Knowledge Zenith (KZ) impressions thread
Aug 6, 2018 at 6:39 AM Post #35,281 of 63,834
How do you reckon KZ managed that?
I have no idea. Looks like 296898 is also Knowles (used in Hisenior T2). The three Knowles drivers alone are more than $70 (even with bulk pricing). I'm guessing, they're misleading about the drivers. That's why they've gone with a opaque shell.
It won't be long before someone cracks open these.

Last edited:
Aug 6, 2018 at 7:15 AM Post #35,282 of 63,834
I have no idea. Looks like 296898 is also Knowles (used in Hisenior T2). The three Knowles drivers alone are more than $70 (even with bulk pricing). I'm guessing, they're misleading about the drivers. That's why they've gone with a opaque shell.

They don't use Knowles. Likely Bellsing is making custom tuned drivers for KZ and just using the same naming scheme as Knowles.

Aug 6, 2018 at 7:21 AM Post #35,283 of 63,834
Priced them accordingly ??

or it's the Channel. i've had left and right channels go bad., it can also be one side reverse polarity. if the hardware checks out all good with different cables, phones, you might have a wonky polarity in the cable.. ive received one like that before.

Not exactly what I was meaning - If you switch the earpieces between ears with the cable still attached, the imbalance should switch sides if it is any of the things you mentioned. When I said switch earpieces, I should have stipulated between ears without disconnecting the cables.

Aug 6, 2018 at 8:18 AM Post #35,284 of 63,834
Gotta agree with this. When you first mentioned the naming scheme, I was doubtful they'd run with Knowles without making it a big marketing headline, and so I also took a look at the prices. They're running on very thin or non-existent margins if they're using Knowles.

Wishful thinking on @Drumkrunk's part.

Aug 6, 2018 at 8:26 AM Post #35,285 of 63,834
22955 & 30095 are Knowles.
22955 - http://www.mouser.com/ds/2/218/-532680.pdf
30095 - https://www.mouser.com/ProductDetail/Knowles-Johanson-Manufacturing/WBFK-30095-000?qs=Q97emo0LRppk1/KuN5A0rw==
20180803140857_99708.jpg

It is more likely that are simply clone BA drivers (from Bellsing or Estron), which often have the same model number to make it easier for customers to select them.

Given KZs direct relationship with them in the past, this is the most likely explanation.

If they did use Knowles, they would not miss the opportunity to proudly advertise it (as other ChiFi manufacturers do). They certainly wouldn’t hide the fact with an opaque housing and no mention of it in marketing materials.

I guess we’ll find out for sure when someone does a tear down.

Last edited:
Aug 6, 2018 at 10:08 AM Post #35,287 of 63,834
Got my ED16 a week ago. Sounds Good on some tracks and OK on others.
I think my right earpiece has a driver flex issue since it makes the crinkling noise when i insert it.
no issues with the sound itself.
Lower Mids seem to be quite recessed in these... Feels like a few frequencies are not (even) produced at all. Let me use them more and see.
When i first got it out of the box the treble sounded unnatural and almost robotic that it got me laughing. :)
But over the course of a week it sounds wayy better but still not full sounding like the Tin audio T2.
Mixed feelings so far about this.. because in some tracks the highs sound lush and controlled, in others not so much.
I've been mostly listening to Metal and various sub genres on these.

That being said i did manage to hear a few details on various metal tracks which were not reproduced audibly/ i hadn't heard on my T2 or SE215 so that's definitely an interesting thing., especially at $15

Aug 6, 2018 at 10:48 AM Post #35,288 of 63,834
Im surprised not many mentioned the kz ed9's! these are my favourite kz iems and i think it provides a fairly neutral sound (with the reduced bass nozzle) that is hard to find in this price range. Really good clarity and bass punch at ~$10usd. Hope to spread more awareness about this beautiful iem!

Aug 6, 2018 at 10:53 AM Post #35,289 of 63,834
Im surprised not many mentioned the kz ed9's! these are my favourite kz iems and i think it provides a fairly neutral sound (with the reduced bass nozzle) that is hard to find in this price range. Really good clarity and bass punch at ~$10usd. Hope to spread more awareness about this beautiful iem!

Actually the ED9 has been mentioned often... if you search the thread you will see. Most of us do agree that it is excellent. It is just that people talk a lot about the whatever is new.

I have them and enjoy them most with the brass (not the shiny) filter.

Aug 6, 2018 at 11:10 AM Post #35,290 of 63,834

Actually the ED9 has been mentioned often... if you search the thread you will see. Most of us do agree that it is excellent. It is just that people talk a lot about the whatever is new.

I have them and enjoy them most with the brass (not the shiny) filter.

Same here.

I have 2 chrome pairs (that contain the old driver version) and 1 Black pair (that contain the new driver version). Despite hearing little if any sonic differences between the driver versions, I like them all the same.

A great IEM. I wish KZ made some new models with interchangeable filters (like LZ A4). Being able to tune an IEM to your individual liking is like getting multiple IEMs in 1. More bang for the buck!

Aug 6, 2018 at 11:36 AM Post #35,291 of 63,834
Same here.

I have 2 chrome pairs (that contain the old driver version) and 1 Black pair (that contain the new driver version). Despite hearing little if any sonic differences between the driver versions, I like them all the same.

A great IEM. I wish KZ made some new models with interchangeable filters (like LZ A4). Being able to tune an IEM to your individual liking is like getting multiple IEMs in 1. More bang for the buck!

My ED9 is black. Happy to have the choice of filters because I have a feeling that if there had not been a choice it would have been tuned like the shiny one which, while I don't hate it, is not my preference.

I only have a couple of other iems with filter choices. One is something I bought from Amazon that has three filters... I still need to play with changing those. Still has the default one install which I think is the treble one.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B075489991/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1

If you look at the photo, I bet you can figure out why I bought it (other than the fact it was a lightning deal at the time). :) I just noticed I never added it to my list and I have had it since for 9 months!

The other is my Trinity Audio Master which came with a billion filters. I am using the green one.

Aug 6, 2018 at 11:39 AM Post #35,292 of 63,834
Same here.

even as kz has produced ever-more complex and pricier hybrids, the ed9 remains at or near the top of my kz heap--the zsr, zs5 etc. have bigger stages and more extension, but lack the indefinable "naturalness" of the ed9. i also prefer the build and fit of the ed9 to the aforesaid--it subjectively feels like the richer piece.

Aug 6, 2018 at 12:09 PM Post #35,293 of 63,834
My early impressions of KZ's new five balanced armature earphone, the AS10; https://thecontraptionist.blog/2018/08/04/kz-as10-first-look/

Can you post a side picture showing the nozzle lengths comparison between the KZ ZS10 and the AS10? I read your article that the AS10 fitment is similar to the ZS10. I just wanted to see if they addressed the fit issue caused by the shallow nozzle length. You got the other angles covered for the headphone comparison!

Aug 6, 2018 at 12:57 PM Post #35,294 of 63,834
How would you compair the uiisii hm7 with other headphones we have here in this thread?

Aug 6, 2018 at 1:00 PM Post #35,295 of 63,834

"misleading", lol. A bit reaching there since pretty sure no mentions of Knowles was ever made. They mostly outsource to Bellsing or maybe even the various BA makers (not hard to find such companies, like Estron or Binary)

Hisenior sells the B5+ (5BA) for around 100 bux and they claim its Knowles BA. Plausible that its either some Knowles BA or lower-end models, since most Hisenior products have gained quite favorable impression. Depending on how the AS10 pans out, the B5+ seems a natural upgrade to it (nearly double the price, but its quite pretty)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back