Knowledge Zenith (KZ) impressions thread
Feb 22, 2018 at 12:57 AM Post #28,396 of 63,836
Unrelated to this thread, but on the topic of cheap audio...VE Monk Plus are quite kick ass for $3. They definitely hit above their price by far if you can stand earbuds.

Also! They're a lot better than ED12. Ha.

Feb 22, 2018 at 1:02 AM Post #28,398 of 63,836
How do you reuse the shells?

Pop the shells apart, remove the stock drivers, install better drivers, put the shells back together.

It's definitely easier to do with full size headphones though (I reuse headphone shells all the time). IEMs are the same idea; just miniaturized.

Last edited:
Feb 22, 2018 at 1:54 AM Post #28,399 of 63,836
Unrelated to this thread, but on the topic of cheap audio...VE Monk Plus are quite kick ass for $3. They definitely hit above their price by far if you can stand earbuds.

Also! They're a lot better than ED12. Ha.

Try the Vido or EMX500 next. To me they are much better value than the monk plus.

Feb 22, 2018 at 7:28 AM Post #28,401 of 63,836
How do the DT5 compare to the EDR2, HDS3, and ED9...all of which I have and all of which are still available. I speculate, the three models cover the DT5 somewhat.

I can tell you from memory that the soundstage alone sets the HDS3 apart from the DT5. The HDS3 was one of my early favorites from KZ. It also contributed to my interest in micro-drivers (6mm or smaller).

To my ears:
The HDS3 requires adequate power to sound it's best.
The DT5 sounds box...ish compared to the HDS3 and ED9.
The EDR2 is the most neutral and cleanest sound signature (great but not my preference).
The ED9 is one of the best takes on a "V" sound signature for a sub-$50 IEM (great build, too).
I prefer the HDS3 to the ED9 due to better definition in the bass and soundstage width.

I'll have to hunt down pics of my HDS3. I've not listened to them in months, but I am listening to them right now and can hear exactly why I enjoyed them so much. Though they are not perfect, they remain one of my all-time-favorite KZ's. I've been waiting for KZ to release a more refined version of the HDS3 and thus far the ZS6(i) came the closest, but the placement of the treble spike (10k), which is not a problem for me, meant it would not be a direct replacement. You can see from Headflux graph that the HDS3 spike was at approximately 7.5k and not 10k. Hakuzen's graph shows the ZS6(i) 10k treble with the more vivid and forward mids in the 2k -4k region as well.

HDS3
KZ-HDS3-web-1.jpg

ZS6(i)
Screenshot_2018-02-22-05-11-46.png

I'm hoping the ZSR, which I just received, will oblige or perhaps the ZS6(ii). If the ZSR 2K - 4K region mimics the HDS3 and the treble emphasis is at 7.5k then I think we may have a direct replacement for the HDS3. If it turns out that either the ZSR or the ZS6(ii) sounds like a more refined HDS3 then I will purchase multiple sets. MULTIPLE!

Anyone who has the HDS3 and the ZS6(ii) or ZSR feel free to chime in with your thoughts.

Last edited:
Feb 22, 2018 at 9:31 AM Post #28,402 of 63,836
About ED10 - for me it was quite good sounding at first due to quite sparkly and detailed highs but soon realized that it has pretty strong V-shaped signature, which made me put them in drawer.
It even got "harsh" with highs in longer listening sessions, Even after cable change to little higher impedance it still stayed too "harsh" and V-shaped, with sucked-out mids for my taste.
If I listen them atm, then even ED9 fits me better despite little "splashy" and unnatural highs. I would take ATR/ATE/ED9 over ED10 atm.
I think those QKZs are different drivers or someone has new toy syndrome like I did with ED10.
JMSHO :wink:

Feb 22, 2018 at 10:34 AM Post #28,403 of 63,836
The ED9 is one of the best takes on a "V" sound signature for a sub-$50 IEM (great build, too).
The jury is still out on the ED9. It has been catching dust for the last year but possibly wrongly so. I first followed every reviewer's recommendation and used them with the shiny "gold" filters that produced a big bass. The matte "bronze" filters were out of the question. But the ED9 were fatiguing to me, possibly a pushing mid-bass was the culprit - and they are really heavy.

One year later, and after appreciating the Tinaudio T2, I changed filters and find the matte ones appealing.

To be continued...

Last edited:
Feb 22, 2018 at 12:39 PM Post #28,405 of 63,836
Feb 22, 2018 at 12:56 PM Post #28,408 of 63,836
What's the sound signature like and are they good as the KZ ZST or ES3 for example?
I don't have those (see my sig). They are not dissimilar to the ZS6 but better IMO. Less-piercing highs, deeper soundstage.

Last edited:
Feb 22, 2018 at 2:19 PM Post #28,410 of 63,836

Users who are viewing this thread

Back