Knowledge Zenith (KZ) impressions thread
Jul 18, 2018 at 12:18 PM Post #34,741 of 64,011
Thanks for replying - I just edited my post with context: I am looking for natural tonality that ATR/ZS3 kinda had, and was worried when ZS10 was criticised at https://www.headfonia.com/review-kz-zs10/

I will check out ES4 - does it have incoherence like the similar ZST hardware? Actually I have heard both the B400 and Comet, which new KZ do you think strikes a similar balance in terms of relatively natural tonality, resolving just enough detail and sounding fun (there's a ZSA too?!)?

Thanks for the help! Shoutout to the DP-S1 too haha.

Wow, the B400 and Comet are such totally different animals it is hard to consider them in the same sentence. Other than price point and the fact they fit in your ear, they have almost nothing in common. I think based on what you bring up though on natural tonality, I'd give the Es4 a go. I'll make the offer that if you'll cover shipping, I have a Zs6, 10, R, and ES4 that I could send you to audition.

Jul 18, 2018 at 12:19 PM Post #34,742 of 64,011
Any recommendations for some of the smaller KZ IEMs for me to check out? Main reason being I'd like one I can use while in bed. Just looking for some model names which I can then further research on their sound profiles etc.

ED15 comes to mind

Jul 18, 2018 at 12:31 PM Post #34,743 of 64,011
Wow, the B400 and Comet are such totally different animals it is hard to consider them in the same sentence. Other than price point and the fact they fit in your ear, they have almost nothing in common. I think based on what you bring up though on natural tonality, I'd give the Es4 a go. I'll make the offer that if you'll cover shipping, I have a Zs6, 10, R, and ES4 that I could send you to audition.

Thanks for the gesture! Unfortunately I'm a little far so shipping even if affordable is a bit risky haha. Yes it's true I only heard the Comet briefly. Let's focus on the B400 then, I appreciated the coherence and moderate stage but most importantly a decent tonality that works across classical to jazz, EDM, rock and more. ZS3 and ATR aren't perfect but they just sounded 'agreeable' to me even when listening to more expensive gear.

Other than the ES4 do you think any others could be fun without skewing the tonality? I admit I'm hoping you'll say the 6/10/R because I want to try a KZ with more drivers, but at the same time I recognise that the tuning gets only more important when you have more drivers in there.

Cheers!

Jul 18, 2018 at 12:37 PM Post #34,744 of 64,011
Dupe

Last edited:
Jul 18, 2018 at 12:38 PM Post #34,745 of 64,011
Thanks for the gesture! Unfortunately I'm a little far so shipping even if affordable is a bit risky haha. Yes it's true I only heard the Comet briefly. Let's focus on the B400 then, I appreciated the coherence and moderate stage but most importantly a decent tonality that works across classical to jazz, EDM, rock and more. ZS3 and ATR aren't perfect but they just sounded 'agreeable' to me even when listening to more expensive gear.

Other than the ES4 do you think any others could be fun without skewing the tonality? I admit I'm hoping you'll say the 6/10/R because I want to try a KZ with more drivers, but at the same time I recognise that the tuning gets only more important when you have more drivers in there.

Cheers!

I would look at the ZsR, ES4, and ED16 as the most likely to fit what you are after. The ED16 probably comes closest to the b400 of the three as it is the most detailed. It will need a bit of EQ to be as flat as the b400 but the other two have way more of a V than the b400.

The ES4 can be thought of as a shallow V while the ZsR is a bit deeper. The biggest difference is (to my ear) the ES4 has some extra energy at both ends of the V but doesn't scoop the mids. The Zsr in contrast creates the elevation in the ends of the V by recessing the mids pretty considerably.

Jul 18, 2018 at 12:44 PM Post #34,746 of 64,011
I would look at the ZsR, ES4, and ED16 as the most likely to fit what you are after. The ED16 probably comes closest to the b400 of the three as it is the most detailed. It will need a bit of EQ to be as flat as the b400 but the other two have way more of a V than the b400.

The ES4 can be thought of as a shallow V while the ZsR is a bit deeper. The biggest difference is (to my ear) the ES4 has some extra energy at both ends of the V but doesn't scoop the mids. The Zsr in contrast creates the elevation in the ends of the V by recessing the mids pretty considerably.

