by the simplest device known as voice coil motor driven by again simplest amplifier, 2 of which are regarded as entrance points on to all electronic and electric devices with respect to technology.
In morden day those simplest ones can be packaged very well with unthinkable price by developing nations with lots of skilled workforces.

Your original question was how do the Kz As10s compare to a couple of open back full sized cans which even you admitted was not a reasonable comparison. I merely tried to provide a comparison of things with some similarities to the cans you ask about.
I think most people have expectations based on price point so It is reasonable to use that as a basis. The ESR is designed to be a studio reference as is the HD800s so they do share similar sound quality and level of details if with differing signatures. The b400 has gotten to be one of the best value picks for iems in much the same manner that the HD6xx has in over-ears so, again, some basis for the use of the two.

You can choose to compare and contrast anything you like, but relevance is lost when you go too far with it.

As far as expecting comparisons that don't involve price, it can be done, but most often you get no more than you pay for although sometimes you get a lot less. As I have said before, even in fairy tales, giants are rare and giant killers are the stuff of legend. If you are lucky, there might be one in your lifetime, not the one every other week that has become the expectation with some people.

Aug 22, 2018 at 5:48 PM Post #35,726 of 63,906
Hey all, I've been gone for a while, so not up to date with the latest KZ products.
What is the best option for bluetooth IEM <$30
Something like ZS5 + bluetooth cable? Or the ZSR?

Best for what?

Weight, build quality, basshead, clarity, soundstage, forward mids, color choice, cheapest, instrument separation, fit for small ears, least sibilance, sweat resistance, isolation, treble extension, low powered sources, looks, smell, taste?

Aug 22, 2018 at 6:09 PM Post #35,728 of 63,906
Best for what?

Weight, build quality, basshead, clarity, soundstage, forward mids, color choice, cheapest, instrument separation, fit for small ears, least sibilance, sweat resistance, isolation, treble extension, low powered sources, looks, smell, taste?

Sorry Slater, don't have to much info, as it's not meant for myself. My sister was just saying that she was looking for some bluetooth IEM to pair with her smartwatch. So for general use, I would say comfort and balanced EQ are the main criteria. Figured something like ED16 with bluetooth cable would be a decent option (I saw on NIceHCK that there is a new AptX cable?).
Tin Audio T2 with MMCX audio cable could also be an option, would be around $40 with the upcoming sale.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back