Knowledge Zenith (KZ) impressions thread
Dec 14, 2017 at 3:09 PM Post #26,326 of 63,966
That looks pretty nice. I just don't quite understand the need / use for this sort of thing. It seems to me that the small C-cell battery size or 9 volt cell sized standalone style Bluetooth adapter would be more useful. It's got way more room for a battery. It is that much trouble to take the cord and wrap the unnecessary part up? Or is there something I'm missing here? I'm guessing I'm missing something because these style are so popular.

You mean this style?

https://m.gearbest.com/headphone-accessories/pp_663674.html

Dec 14, 2017 at 6:21 PM Post #26,328 of 63,966
And now for another appreciation of KZ's greatness...

I built myself an amp to use almost exclusively with my ATH-M50.

But the other day I decided to test some IEMs. Boy, do they sound differently when properly amped...

Concerning the KZs amped via this modified RA1 clone with different caps, connected to my X3II (dock line out):
- ZS5 (v1): scales really well. The awesomeness just gets better;
- ZS3: wow! I really didn't care much about these until I started using different wide-bore XL silicone tips, silver cable and a better DAP/AMP. They opened their sound, lots of bass, good highs, good mids, good soundstage, great IEM! I love them now (that is, until I connect them to my smartphone again...).
- ED9: For 15 minutes they are ok. From then on they start to get tiring with their piercing highs. But the bass gets really boosted with this amp.
- ATE: I love the ATE in every way. For me, the best KZ ever regarding quality/price/design/comfort. Amped, they get somewhat congested with more dynamic passages, but maintain the lush mids, the sweet sweet female voices, the good grip on the bass. Use with jazz, classical, etc.
- ZSE: crap when amped... they sound tinny and hollow... and I really like them otherwise.
- ZST: very good. Sounds about the same when unamped, maybe a little bit bassier, but with the same resolution and wide soundstage. A great combo with this amp.
- EDSE: not much diff.
- ED12: still the worst piece of %$#%$ KZ ever made. IMHO!
- IE80: the treble gets really weird. Boosted in all the wrong places. (directly through my X3II or S5, or Topping NX2, they are one of the best KZs. They didn't get along with this amp)
- EDR2: the bass keeps falling short. These would be great IEMs if they had just a little bit of subbass...
- HDS1: meh...
- ATR: dullness amplified

Notice that this appreciation is done exclusively with my DIY headphone amplifier.

Tell us (well me anyway) about that amp!

Dec 14, 2017 at 7:55 PM Post #26,330 of 63,966
IMG_20171201_130423.jpg IMG_20171201_130542.jpg
IMG_20171201_130423.jpg
IMG_20171201_130542.jpg
Nothing too fancy. An old 4556 opamp, Alps 10k pot, 4.7uf admission caps. And a virtual ground circuit, connected to 2 9v batts or a 24v DC transf. Like the Grado RA1. Or a hyped Cmoy...

Attachments

• IMG_20171201_130423.jpg
    IMG_20171201_130423.jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 0
Dec 14, 2017 at 9:16 PM Post #26,335 of 63,966
Bluetooth cable is a good option. If I got those earphones, I may consider replace the original cable.
I ordered the KZ Bluetooth cable, since it was $2.99 a few days ago. I don't know if I'll use it much, but for the price, I couldn't resist...

Dec 14, 2017 at 9:21 PM Post #26,336 of 63,966

Nothing too fancy. An old 4556 opamp, Alps 10k pot, 4.7uf admission caps. And a virtual ground circuit, connected to 2 9v batts or a 24v DC transf. Like the Grado RA1. Or a hyped Cmoy...
Isn't the more the routing (more complex, more stages, more complicated) from the source to the speakers will causing more unwanted deviation toward the original sound??
Sorry as I'm an EE and believe in the more simple connection (prefer direct connection) from source to the end will have less deviation from the original as every single add on will contribute to artificial deviation from the source... just my 2 cents :beerchug:

Dec 14, 2017 at 9:49 PM Post #26,338 of 63,966
LMAO I love this garbage attitude. "Pffft if you like bass get BEATS."

Because, obviously, TRUE audiophiles like their music to sound like it's coming out of an answering machine. All us chumps who like a full frequency range are just peasants, right?

I'll take this for an open can, thanks.

5600594.png
Whats an "answering machine"??

Dec 14, 2017 at 10:00 PM Post #26,339 of 63,966
[QUOTE="SomeTechNoob, post: 13913567, member: 462664"

It's always difficult to compare IEMs and headphones. Such similar use cases but totally different execution.[/QUOTE]
True story.
I was listening to my ES3 and then putting on various over ear headphones and the closest match was with my Fidelio L2...the L2 are clearly another level in sound quality...but the ES3 seems to be doing similar things in similar ways. It's hard to put your finger on it...

Dec 14, 2017 at 10:10 PM Post #26,340 of 63,966
Hello!

I need your advice Head Fi people!

-----Ordered Kz Zs3 on sale yeah, well for 2 minutes i was amazed and felt like everything else before i used was crap,(Kanen KM92)
Well 2 minutes i was happy and amazed by ZS3..then the broke, Left ear became dominant, review video where speech is was all on left side.

- ZS3 became unbalanced, i cant use them drives me nuts! Gearbest gave em partial refund.
ordered another one straight away...hoping they wont be defective as well, lets see

TL;DR My Zs3 became unbalanced, one side dominates, Did the foam removal thing, did not help.

oh, And the box was white,not like ATE or ATR
(i like ATR the most,just sounds balanced in terms of sound, its in the middle stereo, ATE is like 60/40 and Zs3 is like 80/20
i got defective KZs...

tips,advices? (yes, my third pair will buy insurance from Gb so they send replacement if its a dud next time)
ANYONE ELSE HAD ISSUES? please share!
Yeah. I've seen at least 5 people in a local audiophile fb group whom had bought new stocks of ZS3 (white box) that are complaining about driver failure. Their right earpiece are completely shot. No sound.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back