Knowledge Zenith (KZ) impressions thread
Apr 9, 2018 at 8:15 PM Post #30,301 of 63,916
With those first opinions about the ZS10, as the signature is different from the ZS6, it may be now interesting to see comparisons between them and the ZSR. If, versus the ZS6, they have more bass, less treble, bigger soundstage, plastic housing... from that they seem more similar to the ZSR. Maybe they a more a direct upgrade from them.

Your observation may not be very far from the truth if the balanced armatures in the ZS10 are simply the ZSR balanced armatures times two. We know that both the ZSR and the ZS10 share KZ's 10mm dynamic driver and KZ's 30095 BA. If the ZSR midrange BA is KZ's 50060 BA found in the ZS10 then it will be interesting to hear the differences in sound signature between the ZSR and ZS10. Reinforcing the midrange and the tamed treble by doubling the BAs should make them more forward or at the very least the midrange and treble should have more presence. It will be interesting to hear how the more recessed positioning of the BAs changes the presentation.
HTB1keubg.R1BeNjy0Fmq6z0wVXao.jpg_640x640q90.jpg

If the ZSR and ZS10 sound very similar then I'll stick to my earlier assertions that the better choice for the ZS10 would have been the 8mm dynamic driver which would likely give the ZS10 a more refined HDS1 sound signature........maybe. That would be great since the ZSR has given us a more refined HDS3 sound signature. The HDS1 is quite good regardless of price but as is common for KZ IEMs the price-to-performance was off the charts for an $8 in-ear monitor.

HDS1:
https://www.head-fi.org/showcase/bi...ic-pronunciation-ear-headphones-silver.21143/
71d7MErL9IL.jpg
71sXtryRtvL.jpg
71Sv3latbEL.jpg

Last edited:
Apr 9, 2018 at 10:46 PM Post #30,303 of 63,916
KZ just a reminder for the ZS4:

R0OzYlM.jpg

Also, I'd love to see PVC tubes for the DD and 2pin sockets wired correctly.

Best regards!

Actually, the zs3s dont fall off as bad as the zs6 without the lip. The design of the zs3 is ergonmically perfect for my ears and is one of my favorite kzs to date.l for running. I do wish I could hear more detail like the zs6s but you dont really need detail when you are running; just awesome beats and bass to keep you motivated. That's why the zs4s look very very promising as long as they keep the size and ergonomics the same

Apr 9, 2018 at 11:19 PM Post #30,305 of 63,916
Taming the KZ ZS6 treble: first attempt.

My Dunu 75 ohm impedance adapter arrived today. It had been described by headflux.de how a higher output impedance alters the frequency response curve.

Be warned: this is NOT a miracle cure.

1. iPhone 5S: the adapter really takes out lots of volume, you have to turn it up to the top...but it does not remove lots of treble. When adding the dragonfly dac/amp, it works a bit better, volume wise.

2. iPhone 5S (80% volume; connected by headphone jack) and Fiio E12 Montblanc amp: to my surprise, there is not enough volume coming out of this powerful amp (much more powerful than the dragonfly), when the adapter is used. Totally useless. This means, the amp's output impedance must be naturally high...but it isn't, it is <0.3 ohm. I am at a loss here.

Photos1-1.jpg
photos 4.jpg
photo 6.jpg

Last edited:
Apr 9, 2018 at 11:24 PM Post #30,306 of 63,916
Taming the KZ ZS6 treble: second attempt.

Well, a simple eq...I have never eq-ed before. The only decent eq app I found for the iphone was integrated in the free Onkyo Music Player...my fingers are relatively big for adjusting the curve. Now this works better sound wise. This curve is only tentative, for initial testing purposes.

I am sure, more savvy eq-ers have developed the perfect eq model graph for the ZS6.

Suggestions are welcome!

Photos2-1.jpg

Last edited:
Apr 10, 2018 at 12:33 AM Post #30,307 of 63,916
Actually, the zs3s dont fall off as bad as the zs6 without the lip. The design of the zs3 is ergonmically perfect for my ears and is one of my favorite kzs to date.l for running. I do wish I could hear more detail like the zs6s but you dont really need detail when you are running; just awesome beats and bass to keep you motivated. That's why the zs4s look very very promising as long as they keep the size and ergonomics the same

+1 on this. ZS3 shell = awesomeness.

Patiently been waiting for the ZS4, which should be the sound upgrade the ZS3 always needed - then it will be pretty much perfect for me (ie perfect fit, awesome sound) :)

Apr 10, 2018 at 12:37 AM Post #30,308 of 63,916
Taming the KZ ZS6 treble: first attempt.

My Dunu 75 ohm adapter arrived today. It had been described by headflux.de how a higher output impedance alters the frequency response curve.

Be warned: this is NOT a miracle cure.

Agreed; the impedance adpaters aren't the answer. (a few dBs at most).

Once my new soldering iron comes, I'm going to be experimenting with disabling and/or rewiring the BAs in the ZS6, maybe tinkering with the crossover. I also still need to mess with all of the different nozzle filters (just been too busy latey).

Here's my measurements with the adjustable volume adapter (ie potentiometer) posted a few weeks ago. I tried to volume match each test as close as possible (quick and dirty), but I'm off by a couple 2dB. The point is that (volume matched) there was virtually no difference in the treble region with/without the impedance adapter.

IMG-1498.PNG
IMG-1499.PNG

Last edited:
Apr 10, 2018 at 2:01 AM Post #30,309 of 63,916
My red no mic ks10 has been marked as “shipped “according to Ali, altho think seller has just clicked that button as countdowb was running out (I did extend 7 days)

Waiting to see if there is actually any movement now!

Apr 10, 2018 at 2:07 AM Post #30,310 of 63,916
With those first opinions about the ZS10, as the signature is different from the ZS6, it may be now interesting to see comparisons between them and the ZSR. If, versus the ZS6, they have more bass, less treble, bigger soundstage, plastic housing... from that they seem more similar to the ZSR. Maybe they a more a direct upgrade from them.
These were my thoughts since the first Asian impressions. I expect the ZS10 to sound a lot like the ZSR. Will compare them once they arrive.

Apr 10, 2018 at 2:16 AM Post #30,311 of 63,916
Wait, how did you guys get your ZS10s already? It says dispatch 18th of April on Gear Best's website and arrives late April-mid May on Amazon. I'd love to get a hold of a pair of those. Especially after seeing your guys' impressions on them.

Apr 10, 2018 at 2:19 AM Post #30,312 of 63,916
Thanks for tip.I tried some of them and everything looks fine.

Strangely my head hurts when I am listening to them, like someone is trying to compress brain by hands. After changing to Xiaomis HD Pros 75% of this feeling is lost after few seconds. (Source is FLAC, Fiio K1/Oneplus 5)
(I left them playing music on medium volume for whole night)
Overall after 15 minutes of listening, comparing them to Xiaomis HD Pros. For bass driven music they are ZS5 better. For other things I would say HD Pros are probably better.
In case of Xiaomi HD Pros I have feeling that main part of music is singing and bass are supporting them. In case of ZS5 it is switched, singing supporting bass part of music.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back