Knowledge Zenith (KZ) impressions thread
Apr 14, 2015 at 2:51 AM Post #3,272 of 64,000
But is tuna flagship store the new KZ flagship store?

Don't think so... 

Just received my ED8m ( Blue ). I don't know why, but the before burn-in somewhat sounds like the after burn-in EDSE except for the quality of treble and highs. clarity in both instrumental and vocal in treble and highs is not good: has sibilance. Details maybe a little less but doesn't make much of a difference except for symphonies. Mids are far better than EDSE. Bass seems to be a tad more than EDSE. Melodeth does sound a little better in terms of the tone ( a little sweeter ) to the whole stage. Using WASAPI event config in Jriver.

For me ED8m (Red) got improved a lot after burn in. Let know once you think you've burned it in. 

They don't have two colors, one option comes with the package that you posted, the other comes with what I'm assuming is the traditional cardboard box.

I see... thanks for the info : ) 

Apr 14, 2015 at 7:20 AM Post #3,273 of 64,000
  Just received my ED8m ( Blue ). I don't know why, but the before burn-in somewhat sounds like the after burn-in EDSE except for the quality of treble and highs. clarity in both instrumental and vocal in treble and highs is not good: has sibilance. Details maybe a little less but doesn't make much of a difference except for symphonies. Mids are far better than EDSE. Bass seems to be a tad more than EDSE. Melodeth does sound a little better in terms of the tone ( a little sweeter ) to the whole stage. Using WASAPI event config in Jriver.

Also try all ear tips, sound depends very much on them. To my ear, spiral eartips yield best sound. 

Apr 14, 2015 at 7:38 AM Post #3,274 of 64,000
Apr 14, 2015 at 9:33 AM Post #3,275 of 64,000
  Also try all ear tips, sound depends very much on them. To my ear, spiral eartips yield best sound. 

I have tried the following tips on them:

1. Spiral Silicone ( default ) : Sounds decent.
2. TX-400 Comply : A lot of Improvement in High Vocals/Instruments and Treble but at the cost of details.
3. Double Flange Silicone : Enough Improvement in High Vocals/Instruments and Treble besides even better Bass and Soundstage experience with decent details.

So, I would say, #3 option suits me the best.

Apr 14, 2015 at 11:24 AM Post #3,276 of 64,000
My current thoughts:
Does N45 mean that Neodymium has been used in ED8m ( BLUE )? If so, no doubt, why it is more natural sounding ( not funny sounding - as some of you guys believe so ) than EDSE.
EDSE has a sort of damp and closed soundstage. Very rarely, it would open up - depends on Source. ED8m activates better with a much open and airier soundstage.
Details maybe a little less, part of which is suppressed, maybe due to weight of the bass and width of the soundstage in case of ED8m but it's yet debatable. This is because, I have observed details much finer than EDSE in parts of sound, which requires less populated soundstage, such as in case of sounds of light-rainfall in forests, alleys, mountains, valleys and various other natural as well as artistic environments. EDSE just can't amend such details.
Now based on burn-in of EDSE, my whole deduction has changed. I believed that EDSE had a good sub-bass. Rather, it has good mid-bass. I used to think its soundstage was good, especially compared to its bass. Now, I believe, it gets its bass, only because of the small soundstage that it has. Only thing it's best at, compared to anything else that it has, would be its speech clarity and instrument separation at all regions without even a little sibilance - thanks to its double magnetic coil. ED8m has comparatively lower clarity ( as discussed earliar ) but an on-the-go listener won't find any difference if he/she was asked to compare. I have observed certain improvement in highs and treble after a little burn-in and definately expect and predict more, based on reviews by others.
Now, the place where EDSE fails to make an impact - huge failure, is its mids. It gives a detailed but literally, more or less, blank-stereo / mono image of any instrument or voices played in this region, which before burn-in, I used to believe, was exceptionally great ( I guess I was only an amateur )
Also, no doubt, ED8m has better 3D imaging capability as compared to EDSE.
So, I would say that EDSE is relatively mediocre compared to ED8m ( BLUE ). I have no idea, how the RED ones sound.

