Knowledge Zenith (KZ) impressions thread
Jan 26, 2018 at 9:49 AM Post #27,361 of 64,160
snap

ZS6_red.jpg

Jan 26, 2018 at 10:14 AM Post #27,362 of 64,160
They look like the $1000 IEMs that KZ copied the design from. Or just a color preference.
I have them. Could sell them if planned to buy something new. But I live in Canada and the delivery will be the same price as that of the IEMs. If not even more.

Last edited:
Jan 26, 2018 at 10:48 AM Post #27,363 of 64,160
I know, right!

...ain't it awful, LOL

I'm just imagining these in a white satin finish with brass screws, brass mesh under the faceplate vents and this tri-braided cable.

Why do I torture myself?

Now imagine exactly the same picture with the cable being green as grass. That is what mine looks like in less than 3 months from purchase.

Jan 26, 2018 at 10:50 AM Post #27,364 of 64,160
… Dag Nabbit, forgot where I was again speaking of the lovely Tri-Braid (Which works well Aesthetically with all four colors):grinning:

If I actually took pictures I could add my pair to the set although there's a 2.5mm balanced plug on the end of mine. When I was buying a few other DIY bits I went looking for an inexpensive MMCX balanced cable. About $25 was the cheapest I could find. I remembered that I was quite pleased with the 4 braid KZ upgrade cable and that they made it with MMCX connectors also. Long story short, after buying a MMCX and an additional KZ 2 pin along with 2 nice 2.5mm TRRS jacks, less than 20 minutes and a soldering iron I had 2 balanced cables for under $25. About half of that 20 minutes was spent scouring the web for the proper wiring for the 2.5mm balanced connector. I learned that the 3.5mm balanced connector on my HiFiMan IEMs is wired differently so I'll need a 2.5mm balanced to 3.5mm balanced adapter. Why could the industry not agree on the wiring? And the size for that matter since I learned there's a 4.4mm balanced size too.

Jan 26, 2018 at 10:52 AM Post #27,365 of 64,160
LOL, you have a point @bsoplinger but that just sounded so cruel:open_mouth: In their defense as with the Dasterdly Beats and Blose they do put out sound:rolling_eyes:

MHO is both Slater and the Doc have given a pretty good description of the K4's and size, fit and finish for 20 bones are top notch, little lacking in clarity and what I call mobile midrange they can hold their own at $20 with other V-shaped iem's and some a little more expensive:wink: As cheap as they are almost everyone who looks at them compliments their look:thumbsup:

In reference to Slater's comment on them sounding good with lesser/cheaper DAPS mine have always sounded really good with my Mrobo 5:beerchug:

Dang, better get politically correct for the thread I'm in, Mrobo 5 also sounds pretty good with these shiny puppies:stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

Can confirm. I generally use the K4's with my Benjie S5. It's one of my favourite travel combinations, along with the KZ ATE (see what I did here to keep things on topic?). Both are small and sound great toghether.

Jan 26, 2018 at 10:52 AM Post #27,366 of 64,160
This takes me back to the exchange between Sheriff Bart and the Waco kid when they both answer "I must; I must":rolling_eyes: So outside of the obvious know fact that Balanced has a better energy flow my feeble mind is convinced (seems it's not hard to do) that with the balanced I get a better cohesiveness across the ranges and that I hear (like the imaginary trumpets) full extension and closer to the edges of each start and cutoff. Once again this is just my opinion and I could very well be as full of you know what as a Christmas Turkey:open_mouth: I also run balanced on all my home gears where balanced connectivity is allowed:wink:

Indeed those are Clear's prized Sendiy M1221's and at first I was not blown away even getting mine for $99 but with a bunch of tip rolling I stumble onto a pair (not even sure what kind I have on them or from wince they came) but now I'm getting a great fit and seal therefore a great payoff, they give my P1/PX's a real run for the money and actually have just a little better treble/Mid presence.

Running TMC balanced between my pre's and power:stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

Dag Nabbit, forgot where I was again speaking of the lovely Tri-Braid (Which works well Aesthetically with all four colors):grinning:

I have to tell you that I literally guffawed and cracked up when reading your last post. I thought I was the only person on the planet that exclaimed "dang nabbit". Cracked me right up to actually see it in writing.

