Knowledge Zenith (KZ) impressions thread
Jul 17, 2018 at 7:53 PM Post #34,711 of 63,907
I got one of those and I regret buying it.

It's not comfortable while walking - the controls area too heavy, from one side. And battery life, in my case, it's not enough.
Sound quality it's OK, but as you mentioned, impossible to watch videos and/or play games.

Do we have other options for these bi-pin cable?

The newer one that he is talking about is balanced on both sides. There are other options, just search on Aliexpress for MMCX bluetooth. No experience myself but heard that these are ok https://nl.aliexpress.com/item/2018...6130-4882-90e6-7a0046ceb695&priceBeautifyAB=0

Jul 17, 2018 at 8:15 PM Post #34,712 of 63,907
Honestly, you'd do well to not focus on what the config of an IEM is and more on the sound that comes out of it.

Well put sir. Solid (and true) advice.

There is absolutely zero guarantee that X or Y driver or configuration will instantly = good sound.

Now, if the OP is looking for a single BA because they are typically super compact in size, and thus good for specific purposes like sleeping, then that is another story. But then again, a micro dynamic driver can be pretty much equally as small as many single-BA IEMs.

But like you said, it all boils down to the end result (the sound). That's where the rubber meets the road.

Jul 17, 2018 at 8:48 PM Post #34,713 of 63,907
They were one of the first mentioned, you missed it.

Not surprised, with 2000 pages, I probably missed a lot more than that.

Thanks

Jul 17, 2018 at 8:54 PM Post #34,714 of 63,907
I think the issue with KZ is that creating a single full range BA is way more complicated than tuning an existing one. it is far easier to use dampers, capacitors and resistors to modify the sound of an existing driver than to alter the basic design to perform differently. Even big names like Noble are having their custom drivers made by Knowles and Sonion because they know when to leave that to those who know it best.

If they cant tune a driver, the likelihood they can create a solid full range BA is almost zero.

Last edited:
Jul 17, 2018 at 9:07 PM Post #34,715 of 63,907
uh, why would you want that? their BA hasn't exactly been super stellar.

The reason why some of these single BA IEMs are pricey is that they use either high-quality BA (like Knowles) or their own developed in-house BA (like Campfire's custom vented BA).
They are still produced by Knowles, sonion or molex(final audio) but on special order and specs and their isnothing like in house BA

Jul 18, 2018 at 1:13 AM Post #34,716 of 63,907
well the reason i was looking for a cheaper single BA iem because i wanted to get listening experience from BA only iems as i had never listened to one i try to guess how the bass will be from these kind of iems

just wanted to experiment :p

Jul 18, 2018 at 1:26 AM Post #34,717 of 63,907
Agree with pain in ear with ES4 with wide bore tenmak. It pains like hell.

But i think wide bore and ifi iem buddy makes them budget slayer. Neutralizer takes them on another level.

TRN v20 doesn't respond to neutraliser well due to treble smoothing decay which can't be turned analytical
I know this are supposed to vary by person, but could you share your ES4 Neutralizer profile :triportsad:

Jul 18, 2018 at 1:57 AM Post #34,719 of 63,907
I know this are supposed to vary by person, but could you share your ES4 Neutralizer profile :triportsad:
usually one should set the frequency volume to minimum threshold but i experiment with this equalizer by relatively increasing certain frequencies to listen to their effect on sound
but yeah setting the frequencies to minimum threshold is the way to go

Jul 18, 2018 at 3:11 AM Post #34,720 of 63,907
Screenshot_Neutralizer_20180718-124121.png

Jul 18, 2018 at 6:46 AM Post #34,721 of 63,907
well the reason i was looking for a cheaper single BA iem because i wanted to get listening experience from BA only iems as i had never listened to one i try to guess how the bass will be from these kind of iems

just wanted to experiment :p

This one is the least expensive single BA that I can find. If you search the forum, there is some discussion about it. The Astrotec AM90. I think it has been around for a long time. Knowles Single Balanced Armature Driver.

https://www.aliexpress.com/store/pr...-Earphones-AM-90-MIC/2885080_32893191632.html

HTB1xvqqcFyZBuNjt_jJq6zDlXXaS.jpg

Last edited:
Jul 18, 2018 at 6:47 AM Post #34,722 of 63,907
Yes - I've really struggled getting the zsr to fit well. I normally use small silicone tips and struggle to get any over the nozzle, which is bigger than all the other KZs I have and makes the tips stretch. Having tried every tip that I have including foam ones which others have had success with but I don't get along with, I have given up on the zsr.

I'm gonna stay far from these then
I'm just really curious to hear how they sound as many people reported amazing reviews

Now i'm really confused.. i like the shape of the zsa, it seems very little and could easily fit my ears. Then i even think about tin audio t2, about spending some more for them

What would you tip me?

Jul 18, 2018 at 6:50 AM Post #34,723 of 63,907
Jul 18, 2018 at 7:06 AM Post #34,724 of 63,907
Jul 18, 2018 at 8:13 AM Post #34,725 of 63,907
The thing to remember with any driver whether BA or dynamic is that efficiency is diametrically opposed to extension. The only way to create a full range driver with good extension at both ends is to sacrifice efficiency. The fact that the Astrotec shows really good efficiency numbers suggests its extension will be lacking. The Campfire Comet on the other hand has an efficiency in the low 90s and an impedance of 48 Ohms as they were shooting for more extension at the expense of efficiency.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back