Apr 14, 2015 at 12:22 PM Post #3,279 of 64,000
Actually, to be more precised, I have had an over-the-ear headset ( Sennheiser HD 202 II ) that sounded like these when I first bought. Now it's been 4 years ( uncountable hours of burn-in ). Till last time I listened to them, they were very good sounding. Required a lot of burn-in - a lot!! I believe that, once the diaphragm becomes a little loose, it will solve the problem with the midrange-bleeding.
Ok, so I was mistaken about midrange-bleeding factor. Does that mean that bass eats up clarity in some frequencies in lower-mid region? Not really! I like bass but I don't like bass ruining music. Till now, I did not have such an experience with these in ears. Although harsh treble and highs with sibilance does irritate at times. For which, burn-in is necessary.

Apr 14, 2015 at 12:41 PM Post #3,280 of 64,000
Very good findings, souvik. I won't talk much about mids since mid is the most confusing part of frequency for me. Talking about highs my ED8 produces airier highs compared to EDSE. They sound more open and thus grant nice spacious feel. Sub bass is good and Mid bass is super punchy. ED8 is very, very good for melodeath, trance, progressive genres. Mids are good enough, though since I have some performers like Havi B3 and Tenore, or SoundSoul to compare, I'd say mids are lacking. ED8 imo are V-shaped IEMs. This doesn't make them bad by any chance, since V sound is pretty fun sound.

Soundstage, fun sound and mid bass quality are two aspects of ED8 that amaze me.

This is about my red ED8. After a lot tip roll I settled on Zero Audio narrow bore medium silicone tips for these. Sweet business :)

Apr 14, 2015 at 12:54 PM Post #3,282 of 64,000
Very good findings, souvik. I won't talk much about mids since mid is the most confusing part of frequency for me. Talking about highs my ED8 produces airier highs compared to EDSE. They sound more open and thus grant nice spacious feel. Sub bass is good and Mid bass is super punchy. ED8 is very, very good for melodeath, trance, progressive genres. Mids are good enough, though since I have some performers like Havi B3 and Tenore, or SoundSoul to compare, I'd say mids are lacking. ED8 imo are V-shaped IEMs. This doesn't make them bad by any chance, since V sound is pretty fun sound.

Soundstage, fun sound and mid bass quality are two aspects of ED8 that amaze me.

This is about my red ED8. After a lot tip roll I settled on Zero Audio narrow bore medium silicone tips for these. Sweet business
smily_headphones1.gif

Can you try and listen to "Teri Deewani" by "Kailash Kher" ( Bollywood ) and tell me if you find the highs and treble still pleasant on your Red ED8m. Try at different volumes.

Apr 14, 2015 at 1:37 PM Post #3,283 of 64,000
Can you try and listen to "Teri Deewani" by "Kailash Kher" ( Bollywood ) and tell me if you find the highs and treble still pleasant on your Red ED8m. Try at different volumes.
haha Kailash Kher's voice itself always has sounded sibilent to me xD but will give it a spin.

Apr 14, 2015 at 1:53 PM Post #3,284 of 64,000

That is to be determined, but I'm cautiously optimistic. I wouldn't recommend to anyone yet until we get some meaningful feedback. Let's hope the lackluster SQ of the ED8 isn't repeated.

Come on man, ED8 isn't lackluster by any means. It has its unique sound which is suits very well to certain genres. In fact, I pounced on ED9 on very first day only because my trust in KZ was unbroken by ED8.

Let's not judge things by our own taste.

I only had the blue, not red version (two sets - got rid of both). I didn't like the sound signature, specifically the muddy bass. And the design - too much metal - too heavy. The EDSE were superior in every way to my ears. The reds must be better?
As long as you guys like the ED8 - that's great! I remember when if first came out many of us weren't happy with the blue version. Hisoundfi, for example, iirc.
For the ED9 - I'd rather see people hype it AFTER they actually get a pair (and I assume like the SQ) as opposed to before 
normal_smile .gif

Apr 14, 2015 at 2:16 PM Post #3,285 of 64,000
And the design - too much metal - too heavy. The EDSE were superior in every way to my ears.

Much heavier than EDSE? Edse is already too heavy for me (compared to piston2), can`t imagine even more heavy ED8 
rolleyes.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back