Wow just how many KZ new models have come out?! The ED16 appears like a good choice though the shape and default cable is a small turnoff. Thanks for the suggestion, will check it out further :)

Jul 18, 2018 at 1:02 PM Post #34,747 of 64,011
Also decided to buy the BS-6 Bluetooth speaker as someone here mentioned it wasn’t too bad and was looking to try out a Bluetooth speaker. No idea if that supports AAC but fingers crossed!

This thread is not good for my wallet!
I watched the review and the sound was impressive for the price.

I'm still trying to resist the urge to order those t6 :)
Knowing Bluedio, they are probably way too bassy, but the price is tempting. Also, ANC probably doesn't work well, but that doesn't concern me too much.
Same here. I'm about to click on the pay button. I found out that you can't control the volumen with the set. You gotta do it with the player.

As far as Bluedio’s ANC, it is very minimal. Bose has it pretty much perfected. Bluedio is slowly improving. Integrity T4S, they only used a single mic. It cuts more of the environmental noise, but also cuts a large portion of the low end frequency. The T5, T6, and the T energy uses a dual mic design and a different ANC algorithm. I haven’t heard the one on the T5 or T6 yet, but I can say that the T energy IEM is improved vs the T4S. It has virtually no detectable effect on the music (in my testing), but it is less effective on the environmental noise itself than the previous iteration. If I had my choice between 1) more impact on the music but more cutdown of the environment vs 2) less impact on the music but less cutdown of the environment, I’d take #2.
T5's ANC is pure garbage. Not because it doesn't cancel the noise but because the quality of the sound is worsened dramatically. If I buy the T6,which the reviews say it suffers from the same effect, is because it isolates rather well without ANC and the quality is really good for the price. But I don't plan on using ANC.

Jul 18, 2018 at 1:03 PM Post #34,748 of 64,011
Wow just how many KZ new models have come out?! The ED16 appears like a good choice though the shape and default cable is a small turnoff. Thanks for the suggestion, will check it out further :)
Shape on the ED16 is fine and it's pretty close to wear-in-bed small, but you have to lay down just right to make it work. While the ZS10 might have the upper hand in terms of bass extension, the ES4 kinda beats it out in terms of bass quality, and the ED16 finds a happy middle for me.

Jul 18, 2018 at 1:07 PM Post #34,749 of 64,011
I watched the review and the sound was impressive for the price.

Same here. I'm about to click on the pay button. I found out that you can't control the volumen with the set. You gotta do it with the player.

T5's ANC is pure garbage. Not because it doesn't cancel the noise but because the quality of the sound is worsened dramatically. If I buy the T6,which the reviews say it suffers from the same effect, is because it isolates rather well without ANC and the quality is really good for the price. But I don't plan on using ANC.

I was looking for a review of the bs-6 but couldn’t find one, could you share please!

Also sounds like we are in similar shoes, don’t really intended to use the ANC function, but can’t argue with a $30 Bluetooth aac headphones!

Jul 18, 2018 at 1:22 PM Post #34,750 of 64,011
Has anyone else gotten the new KZ Bluetooth module?

I've been using the previous model for gym, but I'd like more power to drive ZS3/ZST/ES4 and maybe watching videos on youtube without delay would be great. So is that an upgrade for that? I was considering to upgrade it for FiiO's or Xiaomi's receiver instead but the KZ's price and just for gym propose looks a better deal.

Jul 18, 2018 at 1:42 PM Post #34,751 of 64,011
Your examples seem to lean toward increasing the upper end extension which to me isn't the biggest weakness of the BA. How do you increase low end extension without venting, using the housing as a ported housing, or decreasing efficiency to move more air?
Make it a horn load, increase the internal back cavity of BA(something like CI enclosure with ED system).

There are many ways and I can't write it.

Jul 18, 2018 at 1:48 PM Post #34,752 of 64,011

I've been using the previous model for gym, but I'd like more power to drive ZS3/ZST/ES4 and maybe watching videos on youtube without delay would be great. So is that an upgrade for that? I was considering to upgrade it for FiiO's or Xiaomi's receiver instead but the KZ's price and just for gym propose looks a better deal.

I have tried the newest one, but have been through the previous KZ and the TRN ones and while they were functional felt like was missing something compared to wired. Ended up buying the EarStudio ES100 and haven’t looked back!

Jul 18, 2018 at 1:51 PM Post #34,753 of 64,011

https://www.head-fi.org/threads/kno...essions-thread.698148/page-2314#post-14365086

https://www.head-fi.org/threads/kno...essions-thread.698148/page-2314#post-14364993

Users who are viewing this thread

Back