Jan 26, 2018 at 10:57 AM Post #27,367 of 64,160
Now imagine exactly the same picture with the cable being green as grass. That is what mine looks like in less than 3 months from purchase.
Mine is green too. :frowning2:
Think I'll stick with the KZ's braided gray cable... no more silver with clear coating for me.

Jan 26, 2018 at 11:16 AM Post #27,368 of 64,160

aaaaaaand we're back to reality. Thanks for that Wiljen.

Yeah, this lover'ly photo was taken three months ago, but my cable is "green with envy" (shameless quip I know,.....so point at me and whisper bad things under your breath starting in...3....2....1....NOW) because my other cables are fully dressed in modest apparel (black sheathing), but my tri-braid cable is shamelessly streaking through the house like a 6 month old that's blissfully unaware that the diaper fell off........again.

Last edited:
Jan 26, 2018 at 11:22 AM Post #27,369 of 64,160
Sad as they are great looking cables when new but obviously not designed to exclude Oxygen as they start turning green about as quick as the pack is opened. I had even wondered about buying one and dropping it in bucket of plasti-dip or shellac to see if you could seal it.

Jan 26, 2018 at 11:24 AM Post #27,370 of 64,160
If I actually took pictures I could add my pair to the set although there's a 2.5mm balanced plug on the end of mine. When I was buying a few other DIY bits I went looking for an inexpensive MMCX balanced cable. About $25 was the cheapest I could find. I remembered that I was quite pleased with the 4 braid KZ upgrade cable and that they made it with MMCX connectors also. Long story short, after buying a MMCX and an additional KZ 2 pin along with 2 nice 2.5mm TRRS jacks, less than 20 minutes and a soldering iron I had 2 balanced cables for under $25. About half of that 20 minutes was spent scouring the web for the proper wiring for the 2.5mm balanced connector. I learned that the 3.5mm balanced connector on my HiFiMan IEMs is wired differently so I'll need a 2.5mm balanced to 3.5mm balanced adapter. Why could the industry not agree on the wiring? And the size for that matter since I learned there's a 4.4mm balanced size too.

Rumor is that the industry may be moving toward 4.4 balanced because the 2 5mm has a reputation of snapping due to the thinness of the TRRS pin.

.........just a rumor though.

Jan 26, 2018 at 11:33 AM Post #27,371 of 64,160
Rumor is that the industry may be moving toward 4.4 balanced because the 2 5mm has a reputation of snapping due to the thinness of the TRRS pin.

.........just a rumor though.

That one has floated a couple times before and never seems to gain much traction as the real estate the 4.4 takes up is so much larger than the 2.5 it would require a redesign of a ton of boards and devices to fit.

Jan 26, 2018 at 11:57 AM Post #27,372 of 64,160
Can somebody tell me please, how sennheiser ie80 sounds comparing to zs6? Some pros and cons? I haven't such possibility to listen to ie80 but it looks pretty good for me to make myself a present for BD. I want to find universal IEMs with good bass, crisp mid and high, and about $100-150 price.
I love everything in my zs6 exept bass (want more lows).

Jan 26, 2018 at 12:54 PM Post #27,374 of 64,160
Can somebody tell me please, how sennheiser ie80 sounds comparing to zs6? Some pros and cons? I haven't such possibility to listen to ie80 but it looks pretty good for me to make myself a present for BD. I want to find universal IEMs with good bass, crisp mid and high, and about $100-150 price.
I love everything in my zs6 exept bass (want more lows).
I dont own the ZS6 but I can give a brief description of the ie80 from memory and my notes I had taken down last time. Bass is very deep and powerful but the mids are not engaging enough for my preference and aren't that crisp, treble has a slight boost with a very typical 'fake' dynamic airy feel. The 1 very unique thing about the ie80 sound is its soundstage. It sounds very hollow and wide. It has very good "depth". The vocals on the ie80 are its weakest point I feel and the details are just meh or acceptable. Im quite sure zs6 is brighter and the mids might be on the same level tbh idk, all this speculation are from all the readings in this thread and information collection.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back